Bats struck by wind turbine blades

Locutus
For those that care about such things:

Bats seem to be attracted to wind turbines. On this infrared video taken at night, one can see bats “investigating” the moving blades of a wind turbine. Strikes are also recorded.

Bats Interacting with Wind Turbines - YouTube

more

Bats Interacting with Wind Turbines » Center for Ecology and Conservation Biology » Boston University

lone wolf
I've heard bats bing off a car radio antenna. Not very bright li'l critters, are they....

L Gilbert
+1
The bat's around here must be smarter. They don't hang around windfarms.
Wonder how many fish are killed by hydro dams.

taxslave
I gotta start reading better. First glance I thought it said "Boats". That I would care about.

Johnnny
+1
Mabye the turbines are trasmitting on a frequency or vibrations that attracts the bats... Its not about intelligence but rather biology id say....

L Gilbert
Wonder how many deer/moose/elk/caribou/rodents/cats/dogs are killed because they are attracted to vehicle noise on the highway.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

Wonder how many deer/moose/elk/caribou/rodents/cats/dogs are killed because they are attracted to vehicle noise on the highway.

They like the salt. CPR has a grain/potash vaccum unit to help keep game from eating grain or salts spilled on the tracks.

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

They like the salt. CPR has a grain/potash vaccum unit to help keep game from eating grain or salts spilled on the tracks.

lol I know. They also like crossing the roads to get to the other side sometimes. Or, in cases like our two border collies, they like chasing vehicles. (Not so much anymore for ours because they know they get into deep shyte when they do). Critters also get sucked into the turbine engines of aircraft.
Bopping along a forestry access road one time and a mother griz bloody near freight-trained into the passenger side of my truck. She was moving fast. I suspect that one of her kids was in trouble on the other side of the road.
Lots of reasons why critters end up dead beside the roads.

petros
These don't work.

L Gilbert
Not 100% effective anyway.

http://www.bioacoustics.uconn.edu/re...26%20FINAL.pdf

shadowshiv
+2
#11  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

I gotta start reading better. First glance I thought it said "Boats". That I would care about.

You should care about bats, as they are responsible for helping to keep the mosquito population lower! Less bats means more mosquitoes!