Tiger Roll won a thrilling Grand National to become the first horse since Red Rum 45 years ago to win the Aintree race back-to-back.

The 4-1 favourite, ridden by Davy Russell, was level with Magic of Light (66-1) going over the last fence, but pulled clear to repeat last year's win.

Ruby Walsh finished third on Rathvinden (8-1) with Walk in the Mill (25-1) fourth.

Grand National: Tiger Roll becomes first back-to-back winner since Red Rum

BBC News
6 April 2019

Tiger Roll won a thrilling Grand National to become the first horse since Red Rum 45 years ago to win the Aintree race back-to-back.

The 4-1 favourite, ridden by Davy Russell, was level with Magic of Light (66-1) going over the last fence, but pulled clear to repeat last year's win.

Ruby Walsh finished third on Rathvinden (8-1) with Walk in the Mill (25-1) fourth.

Russell said: "I can't believe this has happened."

Speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live, the 39-year-old Irishman added: "Two Grand Nationals is a dream and beyond anything I thought I would ever achieve.

"I love Liverpool. They have the most spectacular sporting event. It touches the world - I'm just so happy to be involved.

"It's brilliant news if this is the worst day for the bookies! If the taxi driver and the baker raise a glass to Tiger Roll, that is the beauty of it all."

It was a third National success for trainer Gordon Elliott, who as well as last year also won with Silver Birch in 2007.

However, Willie Mullins-trained Up For Review suffered a fatal injury after it was brought down at the first, becoming the race's first fatality since 2012.

Of the other fancied horses, Anibale Fly made a bad mistake towards the end of the first circuit but ran on to finish fifth, while 2017 winner One For Arthur came sixth.

Tiger Roll the history maker

Tiger Roll was carrying weights of 11st 5lbs - 6lb more than last yearNot since the legendary Red Rum in 1974 had a horse successfully defended the Grand National.

Red Rum added a third in 1977 to become one of the all-time greats, and now Tiger Roll has sealed his place in Aintree folklore.

Tiger Roll was the overwhelming favourite and is the shortest-priced winner since Poethlyn (11-4) exactly 100 years ago.

Tiger Roll's odds came despite carrying more weight than last year, although he had shown his wellbeing by winning his two most recent starts, firstly over hurdles and then in the Cross Country Chase at the Cheltenham Festival in March.

The nine-year-old's chances were played down before the race by his owner, Ryanair tycoon Michael O'Leary.

And the smallest horse in the field did not feature at the front for the opening two thirds of the race, but timed his charge perfectly in the closing stages.

He looked the strongest over the final three fences and, after taking the last, Tiger Roll cruised clear to win by two-and-three-quarter lengths.

O'Leary said afterwards: "It's unbelievable. It's a phenomenal training performance by Gordon. It's brilliant that he keeps bringing this horse back at Cheltenham better than ever and Aintree better than ever.

"And what a ride by Davy - fantastic. It's unbelievable, to win two Grand Nationals is just incredible."

The win is the second consecutive Grand National victory for owner Michael O'Leary (left) and jockey Davy Russell

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/47840436