The Charlie Sheen Train Wreck

Johnny Utah

Holy ****! Episode 3: Torpedoes of Truth Part 2, Sheen's Corner Episode 3: Torpedoes of Truth Part 2 March 7th, 2011 wytv on USTREAM. Comedy

Praxius
What? You never saw a 46 year old actor without any makeup on, under a fluorescent light before?

SLM
I'm surprised Dad hasn't called the white coats yet. He's done it before.

karrie
I find it so tragic to see his mind spiralling off into such chaos.

TenPenny
+1
#5  Top Rated Post
It's somewhat of a shame when someone voluntarily goes off into lala land.

What did I read on another forum: How much cocaine did Charlie Sheen snort? Enough to kill two and a half men.

Kreskin
An entertainment reporter was asked about a rumour that someone else (forgotten the name) might take over Sheen's spot on the show. The reporter said he asked the actor if the show had approached him. The actor replied (paraphrased) 'there is no truth to that, however I can confirm that Martin Sheen did ask me to be his son'.

lone wolf
How long has he been hiding it? That's better acting than actually being the ass.

darkbeaver
Let him entertain us. Genius will not be denied.

Johnny Utah
YouTube - SNL Charlie Sheen 'Winning'.mp4

CUBert
YouTube - Charlie Sheen Bi-Winning Dubstep

EagleSmack
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

Let him entertain us. Genius will not be denied.

No question. Let him entertain us... let him roll.

BaalsTears
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

No question. Let him entertain us... let him roll.

Let the Tiger Blood pulse!

EagleSmack
Embrace the madness Charlie... embrace the Rock Star life!

Soon you will join the procession of movie stars and rock stars that went to the grave in a deluge of drugs and alcohol.

John Belushi
Jimi Hendrix
Janice Joplin
Chris Farley
River Pheonix

etc. etc.

There's always room for one more Chuck!

mayety
Is Charlie a red herring?

Is Charlie Sheen a CIA agent? - Denver Progressive | Examiner.com

TenPenny
His best comedy moment was his advice to Lindsay Lohan, though.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
Whenever someone steps up to the ledge there are always A-Holes that will yell jump.

I hope some stops him before kills himself.

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_Soldier View Post

Whenever someone steps up to the ledge there are always A-Holes that will yell jump.

I would never yell jump, but I don't think he's worth caring about. If his family wants to save him, fine, otherwise, it's all just fodder for his own publicity, and that's what he wants. I wasted too much energy on a family member who loved to get into the self-destructive, self-pitying threatening suicide ****, it's a waste of time and energy to care after a while. It's a game that he's playing, and he knows it. He loves the attention, and until just now, the network loved for him to get the attention.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

I would never yell jump, but I don't think he's worth caring about. If his family wants to save him, fine, otherwise, it's all just fodder for his own publicity, and that's what he wants. I wasted too much energy on a family member who loved to get into the self-destructive, self-pitying threatening suicide ****, it's a waste of time and energy to care after a while. It's a game that he's playing, and he knows it. He loves the attention, and until just now, the network loved for him to get the attention.

I am not connected in any way emotionally with Charlie Sheen. He is most definitely spiraling out of control and like others before him he is being enabled by those (including the media) who see him as a way to make money.

I spent the last year dealing with something very much like this and there were times when I wanted to throw up my hands in frustration. I am thankful I didn't, I hope those that truly care about Charlie Sheen intervene to get him help. Everyone loves a train wreck, until your the one standing in the debris field.

lone wolf
He's got to hit bottom before he'll climb. Intervention doesn't work when he's not reaching out.

Retired_Can_Soldier
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

He's got to hit bottom before he'll climb. Intervention doesn't work when he's not reaching out.

Well that depends if there's anyone around when he hits bottom. What people around him right now are doing is not helping in the least.

TenPenny

Well that depends if there's anyone around when he hits bottom. What people around him right now are doing is not helping in the least.

That's true of many, Lindsay Lohan, Britney Spears, Charlie Sheen...lots of hangers on while there's a party. I notice that Charlie's family is, thankfully, quiet, which shows they have a lot of class. Who knows what they are doing, or have done. I'm sure the press would love to get all kinds of juicy crap from the family, but hopefully they will keep their privacy and do what they feel needs to be done.

PoliticalNick
+1
I fail to unerstand why anyone, other than his family, cares. There are many addicts & alcoholics out there and not one of them is in the news. Why someones personal problems garners such media attention is beyond me. There are so many more important things that the media ignores or overlooks or gives a 20sec soundbyte. Maybe all these reporters and their bosses would like their personal lives to become international stories.

Headline: Joe Newswriter is being divorced, went to pub and got ****faced! More news at 11.

lone wolf
It goes along the adage "If it bleeds it leads". Sensationalism and dirty laundry is pretty much the same.

Retired_Can_Soldier
We have become a world of voyeurs.

Cannuck
+1
This thread reminded me of this

YouTube - Ferguson Speaks From The Heart

Praxius
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

Embrace the madness Charlie... embrace the Rock Star life!

Soon you will join the procession of movie stars and rock stars that went to the grave in a deluge of drugs and alcohol.

John Belushi
Jimi Hendrix
Janice Joplin
Chris Farley
River Pheonix

etc. etc.

There's always room for one more Chuck!

The thing is, they'll always be remembered for years beyond their deaths.

If he wants to destroy his life and kill himself in a blaze of his own glory, by all means, he's a grown adult, freely able to make the decisions for his own life.

And that's the chance we all take with freedom.... we all have the chance to do stupid things and die.

But we'll soon see if what he's doing will indeed kill him or not.... and if he does, well.... I guess we can all learn from his actions and choices.

And if he doesn't?

Same thing.

Nobody should stop him, Lohan or anybody else..... they're all grown adults capable of making their own decisions and being hit by the consequences of their actions.

And besides, even if you wanted to, you can't stop him or anybody else..... they have to want to help themselves first and if they don't, you tieing them down or locking them in a room isn't going to solve anything, because once they're let loose again, they'll end up right where they started.

The thing is, people can try and act like the big hero and try and tell others how to live their lives, and wag their fingers at the things they don't approve of..... people can try and blame the drugs he's on, people can sh*t all over his lifestyle and those he hangs around with, but you know what?

More often then not, that only drives them further into the "wrong" things they're already doing.

It's not the drugs. The real issue is what got them on the drugs in the first place. If you never address that issue in someone's life, then even if you lock them away somewhere until the drugs are out of their system, even if you give them all the therapy you can toss at them to sway their view that drugs are bad m'kay, they'll only return back to the life they had before the drugs, with the issues that were always there, and they'll remember why they went on them in the first place, and chances are, they'll start all over again.

Sure, you'll have family and loved ones sitting around you in a big circle, crying it out about how much they love you and how much they don't want to see you die because you have a great future ahead of you..... but in their eyes, they're all just doing this to make themselves feel good about their own guilt and obligation of doing something, because they fear that if they don't do anything, they'll have their own friends and neighbors finger wagging at them for not doing anything. It's more about making themselves feel like they're better then the person on the drugs and they're the ones they should live up to.

..... And when their treatment is all over, they appear to be clean & sober and they seem like they got their life back on track..... everything goes right back to the way it was, as if nothing ever happened. All those loved ones and your family who seemed to care so much about you go right back to the way they were before they knew you were on drugs....... and thus, the user is right back to where they were to start all over again.

And if they don't go back to the drugs they used before, they'll just go use other drugs instead..... or they'll learn how to hide their drug use better next time around so they don't have to go through this game again of making everybody around them feel better about themselves.

Find out what drove them into the drugs in the first place, try to address that issue and remove the reasons for them to use the drugs in the first place, and you'll stand a much better chance of them staying off them in the future.

And to some, if that feels like too much work, then you never really cared in the first place, other then about yourself and your own guilt trip....... and you should butt the hell out and let them live their lives, because you're not making things any better.

but that's just me...... WINNER!!!

Johnny Utah
VIDEO: Jimmy Fallon Spoofs Charlie Sheen: Duh! Winning! | Radar Online

coldstream
Personally i have trouble believing Charlie Sheen is not just putting on an act. He seems to have just been spoiled by 25 years of uninterrupted success, built on a pretty unimpressive resume, and, at best, mediocre artistic merit.

One and half Men, is a bore. It just shows how little writing and creative talent it takes now to become the most popular show on television.

To be truthful i don't think Sheen is an addict, not in the conventional sense anyway. He is a binger.. who uses massive amounts of alcohol and cocaine for days, followed by weeks of sobriety. He doesn't fit with a few of the characteristics of addicts, in that he is high functioning. One the main casualties of true addiction is the libido, and Charlie certainly seems in control enough to have retained that. No true addict could go cold turkey at a whim, without getting severely sick.

I also don't think Sheen is bipolar. I had a girlfriend who was truly manic depressive (a much more accurate and descriptive term).. and what i see in Charlie is an act, it lacks the genuine, intense highs and lows, that are symptomatic of the condition, and are very identifiable.

That's not to say what he's doing is not dangerous. Bingers have hight rates of ODs than addicts. But Charlie's problems are both rational and willful, as opposed to irrational and organic. He's bored, he's got too much money and too much time on his hands, and he's trashed all the moral boundaries of his life. He's just a very unhappy guy.

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstream View Post

Personally i have trouble believing Charlie Sheen is not just putting on an act. He seems to have just been spoiled by 25 years of uninterrupted success, built on a pretty unimpressive resume, and, at best, mediocre artistic merit.

One and half Men, is a bore. It just shows how little writing and creative talent it takes now to become the most popular show on television.

To be truthful i don't think Sheen is an addict, not in the conventional sense anyway. He is a binger.. who uses massive amounts of alcohol and cocaine for days, followed by weeks of sobriety. He doesn't fit with a few of the characteristics of addicts, in that he is high functioning. One the main casualties of true addiction is the libido, and Charlie certainly seems in control enough to have retained that. No true addict could go cold turkey at a whim, without getting severely sick.

I also don't think Sheen is bipolar. I had a girlfriend who was truly manic depressive (a much more accurate and descriptive term).. and what i see in Charlie is an act, it lacks the genuine, intense highs and lows, that are symptomatic of the condition, and are very identifiable.

That's not to say what he's doing is not dangerous. Bingers have hight rates of ODs than addicts. But Charlie's problems are both rational and willful, as opposed to irrational and organic. He's bored, he's got too much money and too much time on his hands, and he's trashed all the moral boundaries of his life. He's just a very unhappy guy.

I think you speak of what you have not experienced. Addicts can go cold turkey without getting sick. Also, your girlfriend was bipolar so all bipolar people should be exactly like her and mirror your experience or they're not bipolar. Thanks doctor Coldstream, I guess Sheen is just faking it. Thanks for exposing him as a fraud. [{( rollyeyes! )}]

karrie
+1
I'd agree about the 'not bi-polar' bit. The paranoia and mania he displays comes across more as narcissistic personality disorder coupled with a loss of inhibitions when he cooked off an important bit of brain on a coke binge.

But I will qualify that with pointing out that if Sheen had a low where he cuoldn't get out of bed for a month at a time, we'd never see it, so it's hard to buy into the ups AND downs.
Last edited by karrie; Mar 10th, 2011 at 03:22 PM..