India's moon mission lifts off, hopes to probe lunar south pole


spaminator
+2
#1  Top Rated Post
India's moon mission lifts off, hopes to probe lunar south pole
Reuters
Published:
July 22, 2019
Updated:
July 22, 2019 8:34 AM EDT
Filed Under:
India's Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle Mk III-M1 blasts off carrying Chandrayaan-2, from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre at Sriharikota, India, July 22, 2019. (REUTERS/P. Ravikumar)
SRIHARIKOTA/BENGALURU — India launched a rocket into space on Monday in an attempt to safely land a rover on the moon, the country’s most ambitious mission yet in the effort to establish itself as a low-cost space power.
If successful, the 10-billion-rupee ($146-million) mission will allow Indian scientists to carry out studies regarding the presence of water at the moon’s south pole, unexplored by any other nation before.
“This mission will offer new knowledge about the Moon,” Prime Minister Narendra Modi said in a Twitter post, praising the scientists responsible for what he called a fully indigenous mission.
China, Russia and the United States are the only other nations to have sent missions to the moon.
A live broadcast showed images of the rocket, carrying the unmanned Chandrayaan-2 spacecraft, blasting off from a space center in southern India as thousands of onlookers cheered the launch, delayed for a week by a technical snag.
The boosters separated safely as the craft began its nearly 50-day journey, after which the lander will attempt a controlled landing to deploy a rover at the moon’s south pole.
The spacecraft had been successfully injected into the earth’s orbit, the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) said.
The next month and a half will see the spacecraft perform crucial maneuvers to ensure a smooth landing, ISRO Chairman K. Sivan said, as the agency’s officials congratulated each other with handshakes and bear hugs after the launch.
“We are going to experience 15 minutes of terror, to ensure that the landing is done safely near the south pole,” he told reporters, describing the final moments before the craft is expected to land on the moon, about 47 days from now.
The space agency has previously said the descent on the moon could be complex, with potential problems from variations in lunar gravity, terrain and dust having to be taken into account.
Globally, Chandrayaan-2, whose name means “moon vehicle” in Sanskrit, will be the year’s third bid at a moon landing, following China’s successful launch of a lunar probe and the Israeli Beresheet spacecraft, which failed and crashed on the moon in April.
India’s space agency suspects the south pole region of the moon contains water in the form of ice as well as craters that could reveal fossilized information about the early solar system.
Last week saw the 50th anniversary of humankind’s first steps on the moon in 1969.

http://torontosun.com/news/world/ind...nar-south-pole
 
Jinentonix
+1
#2
You know what I can't figure out? India has nuclear power, nuclear weapons and a space program and they are STILL a recipient of international aid.
 
Curious Cdn
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

You know what I can't figure out? India has nuclear power, nuclear weapons and a space program and they are STILL a recipient of international aid.

Lakshmi is most bountiful!
 
Blackleaf
#4
What is Britain doing sending millions in aid to India every year when it has its own space programme?

Come on, Boris. End this travesty.
 
Curious Cdn
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

What is Britain doing sending millions in aid to India every year when it has its own space programme?

... and it's way more advanced than Britain's ...
 
Blackleaf
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

... and it's way more advanced than Britain's ...


Thanks to all that British money.

What you say is debatable anyway. Britain is a major part of ESA.
Last edited by Blackleaf; Jul 27th, 2019 at 10:49 AM..
 
Curious Cdn
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

Thanks to all that British money.
What you say is debatable anyway. Britain is a major part of ESA.

Other than Beagle 2, what are your recent accomplishments in Space?
 
Blackleaf
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Other than Beagle 2, what are your recent accomplishments in Space?

One of the world's biggest satellite manufacturers.

A major member of Esa.

The lead country in Esa's upcoming ExoMars mission and the manufacturer of the mission's Mars rover.

Esa's 2028 Comet Interceptor Mission was conceived by Britain and Britain will lead the mission.

A major player and manufacturer of the Esa mission which landed on a comet in 2014.

The construction of three spaceports, on Scotland's North coast, at Glasgow Airport and in Cornwall.

Britain making up 10% of the global space industry by 2030.
 
Curious Cdn
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

One of the world's biggest satellite manufacturers.
A major member of Esa.
The lead country in Esa's upcoming ExoMars mission and the manufacturer of the mission's Mars rover.
Esa's 2028 Comet Interceptor Mission was conceived by Britain and Britain will lead the mission.
A major player and manufacturer of the Esa mission which landed on a comet in 2014.
The construction of three spaceports, on Scotland's North coast, at Glasgow Airport and in Cornwall.
Britain making up 10% of the global space industry by 2030.

How many Astronauts again?

That many, eh?

How much did you put into the ISS again?

That much, eh?
 
Blackleaf
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

How many Astronauts again?

That many, eh?

Seven Britons have been to space. Britain is one of just three countries whose first person to leave Earth was a woman.

One Indian has gone to space.

Quote:

How much did you put into the ISS again?

That much, eh?

Nothing, just like India.

The United Kingdom withdrew from Esa's monetary contributions to the ISS as it sees the space station as a waste of money.
 
Curious Cdn
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

Seven Britons have been to space. Britain is one of just three countries whose first person to leave Earth was a woman.
One Indian has gone to space.
Nothing, just like India.
The United Kingdom withdrew from Esa's monetary contributions to the ISS as it sees the space station as a waste of money.

We put billions into it. That's how Canada gets an active space programme ... by collaboration with other countries. Look the word up. It hasn't reached England yet.
 
Blackleaf
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

... by collaboration with other countries.

So, just like Esa then.
 
Jinentonix
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

We put billions into it. That's how Canada gets an active space programme ... by collaboration with other countries. Look the word up. It hasn't reached England yet.

Yes, billions wasted exploring space, and looking for aliens, instead of exploring our oceans in greater detail and studying the "alien" life here.
Hell, it's practically the same technology minus the massive and expensive rockets. Meanwhile, we've got more debris orbiting our planet than we have actual working equipment.
 
Johnnny
+1
#14
Pretty cool that there is another mission going to the moon.
 
petros
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by Johnnny View Post

Pretty cool that there is another mission going to the moon.

With finding water as it's goal. WTG India.
 
Blackleaf
#16
Hopefully Johnson will end the British aid to India.
 
petros
#17
The the clean up costs?
 
Curious Cdn
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Yes, billions wasted exploring space, and looking for aliens, instead of exploring our oceans in greater detail and studying the "alien" life here.
Hell, it's practically the same technology minus the massive and expensive rockets. Meanwhile, we've got more debris orbiting our planet than we have actual working equipment.

Who's looking for "aliens" other than Trump's Border Patrol and you Brexit Jobs?
 
Blackleaf
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by curious cdn View Post

who's looking for "aliens" other than trump's border patrol and you brexit jobs?

seti
 
Blackleaf
#20
For some reason, this forum I've been posting on since 2004 doesn't let me post block capitals.

Terrible way to treat a forum veteran.

15 years and this is the result.

It's like when my grandfather retired as a British Rail signalman in 1989 after 30-odd years of service and all they gave him was a gold watch. He told them where to shove it.
Last edited by Blackleaf; Aug 1st, 2019 at 06:52 PM..