7 environmental charities face Canada Revenue Agency audits

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

The truth needs no defense.

I find it interesting that the same people critisizing Walter here for asking for a link are the same people who insist on links to an opinion that they do not agree with. No hypocrocy here though.

If you post something you should be prepared to back up your statement or at least indicate where you got your statement from. Opinions are always free to share.

Cliffy
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

I find it interesting that the same people critisizing Walter here for asking for a link are the same people who insist on links to an opinion that they do not agree with. No hypocrocy here though.

If you post something you should be prepared to back up your statement or at least indicate where you got your statement from. Opinions are always free to share.

I only share opinions. Show me where I have ever demanded links. Facts rarely penetrate a person's point of view. All the facts in the world will not change the anti-environmentalist gang's hate of environmentalists or the right's hate of lefties.

BornRuff
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Hehehe... Looks like the ecotards are coming to the understanding that the same rules that apply to the sectors they demonize, also apply to them.

Keep up the good work there boys

The government isn't supposed to use the bureaucracy to attack groups that disagree with them. It would be interesting to see what kind of evidence they have to warrant going after these specific groups.

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Lions, Rotary, Kinsmen

Those aren't charities they're service clubs.

BornRuff
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

Those aren't charities they're service clubs.

Many of these clubs are registered as charities with the CRA.

You can search for your local clubs here: Charities Listings

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuff View Post

Many of these clubs are registered as charities with the CRA.

You can search for your local clubs here: Charities Listings

Most of them aren't registered charities. Kinsmen is not a registered charity. Some specific foundations within it maybe but overall 99% of Kinsmen stuff is simply community people raising funds to support different community causes.

BornRuff

Most of them aren't registered charities. Kinsmen is not a registered charity.

If you just use the link I provided you will see that there are many Kinsmen clubs that are registered charities.

EagleSmack
+1

The government isn't supposed to use the bureaucracy to attack groups that disagree with them. It would be interesting to see what kind of evidence they have to warrant going after these specific groups.

I could not agree more.

Spade
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

I could not agree more.

Wait for an attack from the right, Comrade.

You'll recognise them; their hats and horses are black.

EagleSmack
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Spade View Post

Wait for an attack from the right, Comrade.

You'll recognise them; their hats and horses are black.

Well I did not see the left coming to the rescue either with regards to the ongoing IRS Scandal.

BornRuff
+1

Some specific foundations within it maybe but overall 99% of Kinsmen stuff is simply community people raising funds to support different community causes.

What do you think a charity is?

Spade
+1

Well I did not see the left coming to the rescue either with regards to the ongoing IRS Scandal.

Sorry, this Canuck is unfamiliar with the IRS scandal; obviously Snowdon is not doing his job, otherwise we'd've been there to help. Look for a white horse, a white hat, and a heart three sizes too large!

taxslave

How is the government attacking any groups? I have had both business and personal tax audits, is this not the same thing? Or was I being attackd by a left leaning government?

Zipperfish
Quote: Originally Posted by Tonington View Post

Obama's IRS targets politically active charities, and people go nuts. In the end one Democratic charity was punished. Canada targets politically active charities, and it's kudos. Glad to see the level of inconsistency is consistent.

Oh, I don't know if I'd take the general opinion of this board as representative of Canada. These political chat sites are more like talk radio.

You can't use the machinery of government to prosecute political ends. I suspect that the Conservatives willl rediscover this, as they have a horrible record when taken to task in the courts.

taxslave
Quote: Originally Posted by Zipperfish View Post

Oh, I don't know if I'd take the general opinion of this board as representative of Canada. These political chat sites are more like talk radio.

You can't use the machinery of government to prosecute political ends. I suspect that the Conservatives willl rediscover this, as they have a horrible record when taken to task in the courts.

Actually you can and it happens quite often. It was really bad under the NDP in BC back in the 90s.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by Spade View Post

Sorry, this Canuck is unfamiliar with the IRS scandal; obviously Snowdon is not doing his job, otherwise we'd've been there to help. Look for a white horse, a white hat, and a heart three sizes too large!

Is SEEMS like this and the IRS Scandal are similar.

Zipperfish

Actually you can and it happens quite often. It was really bad under the NDP in BC back in the 90s.

And did it do them much good?

BornRuff

How is the government attacking any groups? I have had both business and personal tax audits, is this not the same thing? Or was I being attackd by a left leaning government?

As you must know, there is considerable time and expense involved in an audit.

Singling out specific groups for extra attention for political reasons is illegal. They can't use taxpayer paid employees to exact political revenge.

Spade
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

Link?

Tonington

My mistake, my intent was based on this condition:

"non-partisan (never oppose or support any political party or candidate in any way);"

You'll notice that those orgs that are being audited, most notably Suzuki, have contravened the above element

Is it Suzuki as a private citizen, or the activities of his charity? The lines are a bit blurred when your charity is also your namesake. It's quite a different thing to oppose a government's policies than it is to oppose a political party. To go back to the Frasier Institute, they made specific criticisms of the Liberal BC government's decision to return to PST from HST, as well as comments on the statutory Family Day holiday, and on the government's activities with regards to pipelines. Is it criticism of policies, which is allowed? I think so.

I think this system we have is convoluted, and rife with opportunities for ugly politics . More to the point, I think it's wrong to specifically target charities that focus on a specific policy area. The IRS scandal was a non-scandal, after it was revealed that liberal and progressive charities were targeted as well, and the only charity to have it's tax exempt status revoked was a Democratic branded charity. But, if it was in fact Obama's IRS targeting only his policy adversaries, that would have been an abuse of power, and most clearly wrong.

taxslave

As you must know, there is considerable time and expense involved in an audit.

Singling out specific groups for extra attention for political reasons is illegal. They can't use taxpayer paid employees to exact political revenge.

SO how do you prove this is what they are doing? They can just say they are investigating a sector.

BornRuff

SO how do you prove this is what they are doing? They can just say they are investigating a sector.

It is obviously tough to prove. In the US example they had a smoking gun, but it would be surprising to find something like that here.

Given the track record of this government though, it is not hard to see why people are skeptical of their motives here.

My mistake, my intent was based on this condition:

"non-partisan (never oppose or support any political party or candidate in any way);"

You'll notice that those orgs that are being audited, most notably Suzuki, have contravened the above element

Can you provide any specific examples?

Zipperfish
+1

It is obviously tough to prove. In the US example they had a smoking gun, but it would be surprising to find something like that here.

Given the track record of this government though, it is not hard to see why people are skeptical of their motives here.

Can you provide any specific examples?

* crickets chirping *

captain morgan

The truth needs no defense.

Or any proof apparently

The rules are very clear. This is not an attack, it is enforcing the same rules that apply to everyone

C'mon ES; after all, they were fighting the good-fight... Just ask 'em

Is it Suzuki as a private citizen, or the activities of his charity? The lines are a bit blurred when your charity is also your namesake. It's quite a different thing to oppose a government's policies than it is to oppose a political party.

Suzuki was the one that took that chance in blurring the lines. In the radio spots that I heard, he spoke both his opinion as well as strong references to his charity.

The acid test on this will be if he used funds from the foundation to engage his cross-country agenda and/or wrote-off those expenses through the charity.

Suzuki withdrew from the foundation as a result of this circumstance. My belief is that he probably broke the rules and resigned as part of a damage-control strategy

To go back to the Frasier Institute, they made specific criticisms of the Liberal BC government's decision to return to PST from HST, as well as comments on the statutory Family Day holiday, and on the government's activities with regards to pipelines. Is it criticism of policies, which is allowed? I think so.

There is a big difference between speaking out on public policy and telling the public who they should or shouldn't vote for

I think this system we have is convoluted, and rife with opportunities for ugly politics . More to the point, I think it's wrong to specifically target charities that focus on a specific policy area.

You're dead right, but the rules are clear and the majority of eco-charities play by those rules, as such they are not being audited.... The ones that like to play fast and loose are now being held to account

BornRuff

The rules are very clear. This is not an attack, it is enforcing the same rules that apply to everyone

Again, can you provide some specific examples of how they broke the rules?

Cliffy

Again, can you provide some specific examples of how they broke the rules?

They opposed the right to rape and pillage the environment. Isn't that enough?

petros
Which environment is being raped and pillaged?

Have tree huggers taken it up a notch?

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Which environment is being raped and pillaged?

Have tree huggers taken it up a notch?

The entire planet so western capitalist societies can live off the plunder of the Earth while the vast majority of humanity chokes in our waste and receives almost none of the booty. But carry on.

Walter

The entire planet so western capitalist societies can live off the plunder of the Earth while the vast majority of humanity chokes in our waste and receives almost none of the booty. But carry on.

Yawn.

petros
I know trees have crotches and tree huggers can get a little freaky but pillage doesn't fit your theme.