Single Parents – How society condemns the women for having a child vice an abortion.

Goober
Free Thinker
Single Parents – How society condemns the women for having a child vice an abortion.

Abortion – Regardless of your opinion – Pro life – Pro choice – Not relevant to this discussion and opinions on Pro Life – Pro Choice are not requested, not required and hopefully will not be posted or replied to. But they as always will enter the debate about something that is not relevant as this is not about Abortion- I personally find abortion for the most part revolting – except in certain case like rape, incest etc – But it is the women’s right to choose and I have no argument with that.

Lets us keep this discussion on a single focus. Can you do that? Can you avoid that topic? I doubt it and when it occurs I will as always reply.

What can society do for women that choose to have a child instead of that most difficult and emotional wrenching decision of an abortion? Presently many pro-lifer / pro-choice are quite sanctimonious in their opinions. Yet their support disappears after the baby is born and if taxes could be raised. They are for the most part a bunch of pious, sanctimonious and hypocritical Assholes in my opinion.

Talk is cheap and far to many just talk about solutions or complain but then when it comes time to pony up or the rubber meets the road, well they do not want to ride or pay the freight – It is called investing in your future because these people are going to be paying your pension, caring for you in the hospital and the list goes on

After the baby is born – it is society’s attitude of – “Well they are on their own”

We as a society penalize many single mothers in a variety of ways, economically, socially, employment and progression within the workplace to name a few. She is looked down upon by many for having a child out of wedlock – These people are really out of touch with reality.

She will in many cases remain as a low income single parent; not finishing high school or starting post secondary education, difficulties are then placed in her way to improve life for her child and family. And this leads to many problems in the future for Society as a whole.

Low income increases the chances of to name a few:
Poor health
Less to no chance for educational advancement
Crime

Children of parents that have not completed post secondary education are less likely than children of parents that have finished post secondary to continue with their education. So we are condemning another generation to low income and education levels and the problems that come with that. A permanent economic underclass that perpetuates itself.

These are just to name a few. The studies and stats are there – So why do we as a country do little to address and correct this situation.

Many also look upon the women as having solely made the mistake of getting pregnant, why did she not use a contraceptive, conveniently forgetting it takes 2 to tango.

With the economy now is in recession but stats for the future show that we as a country will when the economy turns Canada will have the same shortage of skilled workers that occurred during the last economic expansion. It is time to expand positions for training and educational upgrades in these areas that we are running a deficit in.

Women entering the work force are faced with massive child care expenses – A National day care is one answer –

Question – What can society - Govt - do?

PS – In the massive spending of 10’s of billions how much went to education?

lone wolf
Free Thinker
What can society/gov't do? First off (and biggest) ... don't judge.

Tyr
Free Thinker
But it is the women’s right to choose and I have no argument with that.

That is my one argument. Conception takes (usually) two people and the father has absolutely "ZERO" say in the matter.

To me there must be some sort of accomodation for his rights to raise the child

I know that will never change, but hey it's just an opinion

JLM
No Party Affiliation
You're bang on there, but hey, it's not the way to win friends and influence people.........LOL

Tyr
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

You're bang on there, but hey, it's not the way to win friends and influence people.........LOL

Read the book. Dale Carnegie is grossly overrated

VanIsle
Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

Abortion – Regardless of your opinion – Pro life – Pro choice – Not relevant to this discussion and opinions on Pro Life – Pro Choice are not requested, not required and hopefully will not be posted or replied to. But they as always will enter the debate about something that is not relevant as this is not about Abortion- I personally find abortion for the most part revolting – except in certain case like rape, incest etc – But it is the women’s right to choose and I have no argument with that.

Lets us keep this discussion on a single focus. Can you do that? Can you avoid that topic? I doubt it and when it occurs I will as always reply.

What can society do for women that choose to have a child instead of that most difficult and emotional wrenching decision of an abortion? Presently many pro-lifer / pro-choice are quite sanctimonious in their opinions. Yet their support disappears after the baby is born and if taxes could be raised. They are for the most part a bunch of pious, sanctimonious and hypocritical Assholes in my opinion.

Talk is cheap and far to many just talk about solutions or complain but then when it comes time to pony up or the rubber meets the road, well they do not want to ride or pay the freight – It is called investing in your future because these people are going to be paying your pension, caring for you in the hospital and the list goes on

After the baby is born – it is society’s attitude of – “Well they are on their own”

We as a society penalize many single mothers in a variety of ways, economically, socially, employment and progression within the workplace to name a few. She is looked down upon by many for having a child out of wedlock – These people are really out of touch with reality.

She will in many cases remain as a low income single parent; not finishing high school or starting post secondary education, difficulties are then placed in her way to improve life for her child and family. And this leads to many problems in the future for Society as a whole.

Low income increases the chances of to name a few:
Poor health
Less to no chance for educational advancement
Crime

Children of parents that have not completed post secondary education are less likely than children of parents that have finished post secondary to continue with their education. So we are condemning another generation to low income and education levels and the problems that come with that. A permanent economic underclass that perpetuates itself.

These are just to name a few. The studies and stats are there – So why do we as a country do little to address and correct this situation.

Many also look upon the women as having solely made the mistake of getting pregnant, why did she not use a contraceptive, conveniently forgetting it takes 2 to tango.

With the economy now is in recession but stats for the future show that we as a country will when the economy turns Canada will have the same shortage of skilled workers that occurred during the last economic expansion. It is time to expand positions for training and educational upgrades in these areas that we are running a deficit in.

Women entering the work force are faced with massive child care expenses – A National day care is one answer –

Question – What can society - Govt - do?

PS – In the massive spending of 10’s of billions how much went to education?

You ask a difficult question and you add conditions to your post.The conditons won't work. We both tried that on canada.com
I think that in as much as we all feel compassion for a single Mother, single Moms are not the only low income people out there. In many cases (sorry if you disagree) the single Mom got pregnant because she let emotion come before thought. We cannot condemn her forever for that but, why do you expect us - the citizens to pay for her mistake? Aside from the horrors of such things as rape, it was a concious decision the woman made. Kind of like the woman who recently had something like a dozen or so children in total and she is single and I believe she has no way of raising these children on her own. I could be wrong. I did not follow the news closely. I just have never understood the mentality that says the citizens are responsible for the child a woman chooses to give birth to. Others on here already know this but I'll repeat it anyway. A member of my family had two children out of wedlock. She is still a single Mom. Her kids are now about 12 and 10. There are absentee fathers (yes fathers) who for the most part never have any money to hand over for their kids. She was on welfare and going no where. Then one day governement cut her off welfare and told her to find a job. She went back to school, she has a good job, she has always been a good Mom. What the gov't did for her was force her into a career and it's the best thing that ever happened to her. For the first time in her life she has pride in herself. She has money in her pocket. Life is better. Had she been allowed to continue the way she was, life would be the same.
She would be a welfare bum.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
I don't suppose cold feet or death enter the picture here?

VanIsle
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

I don't suppose cold feet or death enter the picture here?

And this means?

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Tyr View Post

Read the book. Dale Carnegie is grossly overrated

I read the book 45 years ago, thought it was quite good at the time, years later I read another of his books on how to quit worrying- it was very good. He had great insight about the way things happen in life. Better quit before I get berated for veering off topic.............

TenPenny
If you choose to procreate, you should have the means to support yourself and your brood. If you happen to fall on hard times for one reason or another, we have a social safety net to assist.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by Islandpacific View Post

And this means?

"...it was a conscious decision this person made...."

There are many single Moms out there who didn't plan on being single. I'm not at all sure if you are offering empathy or judgement. Maybe it's just in the tone of your post - but the self-righteous picking on the less than fortunate seems to be a fashion statement among some in here. I do sincerely hope you're not one of them.