Danish newspaper to show cartoon satirising Holocaust.

Blackleaf
Danish paper pursues Holocaust cartoons

John Plunkett
Wednesday February 8, 2006

The Danish paper responsible for the original caricatures of the prophet Muhammad is set to stoke the row further by running cartoons satirising the Holocaust.

Flemming Rose, the culture editor of Danish daily Jyllands-Posten, said today he was trying to get in touch with the Iranian paper, Hamshari, which plans to run an international competition seeking cartoons about the Holocaust.

"My newspaper is trying to establish a contact with the Iranian newspaper, and we would run the cartoons the same day as they publish them," Mr Rose told CNN.

The Danish editor was also defiantly unapologetic about the original publication of 12 cartoons - one of which featured the prophet wearing a turban shaped as a bomb - in his paper five months ago.

Mr Rose said he did not regret publishing the pictures.

"I think it is like asking a rape victim if she regrets wearing a short skirt at a discotheque [on] Friday night," he said.

"If you're wearing a short skirt that does not necessarily mean you invite everybody to have sex with you. If you make a cartoon, make fun of religion, make fun of religious figures, that does not imply that you humiliate or denigrate or marginalise a religion."

The backlash continued in Denmark today, where almost 1,000 Danish websites have been defaced by Islamic hackers protesting about the cartoons.

Images of Muhammad have been replaced with pro-Islam messages and condemnation of the cartoons' publication.

"We have never seen so many defacements that are politically targeted in such a short time," said Roberto Preatoni, the founder and administrator of hacking monitor service, Zone-H.

"What is extraordinary for this Danish case is the speed in which the community united," he told the BBC.

Websites have been hacked to include messages calling for boycotts of Danish goods and warnings that the Danes should expect a violent response.

More than 900 Danish websites have been hacked, with a further 1,600 western sites attacked and defaced.

guardian.co.uk

Huck
i'd bet that the danish paper mush have highly increased their number of readers and profits since the publication. A second scandal will surely propel them to stardom. They are probably wetting their pants on all the attention they are getting...

"Talk bout it in good or talk about it in bad, but talk about it"

athabaska
Cartoons often invoke violence: anvils falling on heads and rocket-powered roller skaters slamming into brick walls.

Islam is one sick puppy. A hate mongering religion even when compared to other bozo religions.

MMMike
Quote: Originally Posted by athabaska

Cartoons often invoke violence: anvils falling on heads and rocket-powered roller skaters slamming into brick walls.

Islam is one sick puppy. A hate mongering religion even when compared to other bozo religions.

Oh, no athabaska.... Islam is a religion of peace!

<<where's the sarcasm button?>>

athabaska
The only 'peace' in Islam is the 'piece' of rocks they use for stoning wanton women and homosexuals.

Do those folks burned by sicko Islamic protesters get their fur (hair) back like Wily coyote does in the cartoons after he's been burnt to a crisp?

Virtual Burlesque
Quote: Originally Posted by athabaska

Stating that there are hate mongers mixed liberally amongst the faithful of Islam is as true as declaring that there are hate mongers mixed liberally amongst the Christians, Jews, and every organized religion . . . indeed, amongst every organization.

There are even some mixed amongst the posters on this bulletin board.

#juan
No Party Affiliation
Virtual Burlesque

Quote:

There are even some mixed amongst the posters on this bulletin board.

Do you want to give me an example of that. We can solve that sort of thing.

zoofer
Calvin and Hobbes -- and Muhammad

FiveParadox
Liberal
Oh, yes; and burning women with odd birthmarks, warts, or who seemed just a bit too creepy for the non-witchcraft folk, were burned at the stake under the tyrranous rule of Christianity.

Perhaps that is our example of the perfect religion?

Virtual Burlesque
Quote: Originally Posted by zoofer

To brandish the title, Calvin & Hobbes, and then deliver Ann Coulter, is worse than false advertising, it is cruel and unusual punishment.

Since the Bill Watterson’s strip is no longer being produced, and since Calvin & Hobbes reprints are distributed by Universal Press Syndicate – not the “Danish cartoon syndicate” mentioned in the story – it is extremely doubtful that he Watterson has any connection to this story. Nowhere within the column’s content is it reported that Watterson has so much as commented upon the debacle.

The single tenuous connection which holds the title together arises from the fact that both Calvin & Hobbes and the recent Danish illustrations of Muhammad are both, technically, cartoons.

The column’s contents consist of the usual spewed spleen of Coulter’s copyrighted calumny.

So, having brought up Calvin & Hobbes, and having duped me into reading Ann Coulter, I feel that I have earned the right to state my opinion.

That is that – like Hobbes – Coulter should get stuffed.

zoofer
No need to thank me................
Thats what I do.......................
Educate people.......................

I think not

JomZ
Lol!

The hypocracy is astounding in this situation. Its even funnier that this Danish paper is trying to contact the Iranian paper to publish the most anti-jewish or christian cartoon that they can find. It does seem really childish how this is being played out and this paper is taking full advantage of it.

Jay

"Muslims are the only people who make feminists seem laid-back."

I love Ann!!

Colpy
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by Virtual Burlesque

To brandish the title, Calvin & Hobbes, and then deliver Ann Coulter, is worse than false advertising, it is cruel and unusual punishment.

Since the Bill Watterson’s strip is no longer being produced, and since Calvin & Hobbes reprints are distributed by Universal Press Syndicate – not the “Danish cartoon syndicate” mentioned in the story – it is extremely doubtful that he Watterson has any connection to this story. Nowhere within the column’s content is it reported that Watterson has so much as commented upon the debacle.

The single tenuous connection which holds the title together arises from the fact that both Calvin & Hobbes and the recent Danish illustrations of Muhammad are both, technically, cartoons.

The column’s contents consist of the usual spewed spleen of Coulter’s copyrighted calumny.

So, having brought up Calvin & Hobbes, and having duped me into reading Ann Coulter, I feel that I have earned the right to state my opinion.

That is that – like Hobbes – Coulter should get stuffed.

Yeah, Coulter is a little over the edge, even for me , but occassionally she says things that inspire some thought.

I read an interview where the news guy pointed out that liberals REALLY didn't like her.....her reply went something like this.......

"Liberals are people that would let a doctor induce labour, then, when the baby is partially down the birth canal, take sharp instruments and smash open its skull, scrambling the brains and killing the child, and then celebrate the fact as the exercise of constitutional rights.

I don't WANT these people to like me."

Off the edge? Yep. But she inspires thought.

DasFX
Quote: Originally Posted by FiveParadox

Oh, yes; and burning women with odd birthmarks, warts, or who seemed just a bit too creepy for the non-witchcraft folk, were burned at the stake under the tyrranous rule of Christianity.

Yes, but Christianity has evolved, Islam has not.

You can used all sorts of historical data to paint any group badly, because they've all had negative events and issues associated with them.

I don't care what happened hundreds or thousands of years ago, I'm more concerned with today. Islam has been anything but a faith of peace.

I think not
I also think it isn't fair to lump everybody into the "non evolved" Islam, I think most things that have happened stemmed from their oppressive societies. Take for example the Muslims in the US and Canada, they may have not liked what happened but they didn't run around screaming about it either.

DasFX
Quote: Originally Posted by I think not

I also think it isn't fair to lump everybody into the "non evolved" Islam, I think most things that have happened stemmed from their oppressive societies. Take for example the Muslims in the US and Canada, they may have not liked what happened but they didn't run around screaming about it either.

Not yet they haven't.

I think not
Even if they march down Broadway in New York or anywhere in Toronto, it is still their right to do so, isn't it? To condemn them for doing that would be very hypocritical of the West when it preaches free speech.

DasFX
Quote: Originally Posted by I think not

Even if they march down Broadway in New York or anywhere in Toronto, it is still their right to do so, isn't it? To condemn them for doing that would be very hypocritical of the West when it preaches free speech.

No, I agree, but if they decide to burn down buildings in Toronto or elsewhere, that won't be okay. Hey, if they want to protest, go ahead, but do it in a civilized way.

I think not
Agreed DasFX.