How safe do you feel?


ironsides
No Party Affiliation
#1
How safe do you feel knowing there are people around legally carrying guns?

http://world-news.newsvine.com/_question/2010/03/23/4036468-how-safe-do-you-feel-knowing-there-are-people-around-legally-carrying-concealed-guns
 
Johnnny
No Party Affiliation
#2
in canada crimes with guns have actually been going down....

So im not sure i could give a comment or point of view that would satisfy your question....

BUT im down in the finch area alot when im in Toronto and i know there are alot of concealed weapons and so far i have been ok, and i dont look like the russians either
 
DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by Johnnny View Post


BUT im down in the finch area alot when im in Toronto and i know there are alot of concealed weapons and so far i have been ok, and i dont look like the russians either

You willingly hang out in the Jane-Finch area?
 
Johnnny
No Party Affiliation
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post

You willingly hang out in the Jane-Finch area?

and the wilson area, i know a few people there, long story.....

You should see the looks i used to get when i wore my hunting jacket
 
DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by Johnnny View Post

and the wilson area, i know a few people there, long story.....

You should see the looks i used to get when i wore my hunting jacket

I bet, I imagine the residents thought you were going to be hunting them.
 
bobnoorduyn
Free Thinker
#6
I don't know that many folks in this country other than police and security guards that are legally carrying concealed firearms. Oddly, the only concealed "weapons" that are legal for citizens to carry are firearms, non lethal weapons are prohibited, (carrying bear spray on the bus can land you in a world of hurt). Studies do show that it takes as little as 5% of the citizenry to own/carry firearms to markedly reduce violent crime. Violent crime in the UK increased so rapidly since their gun ban that they had do re-classify certain crimes so they wouldn't fall into that category.
 
Libertarian
No Party Affiliation
#7
Very safe. I know how to defend myself. I can carry some makeshift weapon, and I do, if I go to the Northeast Calgary after 10 PM. Now nobody has messed with me yet, probably because I am fairly imposing to begin with.

Yet even with say a club, brass knuckles, or switch blade (which I don't have), if a group of gangsters attack you, you can't do anything but get beaten down, possibly mugged, or even gang raped (if female, but still possible for males).

Now if you had a handgun on you, you could easily open fire on them, and have a chance. Now they could also have guns, but I'd rather take my chances in 4 to 1 shootout, then a 4 to 1 melee.
 
Libertarian
No Party Affiliation
#8
But there are many "legal" weapons in Canada. Baseball bats, crowbars, machetes, hunting knives, and more. You can buy these easily in Walmart or a hunting/sports store.

With a sharpened hunting knife or steel baseball bat, someone can do a lot of damage. You could even kill several people with a hunting knife alone, so it is impossible to stop violence by banning guns.
 
AnnaG
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by ironsides View Post

How safe do you feel knowing there are people around legally carrying guns?

http://world-news.newsvine.com/_question/2010/03/23/4036468-how-safe-do-you-feel-knowing-there-are-people-around-legally-carrying-concealed-guns

Very safe. I'm a bit more nervous about tasers and cops boots, at the moment. But even then I feel pretty safe because I don't piss off cops.
 
Libertarian
No Party Affiliation
#10
Oh, and a car is a much more dangerous weapon then a gun. Yet, how many people use their cars to squish people to death? If everyone over 18 owned guns, the vast majority would not use them unless they had no other choice.
 
bobnoorduyn
Free Thinker
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post

But there are many "legal" weapons in Canada. Baseball bats, crowbars, machetes, hunting knives, and more. You can buy these easily in Walmart or a hunting/sports store.

These aren't weapons per se, but if a person uses one as a weapon illegally they are usually charged with weapons offenses. Under Canadian law, firearms are always weapons.

As for self defense, I'm getting a little long in the tooth to do it without help. My home is protected by a John Browning design manufactured by Samuel Colt & Co. among others.
 
eh1eh
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post

Very safe. I know how to defend myself. I can carry some makeshift weapon, and I do, if I go to the Northeast Calgary after 10 PM. Now nobody has messed with me yet, probably because I am fairly imposing to begin with.

Yet even with say a club, brass knuckles, or switch blade (which I don't have), if a group of gangsters attack you, you can't do anything but get beaten down, possibly mugged, or even gang raped (if female, but still possible for males).

Now if you had a handgun on you, you could easily open fire on them, and have a chance. Now they could also have guns, but I'd rather take my chances in 4 to 1 shootout, then a 4 to 1 melee.

While you're shooting one guy, one of the other three clubs you, takes your gun, bang bang you're dead and they just got a free gun.
 
AnnaG
#13
Sounds like libertarian man would be comfy in Texas.
 
AnnaG
#14
My thing about toting guns around is that most people haven't a clue how to use them properly.
 
eh1eh
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaG View Post

My thing about toting guns around is that most people haven't a clue how to use them properly.


Even if they do that just means they can, 'use them properly' = 'kill with them', as that is what they were made to do. Remember, guns don't kill people, people with guns kill people.

Texas, lol.
 
Libertarian
No Party Affiliation
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaG View Post

Sounds like libertarian man would be comfy in Texas.

Actually believe it or not, Alberta was and still is much like Texas. We used to have gun rights like them, not too long ago.
 
ironsides
No Party Affiliation
#17
So ya let the rest of Canada take away your rights? Now it is just a memory.
 
ironsides
No Party Affiliation
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaG View Post

My thing about toting guns around is that most people haven't a clue how to use them properly.

Those who carry guns legally, must show proficiency in handling them before a license is issued. (almost all states except Vermont, they allow any resident to do it)
 
eh1eh
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post

Actually believe it or not, Alberta was and still is much like Texas. We used to have gun rights like them, not too long ago.

Why do you insult Albertans so?
 
Libertarian
No Party Affiliation
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1eh View Post

Why do you insult Albertans so?

Lol. I meant we have a conservative province with oil and agriculture as a huge industry, lots of rednecks, and similar sized province.

Both have great beef and more.
 
eh1eh
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by ironsides View Post

Those who carry guns legally, must show proficiency in handling them before a license is issued. (almost all states except Vermont, they allow any resident to do it)

Less people per capita get shot here in Canada. Explain that.
 
Liberalman
Free Thinker
#22
Community housing is the problem because they are in a ghetto setting.

The city of Toronto is trying to fix the problem by tearing down the ghettos and building mixed housing will it work time will tell.

Canada has to suffer because America was too proud that there was a problem and as the gangs grew they came northward into Canada.

As long as we have tough areas there will be a demand for guns.

Get rid of violent video games this will decrease the demand for guns.
 
DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

Get rid of violent video games this will decrease the demand for guns.

I would love to see you prove that statement, please.
 
AnnaG
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1eh View Post

'use them properly' = 'kill with them'

No. Killing people with guns is not proper. Using them to kill potential food is proper.
 
AnnaG
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by ironsides View Post

Those who carry guns legally, must show proficiency in handling them before a license is issued. (almost all states except Vermont, they allow any resident to do it)

I said properly. Any idiot knows which end not to look into and that's the end to point at things.
 
AnnaG
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

Community housing is the problem because they are in a ghetto setting.

The city of Toronto is trying to fix the problem by tearing down the ghettos and building mixed housing will it work time will tell.

Canada has to suffer because America was too proud that there was a problem and as the gangs grew they came northward into Canada.

As long as we have tough areas there will be a demand for guns.

Get rid of violent video games this will decrease the demand for guns.

lmao
 
eh1eh
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaG View Post

No. Killing people with guns is not proper. Using them to kill potential food is proper.


Right, I agree.
So you need to carry a concealed weapon so the prey doesn't notice the gun. I knew there was a logical explanation.
 
Libertarian
No Party Affiliation
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

Community housing is the problem because they are in a ghetto setting.

I thought you liberals supported community housing?

Quote:

The city of Toronto is trying to fix the problem by tearing down the ghettos and building mixed housing will it work time will tell.

You can take the gangster out of the hood, but you can't take the hood out of the gangster. You have to fix people, not their residences.

Quote:

Canada has to suffer because America was too proud that there was a problem and as the gangs grew they came northward into Canada.

Yep.

Quote:

As long as we have tough areas there will be a demand for guns.

As long as we have evil people, we have need for guns. As long as we have a government, we have need for guns. Read my signature.

Quote:

Get rid of violent video games this will decrease the demand for guns.

This is a laugh. And everything that is wrong with modern liberals. The government should NOT be telling people what we can and can't do. This is exactly the wrong approach to take.

The key is to heavily punishing criminals, so we don't have repeat offenders running around.

If the police would start doing their jobs properly, and arresting gangsters, we wouldn't have a problem.

Any newly landed immigrant who commits a violent crime should be deported and banned from coming back.
 
AnnaG
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1eh View Post

Right, I agree.
So you need to carry a concealed weapon so the prey doesn't notice the gun. I knew there was a logical explanation.

WTH are you talking about? I never said anything about concealed guns.
 
eh1eh
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaG View Post

WTH are you talking about? I never said anything about concealed guns.

Look at the OP.