Abortion

joellewoodruff
In the news this has been the topic of choice, but how do you guys feel about abortions, I mean, is it the woman's choice or is she murdering a human being? There are a lot of extremes on this one, I know how the politicians feel, but how about Canadians?

Daniel_Klassen
I personally agree with abortions, I think that it is a woman's choice whether or not they want to carry the baby and if they want to have to handle the responsibility to look after it. There is no way that any government will get rid of abortions, if they aren't done in clinics or in hospitals, then they will be done in some back-alley special where disease or infection are sure to follow. The only safe bet is to keep this legal and fund it better.
(I don't agree with abortion as a method of birth control though, if people have repeated abortions, they need to look at themselves and change something in there lives.)

Numure
I agree, abortion is not birth control. "The After" pill and birth control pills are, not abortion.

ponygurl
I would like to see abortions only available to women if they have been raped or if carrying the baby to full term will endanger her life.

There are consequences to all actions..

Numure
Sure, but should a child suffer does consequences? No.

ponygurl
Quote: Originally Posted by Numure

Sure, but should a child suffer does consequences? No.

There are many options open to young mothers or women who have unwanted pregnancies. Do you know what the demand is for babies to adopt?
Are you seriously trying to suggest Numure.. that a woman who spreads her legs isn't aware that pregnancy could result?
I think that if the possibility of adoption for an unwanted pregnancy is too"easy an out", stupid ass women will ALLOW themselves to become pregnant by having unprotected sex even more often than they do.
And I am sorry ladies.. I know it is " the guys responsibility" to use protection too.. but I am old.. a whole 39.. and I have learned throughout my life that the only one TRULY responsible for me is me. So it IS the lady's responsibility when she enters a sexual bond to ensure that there is protection of some sort.

Birth control fails.
Whe one uses birth control, they are aware that there is a 2% or more chance said birth control will fail. If they are not willing to take on the 2% or more chance of raising the result of their sexual union, they SHOULD NOT be having the sexual union.

Prometheus
Although I am pro-choice on almost every issue there is, abortion has always carried the stigma of murder with it, mostly due to the religious orders.

I feel everyone should have the right to choose what they do with their bodies, time and money, as long as it doesn't impose on anyone else's right to do the same.

That said however, I agree with ponygurl's posts above completely. There are other options for "unwanted" or "unexpected" pregnancies. Taking responsibility is one.

When it was first learned that my girlfriend was pregnant with my son, we weighed the options. We were young, unmarried and financially not prepared for raising a child. I must admit abortion was the first thought that popped in my mind.

Melissa decided to carry full term, and deal with the consequences as they came. My son will be 10 years old in July. He is well mannered and courteous. He is an honor roll student and an outstanding athlete in baseball, basketball and soccer. Although his mother and I are no longer together, we see each other almost daily and have a healthy family relationship.
When I think back now how quick I was to jump on abortion as an "easy out", it makes me sick to my stomach. Although I still feel people have a right to choose, I find it hard as a parent to justify making it too easy for someone to duck responsibility for their actions.

Démocrite
I am pro-choice. We've seen Women in Los Angeles, where abortions are illegal, throwing away their new-borns. An unwanted child is worst than a abortion. Some women occasionally buried living child, which is worst than evry thing. Let women choose for themselves, even if the abortions are sad situations.

ponygurl
Quote: Originally Posted by Démocrite

I am pro-choice. We've seen Women in Los Angeles, where abortions are illegal, throwing away their new-borns. An unwanted child is worst than a abortion. Some women occasionally buried living child, which is worst than evry thing. Let women choose for themselves, even if the abortions are sad situations.

The problem in California is not the lack of abortions. The problem in CA is the abundance of crack and the loose morals they have come to live by.
Instil a moral system.. teach our daughters abstinance..teach them responsibility..
Why sit back and say " well California is ****ed up.. so that must be the role to live by".
I do not believe for a second that our children here in Canada are either as promiscuous or as high as those in CA.
I cannot live with a " lesser of two evils" standard when it comes to human life.

Numure
Quote: Originally Posted by ponygurl

The problem in California is not the lack of abortions. The problem in CA is the abundance of crack and the loose morals they have come to live by.
Instil a moral system.. teach our daughters abstinance..teach them responsibility..
Why sit back and say " well California is ****ed up.. so that must be the role to live by".
I do not believe for a second that our children here in Canada are either as promiscuous or as high as those in CA.
I cannot live with a " lesser of two evils" standard when it comes to human life.

Morality is such a loosly used term... It just doesnt apply anymore. As its subjective to ones beliefs.

joellewoodruff
ponygurl what about women who do not willingly "spread their legs" as you so lovingly put it!!! What about pregnancies as a result of rape, or even pregnancies where the mother could be seriously harmed by carrying the baby to full term???

And although girls who spread their legs should know the consequesnces, children, young teenagers with psycological problems (including severe self-consciencness) are often the ones giving into the pressures of sex and end up pregnant WAY too young. By carrying their babies to full term in order to be given up for adoption many of them may be beaten by family members or even their boyfriends, o they have to drop out of school for so long that it seriously impaires their education. There have even been many cases where women have been murdered by their boyfriends because they wound up preganant and couldn't get an abortion!!! Are you saying these women should not be able to get an abortion????
And look at the options a woman has if abortion is illegal. Many of themm try to do it themselves. Almost killing themselves by taking a multitude of illegal drugs to kill the fetus or they'll attempt to hook or cut the baby out themselves. Babies still end up thrown into garbage cans, that may be a woman's only choice without being able to get an abortion. What's worse killing an embryo or killing a living baby by dropping it into the garbage?
It's the woman's choice before that fetus is three months old, it's not even a human being by then! So please, if you can tell me how getting rid of abortion is a better alternative to all of this, I would be very interested to hear it!

ponygurl
Quote: Originally Posted by joellewoodruff

ponygurl what about women who do not willingly "spread their legs" as you so lovingly put it!!! What about pregnancies as a result of rape, or even pregnancies where the mother could be seriously harmed by carrying the baby to full term???

Read my previous post pertaining to that.

ponygurl

Quote: Originally Posted by ponygurl

Morality is such a loosly used term... It just doesnt apply anymore. As its subjective to ones beliefs.

Not in my house.

Reverend Blair
We aren't in your house, Ponygurl...we're out in the real world.

When abortions were illegal, women risked their lives to get one. Coat hangers, douching with lye, drinking poison. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. Sometimes it only partially worked and the kids suffered birth defects. Sometimes the mothers died. Sometimes girls and their doctors went to prison. That's the real world reality of banning abortions.

LuShes
+1
Abortion is a sad subject. But in some situations, its an option. If a young girl is raped, espeically by a family member or something, or if the pregnancy is unsafe. And is performed by a professional doctor, at a timely mannor before 12 weeks. I hate to even think of a little tiny heartbeat and 10 little fingers and toes formed at 10 weeks of pregnancy could be destroyed. But in some cases its for the better.

I just don't think it should be used as a method of birth control!

ponygurl
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

We aren't in your house, Ponygurl...we're out in the real world.

When abortions were illegal, women risked their lives to get one. Coat hangers, douching with lye, drinking poison. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. Sometimes it only partially worked and the kids suffered birth defects. Sometimes the mothers died. Sometimes girls and their doctors went to prison. That's the real world reality of banning abortions.

Whe I referenced to my house, I was speaking of " morality". It had been stated that moralty was a dead issue.. that really things are what we believe.
I said what I said because..in my home..I have a moral standard that is to be upheld. Of course, as with everything in this blame free society, children and adults can make their own choices despite moral expectations. However.. IN MY HOUSE there are consequences to such choices. I will not lower my expectations or moral standards because they maybe won't be followed. They are my beliefs and will remain intact.
And please quote where I said I would like abortions banned?

Numure
I was stating, that you follow your moral code, and I folloew mine. Both are quite different I presume.

ponygurl

I was stating, that you follow your moral code, and I folloew mine. Both are quite different I presume.

You presume correctly.
And despite your deficit.. you remain a worthy debate opponent..(at least you read before you post).

Reverend Blair
Ponygurl, when you take a position of moral superiority when opposing a viewpoint, you imply all that opposition entails...in this case banning abortions. Don't support a viewpoint if you don't believe in it. This is a public forum, not your living room.

As for whether you are any more moral than anybody else on this page...No you are not.

EternalSunshine
I believe abortion should definitely be legal. At same time there is so much more that can and should be done to avoid it: yes, teaching abstinence too, but in general, education, prevention and different options, so that it really is last possible resort.

And those of us, who are fortunate enough to have been raised to be responsible and have high moral values, and fortunate enough to be able to raise our children the same way, we should not be so quick to judge those that didn't have such luck. Some people just don't know any better, they didn't have anyone to teach them.

joellewoodruff
ok that was my mistake, I have read your previous post. But what about the other girls I brought up, and those other situations?

Kyle
Hey well you gotta go sometime right? Let the girls do what they want with there body! Us guys put em in that position, let em get out out of it.

I don't really have many morals, as long as I'm breathing, then all is good in the world. You have to look out for yourself now a days, you will just have people walkin all over you, know what I'm sayin?

If I knocked up a girl, and she wanted to get rid of it, well I would let her, it's her body. Not saying I don't want to be a father someday. but yah whatever, less people in the world to feed and clothe that the government can't afford....

gnuman
Sounds so american your response. What about your rights? What if you wanted the kid and she didn't just because she got pregnant you advocate your right to a decision?

Big deal she carries the kid, heck plenty of fat ppl out there carry extra weight, so what makes a girl carry a kid any different?

Kyle
So american? To many of you damn racists out there.

My rights? Well its her body, if I wanted it, well then I guess I couldn't do much right? She can get rid of it, and I can just go find a new wifey.
It's her loss!

gnuman
No you DO have a legal right if she does. You can actually get a court order to prevent her from doing it if you really want the baby....

You can always argue well what about the fetus's rights etc.... It has been done before to prevent a woman from abusing her right and not giving the father any say in the matter.

moghrabi
We are not racist like you. But you said it in your own words, "I don't really have many morals, as long as I'm breathing, then all is good in the world". That tells a lot about you and your like.

Numure
Quote: Originally Posted by EternalSunshine

I believe abortion should definitely be legal. At same time there is so much more that can and should be done to avoid it: yes, teaching abstinence too, but in general, education, prevention and different options, so that it really is last possible resort.

And those of us, who are fortunate enough to have been raised to be responsible and have high moral values, and fortunate enough to be able to raise our children the same way, we should not be so quick to judge those that didn't have such luck. Some people just don't know any better, they didn't have anyone to teach them.

Why teach abstinence? Sex isnt something that should be taboo. Practicing safe sex, should be the number 1 teaching. They should also teach all aspects of sex...

EternalSunshine

Why teach abstinence? Sex isnt something that should be taboo. Practicing safe sex, should be the number 1 teaching. They should also teach all aspects of sex...

I do think that for the very young abstinence is the right thing. We all know that there's not one contraception that is 100% effective (after all Rachel and Ross did use a condom ), and an unwanted pregnancy at that age is so much more serious and complicated, regardless of how it ends.

Kyle
Abstinence is evil. Why deny what your body is built for!

American Voice
An American "race," Kyle? Really? About twenty years ago, I was double-digging a trench for a hedge at the rear of my property. About eighteen inches down, I exposed a white flint Clovis-point arrowhead, a Miller lanceolate, to be exact. Identical artifacts discovered by the archeological team from the Mercyhurst Institute at their Meadowcroft site in Pennsylvania have been dated at between 11,700 and 12,300 years before the present. As listed in the deed prospectus for my home, the first legal owner of this property was United States President John Adams, in 1805. I figure, some guy was out hunting for his supper, shot an arrow and missed. It remained undiscovered until I found it. I live on a ridge, three miles from a river that is little wider than a creek today, but which must have been much wider in the wake of the last ice age. I have studied the local atlas from 1870, and my county was dotted with numerous native mounds. Our county courthouse, in fact, is built upon a substantial mound--located on Mound Street, in fact. Now, my ancestors were German (of various tribes), French, Swiss, and even some English. American "race" you say? So what is that? It's nothing more than a figment of someone's imagination, eh?