Blockade that shythole called North Korea


spaminator
#61
North Korea must pay US$500M in Otto Warmbier's death: U.S. judge
Associated Press
Published:
December 24, 2018
Updated:
December 24, 2018 10:17 PM EST
In this March 16, 2016, file photo, American student Otto Warmbier, centre, is escorted at the Supreme Court in Pyongyang, North Korea. Jon Chol Jin / AP
WASHINGTON — A federal judge on Monday ordered North Korea to pay more than $500 million in a wrongful death suit filed by the parents of Otto Warmbier, an American college student who died shortly after being released from that country.
U.S. District Judge Beryl Howell harshly condemned North Korea for “barbaric mistreatment” of Warmbier in agreeing with his family that the isolated nation should be held liable for his death last year. She awarded punitive damages and payments covering medical expenses, economic loss and pain and suffering to Fred and Cindy Warmbier, who alleged that their son had been held hostage and tortured.
North Korea deports American even as it boasts of new weapon
13 secret North Korean missile sites located: U.S. analysts
Trump ‘in no rush’ after North Korea talks postponed
Warmbier was a University of Virginia student who was visiting North Korea with a tour group when he was arrested and sentenced to 15 years of hard labour in March 2016 on suspicion of stealing a propaganda poster. He died in June 2017, shortly after he returned to the U.S. in a coma and showing apparent signs of torture while in custody.
In holding North Korean responsible, Howell said the government had seized Warmbier for “use as a pawn in that totalitarian state’s global shenanigans and face-off with the United States.”
“Before Otto travelled with a tour group on a five-day trip to North Korea, he was a healthy, athletic student of economics and business in his junior year at the University of Virginia, with ’big dreams’ and both the smarts and people skills to make him his high school class salutatorian, homecoming king, and prom king,” the judge wrote. “He was blind, deaf, and brain dead when North Korea turned him over to U.S. government officials for his final trip home.”
The arrest and death of Warmbier came during a time of heightened tension between the U.S. and North Korea over the country’s nuclear weapons program. President Donald Trump held a first-of-its-kind summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in June 2018 and plans another next year.
The judgment may be mostly a symbolic victory since North Korea has yet to respond to any of the allegations in court and there’s no practical mechanism to force it do so. But the family may nonetheless be able to recoup damages through a Justice Department-administered fund for victims of state-sponsored acts of terrorism, and may look to seize other assets held by the country outside of North Korea.
Fred and Cindy Warmbier, who are from a suburb of Cincinnati, said they were thankful the court found the government of Kim Jong Un “legally and morally” responsible for their son’s death.
“We put ourselves and our family through the ordeal of a lawsuit and public trial because we promised Otto that we will never rest until we have justice for him,” they said in a statement. “Today’s thoughtful opinion by Chief Judge Howell is a significant step on our journey.”
The lawsuit, filed in April, describes in horrific detail the physical abuse Warmbier endured in North Korean custody, recounting how his parents were “stunned to see his condition” when they boarded a plane to see him upon arrival in the U.S.
The 22-year-old was blind and deaf, his arms were curled and mangled and he was jerking violently and howling, completely unresponsive to his family’s attempts to comfort him. His once straight teeth were misaligned, and he had an unexplained scar on his foot. An expert said the injuries suggested he’d been tortured with electric shock, and a neurologist later concluded that the college student suffered brain damage, probably from a loss of blood flow to the brain for five to 20 minutes.
North Korea has denied Warmbier was tortured and has said he contracted botulism, though medical experts said there was no evidence of that.
The complaint also said Warmbier was pressed to make a televised confession, then convicted of subversion after a short trial. He was denied communication with his family. In June 2017, his parents were informed he was in a coma and had been in that condition for one year.
Though foreign nations are generally immune from lawsuits in U.S. courts, Howell cited several exceptions that she said allowed her to hold North Korea liable. Those include the fact that North Korea has been designated by the U.S. as a sponsor of terrorism, that the Warmbiers are U.S. citizens and that the actions of the North Korean government involved torture and hostage taking.
The penalty awarded to the Warmbiers and to Otto Warmbier’s estate includes punitive damages as well as damages for economic losses, pain and suffering and medical expenses.
The lawsuit was brought on the Warmbiers’ behalf by Richard Cullen, a prominent Virginia lawyer and former U.S. attorney. He told The Associated Press that while “nothing will ever bring Otto back to the Warmbiers or erase their memories of his horrid last 18 months,” the judge’s decision was “very good news for his family and friends.”
http://torontosun.com/news/world/nor...eath-u-s-judge
 
Dixie Cup
+1
#62
Good luck in getting that settlement!
 
MHz
#63
Get it from the tour company as they apparently didn't tell him not not treat it like it was his own place.
 
Curious Cdn
#64
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

Get it from the tour company as they apparently didn't tell him not not treat it like it was his own place.

Maybe, the tour company should sue the Warmbiers for his sophomoric antics that ruined their business.
 
Blackleaf
#65
 
spaminator
#66
North Korea demanded $2 million from U.S. for captured Otto Warmbier in coma
Associated Press
Published:
April 25, 2019
Updated:
April 25, 2019 6:41 PM EDT
In this March 16, 2016, file photo, American student Otto Warmbier, centre, is escorted at the Supreme Court in Pyongyang, North Korea.Jon Chol Jin / AP File Photo
WASHINGTON — North Korea insisted the U.S. agree to pay $2 million in medical costs in 2017 before it released detained American college student Otto Warmbier while he was in a coma, a former U.S. official said Thursday.
An envoy sent to North Korea to retrieve the 21-year-old student signed an agreement to pay the $2 million on instructions passed down from President Donald Trump, the former official told The Associated Press, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss a sensitive diplomatic matter.
The Washington Post, citing two people familiar with the situation, first reported the demand and that the envoy signed the agreement.
The bill went to the Treasury Department, where it remained — unpaid — throughout 2017, the newspaper said. It is unclear whether the Trump administration later paid the bill, or whether it came up during preparations for Trump’s two summits with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said the administration does not comment on hostage negotiations. U.S. policy is to refuse to pay ransom for the release of Americans detained abroad.
Story continues below
While the majority of Americans detained by North Korea have been released in relatively good condition, Warmbier, a student at the University of Virginia, died in June last year shortly after he was flown home comatose after 17 months in captivity.
Warmbier was seized from a tour group while visiting North Korea in January 2016 and convicted on charges of trying to steal a propaganda poster and sentenced to 15 years of hard labour.
North Korea, which has denied accusations by relatives that it tortured Warmbier, has said he was provided “medical treatments and care with all sincerity.”
Sen. Rob Portman, R-Ohio, said the United States doesn’t owe North Korea anything.
“Otto Warmbier was mistreated by North Korea in so many ways, including his wrongful conviction and harsh sentence, and the fact that for 16 months they refused to tell his family or our country about his dire condition they caused,” Portman said. “No, the United States owes them nothing. They owe the Warmbier family everything.”
Parents Fred and Cindy Warmbier are from suburban Cincinnati, Ohio.
Robert Lewis, a spokesman for the law firm that filed suit against North Korea on behalf of the Warmbier family, declined comment.
Yun told CNN on Thursday that he could not discuss details of his diplomatic discussions. He said his orders from Trump were to “do whatever” he could to get Warmbier back.
Asked if it would be unusual for the U.S. to pay medical costs of detainees, Yun said: “There was some expectation the North Koreans might raise hospital costs.” He said that in past instances not involving Warmbier “some money could have been handed over, yes.”
North Korea must pay US$500M in Otto Warmbier’s death: U.S. judge
North Korea deports American even as it boasts of new weapon
‘WELCOME HOME’: Donald Trump welcomes Americans freed by North Korea
http://washingtonpost.com/world/asia...cfb_story.html
http://torontosun.com/news/world/nor...armbier-report