Who was the greatest leader in the history of humanity?


I think not
#1
Winston Churchill, Franklin Roosevelt, Jesus, Moses, Hitler, Ceasar.....etc?

What do you think? What makes someone a great leader? Are they supposed to inspire the masses?
 
jimmoyer
#2
A lot of wars and hard times created great leaders with a built-in wish of the masses waiting
for someone to lead.

But the ones that did not have war to deal with fascinate me the most.

War focuses all those with a unity needed against an external enemy.

But in a time with no external enemy to harness any masses, a leader who arises to change
the status quo ?

A Jesus ?

A Cincinatti ? Even if the facts don't support the legend there. The idea of a citizen farmer
coming to fix corruption and repair a failed government is still quite intriguing and legendary.
And then LEAVE. Who gives up power willingly ?


Or how about a leader of ideas ?

How much more revolutionary? A Darwin ? An Einstein ? Freud?

Or writers, artists, poets ?
 
#juan
#3
The first name that comes to me is Winston Churchill. Churchill was probably the geatest wartime leader in what we call the "free world". After the war the British threw him out on his ear.
 
jimmoyer
#4
Churchill was considered a jerk, a lone wolf crying, until all his warnings about the
coming war came true.
 
Sassylassie
#5
Does my answer have to be in the Realm of Reality? I can't think of one leader that I would classify as "Great" however I really admired Jean Luc of the Star Ship Enterpise he'd get my vote. "Make it so."
Sorry didn't mean to hyjack this thread.
 
DurkaDurka
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by Sassylassie View Post

Does my answer have to be in the Realm of Reality? I can't think of one leader that I would classify as "Great" however I really admired Jean Luc of the Star Ship Enterpise he'd get my vote. "Make it so."
Sorry didn't mean to hyjack this thread.

I'll second your vote for Jean Luc. Beam me up.
 
Sassylassie
#7
Is that you Number 1?
 
sanctus
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by I think not View Post

Winston Churchill, Franklin Roosevelt, Jesus, Moses, Hitler, Ceasar.....etc?

What do you think? What makes someone a great leader? Are they supposed to inspire the masses?


He wasn't a politician, so imagine my surprise at seeing his name amongst a list of politicians. However, Jesus was clearly, in my opinion, the most influential human-God in history
 
ottawabill
#9
I think it would be Jesus....Even if you didn't think of him in a holy way it would still be him. What one man has affected so many for so long...
 
Sassylassie
#10
Good answer Bill, I'll vote for Jesus. I'd be to afraid not to, lapsed Catholic and all.
 
ottawabill
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by Sassylassie View Post

Good answer Bill, I'll vote for Jesus. I'd be to afraid not to, lapsed Catholic and all.

better watch out Girl the Pope will get you..says so in the Bible doesn't it? hehehe

Ah who am I to talk I go the Anglican Church..."catholic light"
 
the caracal kid
#12
Ghengis Khan.
 
#juan
#13
Yeah. Ghengis Khan made a pretty big mark on his world, and he lasted longer than most

http://www.isidore-of-seville.com/genghis/
 
thomaska
#14
Sitting Bull gets my vote.
 
cortex
#15
Stalin, Che, Castro, Mao,Nassar, Ghandi, Lenin,and the greatest of all Giap.
 
Said1
#16
Greatest leader? Hands down, Tony Soprano. He could kick that prissy Jean-luc's ass with one hand tied behind his back and a cigar butt wedged in the corner of his mouth.


Seriously though, Ghandi was pretty cool.
 
RomSpaceKnight
#17
I've always thought that the women do very well when leading the world. Queen Elizabeth the 1st and 2nd, Queen Vic, Indira Gandhi, Golda Meir, Catherine the Great. I was even impressed by Kim Campbell. personally I like Winston, Che Guevara, Mao and the Duke Of Wellington.
 
Daz_Hockey
#18
I think perhaps Queen Elizabeth the first...

Simply because she took on the might of the male-dominated world and pretty much kicked ass all over the world. But otherwise:

Ghandi - gotta be Ghandi, as an Englishman, I don't even respect Churchill as much as him...what a man, see this is the respect that George Washington could have attained if he'd gone to Britain, stayed with the poor, said "look I'm one of you, were all down-trodden by the British government, but you are all my brother's and sisters" - nope, no comparison at all
 
Blackleaf
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

The first name that comes to me is Winston Churchill. Churchill was probably the geatest wartime leader in what we call the "free world". After the war the British threw him out on his ear.

And then he was re-elected in the 1950s. He was Prime Minister twice.

When he lost the election, someone asked him if the British public are being ungrateful. Churchill replied that they weren't being ungrateful but that he was voted out of office because the British people wanted to forget about the horrors of the War.



In 2002, Churchill was voted the greatest Briton ever on BBC's "100 Greatest Britons."

He was British Prime Minister from 10 May 1940 27 July 1945 and from 26 October 1951 7 April 1955 . His first Deputy Prime Minister was Clement Atlee and his second was Anthony Eden. Atlee and Eden also became Prime Minister - Atlee twice. Churchill died in 1965 and was given a huge state funeral.


"Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill KG OM CH TD FRS PC (Can) ( 30 November 1874 24 January 1965 ) was an English statesman and author, best known as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom during the Second World War . Well-known as an orator, strategist, and politician, Churchill was one of the most important leaders in modern British and world history . He won the 1953 Nobel Prize in Literature for his many books on English and world history. Sir Winston Churchill was voted the greatest-ever Briton in the 2002 BBC poll the 100 Greatest Britons .

Churchill's legal surname was Spencer-Churchill (he was related to the Spencer family ), but starting with his father, Lord Randolph Churchill , his branch of the family used the name Churchill in their public life.

Winston Churchill was a descendant of the first famous member of the Churchill family, John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough . Winston's politician father, Lord Randolph Churchill , was the third son of the 7th Duke of Marlborough ; Winston's mother was Lady Randolph Churchill (née Jennie Jerome ), daughter of American millionaire Leonard Jerome .
Winston Churchill was born in Blenheim Palace in Woodstock, Oxfordshire on 30th November 1874.

As was typical for upper-class boys at that time, he spent much of his childhood at boarding schools . At Harrow School , he had an independent and rebellious nature and generally did poorly, for which he was punished. However, he did well in English and history. He was also the school's fencing champion. He was rarely visited by his mother (then known as Lady Randolph ), whom he loved very dearly, and wrote letters begging her to either come or let his father permit him to come home. As an adult, Winston developed a closer, sibling-like relationship with his mother.

He followed his father's career keenly but had a distant relationship with him. His desolate, lonely childhood stayed with him throughout his life. On the other hand, as a child he was very close to his nanny, Elizabeth Anne Everest.


Second term as Prime Minister

Churchill was restless and bored as leader of the Conservative opposition in the immediate post-war years. After Labour's defeat in the General Election of 1951, Churchill again became Prime Minister. His third government — after the wartime national government and the brief caretaker government of 1945 — would last until his resignation in 1955. During this period, he renewed what he called the " special relationship " between Britain and the United States, and engaged himself in the formation of the post-war order.


Churchill with Canadian Prime Minister Louis St. Laurent in 1954



His domestic priorities were, however, overshadowed by a series of foreign policy crises, which were partly the result of the continued decline of British military and imperial prestige and power. Being a strong proponent of Britain as an international power, Churchill would often meet such moments with direct action.

The Mau Mau Rebellion


In 1951, grievances against the colonial distribution of land came to a head with the Kenya Africa Union demanding greater representation and land reform. When these demands were rejected, more radical elements came forward, launching the Mau Mau rebellion in 1952. On 17 August 1952 , a state of emergency was declared, and British troops were flown to Kenya to deal with the rebellion. As both sides increased the ferocity of their attacks, the country moved to full-scale civil war.

In 1953, the Lari massacre, perpetrated by Mau-Mau insurgents against Kikuyu loyal to the British, changed the political complexion of the rebellion and gave the public-relations advantage to the British. Churchill's strategy was to use a military stick combined with implementing many of the concessions that Attlee's government had blocked in 1951. He ordered an increased military presence and appointed General Sir George Erskine, who would implement Operation Anvil in 1954 that broke the back of the rebellion in the city of Nairobi . Operation Hammer, in turn, was designed to root out rebels in the countryside. Churchill ordered peace talks opened, but these collapsed shortly after his leaving office.

wikipedia.org
Last edited by Blackleaf; Nov 4th, 2006 at 06:13 AM..
 
Finder
#20
It's hard to say because there have been many great war leaders, all at there respected times and all are products of there time, or were a little ahead of there time.

But truly I would have to say out of all of them the only one which was truly scores ahead of his time, was great at a young age, did what no other would do for hundreds of years, and really never truly copied was Alexander the Great. With what he had at hand, in the time it took him to do it and for his leadership skills nobody compairs to Alexander the great.
 
cortex
#21
Is it true that alexander the great learned most of his leadership skills by perfecting the art of popping his own zits?---or is that a revisionist misconception?
 
The Project Man
#22
Genghis Khan


From fatherless nomad to leader of the largest empire in HISTORY.

He was married at 9(pre-arranged), if that isn't struggle enough His father (The tribal cheif of his clan) was poisoned by the neighboring 'Tartars", bad sauce I guess. When he was 9 or 10 he attempted to claim his Father's throne. The clan told him to go 'F' himself and they abondoned his family into the roughest terrain. Destitute and pissed of....The rest is history.

A great story backed by balls of steel.
 
sanctus
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by The Project Man View Post

Genghis Khan


From fatherless nomad to leader of the largest empire in HISTORY. .



Point of fact, the largest empire in history was the British Empire. but your point is still valid.
 
The Project Man
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by sanctus View Post

Point of fact, the largest empire in history was the British Empire. but your point is still valid.


Petty I know but.........just being me.....I hate that.
Mongol Nation (Улс)") ( 1206 1405 ) was (arguably) the largest land empire in world history , covering over 33 million km².
 

Similar Threads

83
History: Greatest Leader and Why
by sine000 | May 11th, 2009
12
Who was the greatest leader in WWII?
by BigLou | Aug 31st, 2008
11
The Greatest of Humanity
by JomZ | Dec 23rd, 2005