Oregon voters reject giving drivers licenses to illegal immigrants

Locutus
Oregon, of all places...like, dude.

via sda tips:

Yes, Oregon :
Measure 88 won more votes than anything else on the Oregon ballot. More votes than pot legalization. More than the incumbent governor, the incumbent senator or any of the six other ballot measures. The widely popular, landslide vote on Measure 88 prohibits illegal immigrants from getting drivers licenses.
Filched from American Digest.

Oregon Voters Reject Giving Driver’s Licenses to Illegal Immigrants

At the polls Tuesday, Oregon voters overwhelmingly rejected a law passed by the state legislature last April that granted driver’s licenses to illegal immigrants residing in the state.

The measure was put to voters after Oregonians for Immigration Reform, an immigration enforcement group opposed to the driver’s license benefit, initiated a citizen’s referendum and successfully collected the 50,000 signatures required to get it on the ballot. Voters rejected it by a margin of 68 percent to 33 percent.

“The ballot measure was a direct response to the legislature moving forward to providing driver’s licenses on its own,” Jon Feere, a legal policy analyst at the Center for Immigration Studies, told The Daily Signal.

Oregon’s Measure 88 allowed undocumented immigrants to obtain a driver’s license, valid for four years, without having to provide “proof of legal presence in the United States.”

Oregon Rejects Giving Driver’s Licenses to Illegal Immigrants

SLM
No Party Affiliation
+3
#2  Top Rated Post
I'm not certain what kind of convoluted system you have to have in place to provide individuals who are there illegally with legal identification in the first place. Seems rather like a no brainer to me.

DaSleeper
+1
Isn't a driver's license the only Identification needed to vote in the U S?...
My Bad... According to the Democrats....no Identification should be needed

petros
+1
Why stop there? The legals can't f-cking drive as it is either. Get those cocksuckers off the roads too.

El Barto
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

I'm not certain what kind of convoluted system you have to have in place to provide individuals who are there illegally with legal identification in the first place. Seems rather like a no brainer to me.

What she said

Locutus
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

yeah, about that...

In the ongoing debate surrounding immigration reform in the United States, Oregon was one of several states to propose requirements relating to driver licenses in 2013. California, Colorado, Illinois, Maryland, Nevada and Vermont all changed license eligibility requirements to allow unauthorized residents access to them. New Mexico, Utah and Washington already had such laws at the time, and Georgia and Maine enacted more limited measures. Approximately 25 states considered measures on the subject in 2013. In total, 35 laws were enacted on the subject, and the District of Columbia sent one to Congress.[5]

forward.