The Resignation Thread

Hoof Hearted
+2
Figured we might as well keep a tally...

1) Jody Wilson-Raybould

2) Gerald Butts

3) Jane Philpott

4) Back Bench MP Celina Caesar-Chavannes

To be continued...

Mowich
Conservative
+3
The Philpott earthquake

By Paul Wells
Maclean's Magazine

With Jane Philpott’s resignation from the cabinet, Justin Trudeau’s government is now in a crisis that ranks with the coalition challenge to Stephen Harper in 2008 and Jean Chrétien’s dismissal of Paul Martin in 2002.

That probably understates matters, actually: Those two previous shocks were about ambition; they engaged matters of principle almost by accident. This one is a direct challenge to a government by two (and counting?) ministers with no perceptible ambitions beyond their former posts—though buckle up, because they’ll both be accused of scheming—on the gravest grounds of ethics.

Perhaps the most important words in Philpott’s resignation letter are her mention of “constitutional obligations.” The implication, the implicit accusation, is that while she knows where hers are located, the Prime Minister of Canada can’t find his. I’m pretty sure another prime ministerial news conference on space exploration isn’t going to cut it this time.

I have more to say about this, boy do I. But while I have you, a word about the day’s events at Queen’s Park. It will seem like an odd detour. It really isn’t.

Today the government of Ontario fired the deputy commissioner of the Ontario Provincial Police, weeks after he blew the whistle on the manifestly improper appointment of Doug Ford’s personal friend Ron Taverner as OPP commissioner. The government’s explanation was that Brad Blair’s firing was decided by the deputy minister of community safety, Mario Di Tommaso, which gives it the aura of respectability. Because it’s all arms-length, right? A public servant decided that this was something that had to happen, so it’s not actually a government pulling the trap door on the one man who stood in the way of abject cronyism at the highest intersection of government and law enforcement.

Except here’s the thing. That deputy minister, Di Tommaso, is an old friend of both Ford’s and Taverner’s. He was appointed deputy minister eight weeks before Taverner’s appointment was announced. And when he was appointed, Ford’s biggest admirer in the Queen’s Park press gallery wrote a column applauding the appointment, quoting… Ron Taverner about how great it was that Mario Di Tommaso would be in a position of influence.

I’m gonna get back to my day job in federal politics, but what happened today in Ontario politics is, itself, a scandal. Taken together, the big stories in Toronto and Ottawa pose serious questions about this country’s cultural commitment to the rule of law. If “but my opponents!” becomes the constant excuse for every transgression against what Chrystia Freeland likes to call “the rules-based international order,” then we are not better governed than Poland.

Right. Philpott. She just demoted the hell out of Gerald Butts, who’s supposed to show up at the justice committee on Wednesday with some emails suggesting Jody Wilson-Raybould isn’t Nelson Mandela. At this point, Butts could show up with an actual hat, and an actual rabbit in the hat, and it wouldn’t distract from the questions Wilson-Raybould and Philpott have raised.

Second: I suspect this post will be to some extent stale-dated by tonight, because every cabinet minister, and every Liberal member of Parliament, has a decision to make right now. Today. We are about to find out who is serious, and who merely plays serious on Instagram. The time for “Poor Jody couldn’t take the heat” and “but Andrew Scheer!” is over. That second question will be settled by Canadian voters in October, and I think it’s entirely possible, as one possibility among many, that Scheer’s Conservatives won’t be persuasive to enough voters.

But as I started writing in December, a country gets into trouble when it turns every question into an electoral question. The party stripe of the government is not the only interesting question. Here’s another: is the government we have, the Prime Minister we have, so deep in moral denial that they can never find their way back?

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/ott...tt-earthquake/

Apparently the latest cover of the magazine has a photo of the little potato with the caption 'The Imposter'.

spaminator
+1
we are resigned to the fact that we may never get rid of luciford 2.0 and Justine.

spaminator
+1
I have decided to resign from Toronto city council, the Ontario conservatives, and the federal liberals.

Twin_Moose
Conservative
+3
'She was the hope': Indigenous leaders shocked by Philpott's cabinet resignation

Mowich
Conservative
+1

Hoid
You forgot Tootoo

Twin_Moose
Conservative
+3
Liberal MP Joyce Murray, vocal pipeline critic, named new head of Treasury Board in cabinet shuffle

Mowich
Conservative
+4
Privy Council Clerk Michael Wernick retiring amid questions over his role in SNC-Lavalin affair

globalnews.ca/news/5068389/michael-wernick-retiring-snc-lavalin-affair/?utm_source=notification/

Twin_Moose
Conservative
+3
He should be fired and stripped of his golden pension

pgs
Free Thinker
+5
#11  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

Privy Council Clerk Michael Wernick retiring amid questions over his role in SNC-Lavalin affair

globalnews.ca/news/5068389/michael-wernick-retiring-snc-lavalin-affair/?utm_source=notification/

Rats and a sinking ship , that’s what they do .

Ron in Regina
Free Thinker
+4

From: http://nationalpost.com/news/politic...ichael-wernick

Speaking to reporters in Ottawa on Monday, after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced his intention to name Shugart the next Privy Council clerk, Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland said her deputy is a “fantastic choice.”

Oh yeah, I'm assuming the Liberal Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland's Deputy is a fine nonpartisan and unbiased choice.

pgs
Free Thinker
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

Speaking to reporters in Ottawa on Monday, after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced his intention to name Shugart the next Privy Council clerk, Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland said her deputy is a “fantastic choice.”

Oh yeah, I'm assuming the Liberal Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland's Deputy is a fine nonpartisan and unbiased choice.

What kind of parachute does he get ?

Hoid
Another Harper mistake.

pgs
Free Thinker
+3

Yes a non partisan , I wonder how hard he worked instigating the previous governments agenda ?

Ron in Regina
Free Thinker
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Yes a non partisan , I wonder how hard he worked instigating the previous governments agenda ?

I'm assuming Micheal Wernick wasn't wearing a Liberal Supporter T-Shirt blatantly while he worked with the previous government.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Djo6bjXzqs

Ron in Regina
Free Thinker
+3
On January 22, 2016, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced that Michael Wernick would replace Charette as Clerk of the Privy Council. On July 19, 2016, she was officially appointed as the Canadian High Commissioner to the United Kingdom.

Hoid
A Harper man

Ron in Regina
Free Thinker
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

A Harper man

Who? Wernick in the role of the Clerk of the Privy Council? Or Wernick before he was appointed to the top of the pile of the Privy Council? Or someone else?

Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
+4

Another Harper mistake.

Yes, it's all Harper's fault that the Liberals tried to play stupid f*cking games and got caught. It's all Harper's fault that Groper and gang (most of 'em) attempted to commit obstruction of justice. It's all Harper's fault that Groper slipped the DPA legislation into a 500+ page omnibus budget bill despite his screaming and crying like a little girl about Harper and omnibus bills.

I love how you support obstruction of justice, terrorists (only non-white ones though), corruption, back-room legislation, gross ethics violations, the politics of division, self-aggrandizing at the expense of Canada and Canadians, faux feminism, handing out bailouts, and fake news. But only when it's Groper and his traveling circus engaging in them.

Tell me, what's it like having someone else do all your thinking for you? What's it like stumbling through life in a haze of emotional relativism without a shred of logic or reasoning entering that big empty cobweb factory between your ears?

Danbones
Free Thinker
It all matters not when you are collecting the big whammies at the river bank.

Hoid
the funny part is watching the nattys turn this conservative into a liberal

Twin_Moose
Conservative

A Harper man

Chretien man

Twin_Moose
Conservative
LINK

Quote:

From 1996 to 2002 Wernick held Assistant Deputy Minister positions at the Department of Canadian Heritage. He worked on cultural policy issues including film policy, copyright, the entry of Amazon into the Canadian book market, music policy as the internet disrupted traditional industry practices, and the trade dispute with the United States regarding split run magazines. In 2002 his first appointment at the Deputy Minister level was as Associate Deputy Minister at Canadian Heritage.
In 2003 he moved back to Privy Council Office as Deputy Secretary - Plans and Consultations where he supported the transition from Prime Minister Chrétien to Martin and later from Martin to Harper in 2006. Wernick attended the last meeting of the Chrétien Cabinet, the first and last meetings of the Martin Cabinet and the first meeting of the Harper Cabinet.
In May 2006 Wernick appointed Deputy Minister at the then Department of Indian and Northern Affairs, where he remained for eight years, serving Ministers Jim Prentice, Chuck Strahl, John Duncan and Bernard Valcourt.

Decapoda
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

Liberal MP Joyce Murray, vocal pipeline critic, named new head of Treasury Board in cabinet shuffle

Not that it was any surprise, but this cabinet pick checks two eminently crucial boxes for Gropinator. First she's not a man so she fits the gender bias at the expense of basing the choice primarily on credentials. And second, she completely despises pipelines and the Alberta oilsands.

B.C. MP joins Liberal leadership race, pushes for end to 'stone age' pipeline projects

The oilsands is “an important industry and one of the things that’s important about it is that it provides the wealth to transition out of the Stone Age, to transition to an era where we have energy efficiency and green energy,” she told a news conference here.

Asked if she viewed the oilsands as a “Stone Age” industry, she replied: “We need to shift away from carbon resources that are creating harm in the atmosphere and creating risk and threat to the future, to our kids and their kids.”

What does Murray think of Transmountain Pipeline?? Well geez, lets see....

“Those pipelines would be a massive multi-billion-dolllar investment (in) an infrastructure that is locking us into a business model that is obsolete,” she said.

Yep...perfect fit for Trudeau's cabinet.
Last edited by Decapoda; Mar 19th, 2019 at 09:58 AM..

spilledthebeer
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

OH YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An absolutely fine and upstanding selection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Unless you want something resembling HONESTY in govt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want reasonably honest govt then you must wait till after the October election selection process and winnowing out of LIE-beral assholes is completed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hoid
“Those pipelines would be a massive multi-billion-dolllar investment (in) an infrastructure that is locking us into a business model that is obsolete,”

Sums it up nicely.

spilledthebeer

The Philpott earthquake

By Paul Wells
Maclean's Magazine

With Jane Philpott’s resignation from the cabinet, Justin Trudeau’s government is now in a crisis that ranks with the coalition challenge to Stephen Harper in 2008 and Jean Chrétien’s dismissal of Paul Martin in 2002.

That probably understates matters, actually: Those two previous shocks were about ambition; they engaged matters of principle almost by accident. This one is a direct challenge to a government by two (and counting?) ministers with no perceptible ambitions beyond their former posts—though buckle up, because they’ll both be accused of scheming—on the gravest grounds of ethics.

Perhaps the most important words in Philpott’s resignation letter are her mention of “constitutional obligations.” The implication, the implicit accusation, is that while she knows where hers are located, the Prime Minister of Canada can’t find his. I’m pretty sure another prime ministerial news conference on space exploration isn’t going to cut it this time.

I have more to say about this, boy do I. But while I have you, a word about the day’s events at Queen’s Park. It will seem like an odd detour. It really isn’t.

Today the government of Ontario fired the deputy commissioner of the Ontario Provincial Police, weeks after he blew the whistle on the manifestly improper appointment of Doug Ford’s personal friend Ron Taverner as OPP commissioner. The government’s explanation was that Brad Blair’s firing was decided by the deputy minister of community safety, Mario Di Tommaso, which gives it the aura of respectability. Because it’s all arms-length, right? A public servant decided that this was something that had to happen, so it’s not actually a government pulling the trap door on the one man who stood in the way of abject cronyism at the highest intersection of government and law enforcement.

Except here’s the thing. That deputy minister, Di Tommaso, is an old friend of both Ford’s and Taverner’s. He was appointed deputy minister eight weeks before Taverner’s appointment was announced. And when he was appointed, Ford’s biggest admirer in the Queen’s Park press gallery wrote a column applauding the appointment, quoting… Ron Taverner about how great it was that Mario Di Tommaso would be in a position of influence.

I’m gonna get back to my day job in federal politics, but what happened today in Ontario politics is, itself, a scandal. Taken together, the big stories in Toronto and Ottawa pose serious questions about this country’s cultural commitment to the rule of law. If “but my opponents!” becomes the constant excuse for every transgression against what Chrystia Freeland likes to call “the rules-based international order,” then we are not better governed than Poland.

Right. Philpott. She just demoted the hell out of Gerald Butts, who’s supposed to show up at the justice committee on Wednesday with some emails suggesting Jody Wilson-Raybould isn’t Nelson Mandela. At this point, Butts could show up with an actual hat, and an actual rabbit in the hat, and it wouldn’t distract from the questions Wilson-Raybould and Philpott have raised.

Second: I suspect this post will be to some extent stale-dated by tonight, because every cabinet minister, and every Liberal member of Parliament, has a decision to make right now. Today. We are about to find out who is serious, and who merely plays serious on Instagram. The time for “Poor Jody couldn’t take the heat” and “but Andrew Scheer!” is over. That second question will be settled by Canadian voters in October, and I think it’s entirely possible, as one possibility among many, that Scheer’s Conservatives won’t be persuasive to enough voters.

But as I started writing in December, a country gets into trouble when it turns every question into an electoral question. The party stripe of the government is not the only interesting question. Here’s another: is the government we have, the Prime Minister we have, so deep in moral denial that they can never find their way back?

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/ott...tt-earthquake/

Apparently the latest cover of the magazine has a photo of the little potato with the caption 'The Imposter'.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The latest McLean`s Magazine cover DOES CALL Our idiot Boy "The Imposter"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for LIE-berals being able to find their way back into the light..............................

Yeah..............the PARTY will continue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But of course a WHOLE LOT OF PEOPLE currently IN the party will have to be PUT OUT of the party first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The LIE-beral brand has been smeared in TOXIC bigotry and Mouldy Green LIES and SCANDALS of many sorts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Decapoda
+2

“Those pipelines would be a massive multi-billion-dolllar investment (in) an infrastructure that is locking us into a business model that is obsolete,”

Sums it up nicely.

In your deluded, brainwashed mind, maybe. In reality however, modern human civilization would be rendered obsolete without oil and gas.

Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
+3

Sums it up nicely.

Well hold on a second. Just the other day you were crowing about how Trudeau is doing something because he spent $4.5 billion on a pipeline. How is that "doing something" to you when you totally agree with this broad's assessment about pipelines.