CBC just lost some of my support!

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Don't you just hate a movie where you know the ending???

I know!! My daughter forced me to take her to "Titanic". Throughout the whole movie, all I could think about was that the ship was going to sink and Celine Dion was going to sing.

petros
I want a real true traditional Christmas where amanita muscaria are put under the tree and we all go on a magic sleigh ride.

TenPenny
I tried to watch ' It's a wonderful life' once.

Couldn't make myself sit through it, I found it so bad.

To me, the idea of sitting around on Christmas Eve watching television is simply horrifying.

Listen to Christmas music, play some board games with the family, burn stuff, drink a lot, that's pretty much the highlight.

petros
Quote:

To me, the idea of sitting around on Christmas Eve watching television is simply horrifying.

TV is just as horrific the other 364 days of the year.

Praxius
+1
The only movie I give a damn about watching around Christmas..... is A Christmas Story.

"C'mon Kid, Let's Go!"

HOOOOOO HOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by Praxius View Post

The only movie I give a damn about watching around Christmas..... is A Christmas Story.

"C'mon Kid, Let's Go!"

HOOOOOO HOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I remember reading that about 30 years ago, man, talk about funny.

Praxius
Reading?

TenPenny

Reading?

Yeah, see, some of us old timers remember when there used to be things called 'books', which consisted of words printed on thin sheets of what was called 'paper', bound together.

Sometimes, these 'books' were a fictional tale with an interesting plot and humour.

shadowshiv
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

I know!! My daughter forced me to take her to "Titanic". Throughout the whole movie, all I could think about was that the ship was going to sink and Celine Dion was going to sing.

It's the whole Cause & Effect phenominon. Celine Dion's singing is the Cause and the Titanic sinking is the Effect.

As to the OT, how about watching A Christmas Story? That's a good alternative.

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post

There are some movies that you can only stand to look at the one time for sure. Then there are a few that can bring something new each time you view it. Depth in direction, script and scenery make a huge difference.

Yup.... That would be the old Star Trek reruns and the odd John Wayne movie for me......

Praxius
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

Yeah, see, some of us old timers remember when there used to be things called 'books', which consisted of words printed on thin sheets of what was called 'paper', bound together.

Sometimes, these 'books' were a fictional tale with an interesting plot and humour.

Books?

Now I'm really confused.... what are these "Books" you speak of.... I bet they're the work of the devil.

Spade

Books?

Now I'm really confused.... what are these "Books" you speak of.... I bet they're the work of the devil.

They are; they must be burnt!
YouTube - ''what means the number, scene'' {Fahrenheit-451} [1966]

TenPenny
The best part of it all is that there is no GST on 'books'....

Praxius

The best part of it all is that there is no GST on 'books'....

Except in certain areas of the country where you get the 13-15% HST on books..... well the last book I bought was taxed anyways.

shadowshiv

Except in certain areas of the country where you get the 13-15% HST on books..... well the last book I bought was taxed anyways.

I love the HST. Let me count the ways it has screwed me.

TenPenny
Actually, now that I think of it, I think it's the provincial portion of the HST that doesn't apply to books, the GSTdoes.

God, I've been wrong twice today - call my wife and tell her.

Unforgiven

Yup.... That would be the old Star Trek reruns and the odd John Wayne movie for me......

I just keep watching Rio Bravo for some reason. That William Shatner is one hell of an actor.

lone wolf

That must be for the index....

Risus

Ya, we used to read Dicken's 'Christmas Carol'...

Don't they have libraries in your neck of the woods?? You can actually borrow books for free there...

talloola
I can't watch any of 'those' particular movies any more, guess it's the 'one time too many' thing many
years ago.

If we are home on Xmas Eve, the TV will be on, set at the sattelite Xmas music channel, or we will have a 'Xmas special' music program playing, or a choir/
orchestra doing Xmas music.

The day after Xmas, it is all 'stopped', cold turkey. ha

Praxius
Quote: Originally Posted by Risus View Post

Don't they have libraries in your neck of the woods?? You can actually borrow books for free there...

And why would I waste my time with buying books or going all the way to the library to borrow some bacteria infested 2nd hand, 2nd rate books, when there's the internet and all the wonderful things to read on it?

If I want fiction, it's here.... if I want facts, they're here..... if I want to know about a book.... they're here too..... and I don't have to deal with torn pages or some idiot's hand writing all through the book because they needed to remember something for an exam once upon a time.

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post

I just keep watching Rio Bravo for some reason. That William Shatner is one hell of an actor.

I kinda like "War Wagon" with the famous line "Mine was Taller"..
One can't forget Lorne Green as Commander Adama

Praxius

I remember liking the original Battlestar G. though I was only around 5 or 6 when it was still on TV and I didn't get to watch it all the time, I thought it was pretty damn cool for its time.

My wife and I have currently been watching the new BSG that came out recently.... we missed the pilot episodes at the start and just saw them last week.... before that we were a tad lost thinking we missed some of the story, which made it a little difficult to get into the show..... but I must say, I'm impressed with what they accomplished with the new show..... and that's saying something since very few shows these days impress me and my sci-fi interests pretty well began and ended with Star Trek.

We're also currently watching SeaQuest DSV...... now there's a flashback.

Chiliagon
I have watched the Christmas Story. I admit I don't watch that as much as I watch other movies at Christmas time, like Scrooged, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, MO34ST, etc. and One Magical Christmas, which at one point they had taken off the air.

oh and Home Alone.. Everytime I hear that beginning theme with the animated house, I get a tingling sensation!

DaSleeper
One movie I'll probably rent ..if it's out, to watch on Christmas night after the grand kids have settled down...Is True Grit with Jeff Bridges....then afterwards...watch the classic one with John Wayne to compare.

Unforgiven

Oh yeah, and True Grit is on my list too. There was a John Wayne festival on TV a while ago and so I recorded most of them to watch later. Last one I watched was the Cowboys I think. The Duke had a way with the younguns.

Sal
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

And which was the sad part?

Chiliagon
ok! well!!

I just read something that may very well explain this.

according to my research, CTV will be airing "It's a Wonderful Life" on December 24th..

looks like to me CBC gave it up and CTV took it.. or something along those lines.

problem solved.

Cliffy
Ya! I love Bill Murry in Scrooged. That is a Christmas special worth seeing often.

damngrumpy
What is Christmas Eve like, busy as hell, early anyway. My wife and I have 23 count the little
buggers, 23 Grand kids and all those who live here, and those who are visiting, are visited by
you guessed it. us. In our family Grand kids and Children call us GG Ma and GG Pa, as we
are great grandma and great grandpa. After we go from house to house visiting them we
then come home to the ones visiting and once they are off to bed, I always watch Its A Wonderful
Life. Yes I end up watching the other ones too but for Pete's sake, it is one day a year and those
who are watching Christmas Eve are for the most part older folks.
It is also good for the older Grand kids and family to see what life was like from another time. They
get to understand just how much they have. I remember when getting a pair of skates, used or
otherwise, was something to be treasured. I can easily go out and buy these movies but there are
a lot of seniors who can't. Television caters to younger people every other night of the year and I
guess I feel for those who won't be able to follow an old tradition. When you think about it, Christmas
is about tradition. When I was young I respected the old traditions, some I didn't even understand,
and later I realized these traditions are the bridge from one generation to the other, that bring us
together in something we describe as a family. Oh and with 23 Grand Children we also have 3
Great Grand Children. The nice thing about our family is we all respect each others traditions and
we go to rap music birthday parities and they come to traditional Christmas Dinner we do that not
because we have to but because we love each other and that is good enough for me.
I leave you with the words to a little song we sing around the piano on Christmas day, shortly before
dinner.

The liquor was spilled on the barroom floor
And the bar was closed for the night,
Out from his hole came a little grey mouse
And he sat in the pale moonlight.
He lapped up the liquor on the barroom floor
and back on his haunches he sat.
All night long you could hear him roar
Bring on the Goddamn Cat.

That is also a Christmas tradition, it is a wonderful life and Have a Merry Christmas