New gadget lets police detect when you're texting while driving

B00Mer
New gadget lets police detect when you're texting while driving

You already know texting while driving is ridiculously dangerous, and in many place even illegal, but the cops canít enforce what they canít see, right? Not so fast.

If you think you can get away with a quick message to your friend while cruising to get your morning coffee, you might end up with a ticket thanks to a new type of sensor gun.

When a cell phone is being used, it emits radio frequencies that can be picked up and detected. The frequency varies depending on what the phone is being used foródata, voice calling and, of course, textingówhich can give a person away if they happen to be secretly tapping away at their phone out of view of any passersby.

A company in Virginia called ComSonics wants to turn this type of sensor into a pointable device that could be used by law enforcement in the same way a radar gun is. If an officer could target your vehicle with the device and detect a texting signal, they might be able to pull you over without ever actually seeing the violation take place.

Privacy hawks take note: The device would only be able to sense that a phone is being used for a specific purpose, and it cannot record or translate that signal into something readable. Itís simply designed to detect.

Of course, proving that a text was being typed out by the driver could be difficult to pull off, especially if a vehicle contains multiple occupants who could be texting. However, if a texting frequency is beaming from your car and youíre the only one in it, thatís going to be pretty hard to explain to an officer.

The device itself is reportedly nearing production, but would need to be tested and adopted by law enforcement agencies and approved by any state or local governments before it is put to use.

source: New gadget lets police detect when you're texting while driving

Hope they raise the fine for texting while driving and go to town issuing tickets..

petros
+4
#2  Top Rated Post
Is the gadget called a power pole? Those stop texters in an instant.

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Is the gadget called a power pole? Those stop texters in an instant.

Not enough sadly. UK Ad on Texting while driving..

PSA Texting while Driving U.K. Ad [HD] - YouTube

petros
At least drunks are trying to pay attention but drunk texting while driving is a well deserved death sentence.

Cannuck
I can text hands free.

petros
+1
Hands free or not it's still NFG.

MHz
Like not slowing down before the brakes almost lock up? Can the cops keep their eyes on the road while using it or do they have to be parked? What if there are two people in the car? How much for a Lawyer to get you off?
Why not a spelling app that sends and receives text after the voice is converted. 144 letter per text, received as letters over some speaker so eyes never leave the road.

Cannuck

Hands free or not it's still NFG.

No. There's no problem with hands free. In fact, it requires more effort to talk on the two-way which is perfectly legal.

MHz
There's the answer plug your phone into a CB mike, Voice navigation of your phone might be a bitch though. Call it Hal Low in the address book

petros
Texting with a two way is Morse code. Old as the hills and still no safer.

Cannuck
It's funny...I can drive a fire truck, at 3 in the morning, over the speed limit, operate the siren, shift gears and talk on the radio and talk on my cell, all at the same time and that that is legal.....but it's too dangerous to pick up my cell phone in my private vehicle.

petros
Yup.

taxslave
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

No. There's no problem with hands free. In fact, it requires more effort to talk on the two-way which is perfectly legal.

Talking on a two way radio while driving in BC is illegal except for emergency vehicles. Unles you have a voice activated mike. Couldn't get a staight answer on that one.

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Talking on a two way radio while driving in BC is illegal except for emergency vehicles. Unles you have a voice activated mike. Couldn't get a staight answer on that one.

They are legal here in our work trucks....at least we haven't been told not to use them while driving.

bill barilko
Used to see so much of this and saw two accidents I know were caused by it-stupid, stupid, stupid.

Cannuck
According to an insurance guy that our PW Sup met at a conference, the accident rate involving texting has gone up since the distracted driving law was brought in. Not surprising really. Education always works better than more laws. That doesn't benefit the insurance companies or the public coffers though.

Retired_Can_Soldier
Why does anyone need to text and drive in the first place?

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_Soldier View Post

What are you up to? I'm at the mall. Jayden is cute. Do you think he like, likes me? OMG!!! Sara is such a bitch.

Retired_Can_Soldier

What are you up to? I'm at the mall. Jayden is cute. Do you think he like, likes me? OMG!!! Sara is such a bitch.

Exactly.

Twila
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

It's funny...I can drive a fire truck, at 3 in the morning, over the speed limit, operate the siren, shift gears and talk on the radio and talk on my cell, all at the same time and that that is legal.....but it's too dangerous to pick up my cell phone in my private vehicle.

Do firemen get special driver training like Police? Those trucks are huge!

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Twila View Post

Oh crap now you had to go and ask didn't you.

Why text when you can call hands free? It isn't any cheaper.
Last edited by Retired_Can_Soldier; Sep 22nd, 2014 at 12:26 PM..

B00Mer
Yeah, I just use a Headset and let Sari (iPhone) do the rest.. Never text while driving.. that 3 seconds or more my be your last.

Cannuck
+1 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_Soldier View Post

Because it saves time

I text for work more than I use the phone or the radio. It can help to have things documented sometimes

Quote: Originally Posted by Twila View Post

It's usually available if they want to take it but it's not required

shadowshiv
+1
A few days ago I saw a person texting on their phone while riding a bicycle (at night). Not the brightest bulb I've seen.