Ban on Single Use Plastic bags:2021


taxslave
Free Thinker
+3
#31
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

Canadians overwhelmingly support action to reduce plastic waste.
The only ones who do not are - surprise surprise - the ones who don't believe in climate change.
And nobody cares what they think.

Reducing plastic waste isn't the same as banning the use of plastic containers.
And you are right: We don't care what you think.
 
taxslave
Free Thinker
+2
#32
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

There is no one action that is going to eliminate this problem. A ban on certain plastics is one thing that can be tried in order to help out.

So ban the use of plastics that go into computers. Nobody really needs them anyway.
 
taxslave
Free Thinker
+3
#33
Quote: Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze View Post

So what?? Time for innovative thinking and products.........before we choke the ocean and its wonderful inhabitants with human plastic refuse.There sis no need to get plastic grocery bags when one can use fabric reusable ones.
The humanoid has to take responsibility for its actions on this splendid planet....that is home to everyone.

trudOWE and thinking, nevermind inovative thinking can not be used in the same sentence. Except by a comedien.
 
Hoid
-1
#34
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

So ban the use of plastics that go into computers. Nobody really needs them anyway.

it would be awesome if you knew what you were talking about.
 
Danbones
Free Thinker
#35
The cotton that goes into those fabric bags is one of the most toxic crops mankind grows.
 
harrylee
Free Thinker
+3
#36
Actually, it's not a bad idea to ban certain plastics. Maybe, other recyclable things can be used in their place.
That does not mean that all of the liberal ideas are good. The carbon tax will do nothing but line their pockets, but is being forced anyways....until Oct hopefully.
 
Danbones
Free Thinker
+1
#37
Considering the crashing economy, I would think it's extremely doubtful any taxes will be repealed while that is occurring.
 
DaSleeper
+2
#38
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

If there were a nickle deposit on a bag you'd never see one in a landfill ever again.

There is already in Ontario, and most of those bags have the recyclable logo on them.......
 
DaSleeper
#39
double post
 
Mowich
Conservative
+2
#40
Quote: Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze View Post

The disposable culture has to come to an end.....or at least be curtailed.........as even planet earth has finite space.

Nice thought, Breezy but not likely to happen. If anything the disposable culture is accelerating as more and more cheaply made products appear on the shelves. One only has to look at the current crop of printers. When it is by far cheaper to buy a new printer than it is to buy the ink - it leaves little room for decision. Thus I now have a total of four printers - in their original boxes stored in my shed. I have no idea what will become of them but I refuse to surrender a perfectly good machine to a landfill. A friend of mine just purchased a new laser printer simply because his last one stopped communicating with his computer and no amount of technical input from Staples technicians helped. What a frickin' waste.
 
Ocean Breeze
Free Thinker
+1
#41
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

Nice thought, Breezy but not likely to happen. If anything the disposable culture is accelerating as more and more cheaply made products appear on the shelves. One only has to look at the current crop of printers. When it is by far cheaper to buy a new printer than it is to buy the ink - it leaves little room for decision. Thus I now have a total of four printers - in their original boxes stored in my shed. I have no idea what will become of them but I refuse to surrender a perfectly good machine to a landfill. A friend of mine just purchased a new laser printer simply because his last one stopped communicating with his computer and no amount of technical input from Staples technicians helped. What a frickin' waste.

what a waste: Indeed. Faster, cheaper manufacturing with plastics also reduces the quality of the items as well. They don' t last as long.......and are not meant to.

But if we address the plastic bags......(grocery etc.) seriously......it would be a good start

Bring your won bag .......kinda thing that many are doing now.I like the fact that most stores now ask if one NEEDS a bag and '/or charges for them ( at least where I reside)
Last edited by Ocean Breeze; 4 days ago at 08:22 PM..
 
pgs
Free Thinker
+3
#42
Quote: Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze View Post

what a waste: Indeed. Faster, cheaper manufacturing with plastics also reduces the quality of the items as well. They don' t last as long.......and are not meant to.

But if we address the plastic bags......(grocery etc.) seriously......it would be a good start

Bring your won bag .......kinda thing that many are doing now.I like the fact that most stores now ask if one NEEDS a bag and '/or charges for them ( at least where I reside)

Yes back in the sixties a big insult was to be called plastic , yet our whole population bought into it . Heck we even thought we could save the trees by using plastic .
 
Ocean Breeze
Free Thinker
+1
#43
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Yes back in the sixties a big insult was to be called plastic , yet our whole population bought into it . Heck we even thought we could save the trees by using plastic .

What were "we" thinking??
 
pgs
Free Thinker
#44
Quote: Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze View Post

What were "we" thinking??

We weren’t. Did you know plastic bushings are cheaper then brass ?
 
Hoid
-1
#45
than
 
Ocean Breeze
Free Thinker
+1
#46
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

We weren’t. Did you know plastic bushings are cheaper then brass ?

Cheaper does not mean better , more reliable or longer lasting.
 
Hoid
+1
#47
also not single use.
 
Ocean Breeze
Free Thinker
#48
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

also not single use.

"single use"....those are the operative words.
 
B00Mer
No Party Affiliation
-2
#49
It won't hole up in court..

State Supreme Court case could bring an end to plastic bag bans in Texas

Other areas failed.. stupid law, by stupid people.. honestly, they need to fire up the ovens at Auschwitz and toss all the fukking Liberal politicians into them.

...
..
.
Last edited by B00Mer; 4 days ago at 10:55 PM..
 
pgs
Free Thinker
#50
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

than

The teacher has spoken . Who cares , you got my point .
 
Hoid
-1
#51
ya english is hard - so why bother.
 
Danbones
Free Thinker
#52
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Yes back in the sixties a big insult was to be called plastic , yet our whole population bought into it . Heck we even thought we could save the trees by using plastic .

But at least we use the plastic trees they cut down at Christmas, so it isn't a total waste.

Also, I kind of enjoy those astro turf fields after they clear cut them...good place to do baseball and drink beer.
 
Danbones
Free Thinker
#53
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

ya english is hard - so why bother.

'cause the white people you hate so much speak it?
 
Hoid
-1
#54
some of them do
 
Mowich
Conservative
+2
#55
Quote: Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze View Post

what a waste: Indeed. Faster, cheaper manufacturing with plastics also reduces the quality of the items as well. They don' t last as long.......and are not meant to.

But if we address the plastic bags......(grocery etc.) seriously......it would be a good start

Bring your won bag .......kinda thing that many are doing now.I like the fact that most stores now ask if one NEEDS a bag and '/or charges for them ( at least where I reside)

I've been using cloth bags for all my shopping for over a decade now. Not only are they easier on the hands then the the plastic bags when full, mine have flat bottoms so products aren't falling over and squishing each other. I have cloth freezer bags that keep things cool till I get home - great for produce and for items like ice cream.
 
Walter
+2
#56
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

I've been using cloth bags for all my shopping for over a decade now. Not only are they easier on the hands then the the plastic bags when full, mine have flat bottoms so products aren't falling over and squishing each other. I have cloth freezer bags that keep things cool till I get home - great for produce and for items like ice cream.

Good for you.
 
Twin_Moose
Conservative
#57
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

I've been using cloth bags for all my shopping for over a decade now. Not only are they easier on the hands then the the plastic bags when full, mine have flat bottoms so products aren't falling over and squishing each other. I have cloth freezer bags that keep things cool till I get home - great for produce and for items like ice cream.

What do you use when you buy more items than your bags can carry?
 
Walter
+2
#58
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

What do you use when you buy more items than your bags can carry?

Puts it in the trunk of his Prius.
 
B00Mer
No Party Affiliation
+1
#59


Need a meme for this... anyone..
 
B00Mer
No Party Affiliation
+1
#60
"to swallow, or not to swallow"
 

Similar Threads

80
Toronto bans plastic bags
by mentalfloss | Jun 14th, 2012