What Do You Love About Canada? (And What Don't You Love?)

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by NZDoug View Post

They stopped making Bacardi 151 proof rum.
Appletons Rocket Fuel is pretty good.

The test of a good rum is if it burns for a long time with a nice, blue flame.

NZDoug
+4
#122  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

My test is no blood, no arrests, or ripped clothes

Danbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

I'll bet you do that all the time with your secret 80 proof pocket bonuses from your sherry trips to the LCBO. I wonder: Will that heat the spoon, and get the crack pipe lit though?

Oh well, just think of the money and time you save skipping the cash register lines.

DaSleeper
+2
The definitive test on the moonshine we used to make was being able to use it in the old zippo lighter!

Danbones
LOL, you know there is a table top electric model "Air still" for a couple hundred bucks?

about as complicated to use as a bread maker too...and a lot more fun.

petros
+1
This is what I have.

C$ 179.16 | Wine Brewing Device Alcohol Distiller Water Distiller Alcohol Stainless Distiller Home Wine Making Boiler Home
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/kzLL1EXI

DaSleeper
+1
What my brother and I used was all home-made....
Boiler was a dairy can, cooling coil was flexible copper tubing in another 10 gallon can with slowly running cold water...
All joints, screw type fittings.....no solder....
Propane burner under the dairy can and a thermometer in the lid to control the temperature of the boil, and tell us when all the alcohol was boiled out...
Now I don't remember what the temp limits were ...... it was so long ago....quite a few degrees below the boiling point of water...

As for a table top....Try Amazon.com.....They have a few models

DaSleeper

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by dasleeper View Post

what my brother and i used was all home-made....
Boiler was a dairy can, cooling coil was flexible copper tubing in another 10 gallon can with slowly running cold water...
All joints, screw type fittings.....no solder....
Propane burner under the dairy can and a thermometer in the lid to control the temperature of the boil, and tell us when all the alcohol was boiled out...
Now i don't remember what the temp limits were ...... It was so long ago....quite a few degrees below the boiling point of water...
As for a table top....try amazon.com.....they have a few models

172f

DaSleeper
+1
https://www.amazon.com/Still-Spirits.../dp/B00BWUJKHG

petros
Too small.

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

172f

that's the boiling point of alcohol but you have to remember that the the sour mash is many parts water
30 gallons of sour mash only gives you about 3 gallons of moonshine strong enough to light your zippo!

petros
I get 15%-17% ABV on the mash. 60% ABV will do a lighter. Anything over 60% is gross.

Blackleaf
That old, smelly, bearded Canadian hillbilly is here in Syd's takeaway, sitting right next to me eating a burger or something talking to a 20-year-old guy about pagers and baseball. Is he stalking me? It's not anyone from this forum, is it?

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

That old, smelly, bearded Canadian hillbilly is here in Syd's takeaway, sitting right next to me eating a burger or something talking to a 20-year-old guy about pagers and baseball. Is he stalking me? It's not anyone from this forum, is it?

"Old, bearded, smelly Canadian hillbilly" is good. You should be equally classy by showing him some deference!

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

"Old, bearded, smelly Canadian hillbilly" is good. You should be equally classy by showing him some deference!

Nah. I'm just hoping the smell of lamb biryani triumphs over the smell of a rotting carcass.

Jinentonix
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

Nah. I'm just hoping the smell of lamb biryani triumphs over the smell of a rotting carcass.

Try brushing your teeth. That rotting carcass smell is probably just your breath blowing back in your face.

taxslave
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

He must be talking about Courious George . Went back to the motherland to find some talking points for trashing western independence.

NZDoug
One thing I really miss about Canada is you can't get get Holbros horseradish here in NZ.
Only sweet gherkins, like in relishes and pickles.
Also no garlicky Kosher dills.
Shocking !
Bums me out.
Got a buddy from Toronto flying in at the end of the month who brings me these necessities.
Praise your God!