Who gives to Charity?


Danbones
#31
Down 90% ( from a link) was the figure I posted the other day.
 
Dixie Cup
+2
#32
My family gives what they can on an annual basis; some are tax receptible and some not. I don't keep track - if I have it, I'll give. If not, I don't.
 
DaSleeper
+2
#33
Check-out counter donations....rip off

You give and the business gets the tax write-off


https://www.huffingtonpost.com/kim-o..._10012906.html
 
spilledthebeer
-1
#34
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Check-out counter donations....rip off

You give and the business gets the tax write-off


https://www.huffingtonpost.com/kim-o..._10012906.html


================================================== ================================================== ====


GIVE TO CHARITY TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


It lets LIE-berals off the hook for the messes they have made!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


And - thanks to greedy civil service union Hogs- it is no wonder govt budgets are in trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



This stinks so much': $74-million sand recycling contract under fire at City Hall



Edmonton Journal. Elise Stolte.

Edmonton could soon see a legislated “cooling off” period for employees wanting to do contract work with the city in the wake of a damning sand recycling audit.

The audit found its sand recycling program, which cost $74 million since 2005, was mismanaged, with a poorly worded initial contract further amended with little oversight.

On Thursday, the city manager said personal relationships between former colleagues could be part of the issue.

A city employee decided the city could save $2.5 million annually by cleaning and recycling the sand spread on streets during the winter. Then he left the city’s employ to do it. His former colleagues contracted the job to him without oversight from the law and procurement branch.

The branch told transportation committee the $2.5 million in savings were realized; city auditor David Wiun could find no record of that.

“When you put all of that together, that’s why this stinks so much,” said Mayor Don Iveson, as committee voted to explore a cooling off period. A report on what other municipalities do and recommendations will come back in January.

None of the people involved still work for the city. They retired or moved on before the audit was done.

The contract runs out at the end of December, and no sand recycling was done this summer for other reasons. New sand has been purchased to use on the streets this winter.

Doug Jones, the new deputy city manager for operations, said that decision was unrelated to the audit, but wouldn’t give more details.

Jones said few, if any, municipalities currently recycle their sand. His department will bring a detailed business case to council to determine if Edmonton’s sand recycling program should continue at all. The alternative is to dump it in a landfill.

City manager Linda Cochrane told committee the report “sickens” her: “I remain apologetic, embarrassed and sad.”

She blamed the problem on a previous lack of centralized oversight. Contracts are now handled by a central team with legal experience rather than people focused on operations. Two hundred employees have been newly trained and certified in contract management, and they’re doing a review of all long-term contracts signed previously.

As for the cooling off period, Cochrane said the city previously relied on a code of conduct that requires people to “use good judgment” to avoid a conflict or perceived conflict of interest.

“We have to pursue this cooling off period, no question,” she said, adding most organizations require a minimum of one year. “It’s not right to work for the city, then work for a company that works for the city, in a short period of time.”

Cochrane said the city is not taking legal action.

Iveson said there are still some questions to be answered.

“The investigation internally continues. We need some additional information to come to light and if any employee or contractor has any information … that would be helpful,” Iveson said.

He added those informants would have all the protections given the whistleblower whose complaint started the audit in January.

estolte@postmedia.com
 
Cannuck
#35
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Check-out counter donations....rip off

You give and the business gets the tax write-off


https://www.huffingtonpost.com/kim-o..._10012906.html


...and charities get money?


What a scam
 
Hoid
#36
"First of all, Americans give a LOT more than Canadians. They are much more generous.........twice as generous, in fact. Yep, those nasty Yanks give over twice as much of their income to good causes than do Canadians. (God I love knocking my fellow Canadians off their moral high horse!"

God, I love when you pat yourself on the back for being an idiot.

You are comparing apples to oranges and congratulating yourself for being clever.
 
Colpy
#37
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

"First of all, Americans give a LOT more than Canadians. They are much more generous.........twice as generous, in fact. Yep, those nasty Yanks give over twice as much of their income to good causes than do Canadians. (God I love knocking my fellow Canadians off their moral high horse!"

God, I love when you pat yourself on the back for being an idiot.

You are comparing apples to oranges and congratulating yourself for being clever.


W#ell, as an idiot I can easily identify an imbecile.


That would be you.
 
Hoid
#38
because I don't try to judge entirely different tax and charity regimes by the same metrics?

keep patting yourself on the on the back
 
Colpy
+3
#39
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

because I don't try to judge entirely different tax and charity regimes by the same metrics?

keep patting yourself on the on the back


Dimwit;


Giving away your money to good causes is the point.



We are not talking about your dear Mommy, the all powerful state, we are talking about people of average means and their willingness to dig down and give their own money to a cause for the good of others.


Americans are twice as generous as Canadians. Simple as that.


Like most self-righteous Canadians that believe all good flows from Mommy Justin et al, you're an imbecile.


And probably a cheap little prick as well.
 
spilledthebeer
#40
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

"First of all, Americans give a LOT more than Canadians. They are much more generous.........twice as generous, in fact. Yep, those nasty Yanks give over twice as much of their income to good causes than do Canadians. (God I love knocking my fellow Canadians off their moral high horse!"

God, I love when you pat yourself on the back for being an idiot.

You are comparing apples to oranges and congratulating yourself for being clever.


================================================== ================================================== ====


POOR HOID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!


Full of shit as usual!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!


FIFTY MILLION Yankees with NO HEALTH CARE at all suggests Yankees are NOT so generous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


And millions more with health plans so limited the best they can hope for is a nice steady supply of pain killers if they get really sick !



And Yankee hospital administrators loading sick old folks with Alzheimers and dementia into unmarked vans and dumping the dazed old folks out- still in their hospital gowns- in front of the nearest welfare office would also suggest a certain charitable deficiency!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Hoid
-1
#41
Americans are only twice as generous as Canadian if you are a white natty who does not understand economics.

Americans receive more than twice the tax incentive for charitable giving as do Canadians - and that is only one difference between the two countries that the uneducated are not familiar with.
 
bluebyrd35
-1
#42
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

Fascinating piece in today's Globe and Mail by Margaret Wente. The subject of who gives to charilty belies the Conventional Wisdon, and should destroy the image of the oh-so-concerned liberal latte-slurping do-gooder.

First of all, Americans give a LOT more than Canadians. They are much more generous.........twice as generous, in fact. Yep, those nasty Yanks give over twice as much of their income to good causes than do Canadians. (God I love knocking my fellow Canadians off their moral high horse!)

Not only that, but guess WHICH Americans give the most? To quote Wente "The most generous people in North America are the small-town folks who go to church, drive pick-up trucks, are very family-orientated, and probably hate the gun registry. They give away more of their income - by far- than anybody else.............the people that give away the most of all (3.7% of their income) live in Utah."

"..........godless liberals talk the talk, churchgoing conservatives walk the walk. People in the top five Bush states gave three times more of their income to charity than people in the top five Kerry states. Conservatives give away more money and volunteer more time to help the poor."

"..........the Salvation Army (stationed) a bell-ringer in Sioux Falls, south Dakota outside the Wal-Mart. The Sally-Ann put another bell-ringer in San Francisco, just outside Saks. The San Francisco bell-ringer, who encountered twice as many people, collected only half as much money as the one in Sioux Falls"

Now who do you think had more to give? Saks customers, or Wal-Mart customers?

Are you surprized?

No I am not surprised. Canadians on the whole do not give as much to those needing medical treatment or because of sudden loss of income, or certain other catastophes because for the first we have universal health care, safety nets for loss of income in many cases. We do donate to our local institutions for those other extras hospitals and charitable organizations always need. (At least I do)

The churches in Canada are becoming fewer and fewer. In it's charitable place there are things like meals on wheels supported not just with money or food but with volunteers. Volunteers that take people shopping or doing the shopping for others. Volunteers to drive people to appointments etc. Much more personal giving. I suspect most Canadians do not need large tax breaks.
 
Hoid
#43
Go be poor in America and tell me how generous Americans are.
 
spilledthebeer
-1
#44
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

Go be poor in America and tell me how generous Americans are.


================================================== ================================================== ====


POOR STUPID HOID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Even our foolish little Bluebyrdie has taken a shot at him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


But then our Bluebyrdie WAS A NURSE and knows something about treating people regardless of thir income or status!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Even though she is willfully BLIND to the excesses of the LIE-beral Gravy Train!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Yankees GIVE WHAT THEY FEEL LIKE to charity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Yankees GIVE WHEN, WHERE AND HOW IT SUITS THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Cdns support a more caring and concerned govt that offers a much better umbrella and safety net than the Yankee version!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



This is why Yankees often come to Canada to buy drugs- as our more generous govt buys drugs in bulk at reduced rates- and repackages the stuff into personal use sized units- and this govt habit LOWERS the price prcie for the consumer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Or we could look at cancer survival rates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Cdn cancer patients generally DO BETTER AND LIVE LONGER than their Yankee counterparts- and this number is affected by the number of Yankees WHO DO NOT HAVE ANY HEALTH CARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



But HOID is doing his TYPICAL LIE-BERAL THING- cherry picking through numbers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Hoid only wanta to talk about numbers that he likes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


And HOID SHUNS NUMBERS HE DOES NOT LIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!


This is why HOGS like Hoid think that two tier medicine would benefit Canada!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Hoid and his HOG allies all like two tier medicine because he thinks he and his pals will automatically BE ON THE UPPER TIER!!!!!!!!!


HOID figures the Cdn poor should go BEG for charity from those always generous Yankees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Just so long as they dont expect anything from HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
 
MHz
#45
Might as well call the World Bank a charity that everyone gives as much as asked of them, . . . or else
 
spilledthebeer
#46
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

Might as well call the World Bank a charity that everyone gives as much as asked of them, . . . or else


================================================== ================================================== ====


STUPID MHz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


You FORGOT to whine about Jew bankers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
MHz
#47
Who do you think the World Bank is??
https://www.brettonwoodsproject.org/...-headed-hydra/

The World Bank: A multi-headed hydra






Short PowerPoint presentation.
 
spilledthebeer
#48
[QUOTE=MHz;2682918]Who do you think the World Bank is??
https://www.brettonwoodsproject.org/...-headed-hydra/

The World Bank: A multi-headed hydra



================================================== ================================================== =

The World Bank is a capitalist concept that has been corrupte by third world socialist dictators!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One has only to look at the recent TVO documentary on the idea of using World Bank funds to build a dam on the Mekong River!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The dam will produce electricity for govt elites in Cambodia and Viet Nam- but will HALT the yearly flooding of the Ton Lei


SAP LAKE- which just happens to supply TWO THIRDS of the food supply of Cambodia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


During Monsoon season the flooding is so huge- all along the Meong and its assorted huge tributaries- that the lake grows by hundreds of square kilometers in size- bringing in a HUGE supply of fish that feeds the ENTIRE COUNTRY of Cambodia for most of the year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Dam the Mkeong and KILL the flooding- and STARVE virtually ALL of Cambodia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


What will staving peasants do with a cheap supply of electricity????????????????????


Tjis is NOT socialism!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


It certainly is NOT any sort of capitalism or democracy that I recognize!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


This is dictatorship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


And MHz seems to LIKE DICTATORSHIP -since he is so often in support of such a concept!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Walter
+1
#49
Dems Should Really Be Giving a Lot More to Charity
https://slate.com/business/2019/04/b...le-giving.html

Yep.
 
MHz
+1
#50
Retire the Party, the best gift they could ever give anybody.
 
Jinentonix
#51
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

Well, I don't know much about American tax law.
But it is the poorer people that give the most, by far.
Your average working guy is NOT looking for a tax loophole.

It was much the same when I lived in Windsor for a few years. The CAW workers were by far the most generous when it came to giving to charity.
 
bluebyrd35
#52
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

Go be poor in America and tell me how generous Americans are.

Yes that is true. It is distressing to to get calls to help the police pension funds for example and find out after several years these were scams. So better to give to institutions you know and use. Even donating clothes or appliances in those containers supposedly for the poor to discover the donations were resold to the benefit of the entrepreneur who put out the conainers makes people more careful where they give.
 
spilledthebeer
#53
Quote: Originally Posted by spilledthebeer View Post

================================================== ================================================== ====


GIVE TO CHARITY TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


It lets LIE-berals off the hook for the messes they have made!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


And - thanks to greedy civil service union Hogs- it is no wonder govt budgets are in trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



This stinks so much': $74-million sand recycling contract under fire at City Hall



Edmonton Journal. Elise Stolte.

Edmonton could soon see a legislated “cooling off” period for employees wanting to do contract work with the city in the wake of a damning sand recycling audit.

The audit found its sand recycling program, which cost $74 million since 2005, was mismanaged, with a poorly worded initial contract further amended with little oversight.

On Thursday, the city manager said personal relationships between former colleagues could be part of the issue.

A city employee decided the city could save $2.5 million annually by cleaning and recycling the sand spread on streets during the winter. Then he left the city’s employ to do it. His former colleagues contracted the job to him without oversight from the law and procurement branch.

The branch told transportation committee the $2.5 million in savings were realized; city auditor David Wiun could find no record of that.

“When you put all of that together, that’s why this stinks so much,” said Mayor Don Iveson, as committee voted to explore a cooling off period. A report on what other municipalities do and recommendations will come back in January.

None of the people involved still work for the city. They retired or moved on before the audit was done.

The contract runs out at the end of December, and no sand recycling was done this summer for other reasons. New sand has been purchased to use on the streets this winter.

Doug Jones, the new deputy city manager for operations, said that decision was unrelated to the audit, but wouldn’t give more details.

Jones said few, if any, municipalities currently recycle their sand. His department will bring a detailed business case to council to determine if Edmonton’s sand recycling program should continue at all. The alternative is to dump it in a landfill.

City manager Linda Cochrane told committee the report “sickens” her: “I remain apologetic, embarrassed and sad.”

She blamed the problem on a previous lack of centralized oversight. Contracts are now handled by a central team with legal experience rather than people focused on operations. Two hundred employees have been newly trained and certified in contract management, and they’re doing a review of all long-term contracts signed previously.

As for the cooling off period, Cochrane said the city previously relied on a code of conduct that requires people to “use good judgment” to avoid a conflict or perceived conflict of interest.

“We have to pursue this cooling off period, no question,” she said, adding most organizations require a minimum of one year. “It’s not right to work for the city, then work for a company that works for the city, in a short period of time.”

Cochrane said the city is not taking legal action.

Iveson said there are still some questions to be answered.

“The investigation internally continues. We need some additional information to come to light and if any employee or contractor has any information … that would be helpful,” Iveson said.

He added those informants would have all the protections given the whistleblower whose complaint started the audit in January.

estolte@postmedia.com




OH GOSH Bluebyrdie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!


You have rated my post about the recycled sand scandal as BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Apparently you are such a true BLUE LIE-beral that you even approve of tax payers being RIPPED OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Just so long as some civil service union HOG benefits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!


What an amazing LIE-beral HYPOCRITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!


HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
Hoid
#54
Poor people and autoworkers.

The Republican Base.
 
Jinentonix
#55
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

Poor people and autoworkers.
The Republican Base.

You're such a f*cking moron. The CAW in Windsor was an NDP bastion.

Stupid people, the under-educated and emotional relativists are Groper's base. It's no wonder you support him.
 
Hoid
#56
But I thought it was conservatives who gave to charity ?
 
Hoid
#57
well now I get why you hate them so much.

stupid groper dippers!
 
Jinentonix
#58
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

But I thought it was conservatives who gave to charity ?

What the f*ck do you know? You thought auto workers were "Republicans".
 
MHz
#59
In my neighborhood you can get robbed on the way to the Goodwill Drop-off Box, sorry, Midnight till Dawn Bingo Hall and Brothel
 
MHz
#60
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

What the f*ck do you know? You thought auto workers were "Republicans".

What's an 'auto worker', . . . Mom?
 

Similar Threads

42
Would you support a charity law?
by Machjo | Dec 23rd, 2008
28
I need suggestions for charity work
by unclepercy | Sep 5th, 2008
0
Disabling charity
by Avro | May 3rd, 2008