Reusable bags contain bacteria, mould: study

Mowich
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

You cheated. I read this over 20 years ago and asked several camp cooks. Not one got it right.

I went and got a source for back-up, ts but I've known that wooden cutting boards are preferable for decades now, I once worked for a chef who told me about the health issues related to plastic boards. I have a large plastic one but I always put parchment paper, tin foil or plastic wrap on it before any food stuff. I have three wooden ones and after I use them they get washed, spritzed with a mild bleach solution then thoroughly rinsed and left to dry.

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Which cutting board holds the most germs, wood or plastic?

Plastic. Its washed daily in ozonated water.

AnnaE
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

I prefer having my bags as full as possible to cut down on the number I have to carry. I find that the cloth loops on reusable bags are much easier on my hands. Simple as that.

The reusables are usually stronger, too. Many of those wimpy plastic bags have ripped at the handle resulting in contents on the ground or floor.

AnnaE
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

Plastic

"According to Rodale News, expert Dean O. Cliver, PhD from University of California, Davis, conducted research on the subject and found that wood cutting boards contained less salmonella bacteria than plastic. On wood cutting boards, the bacteria sank "down beneath the surface of the cutting board, where they didn’t multiply and eventually died off." On plastic boards, however, bacteria got caught in knife grooves that were near impossible to clean out, whether the board was washed by hand or dishwasher. So while sparkling new plastic cutting boards might be easy to disinfect, any weathered plastic board will hold onto bacteria.'

www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/wood-or-plastic-cutting-board_n_6133318

Plastic is easier to clean, though. Personally, I use hydrogen peroxide on my plastic and wooden boards.