2016 Olympics in Rio


DaSleeper
#1
Gary Mason

Copenhagen — Globe and Mail Update
Last updated on Friday, Oct. 02, 2009 01:05PM EDT


Presented with a choice to play it safe or make history, the International Olympic Association decided today to roll the dice.

In a decision that left the city of Chicago in shock, the IOC voted to award the 2016 Summer Games to the city of Rio de Janeiro, making it the first time the Olympics will be staged in the continent of South America.

In the end it was Rio facing off against Madrid in the final round of voting. Chicago, the city many saw as the favourite, was the first to be bounced from the competition.

It was a stunning repudiation of the glitzy, star-powered production that Chicago put on here. A production that included appearances by Oprah and the two biggest stars on the planet – Michelle and Barack Obama. Many will now be asking why and how the strategy backfired so spectacularly.

Chicagoans will be crushed.



more...

2016 Olympics going to Rio - The Globe and Mail

They must be all racists in Copenhagen.....non?
 
Colpy
#2
Poor Rio.
 
AnnaG
#3
Well, all I can say is what I say about Whistler's Olys ... that it actually doesn't keep us paying through the nose for 40 years like Montreal's Olys.
Good luck to Rio de J.
 
Spade
#4
Are they going to eliminate the favelas?
YouTube - Favela Wars - Brazil
 
Walter
#5
The pick-pockets and the prostituties couldn't be happier.
 
Kreskin
#6
You win some, ya lose some. Congrats to Rio, should be fun to watch.
 
taxslave
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

Poor Rio.

Why poor Rio? I think they are fortunate to get this. Done right like Calgary and Whistler it will be good for the country. B.C. got some much needed infrastructure projects that will be used for at least fifty years that probably would still only be talked about for several years yet. The hardest part if course will be to keep the politicians from squandering all the money on their friends.
 
L Gilbert
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Why poor Rio? I think they are fortunate to get this. Done right like Calgary and Whistler it will be good for the country. B.C. got some much needed infrastructure projects that will be used for at least fifty years that probably would still only be talked about for several years yet. The hardest part if course will be to keep the politicians from squandering all the money on their friends.

Don't you mean "the Lower Mainland got some much needed infrastructure projects that will be used...." that BC paid for and likely will keep paying for for those decades? What's a billion bux? Take it out of petty cash.
 
Tonington
#9
First time in South America. Congrats to the South America as a whole, and Brazil in particular. The football should be amazing to watch. A great big party!
 
Risus
#10
looks good on the yanks and obama to get booted out first round...
 
SirJosephPorter
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by Risus View Post

looks good on the yanks and obama to get booted out first round...


I saw on CNN, Republicans were ecstatic about US not getting the Olympics. I assume out of patriotism they would have liked Chicago to get Olympics. However, hating Obama is more important than getting Olympics for your country.

They regard Chicago not getting Olympics as Obama getting it in the neck; they are spinning it as a big defeat for Obama and the Democrats. It is important to hate Obama; it doesn’t matter if your country doesn’t get Olympics.

Commentary: GOP celebrates U.S. defeat - CNN.com

You may be sure Republicans were rooting for any city but Chicago. They are probably popping champaign corks at Republican headquarters today.

 
Walter
#12
Top 10 Reasons Chicago lost Olympic bid

Ethel C. Fenig
Too, too funny! Too, too true--and so many people believe the number one reason killed it.

Add your own. And thanks to Rich Lowry of NRO for sharing
10. Dead people can't vote at IOC meetings
9. Obama distracted by 25 min meeting with Gen. McChrystal
8. Who cares if Obama couldn't talk the IOC into Chicago? He'll be able to talk Iran out of nukes.
7. The impediment is Israel still building settlements.
6. Obviously no president would have been able to accomplish it.
5. We've been quite clear and said all along that we didn't want the Olympics.
4. This isn't about the number of Olympics "lost", it's about the number of Olympics "saved" or "created".
3. Clearly not enough wise Latina judges on the committee
2. Because the IOC is racist.
1. It's George Bush's fault.
 
taxslave
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

Don't you mean "the Lower Mainland got some much needed infrastructure projects that will be used...." that BC paid for and likely will keep paying for for those decades? What's a billion bux? Take it out of petty cash.

Yes the lower mainland got the lions share of the money and will also reap the lions share of the profits. But they also really needed a lot of the road work and construction. Our construction industry would have tanked two years earlier if not for olympic induced projects. I don't believe that we will be paying for years, that is just scare tactics by the anti everything crowd. You know the same ones that falsely claimed that Expo 86 would be a disaster. Not sure about the interior but the island is getting a significant boost in the economy courtesy of the olympics. Several countries are using Mt.Washington for practice.I think it was somewhere around 1500 people for over a month. Most of them will explore at least the southern portion of the island which spreads money around to places that most people don't even think about like BC ferries and all the suppliers during the slow season. Some will be hard to quantify but it will most certainly not be a financial disaster.
 
Liberalman
#14
Brazil has their summer in our winter time is that when it will be held?
 
YukonJack
#15
"I saw on CNN, Republicans were ecstatic about US not getting the Olympics. I assume out of patriotism they would have liked Chicago to get Olympics. However, hating Obama is more important than getting Olympics for your country.

They regard Chicago not getting Olympics as Obama getting it in the neck; they are spinning it as a big defeat for Obama and the Democrats. It is important to hate Obama; it doesn’t matter if your country doesn’t get Olympics."

SirJosephPorter, we all know, amply proven by your posts that you are a vitriolic and virulent Yankee-hater. Unless those Yanks are Democrats.

But would even you wish the disaster of Montreal 1976 on even the worst of your enemies?

Obama's narcissistic and egotistical efforts ended in well deserved, out-in-the-first-ballot failure.

At least, among his other failures he will not be remembered as the American version of the Mayor who claimed that the Olympics can have a deficit no more than a man can have a baby.

He was lucky. Like a stupid farmer who can, occasionally grow big potatoes.
Last edited by YukonJack; Oct 4th, 2009 at 11:03 AM..
 
Liberalman
#16
The IOC is clearly prejudiced
 
YukonJack
#17
"The IOC is clearly prejudiced"

OF COURSE!!!!

Anyone who does not agree with this immature President-wanna-be is RACIST.
 
#juan
#18
Quote:

Chicagoans will be crushed.

I don't know why Chicagoans would be crushed. They can always apply again, pay off some more officials, and maybe they can get the 2020 party...
 
YukonJack
#19
"I don't know why Chicagoans would be crushed. They can always apply again, pay off some more officials, and maybe they can get the 2020 party..."

Once Obama is booted out after ONE spectacularly failed term, Chicago would have a better chance.
 
Tonington
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

Brazil has their summer in our winter time is that when it will be held?

August 5-21, 2016. Rio is a tropical city, as such the temperature doesn't change a great deal from Austral summer to winter.
 
Liberalman
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by YukonJack View Post

"The IOC is clearly prejudiced"

OF COURSE!!!!

Anyone who does not agree with this immature President-wanna-be is RACIST.

He is not immature and he is the President and the IOC are racist
 
SirJosephPorter
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by YukonJack View Post

"I don't know why Chicagoans would be crushed. They can always apply again, pay off some more officials, and maybe they can get the 2020 party..."

Once Obama is booted out after ONE spectacularly failed term, Chicago would have a better chance.


You wish, YJ, you wish. And who is going to accomplish this miracle, Joan of Arc? No doubt she is going to sweep every state in 2012 (and also I assume Republicans are going to win every Senate and House seat)? Or will there emerge another Messiah?

You live in a delusional world of your own. Anyway, I think you have confidently predicted that Republicans will win back control of House in 2010 and win 60 seats in the senate, let us see how that turns out first, before you are ready to crown Joan of Arc as the next Messiah.
 
AnnaG
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by SirJosephPorter View Post

You wish, YJ, you wish. And who is going to accomplish this miracle, Joan of Arc? No doubt she is going to sweep every state in 2012 (and also I assume Republicans are going to win every Senate and House seat)? Or will there emerge another Messiah?

You live in a delusional world of your own. Anyway, I think you have confidently predicted that Republicans will win back control of House in 2010 and win 60 seats in the senate, let us see how that turns out first, before you are ready to crown Joan of Arc as the next Messiah.

Has this got something to do with the Olys in Rio de?

Rio de Janeiro bid for the 2016 Summer Olympics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
 
Risus
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

Brazil has their summer in our winter time is that when it will be held?

You need to study some geography....
 
catman
#25
They are hosting the 2014 World Cup as well.
 
Trex
#26
Congrats to Brazil.

Obama actually though he could pop in for 20 odd minutes, reel off one of his now generic speeches and completely sew it up for the United States.
I hear the IOC found that attitude at best laughable.
Times are-a-changing.

About time SA got a kick at the can.
Hope they can pull it off.

Trex
 
Kreskin
#27
Not sure what the big deal is. Most countries have never hosted the Olympic Games. The US had it 1984 and 1996. Still a lot of countries that are capable of hosting that haven't and probably should. Yet, everything in this world has some invented political spin..if Obama hadn't tried to speak up he'd be criticized for that as well.
 
Tonington
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

Not sure what the big deal is. Most countries have never hosted the Olympic Games. The US had it 1984 and 1996. Still a lot of countries that are capable of hosting that haven't and probably should. Yet, everything in this world has some invented political spin..if Obama hadn't tried to speak up he'd be criticized for that as well.

Yup. Partisan is all the rage it seems these days. It's been getting steadily worse. I blame the internets. Damn you Al Gore!
 
gopher
+1
#29  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by SirJosephPorter View Post

I saw on CNN, Republicans were ecstatic about US not getting the Olympics. I assume out of patriotism they would have liked Chicago to get Olympics. However, hating Obama is more important than getting Olympics for your country.

They regard Chicago not getting Olympics as Obama getting it in the neck; they are spinning it as a big defeat for Obama and the Democrats. It is important to hate Obama; it doesn’t matter if your country doesn’t get Olympics.

Commentary: GOP celebrates U.S. defeat - CNN.com

You may be sure Republicans were rooting for any city but Chicago. They are probably popping champaign corks at Republican headquarters today.



Yes, the Republicans are laughing because of their hate for Obama. But little do they realize that Luis Lula da Silva is an avowed Marxist who will get billions of dollars for his government from wealthy capitalist companies such as Coca Cola, Adidas, and Visa.

Republicans and Marxists have long been friends and this illustrates it.
 
SirJosephPorter
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

Yes, the Republicans are laughing because of their hate for Obama. But little do they realize that Luis Lula da Silva is an avowed Marxist who will get billions of dollars for his government from wealthy capitalist companies such as Coca Cola, Adidas, and Visa.

Republicans and Marxists have long been friends and this illustrates it.

Doesn’t matter, Gopher. Republicans hate Obama worse than they hate any Marxist (many of them think that Obama is a Marxist anyway). They would much rather a Marxist gets billions of dollars than Chicago (Obama’s home town) get them.
 

Similar Threads

0
4 bidders in race to host 2016 Euros
by china | Mar 11th, 2009
1
Olympics
by china | Aug 8th, 2008
3
Olympics
by china | Apr 6th, 2008
21
Pig Olympics
by I think not | Apr 20th, 2006
13
Olympics
by donvonbra | Aug 16th, 2004