Settlement for residential school survivors sought from federal government

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by personal touch View Post

what year?

what does it matter?

davesmom
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

Do you KNOW how the residential schools came about? Do you KNOW what their purpose was? Do you KNOW who ran them and who funded them? Do you KNOW anything more than the odd snippet you have picked up here and there?

And you are asking this because?
I do KNOW that paying out money to compensate for past wrongs like these do not undo the wrongs. Mistreatments in residential schools haven't caused the victims to live in poverty and need.

gerryh
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by davesmom View Post

And you are asking this because?
I do KNOW that paying out money to compensate for past wrongs like these do not undo the wrongs. Mistreatments in residential schools haven't caused the victims to live in poverty and need.

So, in other words, no. You don't really know anything about the residential school system. Who was responsible for what and what it's main goal was. Yet here you are, commenting on who is and isn't responsible.

Angstrom
I hope Trudeau gives each one one million. Then each time a stupid Eliot screams and whines about natives we cAn all say shut the hell up. You got your million you little bitcch

damngrumpy
Oh individual cases do matter. When you scrape the truth off your shoes you
will find the actions by governments, churches and vested interests were in
fact as guilty as any South African government practicing cultural genocide.
What was done to those who were already here is a bloody disgrace.
Some say we brought modern ways, well bully for us, the people here did not
need our ways they had their ways. We our great grandfathers and great
grandmothers stole the land and butchered the future of it for their own ends.
Then they start with the line that makes me laugh "Why can't they just forget
and move on" Are they kidding that is like having someone steal you car on the
desert and they drive back and forth everyday to Tim Horton's while you look for
water. I think it is time for restitution for individuals and or their families for the
injustice and the theft that has taken place.
I do not understand why some would even try to justify the level of injustice done
it is not a matter of guessing it is a matter of human decency

Angstrom
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpy View Post

Oh individual cases do matter. When you scrape the truth off your shoes you
will find the actions by governments, churches and vested interests were in
fact as guilty as any South African government practicing cultural genocide.
What was done to those who were already here is a bloody disgrace.
Some say we brought modern ways, well bully for us, the people here did not
need our ways they had their ways. We our great grandfathers and great
grandmothers stole the land and butchered the future of it for their own ends.
Then they start with the line that makes me laugh "Why can't they just forget
and move on" Are they kidding that is like having someone steal you car on the
desert and they drive back and forth everyday to Tim Horton's while you look for
water. I think it is time for restitution for individuals and or their families for the
injustice and the theft that has taken place.
I do not understand why some would even try to justify the level of injustice done
it is not a matter of guessing it is a matter of human decency

But first I'd like you to give your car back to the natives you dirty theif. I can't believe you stole that from a poor native, you disgrace for a human. And give your house back too. If you feel so strongly about it why haven't you giving all that you possess back to the natives you bloody hypocrite ?

lone wolf
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstream View Post

Most residents of Residential Schools were placed for two semesters, spring and fall, with a week home during and long breaks in between.

Probably amounted to 6 months or so of organized education, good diet, community.. and likely some evangelization as well. The rest of time they spent at home. Most teachers and administrators were dedicated, caring and competent at the tasks. The kids often found refuge from households where alcoholism and brutality predominated.. and their lives consisted of nomadic trapping and illiteracy and domestic violence.

It has now become the 'accepted truth' that these insitutions were filled with sexual predators, systemic abuse, cultural denigration... especially when it became obvious that some money could be got by validating this fable. The cardinal crime here, of course, was that of evangelization and conversion... as the concept of the 'noble savage' now holds primacy in our culture.. over degenerate white Christian civilization.. fostering 'white man's guilt'.

And no one accepts that guilt more personally than our incompetent little twit of a Prime Minister, Justin.

If residents were so safe, explain graveyards of kids whose spirits most likely would have wanted their bodies buried at home ...
‘This is somebody’s young kid’: The unmarked graves of Brandon’s residential school | National Post

davesmom

So, in other words, no. You don't really know anything about the residential school system. Who was responsible for what and what it's main goal was. Yet here you are, commenting on who is and isn't responsible.

LOL! Thank you for explaining to me what I said. ROTFL!
When I mean "no", I will SAY "no"!
Idiot!

taxslave
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Lazy bastard.

In case you're wondering, here's the lawyer that's pushing this. . .

His Indun name is Looksahelluvalotlikeawhitietome.

What's his cut?

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

If residents were so safe, explain graveyards of kids whose spirits most likely would have wanted their bodies buried at home ...
This is somebody’s young kid: The unmarked graves of Brandon’s residential school | National Post

Probably had something to do with the facts that the bodies would show signs that they were brutally murdered. A Gitmo for kids if you would need a comparison.

gerryh
+1

LOL! Thank you for explaining to me what I said. ROTFL!
When I mean "no", I will SAY "no"!
Idiot!

No, the idiot would be you. Especially when you can't even acknowledge your own ignorance.

The residential schools were set up by the government. They were overseen by the government. The Government tried to use them to "assimilate" First Nations to get rid of their "injun" problem. So, yes, the government is partly responsible for what happened in those schools. Therefore, we the people/taxpayers are also responsible for what happened in those schools.

It is common judicial practice to compensate a person, or people, monetarily for wrongs perpetrated on another's person. So, even though money may not right as wrong, or repair the damage, our society and courts have decided that bit is the closest thing we have to make that repair or right that wrong.

here's a link to get you started on your "education", that is if you are interested.

A history of residential schools in Canada - Canada - CBC News

Up to 6,000 children died at Canada’s residential schools, report finds | Globalnews.ca

davesmom

No, the idiot would be you. Especially when you can't even acknowledge your own ignorance.

The residential schools were set up by the government. They were overseen by the government. The Government tried to use them to "assimilate" First Nations to get rid of their "injun" problem. So, yes, the government is partly responsible for what happened in those schools. Therefore, we the people/taxpayers are also responsible for what happened in those schools.

It is common judicial practice to compensate a person, or people, monetarily for wrongs perpetrated on another's person. So, even though money may not right as wrong, or repair the damage, our society and courts have decided that bit is the closest thing we have to make that repair or right that wrong.

here's a link to get you started on your "education", that is if you are interested.

Up to 6,000 children died at Canadas residential schools, report finds | Globalnews.ca

........... and the horse you rode in on, Ms. Know-It-All

pgs
+1

Up to 6,000 children died at Canada’s residential schools, report finds | Globalnews.ca

Yes the government set up the residential schools at the request of the native chiefs to allow the Indian to adapt to modern life .
Just out of curiousness how many native children would have died living a hunter gatherer existence if they did not attend residential school , and would you have been responsible ?

lone wolf
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Yes the government set up the residential schools at the request of the native chiefs to allow the Indian to adapt to modern life .
Just out of curiousness how many native children would have died living a hunter gatherer existence if they did not attend residential school , and would you have been responsible ?

I'd love to see actual proof that chiefs asked government to do something and government did it.

My daddy tol' me not to step in that....

Walter
+1 / -1
The FN see this as a gift that keeps on giving so it'll never be settled no matter how much money is given to them. Open the books.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1

GIVE ME A FOOKIN BREAK!

Are you consulting with Donald Trump?

LOL.

davesmom

Of course, we would ALL be responsible. Don't you know? If we don't admit it is OUR fault, we are idiots! Uneducated idiots!!
And all of our babies not born yet will be responsible too and will have to help pay the billions of dollars compensation!

gerryh

Of course, we would ALL be responsible. Don't you know? If we don't admit it is OUR fault, we are idiots! Uneducated idiots!!
And all of our babies not born yet will be responsible too and will have to help pay the billions of dollars compensation!

Hey Stupid. Are you saying that the Canadian citizens are NOT responsible for their government's actions?

Angstrom

Hey Stupid. Are you saying that the Canadian citizens are NOT responsible for their government's actions?

How much are you willing to pitch in for your share of the responsibility ?

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by Angstrom View Post

How much are you willing to pitch in for your share of the responsibility ?

I pay my taxes. What about you?

Angstrom
+1

I pay my taxes. What about you?

I don't feel I'm responsible for anything my government decided to do before I started voting.

gerryh

I don't feel I'm responsible for anything my government decided to do before I started voting.

That doesn't surprise me at all. Most free loaders feel that way.

Angstrom

That doesn't surprise me at all. Most free loaders feel that way.

Well if you feel that way I suggest you go ahead and give all your money to the victims.
Nothing has stopped you all these's years. Why haven't you already given the natives everything you have stolen from them?

gerryh

Well if you feel that way I suggest you go ahead and give all your money to the victims.
Nothing has stopped you all these's years. Why haven't you already given the natives everything you have stolen from them?

Actually, it would be the other way around. My Grandmother lost her status because she was with a white man. So, they owe my family, for that side. Let me know how you're gonna work that out. My taxes take care of what is owed from my fathers side.

petros
I'm glad that Canada died along with the Empire.

Angstrom

Actually, it would be the other way around. My Grandmother lost her status because she was with a white man. So, they owe my family, for that side. Let me know how you're gonna work that out. My taxes take care of what is owed from my fathers side.

what a mess. You don't think?

Compensating decendents of people who were forced into schools. Only in Canada

gerryh

what a mess. You don't think?

Compensating decendents of people who were forced into schools. Only in Canada

Well, the descendants have been effected by what the residential schools did. That being said, when do you think the last student left the residential schools?

The above, however, was not what I was addressing in my reply. It was in reply to your question/statement

Why haven't you already given the natives everything you have stolen from them?

personal touch
o.k,this is an easier question,
what century?lo!

Angstrom

Well, the descendants have been effected by what the residential schools did. That being said, when do you think the last student left the residential schools?
The above, however, was not what I was addressing in my reply. It was in reply to your question/statement

How have the decendents been affected?

Like yourself?

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by personal touch View Post

o.k,this is an easier question,
what century?lo!

For you, I doubt it is any easier a question. Since you decided to throw in your two cents, why don't you answer the question.