Conservative Convention 2016: Accepting Reality

mentalfloss

Conservative convention to provide early signs of post-Harper policy shifts

Starting this morning, delegates to the Tory policy convention in Vancouver are debating proposals sparked by the party's membership across the country on everything from taxation to same-sex marriage to the amount of power the party's leader should have. Motions on gun ownership and marijuana are up for debate, too.

This week's sessions will point to where the party wants to go next, with the election of its next leader still a full year away, on May 27, 2017.

Meanwhile, a group of prominent Conservatives, including former Canadian Alliance leader Stockwell Day and Ontario Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown, are set to discuss developing new policy positions to mitigate climate change.

'The train has left the station'

"A lot of times we see these as wedge issues," Ontario MP and social development critic Karen Vecchio told CBC News ahead of the convention. But in the case of gay and lesbian equality rights, it's the law of the land now, she said.

"It is 2016. I don't want to be using Trudeau's words, but … we have evolved," she said. "It doesn't mean that we're morally ungrounded. But it's that we're accepting of people and their choices."

Conservative convention to provide early signs of post-Harper policy shifts - Politics - CBC News
Last edited by mentalfloss; May 27th, 2016 at 08:20 AM..

Walter
+1
Love the way lefties tell others what to do and how to feel. The Clingon is strong with Analfloss.

mentalfloss
I'm not surprised that you are delighted about telling others what to do.

mentalfloss
+1

Conservative Convention 2016: Tories To Pick A Stance On Same-Sex Marriage

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Conservative Convention 2016: Tories To Pick A Stance On Same-Sex Marriage

Love the way lefties tell others what to do and how to feel. The Clingon is strong with Analfloss.

Mowich
Conservative
I'll be paying attention to what comes out of the convention. I like what I am hearing so far.

mentalfloss
Welcome to the 21st century

Conservatives take steps to end official opposition to gay marriage - The Globe and Mail

pgs
Free Thinker
+1

Conservatives take steps to end official opposition to gay marriage - The Globe and Mail

Didn't Trudeau the senior tell us that government has no place in the bedrooms of the nation ?
Why must you still go there ?

FiveParadox
Liberal
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Didn't Trudeau the senior tell us that government has no place in the bedrooms of the nation ?

Perhaps because the official position of the Conservative Party is one which intrudes in the bedrooms of the nation. This potential for a shift to moderate their opposition to same-sex marriage is a sign that the Conservatives are perhaps preparing to step into a more realistic arena of forward-thinking social policy. This all assumes, though, that these early votes survive closing plenary.

petros
You make them sound like 18th century Protestants. Are the modern Catholic based Libs the answer to an open Society?

mentalfloss
+2 / -1
So this is a thing now.

pgs
Free Thinker
+3
#12  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by FiveParadox View Post

Perhaps because the official position of the Conservative Party is one which intrudes in the bedrooms of the nation. This potential for a shift to moderate their opposition to same-sex marriage is a sign that the Conservatives are perhaps preparing to step into a more realistic arena of forward-thinking social policy. This all assumes, though, that these early votes survive closing plenary.

Hmmn did we just not finish 8 years of majority conservative government ?
What changes did the conservatives make regarding same sex marriage laws ?

pgs
Free Thinker
+1

I see 5p can't square this circle .

Murphy
Conservative
+1
Politics is like the weather outside. When the wind blows, it moves the clouds. Sometimes it's sunny. Other times it is rainy. Politics, like the weather, is ever changing.

The Conservatives gave the people what they wanted 8 yrs ago. The Liberals scratched that itch a few months ago. People and politics continue to change.

The Liberal supporters will find themselves humbled several years from now. Just as the Conservatives found themselves last fall. Change is the nature of things. 5P and others who profess the Liberals are the best of breed are living in a bubble. The bubble will burst and someone else will have a turn.

Do I have to say for a third time that nothing is constant except change?

personal touch
Bloc Québécois

Don't waste your words,
Narcissists don't care about modern times,or even hearing the public,they only care about holding onto power.

Retired_Can_Soldier
Quote: Originally Posted by FiveParadox View Post

Harper had a free vote in the House of Commons and that was the end of it.

Democracy is a good thing.

There are homophobic people in the Liberal Party as well, there are Liberals who are devout Catholic and opposed to SSM. I don't see anyone in the gay community labeling Liberals with the same broad brush, nor do I see anyone in the gay community calling out Liberal MP's who are opposed to SSM.

darkbeaver
Republican
Democrasy is the harbour of the unwashed masses. Certainley you cannot relegate power rto the bottom of the strata, that would make you stupid. I am not prepared to place my future in the hands of the accending generation, iof I could see this accending generation I would rest easier but I don;t see the progression of generations, maybe I'm not supposed rto.

Where the fuk is the next generation, I'm tired of waiting for you to take over. I don't intend to spend the rest of my life flushing your toilets.

JLM
No Party Affiliation

I thought it was 4 years, my memory is good but it's short!

tay
Rona Ambrose takes swipe at Justin Trudeau alludes to him as female prime minister

Interim Conservative Party leader Rona Ambrose takes a shot at Justin Trudeau when talking about Canada’s first female prime minister Kim Campbell, “you would have thought Justin Trudeau was this,” she said.

Rona Ambrose takes swipe at Justin Trudeau alludes to him as female prime minister | Watch News Videos Online

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
I see, so a girl calling him a girl is unacceptable.

Corduroy
Conservatives are accepting political reality. Just as they had while they were in government. It would have hurt them politically to go after same-sex marriage, so they left it alone. What do they really think about same-sex marriage? It's say it's hard to tell for some. I get the impression that someone like Michelle Rempel actually changed her mind, whereas others never really cared and are just taking the side they think will give them the least trouble. Those that continue to oppose it are true believers.

I don't think he was referring exclusively to bedrooms.

Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_Soldier View Post

Do you think she meant it as a compliment?

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Corduroy View Post

Conservatives are accepting political reality.?

Good to see you are still with us, Corduroy, I was beginning to worry about you. Welcome back to the asylum (as Cliffy would say).

coldstream
This corresponds totally with the real identity of the Conservative Party.. under Harper and before .

It really had nothing to do with Conservativism.. it had to do with radical economic liberalism.. Free Markets, small government, regressive taxation, deregulation, privatization. This is pure neoconservatism. Real conservatism rejects all of those in favour of dirigiste, nationalist, progressive and equitable economic policies.

And it had to with social libertarianism.. moral relativism and radical individualism. Harper and company made a shallow pretense of supporting traditional values and institutions of faith and family. He cared nothing about either.. it was simply a device to tie up a voter demographic in support of his masters in the global trading and financial cartels.

We haven't had Conservative Party in Canada for a long time. This just shelves the hypocrisy of Liberal Lite Party as they should become known.

But there are compensating forces in politics. You see that in the States where Trump trashed the NeoConservatives who had hijacked the Party under a clique of neocon pseudo intellectuals. It'll bust apart for the neocons of Canada as well.. it'll just take a bit longer.

Or it will foment the establishment of a real Conservative Party in Canada under some other name.. to represent a large segment of the population which is no longer has a political voice.
Last edited by coldstream; May 30th, 2016 at 01:45 PM..

Corduroy
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Good to see you are still with us, Corduroy, I was beginning to worry about you. Welcome back to the asylum (as Cliffy would say).

My day passes expired. Do we still get mac and cheese on Mondays?

JLM
No Party Affiliation

Yeah, I think that was one thing Papa Trudeau got right. I can accept there are folks from the old school, who adhere to the original meaning of marriage, but by the same token I'm all for pairing up people who are alike and if a f**king piece of paper makes them happy, why should I give a sh*t? We got waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay bigger fish to fry! These people aren't a threat to the longevity of the planet!

My day passes expired. Do we still get mac and cheese on Mondays?

Nah, it's head cheese samiches now!

Corduroy
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Nah, it's head cheese samiches now!

Ugh.. this is Trudeau's doing isn't it?

JLM
No Party Affiliation

Ugh.. this is Trudeau's doing isn't it?

Yep, it's one request, the A$$hole has granted me!

mentalfloss
Fun, Fashion and Fiscal Responsibility.

LET THE PARTY BEGIN!

The new Conservatives: fun, fashion and fiscal responsibility - The Globe and Mail

tay
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_Soldier View Post

Apparently if the CONS ever want to get into power again then yes, it is unacceptable. I suppose if he said she (well okay, Lisa Rait) was manly that may not go over well.

But it all plays into her past statements after becoming the temporary leader she stated that the 'New Cons' would be nicer and deal with actual facts and not dribble off into the personal attacks that helped them lose the election but maybe someday they will figure that out....

Rona Ambrose's office says may have misspoken — or at least was misinterpreted — when she suggested in her speech Friday at the Conservative convention that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is a woman.

Ambrose’s swipe was part of a long pattern of attack on Trudeau’s masculinity.

Quibbling over quip

But not all CONs are thinking the same way......

Michelle Rempel rolled her eyes and paused, choosing her words carefully.

Standing in the lobby outside the House of Commons, the Conservative MP for Calgary Centre had just been informed that she had been voted Sexiest Female MP in an Ottawa newspaper’s annual poll.

“I get the opportunity to speak to a lot of women’s groups about encouraging women to run for office, and about women’s leadership issues and the number one thing I always say is women should be judged and evaluated by their merit.”

If only her boss would heed her message.

Her Conservative Party’s negative ad campaign against Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau may, as some have claimed, be successfully rallying the Tory base, and thus helping the party fill its coffers. But it’s also alienating a section of the electorate vital to Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s chances of winning another majority government: female voters.

Trudeau’s poll numbers are overwhelmingly positive among women. A recent Harris/Decima poll found that 61% of Canadian women view Trudeau favorably, whereas Harper is viewed favorably by only 37% of women.

more at.....

Harper’s Gendered Attack on Justin Trudeau | Gender Focus

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by tay View Post

Apparently if the CONS ever want to get into power again then yes, it is unacceptable. I suppose if he said she (well okay, Lisa Rait) was manly that may not go over well.

But it all plays into her past statements after becoming the temporary leader she stated that the 'New Cons' would be nicer and deal with actual facts and not dribble off into the personal attacks that helped them lose the election but maybe someday they will figure that out....

Rona Ambrose's office says may have misspoken — or at least was misinterpreted — when she suggested in her speech Friday at the Conservative convention that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is a woman.

Ambrose’s swipe was part of a long pattern of attack on Trudeau’s masculinity.

Quibbling over quip

But not all CONs are thinking the same way......

Michelle Rempel rolled her eyes and paused, choosing her words carefully.

Standing in the lobby outside the House of Commons, the Conservative MP for Calgary Centre had just been informed that she had been voted Sexiest Female MP in an Ottawa newspaper’s annual poll.

“I get the opportunity to speak to a lot of women’s groups about encouraging women to run for office, and about women’s leadership issues and the number one thing I always say is women should be judged and evaluated by their merit.”

If only her boss would heed her message.

Her Conservative Party’s negative ad campaign against Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau may, as some have claimed, be successfully rallying the Tory base, and thus helping the party fill its coffers. But it’s also alienating a section of the electorate vital to Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s chances of winning another majority government: female voters.

Trudeau’s poll numbers are overwhelmingly positive among women. A recent Harris/Decima poll found that 61% of Canadian women view Trudeau favorably, whereas Harper is viewed favorably by only 37% of women.

more at.....

Harper’s Gendered Attack on Justin Trudeau | Gender Focus

Always love it when the Libs tell the Cons how to win elections.