The Case Against President Donald John Trump

Tecumsehsbones
+2
The basis for impeachment is laid out in the Constitution.

"The President, Vice President and all Civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors."
United States Constitution, Article II, Section 4.

The law on "Bribery of public officials and witnesses" in the U.S. Criminal Code reads. . .

"Whoever. . . being a public official or person selected to be a public official, directly or indirectly, corruptly demands, seeks, receives, accepts, or agrees to receive or accept anything of value personally or for any other person or entity, in return for. . . being influenced in the performance of any official act. . . shall be fined under this title or not more than three times the monetary equivalent of the thing of value, whichever is greater, or imprisoned for not more than fifteen years, or both, and may be disqualified from holding any office of honor, trust, or profit under the United States."
Title 18, United States Code, Section 201(b)(emphasis mine).

This is the main charge against Trump. Other charges are likely to include obstruction of justice and obstruction of Congress.

Here is how impeachment works. . .

"The House of Representatives shall chuse their Speaker and other Officers; and shall have the sole Power of Impeachment."
United States Constitution, Article I, Section 2, clause 5.

Upon being impeached by the House of Representatives, the President is tried by the Senate.

"The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present."
United States Constitution, Article I, Section 3, clause 6.

Impeachment and trial are done by the rules of the respective chambers. There is no requirement for "due process of law," because the Constitution states that

"No person shall. . . be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law. . ."
United States Constitution, Amendment V.

But the Constitution is clear that an official impeached and tried can suffer only removal from office, and not deprivation of life, liberty, or property. . .

"Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States..."
United States Constitution, Article I, Section 3, clause 7.

So there you have it. This guide should help people cut through the torrent of bullshit from Trump and his supporters whimpering about "quid pro quo" and "due process" and all that other TV-programme lawyering.

Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
+3
#2  Top Rated Post
There's nothing in the Constitution or national laws that state a President MUST make their tax records public either and yet...

I'm also not aware of any Constitutional amendments stating it's okay to rig your primaries.

I just find it funny (not the ha-ha kind) when the people who are abusing their power accuse their opposition, rightly or wrongly, of abusing their power.

Of course I find it even more amusing that the Canadians who are whining about Trump obstructing justice were quite happy to give their own PM a free pass for the exact same thing. Oh that's right, it was because of "jobs" and not at all to do with SNC Lavalin having a 20% stake in Groper's home province's Pension Fund.

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
Whataboutism....too funny

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

There's nothing in the Constitution or national laws that state a President MUST make their tax records public either and yet...

And yet. . . what? Is someone proposing impeaching Donny Dodger for not making his tax records public?

Nice try though.

Quote:

I'm also not aware of any Constitutional amendments stating it's okay to rig your primaries.

That'd be because there's no provision in the Constitution addressing primaries at all.

Nice try though.

Quote:

I just find it funny (not the ha-ha kind) when the people who are abusing their power accuse their opposition, rightly or wrongly, of abusing their power.

The House isn't abusing its power, except in your pointy little head. Each chamber handles impeachment according to its own rules. I've already laid out the only Constitutional requirements, i.e., impeachment by a majority vote of the House and conviction by a 2/3 supermajority of the Senate.

Nice try though.

Quote:

Of course I find it even more amusing that the Canadians who are whining about Trump obstructing justice were quite happy to give their own PM a free pass for the exact same thing. Oh that's right, it was because of "jobs" and not at all to do with SNC Lavalin having a 20% stake in Groper's home province's Pension Fund.

Feel free to impeach him. I won't stop you.

And if it makes you feel any less hard-done-by, Donny Dodger won't be convicted and removed.

You know what amuses me? The fact that you are so very, very hurt by this impeachment, when you were undoubtedly baying for blood in the Clinton impeachment. So guess what? You're every inch the hypocrite you accuse the Canadian left and the Democrats of being! Well done you! Just exactly like them, you've reached your conclusion before hearing the evidence. So, yeah, you're looking pretty stupid up on your high horse.
Last edited by Tecumsehsbones; 1 week ago at 08:57 AM..

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

Whataboutism....too funny

The go-to argument of the intellectually and morally bankrupt desperate to divert attention.

Hoid
how can anyone equate Trudeau trying to get SNC Lavelin a legal loop hole to Trump working a quid pro quo to get dirt on an opponent?

I guess you have to think about it in the context that only white people are discriminated against and climate change is a hoax

AnnaEmber
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

lol Too funny.