Converting 3GP files to AVI

mt_pockets1000
Help!

I've stripped a 3GP file off a blackberry and converted it to an avi file for use on other media devices. However, I get an error message telling me I'm missing the proper codec to run the avi file. It might be the cheap (free) converter I downloaded.

Has anyone on CC ever come across this problem? I know there are some intelligent techies on this forum. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

petros
Download a codec pack.

DaSleeper
I use super C for all my convesions....it's a free program but to get to the download site takes a bit of doing.
SUPER &copy

This is the web site with a lot of advertising....when the page opens go near the bottom of the page you will find a link that says " Start downloading SuperC "....click on that.
Near the top of the page... in blue again a link named " Download and use "
Now at the bottom of the page that opens ....finally...." Download Super C setup "
I said to get there is complicate and the real super c has a circle around the c.
It converts just about everything to everything. and the program is also a player video and audio.

One more thing ...If you are running AVG ......the moment it finishes converting a file you will get a virus alarm... it's a problem with avg because if you're paranoid and run a scan avg can't find a thing....it's the conversion process that runs in your temp folder that AVG mistake as a malicious script...I have put that in avg exceptions....
This will give you something to play with for a while....I've been using it for several years and I like it.... they come out with updates every couple of months....

mt_pockets1000
Thanks for the input Sleeper. I tried Super C but I didn't go through the process you listed there. I'll try again this evening.

petros
If you have codec issues you'll ned a codec (compression/decompression) software pack.

mt_pockets1000
Petros, would the K-Lite package work? How do I know which codec I'm missing? I guess if you install a bundle you might hit on the correct one.

DurkaDurka
K-Lite should work, it's the jack of all trades when it comes to Codec Pack's

petros
Sorry was late...yeah I agree 100% with DurkaDurka K-Lite is great.

mt_pockets1000
Thanks again. I got the K-Lite codec pack installed but still getting the error when I transfer the converted file to my memory stick.

I'm gonna put this aside until the weekend when I have more time to work on it.

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by mt_pockets1000 View Post

Thanks again. I got the K-Lite codec pack installed but still getting the error when I transfer the converted file to my memory stick.

I'm gonna put this aside until the weekend when I have more time to work on it.

I always had trouble instaling new codecs on windows media player on XP and be able to use the video editor so to be able to use Movie Maker for video editing since XP movie maker couldn't or wouldn't read .VOB (DVD) files I had to find a converter so that movie maker coud read the files.

petros
WinAVI is about the best without going to pro versions and getting confused.

mt_pockets1000
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

WinAVI is about the best without going to pro versions and getting confused.

I just tried their trial version. Looks good except for the watermark. Do you know how much it costs to buy the registered version?

Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

I always had trouble instaling new codecs on windows media player on XP and be able to use the video editor so to be able to use Movie Maker for video editing since XP movie maker couldn't or wouldn't read .VOB (DVD) files I had to find a converter so that movie maker coud read the files.

DS, I'm using XP on my system at home and it's been a real task to get this working. Plus I'm dealing with a worm I picked up a few weeks ago that turned off my windows automatic updates. I just finished restoring it this evening. I'm about ready to toss this 10 year old computer and get something new. Any advice in the $500 - $600 range?

petros

I just tried their trial version. Looks good except for the watermark. Do you know how much it costs to buy the registered version?

It did what you needed it to do? It's a really slick piece of kit.

I'll see if I can find a reg number....

https://www.regnow.com/softsell/nph-..._utmk=11848628
Last edited by petros; Apr 14th, 2011 at 12:11 AM..

DaSleeper

DS, I'm using XP on my system at home and it's been a real task to get this working. Plus I'm dealing with a worm I picked up a few weeks ago that turned off my windows automatic updates. I just finished restoring it this evening. I'm about ready to toss this 10 year old computer and get something new. Any advice in the $500 - $600 range?

I like the Acer machines...I have two of them...don't know if they will last 10 years, you're due for an upgrade
If only new machnines didn't come with a whole bunch of prepackaged software that you don't need
Windows 7 is nice though.

petros
+1
#15  Top Rated Post
Build one yourself. It's not that hard and one helluva lot cheaper.

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Build one yourself. It's not that hard and one helluva lot cheaper.

I use a laptop....kinda hard to build from scratch.

petros
Best way to build a lap top is with a hammer.