2018 - 2019 World Junior Hockey

Mowich
Can vs Finland going to OT after the Fins finally got one by DiPietro in the dying seconds of the 3rd P. Score: 1 - 1

Mowich
Congratulations to the Fins for one helluva of game. Thank you to Team Canada for a great tournament. Next year lads.

Kreskin
+1
The silver lining is we popped 14 on Denmark.

gopher
+2
Darn ~ sorry I missed the game as I attended a youth hockey triple header as my neighborhood club had three teams playing today. We tied the first game (age 14), lost the second by a wide margin (age 14 B squad), but won the third(age 16). Tomorrow - at least a double header is scheduled but a third one may be played as well.

Glad I have all these options to watch puck but hate to miss anything.

justlooking
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

The silver lining is we popped 14 on Denmark.

And then 10 goals in 4 games.
Looks like karma did bite us in the ass.

spaminator
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminator View Post

looks like grapes was right about karma.

Mowich
+1
The sun rose this morning. The world did not come to an end. Yeah our kids lost out on a medal - of any color - but life goes on. I do feel for the kids but I also agree with Duthie that this is not such a bad thing for World Junior Hockey as a whole. With more teams rising in the competition - take the Swiss for example - it makes for better hockey and a better competition.

spaminator
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

The world did not come to an end

it did. at least until the next hockey Canada tourney.

Walter
Team Canada sucked this year.

Mowich
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminator View Post

it did. at least until the next hockey Canada tourney.

I was just reading an article about all the online hate Maxime Comtois - captain of Team Canada - got after the loss, spam. It sickens me that people would be so shallow and so filled with hate that they would attack a kid because he missed a penalty shot. As if Maxime didn't feel bad enough about the loss, he now is faced with strangers calling him all kinds of names because of a hockey game. I love the IIHF - especially the Juniors. I love it when they win but I support them when they lose because that's what a sane person should do. It is because of this type of ignorant online bullying that I have drawn back from commenting on many issues. I am tired of the hate, the name-calling, the bickering and the anti-social comment made by people with too much time on their hands and no ability to reign in their bile.

Kreskin
+2
Congrats USA. Off to the Gold Medal game.

Mowich
+2
I would also like to add my congratulations to the US for their win over the Russians today. Great game kids.
Am watching the Swiss vs Fin game now. Go Switzerland, Go!

Kreskin
+2 / -1
The Swiss game is a dud.

Mowich
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

The Swiss game is a dud.

It is that, Kreskin and with the Fins leading 6 - 1, even early in the 3rd P, I think it is safe to predict that the US will play Finland in the Gold Medal game.

gopher
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

I was just reading an article about all the online hate Maxime Comtois - captain of Team Canada - got after the loss, spam. It sickens me that people would be so shallow and so filled with hate that they would attack a kid because he missed a penalty shot. As if Maxime didn't feel bad enough about the loss, he now is faced with strangers calling him all kinds of names because of a hockey game. I love the IIHF - especially the Juniors. I love it when they win but I support them when they lose because that's what a sane person should do. It is because of this type of ignorant online bullying that I have drawn back from commenting on many issues. I am tired of the hate, the name-calling, the bickering and the anti-social comment made by people with too much time on their hands and no ability to reign in their bile.

GREAT post.

bill barilko
+1
A few salient points

1-Comtois was the wrong choice for the penalty shot and Tim Hunter is to blame- Entwistle or Tibbet would have finessed a shot not tried to blast it.

2-Russia basically gave up against the USA-the coach played his Best players with 2 minutes left meaning he couldn't use them with the man advantage he was also quite relaxed/laughing with the other coaches at the end I wonder if he wasn't told to throw the game-it happens.

3-did I mention Tim Hunter was exactly the wrong person to coach the Canadian team?

Kreskin
Vancouver has some interestings prospects in the upcoming final: Quinn Hughes, Tyler Madden and Tonu Utunen. Utenen scored the OT goal knocking Canada out.

Mowich
After I almost fell asleep watching the 1rst P when Russia was skating circles around the Swiss and had 2 goals on the board, I was quickly brought back to full awareness when the Swiss got one by the Russian goalie. The 2nd P has been the exact opposite of the 1rst - lots more action, some great goalie moves and another goal apiece for the teams. This game went from boring to exciting and re-energized the fans in Vancouver who are heavily on the side of the Swiss.

Kreskin
+2
The Finns don't just have horseshoes they have the whole horse.

Mowich
+1
So here we are in the 3rd P of the Gold Medal game and the Fins just scored their 2nd goal of the game. Meanwhile after 5 PP attempts, the US has yet to put a goal in the net............mainly due to the outstanding net-minding of the Finnish goalie.

Oh, oh............the US just got on the board with 12:59 to go in the game.

Kreskin
+1
Wow 2-2.

Mowich
Fins just got their 3rd goal with 1:26 to go

Mowich
+1
Finland wins the Gold Medal! Well done lads. Just an excellent game by both teams.

gopher
+2
Terrific Gold Medal game!

Sad that refs disallowed our first goal - as the announcers said, it was clearly a bad call. But if that's the way they saw it, then so be it.

I've been saying for several years now that the WJC is likely the best amateur tournament in the world today. So much fun and such great excitement. I hope many young kids will be inspired to play the game after all this fun.

bill barilko
+1
The Finns deserve a Gold for their team play-those drop passes of theirs are better than the average NHL team can manage.

justlooking
+1
Congrats to the Finns. Well done !