History: Greatest Leader and Why (Greatest Leaders In History)

lone wolf
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Dwight was good, but wasn't the U.S. involvement more in the Pacific than in Europe?

...oh.... Don't say that to an American.... Patton and Monty just about declared on each other. Everybody knew....

Colpy
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Dwight was good, but wasn't the U.S. involvement more in the Pacific than in Europe?

On April 30, 1945 the United States had 3,065,000 military personel in Europe.

Yep. I'd say they were there.

dix16
genghis khan, hands down. far ahead of his time in war tactics, leadership, and moral beliefs. he practised laws in the 1200's that some places in this world down even consider today. he gave women rights, stopped brutal mutilation, drafted scholars and engineers into his army, developed trade routes, allowed any religion beliefs to exist as long the people conformed to his laws and fought for his people. someone wrote that jesus was the only man willing to die for his cause.... thats exactly what this man did himself and not related to jesus in any means. mongols consider him a god and one day believe he will be resurrected (sound familiar).

hands down with out a doubt this was the greatest leader of all time, only argument would be jesus christ

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
ok. Earlier I said the greatest warrior type leader, IMO, was Timujin. And the greatest peaceful leader was Mahatma Ghandi. Now I want to add the greatest live leader, IMO: Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by sine000 View Post

Hey guys, who do you think is the greatest leader in the world? He/She could be dead or still alive....

I would personally pick Adolf Hitler....although he commanded the SS troops to kill 3 million Jews and many million others...he gave everyone jobbs...

Yeah. Despite the fact Hitler killed 6 millions Jews (not 3 million), and many gypsies, homosexuals, physically and mentally handicapped, Jehovah's Witnesses, Neopagans, Adventists, trade unionists and 17 million civilians in total, hated women's rights (the Nazi regime wanted a patriarchial society in which German women would recognize the "world is her husband, her family, her children, and her home), conquered huge swathes of Europe and attempted to conquer Britain, left British cities in rubble, tried to create an empire where everyone would have blond hair and blue eyes, giving him the dubious record as one of the biggest, if not the biggest, mass murderers of all time, he was still a "great" leader because he gave everyone jobs? I suppose that's the most important thing, eh? Let's just forget about the rest.

And the Nazis reducing unemployment is also a dubious claim. The German economy was starting to recover from the Great depression before the Nazis came to power.

#juan
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by ironsides View Post

Was Canada a country during WW-2?

I know you're trying to rattle our chain, but that was probably the most ignorant thing you've ever posted. Canada was a country during both world wars and our contribution per capita was greater than that of the U.S.

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
Not only that, we got into the war to help others out, not because some idiot attacked us.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

Yeah. Despite the fact Hitler killed 6 millions Jews (not 3 million), and many gypsies, homosexuals, physically and mentally handicapped, Jehovah's Witnesses, Neopagans, Adventists, trade unionists and 17 million civilians in total, hated women's rights (the Nazi regime wanted a patriarchial society in which German women would recognize the "world is her husband, her family, her children, and her home), conquered huge swathes of Europe and attempted to conquer Britain, left British cities in rubble, tried to create an empire where everyone would have blond hair and blue eyes, giving him the dubious record as one of the biggest, if not the biggest, mass murderers of all time, he was still a "great" leader because he gave everyone jobs? I suppose that's the most important thing, eh? Let's just forget about the rest.

And the Nazis reducing unemployment is also a dubious claim. The German economy was starting to recover from the Great depression before the Nazis came to power.

I'd say he was one of the greatest exterminators of the world, but I'm not sure if extermnating falls under the job description of a leader, but, if so, maybe Stalin was the greatest.

wulfie68
No Party Affiliation
A lot of interesting opinions here... not sure I agree with a lot of them, but interesting none the less. I think the major WWII leaders get a lot of recognition because of the event and its impact on the world but they're not necessarily the greatest ever

Hitler - whatever else you want to say about him, he was charismatic and able to resonate with a lot of Germans. His economic recovery was remarkable when you consider Germany was still reeling under the WWI/treaty of Versailles reparations (and on the verge of dissolving into pre-Bismarck style city states/duchies) but Blackleaf did a pretty nice list of his shortcomings

Stalin - I see him as having most of Hitler's negativity without having to do as much to get into power (he was already part of the hierarchy in a one party state). I remember him most for exterminating his own people, initially colloborating with Hitler (the Molotov-Ribbentrop agreement), throwing millions of undertrained and underequipped conscripts at the German war machine and then occupying Eastern Europe.

Churchill - was a beacon for the free world before the US came into WWII

FDR - probably most underestimated of the WWII leaders: before the US entry he was already sending large amounts of arms/supplies to the USSR and UK through the lend-lease programs.

Away from WWII

Ghandi - India is a huge place, with a lot of ethnic and religious diversity. That he was able to galvanize the different groups in a mostly peaceful manner speaks volumes about his leadership ability.

Attaturk - as mentioned, his leadership of the Turks in WWI and after to achieve their independance

Arthur Wellesley, the Duke of Wellington - people think of him as the man who stood against Napolean at Waterloo, but his fight against Bonaparte's France went back into the Iberian Peninsula, where he kept Portugal free of the French occupation and led the liberation of Spain. After the Napoleanic wars he was a tremendously influential Brittish PM and diplomat. Some refer to Napolean as a genius, but what about the man who defeated him, and whose influence extended longer and more widely?

Elizabeth I and Isabella of Spain - powerful women who molded their countries into powers for centuries to come

Ghengis Khan - was there a more fierce or able conqueror since the fall of Rome? I doubt it.

Julius Caesar - "criticized" for bringing down the republic in Rome (although he didn't really himself), he was a brilliant politician and general (although some of his claims like "conquering" Brittania are exagerated).

Alexander the Great - his empire was enormous, especially considering his youth and the technology available.

darkbeaver
Republican
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

Hey Blackleaf, Queen Victoria's reign saw the murder of a conservatively estimated two-hundred million of the colonized peoples. You obviuosly like history but have no real appreciation for it.

YukonJack
Conservative
Forget about anyone else:

IT IS the new Messiah, himself, HUSSAIN OBAMA!!!!!!

Why?

Just because he is.

pgs
Free Thinker
It has to be Scotty Beauman

darkbeaver
Republican
I am the worlds greatest unrecognized leader. That's what the voices keep saying.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

It has to be Scotty Beauman

Any relation to the Scotty Bowman of hockey fame or is this a French version?

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by YukonJack View Post

Forget about anyone else:

IT IS the new Messiah, himself, HUSSAIN OBAMA!!!!!!

Why?

Just because he is.

Hey Y.J. There's HELP available for guys like you in the Yellow Pages under "M".

pgs
Free Thinker
I quess my spellchecker doesn't work.
I actually meant to type in Toe Blake.

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

I quess my spellchecker doesn't work.
I actually meant to type in Toe Blake.

How can you mistake spelling "Toe Blake" as "Scotty Bowman"? lol

Stretch
Free Thinker
David Lange, the late Prime Minister Of New Zealand who told the us of g where to stick their nuclear powered warships. And back in March '85, he got a standing ovation from both sides of the debate.......... YouTube - david lange Oxford Union Debate, 1 March 1985

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
Who is us of g?

Stretch
Free Thinker
the united states of greed

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
Jeeez, I should have known.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

How can you mistake spelling "Toe Blake" as "Scotty Bowman"? lol

Whichever, he spelt both of them wrong.............

Stretch
Free Thinker
you should know me by now, mate

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
YouTube - Artie Shaw - Jeepers Creepers