2019 Cricket World Cup get underway

Blackleaf
The 2019 Cricket World Cup got underway yesterday. World No1, tournament favourites and hosts England started the proceedings with a convincing 104 run win over South Africa at the Oval in London.

England 311-8
South Africa 207

Meanwhile, at Trent Bridge in Nottinghamshire, the West Indies are on their way to victory over Pakistan:

Latest score

Pakistan 105
West Indies 70-2

West Indies need 36 more runs to win with 40.3 overs remaining

Last edited by Blackleaf; May 31st, 2019 at 07:47 AM..

Blackleaf
Windies thrash Pakistan by seven wickets

Pakistan: 105
West Indies: 108-3

Trent Bridge, Nottingham

West Indies produced a blistering bowling display to crush Pakistan by seven wickets and begin their World Cup campaign with an emphatic victory at Trent Bridge.

The two-time champions bowled Pakistan out for just 105 in 21.4 overs - their second lowest total in World Cup history.

All 10 wickets fell to seam with the West Indies bowlers quick and hostile in front of a crowd vociferously in support of Pakistan in Nottingham.

Oshane Thomas took 4-27, captain Jason Holder 3-42 and Andre Russell a brilliant 2-4 in three overs as only two Pakistan batsmen passed 20.

Chris Gayle smashed 50 from 34 balls with three sixes to give West Indies' chase a quick start and, despite three wickets for Mohammad Amir, the win was sealed with 36.1 overs remaining when Nicholas Pooran smashed a huge six.

The bowling performance only strengthens the view that West Indies could be serious contenders to win their first 50-over World Cup since 1979, while it is a miserable start for Pakistan who won the Champions Trophy in England just two years ago.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/48475869

Blackleaf
Afghanistan vs Australia (Bristol County Ground)

Afghanistan: 17-2

New Zealand vs Sri Lanka (Sophia Gardens, Cardiff)

Sri Lanka: 136
NZ: 23-0

NZ need 114 more runs from 45.2 overs

Blackleaf
New Zealand have dismantled Sri Lanka, winning by the maximum 10 wickets:

Sri Lanka: 136
New Zealand: 137-0

Blackleaf
+1
#5  Top Rated Post
England reach Cricket World Cup final with thrashing of Australia

By Stephan Shemilt
BBC Sport at Edgbaston
11 July 2019
BBC Sport

Semi-final

Australia: 223
England: 226-2

England win by 8 wickets

England surged into their first World Cup final for 27 years with a sensational eight-wicket demolition of Australia at Edgbaston.

The hosts will have the chance to lift the trophy for the first time when they meet New Zealand at Lord's on Sunday.

A first win in a World Cup knockout match since 1992 was secured over the defending champions on a day that will live long in the memory, justifiably alongside anything from the 2005 Ashes or the 2010-11 tour of Australia.

It was built on a riotous opening seven overs, when Australia were reduced to 14-3 by the new-ball brilliance of Chris Woakes and Jofra Archer.

Steve Smith, so often England's nemesis, held Australia together with 85, helping them to a total of 223 that at least gave them something to bowl at.

But home nerves over the menacing presence of Mitchell Starc were allayed by a prolific opening partnership between Jason Roy and Jonny Bairstow, who added 124 for the first wicket.

Roy crashed 85 before Joe Root and Eoin Morgan took England to their target with 17.5 overs to spare.

The ease of England's progression to the final was such a contrast to the group-stage defeat by Australia that left them on the brink of elimination.

Since then they have beaten India, New Zealand and turned in this, their best performance of the tournament to date.

They will start the final, which will be shown as free-to-air on Channel 4, as firm favourites to be crowned world champions.

2019 Cricket World Cup final - England vs New Zealand

Lord's, London

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/cricket/48870770

Blackleaf
This was a sublime performance from England. The whole warehouse was tense today during the match, with many people catching glimpses of it when they could on their phones. Even my Congolese pal Robert Yannick was watching the odd bit of it, and cricket isn't big in his country. He's had me teach him the rules.

But this victory over the Australians is so sweet for the English because it not only comes against our fiercest cricket - and probably sporting, full stop - rivals, but it came against an Aussie team featuring two players who were banned for a year for cheating.

And England's reply against Australia was devastating. England needed 224 to win after Australia were all out for 223, but such was England's firepower that they could have hit 400 at least if possible, and would likely have done so had they batted first, and 400 is a gargantuan score in one day cricket.

Now just one more win, against New Zealand, and we'll win the World Cup.

Blackleaf

Last edited by Blackleaf; Jul 11th, 2019 at 07:20 PM..

Blackleaf
We're underway in the 2019 Cricket World Cup final at Lord's. New Zealand won the toss and decided to bat first. It's been a fine first ten overs from England, taking an early wicket, that of Guptill, lbw from Woakes. He went for 19, making it 29-1. New Zealand are currently 42-1. England are on top.

Curious Cdn
*crickets*

Blackleaf
New Zealand: 241-8

Guptill 19
Nicholls 55
Williamson 30
Taylor 15
Latham 47
Neesham 19
de Grandhomme 16
Santner 5 (not out)
Henry 4
Boult 1 (not out)

Extras: 30

England require 242 to win

The Kiwis will be disappointed they didn't get at least 250.

If England's big guns get off to a flyer, this is done and dusted.

Curious Cdn
*crickets*

Blackleaf
England on 57-1, needing another 185 runs from 34.4 overs. The wicket was that of Roy, who went for 17, leaving England on 28-1.

The Win Predictor gives England an 83% chance of victory, but there's still a long way to go and it could still go any way.

Blackleaf
This is going to be tight and it's unbearable to watch.

England are on 128-4. At this stage stage in their innings, New Zealand were 141-3.

Blackleaf
COME ON! We can can do this. 163-4. 79 more needed from just 10.4 overs.

It was looking hairy for England at one point, but now they are right back in it. It's going to be tight.

Blackleaf
Just 66 needed from 51 balls.
Earlier in England's batting innings they were in real trouble. They've somehow come back into it and it seems as though they may now be closing in on their first World Cup title.

Blackleaf
oh my god...

Blackleaf
BREAKING NEWS

ENGLAND WIN THE 2019 CRICKET WORLD CUP

UNBELIEVABLE SCENES AT LORD'S

ABSOLUTE MADNESS.

There are fireworks going off outside the house!!

Blackleaf
In what was definitely the greatest World Cup final ever - if not the greatest ever one-day cricket match - England became the first team ever to win the tournament in a Super Over after the match ended in a tie. Cricket's equivalent of a penalty shootout.

That meant that each team had to face an extra over - six balls each - with the team scoring the most runs winning. England scored 15 in theirs, leaving New Zealand having to score 16 in their over to win the tournament. With just one ball remaining, they needed to score just two runs - nerve-wracking stuff! Instead the batsman facing the ball, Guptill, was run out by the bowler, Roy!

Cue pandemonium at Lord's and around England!

Last edited by Blackleaf; Jul 14th, 2019 at 01:46 PM..

Blackleaf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBxrvKjWf2I

Blackleaf
England won the 1966 Football World Cup final after extra time.

England won the 2003 Rugby Union World Cup after extra time.

England won the 2019 Cricket World Cup after extra time.

Curious Cdn
*crickets*

NZDoug
O.K. We lost, good game.
Its 7.40 AM here in NZ Monday morning as the nation hits the sack.
If you show up at work this morning you are not a patriot....

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by NZDoug View Post

O.K. We lost, good game.

Its 7.40 AM here in NZ Monday morning as the nation hits the sack.

If you show up at work this morning you are not a patriot....

I don't start my shift until 2pm. When I arrived at work today I saw a swarthy looking guy from the previous shift about to clock out. He was talking about the game with Geoff from our shift. I noticed his accent. I said: "Where are you from? Australia or New Zealand?"

He said: "I'm a New Zealander."

And I said, jokingly: "Oh dear."

My Congolese pal Robert said to him: "I'm sorry." Robert has started to get into cricket, inspired by England finally winning the World Cup after losing in three previous finals.

Just for the record, this 51 overs each way match started at 10:45am in the UK and finished around 7:30pm - and what a torturous gut-wrencher it was for hours. England looked to be out of it several times, but they just refused to die and won in the most extraordinary and bizarre and dramatic circumstances.

But it was the tournament's best team that won: the most wins, the most fours, the most sixes, the biggest score (397-6 against Afghanistan).

Last edited by Blackleaf; Jul 15th, 2019 at 05:06 PM..

Blackleaf
England has also become the first nation to win the Football World Cup, the Rugby Union World Cup and the Cricket World Cup.

It has a unique Triple Crown.

Curious Cdn
*crickets*

Blackleaf
Got the Rugby Union World Cup coming up in the autumn - which England stand a good chance of winning.

We could win two world cups in the same year.

Blackleaf
Cricket fan Theresa May - who has just one week left as PM until she is replaced by Johnson or Hunt - met the heroes of the England & Wales cricket team at No 10 where they quaffed champagne. The team showed off the gleaming trophy and presented May with a signed bat.

Mrs May and captain Eoin Morgan hold the trophy aloft