Storage War-ish photography finds


Locutus
+3
#1  Top Rated Post
In 2007, the discovery of an unknown street photographer by the name of Vivian Maier (1926-2009) rocked the world of art photography. While infirm and near death, the former nanny/photographer was unable to make the payments on a storage locker, and the contents sold at auction.

Consequently, there were three key people who ended up with the lionís share of the work ó all of whom recognized the quality of the work right away. Most talked about are John Maloof and Jeffrey Goldstein, but the third and less recognized is Chicago collector Ron Slattery. It was Ron who first brought attention of Miss Maier to the public eye with this July 2008 post on his website, Big Happy Funhouse. The images here are all from the Ron Slattery Collection, who owns thousands of vintage prints and negatives.

The Chicago gallery Corbett vs. Dempsey recently ended an exhibition of vintage Vivian Maier prints from the Slattery Collection, most of which are shown for you today on Accidental Mysteries. Maierís work is highly sought after by private collectors and major museums.

Accidental Mysteries, 08.05.12: Vivian Maier: Observatory: Design Observer





Lots more:



bighappyfunhouse ē found photos. free pie.

Corbett vs. Dempsey
 
shadowshiv
+3
#2
While I will admit I like watching the various "Storage" shows on television, this is the side of it that gives me pause. Why did the person stop paying? Were they laid up in a hospital, were they deceased, missing? Some of the items would be of a personal nature, and since they wouldn't be worth any money, they would more than likely be tossed in the trash(photo albums, homemade items made by kids, etc.). Just something that makes me think, that's all.
 
SLM
+1
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshiv View Post

While I will admit I like watching the various "Storage" shows on television, this is the side of it that gives me pause. Why did the person stop paying? Were they laid up in a hospital, were they deceased, missing? Some of the items would be of a personal nature, and since they wouldn't be worth any money, they would more than likely be tossed in the trash(photo albums, homemade items made by kids, etc.). Just something that makes me think, that's all.

I think you were a pirate in another life, you love the thrill of finding buried treasure.

It is kind of sad to think of personal items forgotten like that though. There maybe some kids or grandkids somewhere wondering 'whatever happened to...'
 
shadowshiv
+1
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

I think you were a pirate in another life, you love the thrill of finding buried treasure.

It is kind of sad to think of personal items forgotten like that though. There maybe some kids or grandkids somewhere wondering 'whatever happened to...'

I do enjoy searching for treasure, whether it is at a thrift shop or on the beach.

And you're right. Heck, family members could even see something being pawed through that used to belong to their relative(such as a one-of-a-kind blanket that they knew was created by their grandmother). I imagine it would be quite disconcerting to see such an item tossed into the "trash" pile while they are searching for goodies to sell.

Again, I will admit that I enjoy watching the shows, it's just that there is a side to it that is a little sad.
 
SLM
+1
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshiv View Post

I do enjoy searching for treasure, whether it is at a thrift shop or on the beach.

I know you do.

Quote:

And you're right. Heck, family members could even see something being pawed through that used to belong to their relative(such as a one-of-a-kind blanket that they knew was created by their grandmother). I imagine it would be quite disconcerting to see such an item tossed into the "trash" pile while they are searching for goodies to sell.

Again, I will admit that I enjoy watching the shows, it's just that there is a side to it that is a little sad.

I don't tend to watch them, although I have seen them, as they don't really spend the time looking at or through the things that don't have financial value to them. That's what would appeal to me personally; it's what the items would say about the people who had them.

But I can the see appeal, the curiosity to know what was in there, how that would be appealing.
 
shadowshiv
+1
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

I know you do.



I don't tend to watch them, although I have seen them, as they don't really spend the time looking at or through the things that don't have financial value to them. That's what would appeal to me personally; it's what the items would say about the people who had them.

But I can the see appeal, the curiosity to know what was in there, how that would be appealing.

Well, there are different types in that genre of show. There are the "American/Canadian Pickers" types, the "auction hunters" types, the ones like Antique Roadshow. There are a lot of shows out there, that focus on the exploration as much as the selling.
 
SLM
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshiv View Post

Well, there are different types in that genre of show. There are the "American/Canadian Pickers" types, the "auction hunters" types, the ones like Antique Roadshow. There are a lot of shows out there, that focus on the exploration as much as the selling.

That's true, I guess I was thinking about "Storage Wars" mostly.
 
Locutus
+1
#8
Gotta love Barry!
 
SLM
+1
#9
Manilow???? LOL. Ya gotta be more specific.
 
shadowshiv
+1
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

Manilow???? LOL. Ya gotta be more specific.

Barry's the white-haired fellow that is a little "eccentric", and he stars in Storage Wars. A lot of times he will keep items even if they are worth money just because they are strange/unique. He's quite funny, actually, and has a lot of oddball friends.
 
SLM
+1
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshiv View Post

Barry's the white-haired fellow that is a little "eccentric", and he stars in Storage Wars. A lot of times he will keep items even if they are worth money just because they are strange/unique. He's quite funny, actually, and has a lot of oddball friends.


Ok thanks.lol

Eccentric I like. I've never seen enough of this show to get to know anyone's name.

I'm still spending my time on NatGeo wild and ID Discovery. Speaking of, guess what show I just happened to PVR yesterday afternoon?
 
shadowshiv
+1
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

Ok thanks.lol

Eccentric I like. I've never seen enough of this show to get to know anyone's name.

I'm still spending my time on NatGeo wild and ID Discovery. Speaking of, guess what show I just happened to PVR yesterday afternoon?

Almost Got Away?
 
SLM
+1
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshiv View Post

Almost Got Away?

Yes, it was an amazing coincidence, lol.
 
Locutus
+2
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshiv View Post

Barry's the white-haired fellow that is a little "eccentric", and he stars in Storage Wars. A lot of times he will keep items even if they are worth money just because they are strange/unique. He's quite funny, actually, and has a lot of oddball friends.


Yeah, he's a very rich dude and does it for the fun. Ever seen his collection of veehickiles?
 
shadowshiv
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

Yeah, he's a very rich dude and does it for the fun. Ever seen his collection of veehickiles?

Just the ones he drives onto the lot. I didn't know that he was rich, especially considering how many times he picks the "dud" lockers.

I think it would be awesome to have dinner with him, as he is quite entertaining and I am certain that he would have many interesting stories to tell.
 
petros
#16
I've almost finished writing Storage Wars, the Musical.
 
Locutus
+1
#17
Barry Weiss - "The Collector". Weiss and his brother owned a produce company until he retired and is only looking for a few collectable items to keep. He sells or donates everything else. While Weiss is a lifelong antique collector, he had no involvement in buying storage units until his friend and Storage Wars executive producer/narrator Thom Beers suggested he join the show.[9] Barry is the best financed of the group and by his own admission is the only one not in it for financial profit. He is known for the unusual antics he brings to the auctions, such as bringing in psychics to help him figure out a locker's contents, odd disguises and outfits he'll sometimes wear, attaching a camera to a remote control airplane to look into a locker, and most recently bringing in a pair of (fake) German businessmen to distract the other buyers. He will not sell any fur articles in a unit he purchases, instead donating them to charity or giving them to another buyer, such as in an early episode when he gave a couple of fur coats to Dave Hester, who then sold them at his retail store.

Storage Wars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia



Buddy's house

PHOTOS Barry Weiss' house in Los Angeles

Barry Weiss Net Worth | Celebrity Net Worth

His cars:

Barry Weiss Car Collection

Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

I've almost finished writing Storage Wars, the Musical.


Hurry up and you can close the Olympics with it.
 
petros
+1
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

Barry Weiss - "The Collector". Weiss and his brother owned a produce company until he retired

Produce? Is that what they are calling Mexican weed these days?
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

Hurry up and you can close the Olympics with it.

I was aiming for the US inaugeration in January.
 
SLM
+1
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Produce? Is that what they are calling Mexican weed these days?I was aiming for the US inaugeration in January.

And, if you play your cards right, you can parlay a little White House gig to the big time. Broadway.
 
TenPenny
+1
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

Gotta love Barry!

I used to think he was amusing, now I find he's annoying - he seems to deliberately break anything that doesn't grab his immediate interest.

I must admit, I love the cars he has. I loved that bus/camper thing he showed up in.

But I mostly like staring at Brandi's parts.
 
Locutus
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

I used to think he was amusing, now I find he's annoying - he seems to deliberately break anything that doesn't grab his immediate interest.

I must admit, I love the cars he has. I loved that bus/camper thing he showed up in.

But I mostly like staring at Brandi's parts.


I'm sure the producers egg these yahoos on to 'perform' for the camera. Barry among them. Also, he (as most do) has a crew of 'guys' we never often see to come clean up the mess and garbage he doesn't take. TV...reality TV.
 
TenPenny
#22
Did you know that Barry Weiss is godfather to Jesse James (motorcycle guy, ex-Mr Bullock)?
 
petros
#23
There is nothing "reality" in a Thom Beers show.
 
SLM
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

TV...reality TV.

Redefining reality.
 
TenPenny
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

There is nothing "reality" in a Thom Beers show.

Nothing real in just about anything on tv, it's just entertainment.

Remember a few years ago, when the Hollywood writers went on strike? It shut down reality shows, too. How can you need writers for a reality show? Because it's not 'reality', it's 'non-professional actors'.
 
petros
#26
I wish it were entertaining.
 
TenPenny
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

I wish it were entertaining.

It's almost as entertaining as reading people pretend to be experts on the internet.
 
Locutus
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

Did you know that Barry Weiss is godfather to Jesse James (motorcycle guy, ex-Mr Bullock)?


Yeah, seem to remember him not getting all pissy about Jesse regarding some lame 'nazi' Halloween outfit or some such newsworthy story.
 
shadowshiv
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

Barry Weiss - "The Collector". Weiss and his brother owned a produce company until he retired and is only looking for a few collectable items to keep. He sells or donates everything else. While Weiss is a lifelong antique collector, he had no involvement in buying storage units until his friend and Storage Wars executive producer/narrator Thom Beers suggested he join the show.[9] Barry is the best financed of the group and by his own admission is the only one not in it for financial profit. He is known for the unusual antics he brings to the auctions, such as bringing in psychics to help him figure out a locker's contents, odd disguises and outfits he'll sometimes wear, attaching a camera to a remote control airplane to look into a locker, and most recently bringing in a pair of (fake) German businessmen to distract the other buyers. He will not sell any fur articles in a unit he purchases, instead donating them to charity or giving them to another buyer, such as in an early episode when he gave a couple of fur coats to Dave Hester, who then sold them at his retail store.

Storage Wars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia



Buddy's house

PHOTOS Barry Weiss' house in Los Angeles

Barry Weiss Net Worth | Celebrity Net Worth

His cars:

Barry Weiss Car Collection




Hurry up and you can close the Olympics with it.

Thanks for the information about him, Locutus.

Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

I used to think he was amusing, now I find he's annoying - he seems to deliberately break anything that doesn't grab his immediate interest.

I must admit, I love the cars he has. I loved that bus/camper thing he showed up in.

But I mostly like staring at Brandi's parts.

While Barry is still my favourite "character" on Storage Wars, I agree with you about how he seems to break things that he doesn't value, while looking for something unique. I believe it was Jarod that said it on the show, about how all the others are in the business as part of their livelihood, and that he breaks things that the others could actually sell. It's not like this is a guaranteed source of income either, as it looks like Dave Hestor has already had to downsize severely. He used to have a warehouse-sized store, but had to sell it as he could no longer afford it(the crappy economy probably didn't help). I'm not saying I am shedding a tear for Dave or the others, it's just that Barry destroys things that don't need to be destroyed. If he doesn't want the items, then just give them to charity or the others(even if it's just at a discount or something).

Destroying something just for the sake of destroying it is stupid, especially if it is something that someone could still use.
 
TenPenny
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshiv View Post

Destroying something just for the sake of destroying it is stupid, especially if it is something that someone could still use.

That's something that really annoys me about all the renovation shows - they seem to deliberately destroy stuff, smashing cabinets, etc etc. When I was younger, we lived in a small town, and when you renovated, if you didn't have a use for something like windows, cabinets, doors, etc, even toilets, you put them out at the end of the driveway with a 'free' sign on it.

When my mother in law got a new kitchen, we took all of her cabinets; I used some in my basement, and the others went to my parents' cottage, where they still are, and work perfectly. My neighbor put his old toilet out, and it was gone within 3 hours.
 

Similar Threads

1
CCS: Carbon Capture and Storage
by cyberclark | Jan 21st, 2011
53
DSLR photography
by DurkaDurka | Jun 20th, 2010
5
Carbon Capture & Storage.
by Ron in Regina | Apr 1st, 2009
4
Online Storage
by lysyfacet | May 24th, 2007
25
Photography
by gd | Jun 11th, 2006