U.S. Civics

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Here's a note on something I'm not sure Canadians fully understand. Some of you do, and I'm not talking down to you. I'm trying to help those not fully up on how the U.S. government works to understand a little better.

In your system, the PM is effectively the chief executive. I know, I know, technically the GG is chief executive, or very technically, the representative of the chief executive, but for practical, lawmaking and governing purposes, the PM is the chief executive. Because the PM is always from the majority party or coalition, the PM's legislative agenda will pass Parliament, except in cases of a major rebellion in the party or coalition.

It's not that way here. All laws have to be proposed in the House of Representatives or the Senate (though they can be presented for consideration by the President). Then the bill must be voted by a majority of the originating chamber (in some cases a supermajority of 60% in the Senate). The bill then goes to the other chamber, where it is debated and voted, but the other chamber can pass a different version than the version passed in the originating chamber. In that case, the bill then goes to a "conference committee," the differences are reconciled, and then both chambers must vote to pass the reconciled bill.

Then the bill (now an Act of Congress) goes to the President, who may sign it, in which case it becomes law, or veto it, in which case it does not become law unless both chambers of Congress vote to override the veto by 2/3 majorities (almost impossible).

Unlike Canada and Britain, the two chambers and the Presidency need not be of the same party, and in fact, it is rare for one party to hold both chambers of the Congress and the White House. Representatives, Senators, and the President are separately elected, by more-or-less popular vote. The Democrats had all three for only two years of the Obama administration, and the Republicans had all three for only two years of the Trump administration. Thus, it is far easier to "kill" a bill in our system than in yours. This is further exacerbated by the fact that our Senate, unlike your Senate or the Brits' House of Lords, is a fully equal partner in the process, and not the mostly toothless collection of old farts y'all have. For any one of the three to oppose a bill is almost always sufficient to kill it.

This, rather than corruption, lies, or whatever else you may imagine, is why when a Presidential candidate says she will do this or do that, it often doesn't happen. It's not because he was lying or corrupt, it's because he is unable to get his agenda through the Congress.

Hoid
A President usually needs to be a team builder.

Obviously that lets Trump out

Curious Cdn
Conservative
+2 / -1
#3  Top Rated Post
Tehnically, our Queen is our Chief Executive.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

That's what I said. "Very technically, the GG is the representative of your chief executive." Who did you think I was talking about, Jesus?

Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
+1

It's a titular position. In fact at least twice in my lifetime Parliament has petitioned the Queen to end a deadlock, and both times she basically told them to sort it out themselves.

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

It's a titular position. In fact at least twice in my lifetime Parliament has petitioned the Queen to end a deadlock, and both times she basically told them to sort it out themselves.

That's what the GG is for. Good of Her Maj to pull a W.C. Fields on them.

Curious Cdn
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

That's what I said. "Very technically, the GG is the representative of your chief executive." Who did you think I was talking about, Jesus?

Wait 'til it's Big Ears.

Tecumsehsbones

Wait 'til it's Big Ears.

Ahem! The proper title is "His Most Britannic Majesty, Tampon-Boy."

Show some damn respect, colonial!

Curious Cdn
Conservative

Ahem! The proper title is "His Most Britannic Majesty, Tampon-Boy."
Show some damn respect, colonial!

He talks to his plants.

He's the great, great, great, great, great grandson of Mad King George.

Tecumsehsbones

He talks to his plants.

Wouldn't you in his place?

Hoof Hearted
+1
Americans have no Monarchy. Hollywood is their Monarchy...Brad Pitt and Jennifer Lawrence...etc.

Speaks volumes to the shallowness of the Nation. Don't get me wrong though, I like Americans. It's just like...when...Carrot Top is doing sold out nights in Vegas...well, you know something is wrong with the social fabric of the country.

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
+1
Or when Donald Trump gets elected President

petros
+2
Hehehehe

You're upset.

*hugs*

AnnaEmber
No Party Affiliation

lol.

AnnaEmber
No Party Affiliation

He talks to his plants.

He's the great, great, great, great, great grandson of Mad King George.

Hey. I talk to my plants, too, but I don't expect replies.

Curious Cdn
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaEmber View Post

Hey. I talk to my plants, too, but I don't expect replies.

Do you think of them as your loyal subjects?

AnnaEmber
No Party Affiliation

Do you think of them as your loyal subjects?

Subjects, yes, but not loyal. Anyone can feed n water em. lol

Curious Cdn
Conservative

Subjects, yes, but not loyal. Anyone can feed n water em. lol

Those damned thing turn to WEEDS when you're back is turned.

AnnaEmber
No Party Affiliation

Those damned thing turn to WEEDS when you're back is turned.

They're ALL weeds. lol

Curious Cdn
Conservative

They're ALL weeds. lol

See?

They never listen.

pgs
Free Thinker

He has comprehension issues . Yes we know how your system works in that respect , but I would like to point out you also have a bunch of useless old farts inhabiting your upper chambers .

Curious Cdn
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

He has comprehension issues . Yes we know how your system works in that respect , but I would like to point out you also have a bunch of useless old farts inhabiting your upper chambers .

That's no way to talk about Moscow Mitch.

pgs
Free Thinker

That's no way to talk about Moscow Mitch.

Him too .

Danbones
Free Thinker
+2
...nor Yorgie neither.

"NYET! I'LL grab the banana YOU hit the return button on the snap back leash! OK?"
Last edited by Danbones; 1 week ago at 11:16 PM..