Politics & Corruption - Quebec Construction Industry

Goober
Free Thinker
In 1974 Quebec investigated the industry - The Cliché Commission - Rampant corruption was found - Now the question will arise - How far does it extend and as always little will be done - And it will all come as a suprise to every Policitican in Quebec, now won't it?

Quebec government has announced the creation of a new specialized squad to investigate alleged collusion and corruption in the construction industry. Opération Marteau, French for Operation Hammer, will include 60 provincial police officers, seven new Crown prosecutors and two members of the RCMP, Public Security Minister Jacques Dupuis said Thursday. Quebec's labour and revenue ministers announced they would also table legislation aimed at blocking the access of criminal organizations to the industry.
Quebec Mayor admits accepting cash from construction magnate

Ville Marie borough Mayor Benoit Labonte confessed on Thursday to accepting cash from construction magnate Tony Accurso, one of the executives behind the now-defunct $355-million water-meter contract. But if he was going down, he wasn't going alone, he seemed to say in an exclusive interview with Radio Canada, accusing Montreal Mayor Gerald Tremblay, as well as his own Vision Montreal party candidate Louise Harel, of turning a blind eye to illegal party financing. Speaking from an undisclosed location somewhere in Quebec, Mr. Labonte said he had to accept Mr. Accurso's money because political parties have no choice, but lied about the secret meetings and cash contributions in order to protect Ms. Harel, to whom he offered the party leadership in June.

http://www.canada.com/news/Montreal+...996/story.html

Montreal

Mayor Gerald Tremblay and opposition leaders said a public inquiry must be called if reports of price fixing and collusion for municipal infrastructure projects among Quebec construction firms are confirmed by police. In a report which aired Thursday night on Radio-Canada's investigative news program Enquete, Paul Sauve, president of the masonry company LM Sauve, said a group of contractors nicknamed "the Fabulous 14" control most of the bids in Montreal and have colluded to keep rates high, taking turns "winning" contracts. Construction costs in the Montreal area are 35 per cent higher than they should be because of the price fixing, one entrepreneur who spoke on condition of anonymity told Radio-Canada.

Sparrow
This is nothing new, it has been going on for many years. The Olympic stadium was only a drop in the bucket. I think there is more money being passed under the table than over the table.

bobnoorduyn
Free Thinker
The construction industry is mobbed up, it's not news; news is finding out who the new boss is and finding the body of the last one.

Goober
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post

This is nothing new, it has been going on for many years. The Olympic stadium was only a drop in the bucket. I think there is more money being passed under the table than over the table.

bobnoorduyn In the early 80's I was stationed in Charlottetown - One afternoon I dropped into my favorite bar for burger, fries and a couple of beer - While there I struck up a conversation - He was QPP - transferring a prisoner to the Island - The conversation worked around to corruption and the mafia - He told me about a restaurant owner, large restaurant in Montreal that had repeatedly refused to pay protection money - Next day news headlines - restaurant burns down - arson suspected - It was the same restaurant - Quebec is notorious for the Mafia - Gang wars if you remember - the Rock Machine - and little was done and Quebec is still the power broker in Canada for the Mafia.

bobnoorduyn
Free Thinker
Not the restaraunt in Charlottetown, right?

Goober
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by bobnoorduyn View Post

Not the restaurant in Charlottetown, right?

Read that again - Not the restaurant in Charlottetown.

Sparrow
Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

bobnoorduyn In the early 80's I was stationed in Charlottetown - One afternoon I dropped into my favorite bar for burger, fries and a couple of beer - While there I struck up a conversation - He was QPP - transferring a prisoner to the Island - The conversation worked around to corruption and the mafia - He told me about a restaurant owner, large restaurant in Montreal that had repeatedly refused to pay protection money - Next day news headlines - restaurant burns down - arson suspected - It was the same restaurant - Quebec is notorious for the Mafia - Gang wars if you remember - the Rock Machine - and little was done and Quebec is still the power broker in Canada for the Mafia.

I definitely remember. There is the Italian Mafia which was run by the Catronis, I don't know who run it today. Then the Hell and Rock Machine and a few in between who I cannot remember, but there has always been plenty of them to go around. It is no surprise today that it is coming up again because the province never got rid of all of them and I don't expect them to do it this time either.

Goober
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post

I definitely remember. There is the Italian Mafia which was run by the Catronis, I don't know who run it today. Then the Hell and Rock Machine and a few in between who I cannot remember, but there has always been plenty of them to go around. It is no surprise today that it is coming up again because the province never got rid of all of them and I don't expect them to do it this time either.

Sparrow- Over 150 killed in that gang war - The corruption in the construction industry is not only in Quebec - It is in a number of cites - now with billions flowing the Cons surely do not want a public inquiry - it would taint all manner of people from different parties.