3.2 million Canadians living in poverty: StatCan

B00Mer
+1

https://tnc.news/2020/02/27/3-2-mill...verty-statcan/

Girth
+3
I thought Trudeau just announced that he all but eliminated poverty in Canada.

B00Mer
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Girth View Post

Trudeau Canada is Quebec..

taxslave
+9
#4  Top Rated Post
ANd yet we have people protesting job creation.

Twin_Moose
+1
I thought Hoid said unemployment is at an all time low, who's facts are right?

AnnaE
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

So poverty's probably worse than what the gov't says, but is it getting better or worse?
Here's the report the link was referring to: https://campaign2000.ca/wp-content/u...ry-14-2020.pdf

AnnaE

As the report said, employment doesn't necessarily eliminate poverty. https://campaign2000.ca/wp-content/u...ry-14-2020.pdf

AnnaE
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

Employment is different from poverty.

taxslave
+4
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaE View Post

As the report said, employment doesn't necessarily eliminate poverty. https://campaign2000.ca/wp-content/u...ry-14-2020.pdf

People that have real jobs don't live in poverty. Most probably will always be some poverty but we have to get away from the hand out idea and move to hand up. Which will piss off the bureacraps that have made poverty an industry.

Twin_Moose
+2

Employment is different from poverty.

Absolutely, that's what a few of us are trying to say

The working poor have a chance of succeeding, the non working poor have no chance unless a guaranteed income becomes a reality, in which case I'll join them

AnnaE

People that have real jobs don't live in poverty.

So flipping burgers and washing dishes aren't "real jobs".
Quote:

Most probably will always be some poverty but we have to get away from the hand out idea and move to hand up. Which will piss off the bureacraps that have made poverty an industry.

Kind of tough when company boards would rather hand bonuses out to their bosses rather than pay the good, hard-working average dude.

taxme
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

million-canadians-living-in-poverty-statcan/" target="_blank">https://tnc.news/2020/02/27/3-2-<br ...verty-statcan/

There will be no more money for Canadians, but there is plenty of money for legal and illegal refugees, and for Trudeau to give away hundreds of thousands of our tax dollars in the form of foreign aid to other useless and worthless hell hole countries and all for free. No need to pay back. This is a gift from me, Emperor Trudeau of Canada land.

If you have anymore refugees to send me to Canada, I will help them to get there, and I will out them up in hotels and feed and clothe them while they waits for their phony and fake immigration hearings as to whether they can get to stay in Canada. Those Canadians that are living on the streets understand, and they have no problem with living on the streets in minus 20 below zero. All Canadians love to show that they care and are willing to sacrifice their tax dollars and end up sleeping on the streets to make sure all legal and illegal so called refugees are kept comfortable, warm, fed, clothed and happy. We Canadians are such suckers, oops, I mean wonderful, caring and loving. fools, oops, I mean people. Aw well, what more can be said about Canadians. A lot. LOL.

spilledthebeer
Quote: Originally Posted by Girth View Post

WELL SURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE PROBLEM IS THAT OUR IDIOT BOY HAS DECIDED THAT PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN PLACES

WHERE CONSERVATIVES GET LOTS OF VOTES.................................

HAVE SOMEHOW RENOUNCED CDN CITIZENSHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND THUS CONSERVATIVES AINT CDNS........................................

AND THEY DONT DESERVE TO BE COUNTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND THEY CAN BE LEFT TO STARVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

Here is an article that will resonate with anybody who is convinced that “no name brands” are generally inferior to name brands - and that LIE-beral gravy grabbing is compromising the health of Cdns!! With some comments of my own in brackets):

'Back at square one:' B.C. Crohn's patient struggles with forced transition to biosimilar medication

More than 12,000 people in B.C. have switched to biosimilar medications since the province announced it would stop funding name brand three drugs

By Glenda Luymes , Vancouver Sun

Published February 10, 2020

For 10 years, Debbie Aschwanden managed the symptoms of Crohn’s disease with a drug called Remicade.

When the provincial government announced it would no longer fund the drug through Pharmacare, she and about 1,700 patients with inflammatory bowel disease were told to switch to a less-expensive copycat drug before March 5.

For two months after she switched, the Williams Lake insurance broker struggled with “horrible” symptoms that felt like a Crohn’s flare-up or a bad flu.

“I was super sick,” said Aschwanden, who has a 13-year-old son. “I had to miss a few days of work even though I tried to push through.”

(It is bad enough to compare no name coffee and other products to their name brand counterparts- how much worse must it be to KNOW that no name brands are NOT preventing your illness!! This switch to low cost and apparently often less effective no name brands is yet another sneaky way for govt to offload health care costs and build up a TWO TIER HEALTH CARE SYSTEM - meaning if you want the good drugs - buy them yourself - if you can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

(Civil service union HOGS and other specially PRIVILEGED GROUPS are insisting that the govt move to a more fully “user pay” health system - which would mean that HOGS would continue getting better drug benefits and etc than the rest of us - paid for by union benefits not available to ordinary Cdns - who could NOT AFFORD to get that better service HOGS DEMAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

(It is bad enough that NO HOG working for any of our FOUR LEVELS of govt in Ontari-owe ever pays a penny of the McGinty LIE-beral health “levy” - all HOGS get it paid for as one of their govt mandated ENTITLEMENTS!! Yet HOGS - as always WANT MORE - they do not wish to line up for rationed health care like the rest of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

She switched to Inflectra first, one of the two biosimilar drugs indicated by the government to replace Remicade. After two infusions, her doctor switched her to another biosimilar called Renflexis, hoping for a better result. So far, she hasn’t had the same symptoms, but she isn’t feeling as healthy as she did while on the original biologic drug.

“After I was diagnosed (with Crohn’s), I was so thankful to find something that helped,” she said. “To have that ripped from under me was really tough. It was like I was back at square one.”

Crohn’s patients were part of a second group of British Columbians who were required to transition their prescriptions to a biosimilar equivalent beginning last year.

In September, the government announced gastroenterology patients across B.C. would have six months to switch their prescription from Remicade to Inflectra or Renflexis.

(One has to ask if govt would be willing to pay a PORTION of the cost of the name brand drug - with the patient picking up part of the tab????????)

The news followed a similar announcement in May, when B.C. became the first Canadian province to stop funding three injectable drugs, including Lantus, Ebrel and Remicade, for non-gastroenterology patients. An estimated 20,000 patients were given until Nov. 25 to switch to biosimilar drugs for diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, plaque psoriasis and several other chronic conditions.

Coverage for the original drugs would only be provided in exceptional cases, decided on a case-by-case basis.

Biosimilars are similar to generic drugs in that they are manufactured after the 20-year patent expires on the original biologics. But they cost 25 to 50 per cent less than the original.

(You get what you pay for- low price equals LOWER QUALITY MAYBE??????)

According to the B.C. Ministry of Health, the province spent $125 million on the three biologic drugs affected by the policy change in 2018, including $84.2 million on Remicade. Since Remicade was approved for sale by the federal government in 2001, the province has spent more than $671 million.

“We know that the use of biosimilars in other countries has worked extremely well in ensuring people get the medication they need, and it’s time we caught up,” Health Minister Adrian Dix said at a news conference in September. “By using biosimilars in B.C., we will be putting about $96.6 million back into health care over the next three years.”

(Uh huh- biosimilars DO “work extremely well” in cutting govt costs -clearly that is the PRIMARY LIE-beral focus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

But critics said the financial gains don’t offset the hardship experienced by patients who are sensitive to prescription changes.

“We’ve heard of dozens and dozens of challenges experienced by people in B.C.,” said Mina Mawani, president and CEO of Crohn’s & Colitis Canada.

She said the charity is aware of 140 Crohn’s patients who have applied for an exemption to receive coverage for Remicade, but only two have been approved. Among those denied was a person with Stage 4 cancer who also has Crohn’s disease and someone with a complex history of anxiety. Several nursing mothers are waiting to hear if their exemption requests will be approved.

(I guess LIE-berals figure the dying stage 4 cancer patient is already suffering enough that it would be CRUEL to subject them to bowel disease as well????????)

“I feel disheartened,” said Mawani. “We’ve been told that patients are simply being emotional about switching. But we know they’re not emotional. This is their life.”

She said Crohn’s & Colitis Canada believes biosimilars are a safe and effective treatment for people with inflammatory bowel disease, but patients and doctors should have a choice.

(No doubt biosimilars ARE SAFE - but anybody who has used a no name brand and then compared it to a premium brand KNOWS there is a USUALLY a quality difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

“The issue is not about starting new patients on the biosimilar drugs. It’s about the government forcing people who are stable to make the switch. What does that do to their health, including their mental health?”

Mawani said the government isn’t able to answer that question because it is not adequately tracking the impact of the switch on individual patients.

(Gosh - no LIE-beral tracking?? Why would they want to have such information that might prove BADLY EMBARRASSING?? And no doubt DOSAGE levels have an influence as well???????)

The Ministry of Health was unable to provide answers to questions about outcomes for people with Crohn’s disease or the number of exceptional requests it has received. Material on its website says B.C. spent nine years studying biosimilars before announcing the switch, consulting with a wide variety of physician and patient groups, as well as regional health authorities and Health Canada.

Figures provided by the Ministry of Health shows that as of Dec. 31, 55 per cent of B.C. patients on Lantus had switched to a biosimilar, while 78 per cent on Enbrel and 73 per cent on Remicade for non-gastrointestinal issues had switched, for a total of 11,930 patients.

Gastroenterology patients were given until March 5 to transition from Remicade to Inflectra or Renflexis. As of Dec. 31, 28 per cent, or 529 people out of 1,858, had switched.

Not everyone is upset about biosimilars, with many B.C. doctors and scientists in favour of them. As a result of the savings, diabetics now receive coverage for an additional drug, Jardiance, which doctors had long advocated.

(Oh - LIE-berals have apparently decided there are more votes to be bought by sucking up to Diabetic patients than Crohns and Colitis sufferers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Dix said he made the switch to a 15 per cent cheaper biosimilar to treat his Type 1 diabetes and there were no negative effects.

(That`s nice- but others report much more NEGATIVE RESULTS from biosimilars - with LIE-berals refusing to track the results!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

captain morgan
+2

Kind of tough when company boards would rather hand bonuses out to their bosses rather than pay the good, hard-working average dude.

That comment is such a cop-out

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

Whose, not who's.

spilledthebeer
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

TRUE DAT CAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our burned out Ember is a TYPICAL civil service union HOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now happily retired rather young and living nicely on that fine govt gravy........................

as is SO COMMON with HOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One has only to look at the retirement life of a typical Ontari-owe teacher.................................

who will spend more time in well heeled RETIREMENT than they did in a CLASS ROOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And as a TYPICAL HOG - burned out Ember blames all the ills of the world on corporate CEO`s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yet the burned out Ember NEVER LOOKS IN HER OWN HOME MIRROR................................

to see the local HOG who is part of a HUGE SWINE HERD...................................

looting and pillaging Canada far more ruthlessly than any company man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With the private sector - I HAVE CHOICES and i can shop around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can drive a nice car - OR BE FRUGAL WITH A RUST BUCKET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or I can park the car and take transit or ride my bicycle etc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If my roof needs fixing - I can save money and do it myself.................................

AND I HAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or I can hire people - either cheaply under the table or legit and get a full warranty etc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can eat cheaply at home.................................

or go to a fast food joint.........................

or get a nice healthy meal at some more costly fancy joint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT WE PAY FOR GOVT SERVICES AT HOG RATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Need water to wash or drink...........................

then PAY THE HOG TOLL - whatever THEY ORDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont like your drinking water contaminated with toxic lead......................

TO BAD - HOGHS WILL REPLACE THE LEAD PIPE IF THEY FEEL LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you own property - then you PAY THE PROPERTY TAX - HOG TOLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Need protection from vandals or thieve etc...............................

govt WILL DECIDE what legal protection you are entitled to............................................

AND IT AINT MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just look at the drunken thieves getting beaten or shot while prowling and trespassing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Need health care- govt HOGS will ration it out to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Govt HOGS are SO ARROGANT -THEY WILL DECIDE WHEN YOU ARE CURED.........................

and they WILL DEFY YOUR DOCTOR regarding your "cure" if they feel like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There was an Ontari-owe guy who had diabetes and he needed a leg amputated below the knee because of poor circulation

and his doctor ordered a "vacuum cure" machine -sort of a suction device to fit over the stump of the leg..................

to induce positive suction and increase blood flow and promote healing.................................

and the guy had it for the HOG SPECIFIED TIME PERIOD...............................

and some HOG came to his house and snatched it away - because THE HOG DECIDED he did not need it any more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And the guys doctor made FURIOUS PROTESTS - that the guy NEEDED the machine to ensure full healing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the guys leg stump HEALED WELL - then he could GO BACK TO WORK AS AN AUTO MECHANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But if the stump healed poorly - meaning WITHOUT THE MACHINE.............................

then the guy would eventually NEED ANOTHER AMPUTATION - higher up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And that second amputation WOULD CRIPPLE HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND TAKE HIM OUT OF THE WORK FORCE PERMANENTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Instead of being useful and EMPLOYED............................

the guy would be just another DISABLED WELFARE RECIPIENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But LOGIC like that cuts NO ICE WITH ENTITLED HOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or we could talk about the old guy who needed a hip replacement.............................

and went on our RATIONED HEALTH CARE LIST WAITING HIS TURN.....................................

and of course HIS SECOND HIP WENT OUT since it was carrying EXTRA STRAIN.................................

and he was still waiting and now riding a wheel chair....................................

problem is he also developed a BAD ARM and that aint going so well either............................................ ....

so now he needs daily IN HOME SERVICE to assist the guy.............................

but the guy worked his way to the top of the list FINALLY......................................

and he fumbled his way into the office in that wheel chair to be inspected by a doctor in preparation for the operations

AND THEY TOLD HIM HE WAS NOW TOO OLD FOR SURGERY AND TO FORGET IT AND GO HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That guy waited SO LONG FOR WORK that he ended up CRIPPLED and unable to tend to himself and got hauled out of his own

little house and dragged off to one of those old folks homes -TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is what happens when LIE-berals and HOGS RATION HEALTH CARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People suffer and fall through the very wide CARE CRACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Need an education so you can get a job.................................

govt HOGS will treat you as a cash cow and milk you dry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you do get your job - govt HOGS decide how much of YOUR MONEY you get to keep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Through your life an average family will pay OVER FIFTY PERCENT OF ITS INCOME TO GOVT HOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And when you DIE - govt HOGS WILL GRAB UP ANOTHER SIXTY PERCENT OF WHATEVER YOU HAVE LEFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND THE WORST OF IT IS THAT HERE IN ONTARI-OWE WE COULD HAVE BETTER HEALTH CARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF ONLY THE HOGS WOULD BE COMPELLED TO PAY THE HEALTH LEVY LIKE THE REST OF US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES- one employed Cdn in three works for govt and NONE OF THE HOGS PAYS THE HEALTH LEVY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It`s a ONE WAY GRAVY TRAIN FOR HOG BENEFIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No others need apply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HarperCons
3.2 million is a lowball number. capitalists always manipulate the way they define poverty in order to make it seem like most people are prospering, which is far from the reality.

pgs
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by HarperCons View Post

3.2 million is a lowball number. capitalists always manipulate the way they define poverty in order to make it seem like most people are prospering, which is far from the reality.

Sorry for your luck .

taxslave
+3

So flipping burgers and washing dishes aren't "real jobs".

No. Flipping burgers is not a real job. It will never ever pay a decent wage for the simple fact that if the price of burgers goes up too much there will be no market, which means no jobs. Now this could change if governments cut back on how much of our paycheques they steal leaving more money for discretionary spending. By the time all forms of taxation are added in most are in the 50% tax range.We need industrial jobs because they can pay a decent wage with benefits.

Walter
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

https://tnc.news/2020/02/27/3-2-mill...verty-statcan/

Finish high school, get a job, get married, have children. Do these things in this order and you won’t end up living in poverty. Single motherhood is the greatest cause of poverty in Canada.

AnnaE

Maybe but it's still accurate.

captain morgan
+1
The comment is a cop out because it's no where near accurate

AnnaE

No. Flipping burgers is not a real job. It will never ever pay a decent wage for the simple fact that if the price of burgers goes up too much there will be no market, which means no jobs. Now this could change if governments cut back on how much of our paycheques they steal leaving more money for discretionary spending. By the time all forms of taxation are added in most are in the 50% tax range.We need industrial jobs because they can pay a decent wage with benefits.

They aren't pretend jobs and are real to me. Just as learning in school is a part of life, starter jobs are real jobs teaching kids about the economical parts of life.
The rest I agree with. Gov't wastes an awful lot. It's one reason why I am a minarchist and dislike representative democracy. I'd rather have small gov't and direct democracy.

AnnaE

The comment is a cop out because it's no where near accurate

meh That's just your opinion. How do you think the wage gap spreads if it isn't by the powers that be spreading profits according to imbalanced scales?

captain morgan
+1
No, it's a fact.

But, you are more than welcome to school all of us with some kind of proof

AnnaE

No, it's a fact.

But, you are more than welcome to school all of us with some kind of proof

Bullshyte.
How do you think the wage gap spreads if it isn't by the powers that be spreading profits according to imbalanced scales?

Walter

They are real jobs to me. Just as learning in school is a part of life, starter jobs are real jobs teaching kids about the economical parts of life.
The rest I agree with. Gov't wastes an awful lot. It's one reason why I am a minarchist and dislike representative democracy. I'd rather have small gov't and direct democracy.

Direct democracy leads to mobocracy as evidenced in France starting July 14, 1789 and ending when Napoleon crowned himself emperor.

Walter

Bullshyte.
How do you think the wage gap spreads if it isn't by the powers that be spreading profits according to imbalanced scales?

Workers at the lower end of the pay scale finally are getting the most benefit from rising wages
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/13/work...ing-wages.html

Wage gap is narrowing in Trump’s economy.

captain morgan
+3

Bullshyte.

Walter brought forward one variable that was a large contributor to poverty - single parenthood.

Further, your assumption that all business' are highly profitable is not accurate.... Take a look at the tax system in this country. Add in the regulatory environment, politics, lobby groups, etc.

The majority of business' in Canada (especially when it comes to employing folks) are small local businesses, the kind where the owners are in there each and every day..... There are no giant profits to be handed out to investors or shareholders - that owner hopes to make enough to pay the bills, inventory, staff, taxes (a myriad of 'em) and maybe enough to raise their family.

AnnaE

Walter brought forward one variable that was a large contributor to poverty - single parenthood.

Further, your assumption that all business' are highly profitable is not accurate.... Take a look at the tax system in this country. Add in the regulatory environment, politics, lobby groups, etc.

The majority of business' in Canada (especially when it comes to employing folks) are small local businesses, the kind where the owners are in there each and every day..... There are no giant profits to be handed out to investors or shareholders - that owner hopes to make enough to pay the bills, inventory, staff, taxes (a myriad of 'em) and maybe enough to raise their family.

That's a lame spin. I didn't assume that, I merely generalized about big biz. And yes, I know specifically, there are those that don't profit in a big way.

And yes, I know about small and medium businesses.