Ontario Appoints Special Advisor for Climate Change, Creates Climate Action Group


mentalfloss
+1
#1
Ontario Appoints Special Advisor for Climate Change, Creates Climate Action Group

Province Taking Action on Climate Change

Ontario has appointed John Godfrey as special advisor for climate change and appointed him as chair of the government's new climate action group.

Godfrey will provide strategic advice and make recommendations to Glen Murray, Minister of the Environment and Climate Change, including identifying opportunities to advance Ontario's leadership internationally and strengthen collaboration with other subnational jurisdictions.

The climate action group will advise the minister on effective climate change actions that will help Ontario meet its greenhouse gas reduction goals and transition to a prosperous, low-carbon economy. This advice will build on feedback received through the government's public consultations on climate change.

The climate action group includes academics, business and civic leaders. It will meet quarterly and collaborate closely with Québec's Climate Change Advisory Committee to support work between the two provinces. Any joint meetings of the advisory groups will be by video or teleconference.

Demonstrating climate leadership and taking action on climate change is part of the government's economic plan for Ontario. The four-part plan is building Ontario up by investing in people's talents and skills, building new public infrastructure like roads and transit, creating a dynamic, supportive environment where business thrives, and building a secure savings plan so everyone can afford to retire.

Quick Facts

Ontario posted a Climate Change Discussion Paper on the Environmental Registry on Feb.12, 2015, for a 45-day comment period, ending March 29.
The province is also inviting feedback on the paper through in-person consultations, which began Feb. 24, and a new online consultation tool that lets users submit, view and vote on ideas.
Ontario has demonstrated leadership and collaboration through its agreement with Québec and a joint statement on climate change with Québec, California and British Columbia, resolving to work towards mid-term greenhouse gas reduction targets.
The province also joined the Compact of States and Regions, which commits international partners to publicly reporting on greenhouse gas emissions every year.
Ontario will host a Climate Summit of the Americas from July 7-9, 2015, to advance collaborative action on climate change ahead of the Conference of the Parties in Paris in December.
Background Information

Special Advisor and Climate Action Group
Additional Resources

Climate Change Discussion Paper
Ontario Climate Change Update 2014
Quotes

“The Honourable John Godfrey and members of the climate action group bring exceptional wisdom, experience and vision to help develop a forward-looking strategy and action plan that will help Ontario effectively fight climate change and foster a prosperous, low-carbon economy. Our fight against climate change will benefit from these leaders and their passion for helping build a better future for our planet and Ontario.”
Glen R. Murray
Minister of the Environment and Climate Change

Newsroom : Ontario Appoints Special Advisor for Climate Change, Creates Climate Action Group
 
DaSleeper
+2
#2
Another Liberal Boondoggle......
 
mentalfloss
#3
You do know Alberta has a carbon tax right?
 
petros
#4
Who cares? Can ON afford one?
 
mentalfloss
#5
Yes.
 
petros
#6
Really? How so?
 
mentalfloss
#7
It's not a lot of money.
 
Locutus
+1
#8
that's what they said about the 1,000 million dollar penalty for a little non-project out your way kid.


everything gets minimized. it's pathetic.

follow the $$$ tho'.
 
Spade
Free Thinker
+1
#9
Science | Climate Change | US EPA

A little science for the anti-vaxers, young earthers, creationists, gravity poo-pooers, and global-warming deniers.

Pass the toast, please. More eggs, anyone?
 
petros
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

It's not a lot of money.

Not a lot of what you lack makes life better? In two more years ON will be $350Billion in debt. Is that not a lot of money? Where is that going to come from?
 
mentalfloss
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Not a lot of what you lack makes life better? In two more years ON will be $350Billion in debt. Is that not a lot of money? Where is that going to come from?


Are you finally starting to clue in about how the significance of the economy is overstated? Lol

Baby steps.
 
petros
+2
#12
That's your economy and you spend all day criticizing the functioning in the black provinces?

Is that simply just jealousy?
 
taxslave
Free Thinker
+3
#13  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Not a lot of what you lack makes life better? In two more years ON will be $350Billion in debt. Is that not a lot of money? Where is that going to come from?

Equalization payments supplied by Alberta BC and Saskatchewan. Oh wait according to the gloom&dooomers the oil industry is in total bankruptcy so there will be no equalization payments. Sucks to live in Ontario or Quebec now.
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Equalization payments supplied by Alberta BC and Saskatchewan. Oh wait according to the gloom&dooomers the oil industry is in total bankruptcy so there will be no equalization payments. Sucks to live in Ontario or Quebec now.

Hmmmm, that is a concern.

Perhaps Ms Reddenbacher should convene a Special Advisor on how not to go bankrupt... We all know that once gubmint organizes a Committee that things really get done
 
petros
#15
As their credit rating slides, interest rates on the debt rises and finding loans gets harder and harder.
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
#16
Yep... Flossy will soon be out on the street blowing strangers for a fiver just to keep the lights on... Well, the lights and I also think it's a hobby for him, so it's really a double win there
 
petros
#17
He wouldn't need to do that if he could afford a single dwelling home and the 765% above FOB wholesale solar from China.
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

He wouldn't need to do that if he could afford a single dwelling home and the 765% above FOB wholesale solar from China.

Like I mentioned, I think he kinda does it for fun as well.

A couple of twoonies is just an extra bonus
 
petros
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Like I mentioned, I think he kinda does it for fun as well.

A couple of twoonies is just an extra bonus

A step up to Chunky soup.

What would this cost in Canada?

Hot Sale Off-grid 5kw Hybrid Solar Wind Power System - Buy Hybrid Solar Wkind Power Generation System,Wind Generator Solar Hybrid System,Off Grid Hybrid Solar Wind Power System Product on Alibaba.com

1) Suitable for daily power consumption:12.8-15KWH

Enough to run the dryer, dishwasher, AC and plasma TV with enough to spare for a couple block heaters all at once.
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
#20
It always amazes me that even when presented with a viable option, the usual suspects still refuse to actually do anything that would exemplify their beliefs.
 
petros
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

It always amazes me that even when presented with a viable option, the usual suspects still refuse to actually do anything that would exemplify their beliefs.

$10K to import and have installed is dirt cheap. Only another $2000 for hot water complete system installed.

2/3 of that was subsidized Federally and Provincially. Still might be Provincial.
 
mentalfloss
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

That's your economy and you spend all day criticizing the functioning in the black provinces?

Is that simply just jealousy?

It's more to point out how a policy strategy has failed.

It's for the people who care about that sort of thing.
 
petros
#23
What policy was that?
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

What policy was that?

Apparently the principles of general economics (policy) is the one that's failed
 
petros
#25
What failed?
 
taxslave
Free Thinker
+2
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

What failed?

Ontario. Now that Dutch Disease is cured their economy should be booming. At least according to the poor people that live there about a year ago.
 
Gilgamesh
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Yes.

Since Ontario has the worlds (?) largest non-sovereign debt, then NO Ontario certainly cannot afford it.

In addition the record worldwide shows that emission caps, carbon taxes etc have made no difference.

Another Liberal waste.
 
Gilgamesh
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Ontario Appoints Special Advisor for Climate Change, Creates Climate Action Group

Province Taking Action on Climate Change

Ontario has appointed John Godfrey as special advisor for climate change and appointed him as chair of the government's new climate action group.

Godfrey will provide strategic advice and make recommendations to Glen Murray, Minister of the Environment and Climate Change, including identifying opportunities to advance Ontario's leadership internationally and strengthen collaboration with other subnational jurisdictions.

The climate action group will advise the minister on effective climate change actions that will help Ontario meet its greenhouse gas reduction goals and transition to a prosperous, low-carbon economy. This advice will build on feedback received through the government's public consultations on climate change.

The climate action group includes academics, business and civic leaders. It will meet quarterly and collaborate closely with Québec's Climate Change Advisory Committee to support work between the two provinces. Any joint meetings of the advisory groups will be by video or teleconference.

Demonstrating climate leadership and taking action on climate change is part of the government's economic plan for Ontario. The four-part plan is building Ontario up by investing in people's talents and skills, building new public infrastructure like roads and transit, creating a dynamic, supportive environment where business thrives, and building a secure savings plan so everyone can afford to retire.

Quick Facts

Ontario posted a Climate Change Discussion Paper on the Environmental Registry on Feb.12, 2015, for a 45-day comment period, ending March 29.
The province is also inviting feedback on the paper through in-person consultations, which began Feb. 24, and a new online consultation tool that lets users submit, view and vote on ideas.
Ontario has demonstrated leadership and collaboration through its agreement with Québec and a joint statement on climate change with Québec, California and British Columbia, resolving to work towards mid-term greenhouse gas reduction targets.
The province also joined the Compact of States and Regions, which commits international partners to publicly reporting on greenhouse gas emissions every year.
Ontario will host a Climate Summit of the Americas from July 7-9, 2015, to advance collaborative action on climate change ahead of the Conference of the Parties in Paris in December.
Background Information

Special Advisor and Climate Action Group
Additional Resources

Climate Change Discussion Paper
Ontario Climate Change Update 2014
Quotes

“The Honourable John Godfrey and members of the climate action group bring exceptional wisdom, experience and vision to help develop a forward-looking strategy and action plan that will help Ontario effectively fight climate change and foster a prosperous, low-carbon economy. Our fight against climate change will benefit from these leaders and their passion for helping build a better future for our planet and Ontario.”
Glen R. Murray
Minister of the Environment and Climate Change

Newsroom : Ontario Appoints Special Advisor for Climate Change, Creates Climate Action Group

Another bullsh*t makework post from a bullsh*t government.
 
Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
+1
#29
I take it the Wynned Bag still had some cronies left-over who never got a chance at the trough.
 
Twin_Moose
Conservative
#30
Flush with Carbon money, trickle down economics at it's best give the money to the Gov. and they will trickle it down to buy votes