Gun Control is Completely Useless.


cranky
#1201
In order to believe in gun control, you must believe that protect oneself from the armed madman down the street is paranoid, yet disarming every law abiding citizen to prevent the armed madman isn't paranoid.


In order to believe in gun control, you have to believe that there is a correlation between violent gun crimes and the lawfull access of firearms, yet you have to overlook the fact that every year lawful gun owners buy guns by the thousands and the violent gun crime rates continue to go down.
 
Unforgiven
#1202
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

Having had NO experience of the system, you speak of how easy and wonderful and efficient it is.....then have the ignorance to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.

The essence of this is that you are a ****ing moron. You have no clue about the subject on which you have so obviously chosen to troll, you have no clue about weapons, the laws of same..........nor do you have a clue about the concept of liberty, nor about the rights of man.....you are so far out of your depth, you can't even see that you are drowning.

Just like every other lefty moron I've ever met, you cry out for the just society for the people.....whom you mistrust and despise to the point you wish overwhelming control of them.

You don't have the first clue as to what experience I have. Nothing new for you though. It's not easy wonderful and efficient with people going out of their way to screw it up. That's nothing new but all the whining about how you can't get your license because you made a phone call nonsense is pure bunk. I even posted the link to the form you print out fill in and send off. What do you ****ing need for me to fill it out for you and put the stamp on it?

You can't back a dam thing up and you know it. Sling all the **** you want but it still remains, a simple form to fill out and send in. That you continue with you're paranoid ravings about the government wanting to take away all your guns, is just nuts. If the government wants them, you're not going to be shooting anyone to stop them from taking them. Get that through your thick skull now before someone does take a look at all the ranting you do here.

My position is and always has been that a registry is a good way to help reduce guns being transfered into the wrong hands. It can help reduce murders, accidents and suicides and there hasn't been a single argument by the lot of you that has ever disputed any of that. So don't piss on my shoe and tell me it's raining. Only those who can act in a responsible manner should be allowed to own or have a gun. If that is too much of a burden for you then pack it in.
 
cranky
-1
#1203
"help reduce...." doesn't cut it anymore. Either the registry has or it hasn't. Your opinion doesn't matter anymore.
 
Colpy
Conservative
#1204
Quote: Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post

You don't have the first clue as to what experience I have. Nothing new for you though. It's not easy wonderful and efficient with people going out of their way to screw it up. That's nothing new but all the whining about how you can't get your license because you made a phone call nonsense is pure bunk. I even posted the link to the form you print out fill in and send off. What do you ****ing need for me to fill it out for you and put the stamp on it?

You can't back a dam thing up and you know it. Sling all the **** you want but it still remains, a simple form to fill out and send in. That you continue with you're paranoid ravings about the government wanting to take away all your guns, is just nuts. If the government wants them, you're not going to be shooting anyone to stop them from taking them. Get that through your thick skull now before someone does take a look at all the ranting you do here.

My position is and always has been that a registry is a good way to help reduce guns being transfered into the wrong hands. It can help reduce murders, accidents and suicides and there hasn't been a single argument by the lot of you that has ever disputed any of that. So don't piss on my shoe and tell me it's raining. Only those who can act in a responsible manner should be allowed to own or have a gun. If that is too much of a burden for you then pack it in.

The handgun registration was ****ed before the new LGR system.....and NOT registering has not ****ed it up .....THINK, if so many fewer than 100% have been submitted for registration, and THAT is screwed......how screwed would it be if millions MORE were submitted? How about another couple of billion dollars??

GEEZUS Man, THINK. You are not even making sense.......

The government has slated hundreds of thousands of weapons for seizure..............all handguns with barrels of less than 105 mm, all .32 and .25 cal handguns, all military type semi-autos............ALREADY IN THE LAW......gone with the death of the owner. Dozens of firearms types have already been seized. Either you know these FACTS, and are being disingenuous........or you are proving (once again) that you don't know what you are talking about.

The Liberals promise continuing tough gun control. The NDP introduced a "compromise" bill (love the double-think) that is worse than the current Firearms Act. The Bloc want handguns and semi-automatics banned and seized...........which was the platform of both the NDP and the Liberals in the last election.

So tell me, how stupid do you have to be to think the government ISN'T coming to get your guns??????

No, let me tell you.....you have to be a complete drooling moron, or completely ignorant of the facts.

Which are you???????

The fact that you stick with an opinion so easily shown to be without merit speaks volumes about your intellect.....or lack thereof. Here's a bulletin for you......The registry has been in place for eight years........The murder rate has not dropped! Although you'd know that if you had the slightest clue what you were talking about. In fact the murder rate is slightly higher than it was in 2002.....and peaked in 2005, two years AFTER the completion of the registry.

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But, I know, you've made up your mind and I probably shouldn't confuse you with FACTS, of which you know (nor care) little.

AND FINALLY....it is my right to be armed, and you, the gov't, and anyone else can go fuc k themselves if they think otherwise.
Last edited by Colpy; Apr 25th, 2011 at 08:59 PM..
 
cranky
+1 / -1
#1205
yep, every time a punk in Toronto pulls out a handgun and shoots someone, the Liberals don't blame an 80 year old handgun registry, they blame hunters and farmers in western Canada for refusing to register their long range rifles. how friggin ignorant is that, eh?
 
Colpy
Conservative
+1
#1206
Quote: Originally Posted by cranky View Post

yep, every time a punk in Toronto pulls out a handgun and shoots someone, the Liberals don't blame an 80 year old handgun registry, they blame hunters and farmers in western Canada for refusing to register their long range rifles. how friggin ignorant is that, eh?

And the bastards, having screwed us for handguns and semi-autos, are already moving on.....go to the site for the Coalition for Gun Control.....and they are talking about sniper rifles.

What is the difference between a USMC 7.62 Remington sniper rifle and my Remington deer rifle?

NONE!

Register them, and you WILL lose them.
 
DaSleeper
#1207
Colpy: Don't ever throw away paperwork of old firearm transactions.......Three years ago they send me a letter (at least they didn't send the police) asking me why I hadn't re-registered a .22 derringer I had when I was 23 years old.
That gun had been sold a couple of years later and I still had the paperwork.....so I gave them a call and managed to get a hold of the one that sent me the letter and when I told him I had proof he asked me to send it in....to which I replied no way, but before I send a certified photocopy, I asked him to check on the name I had on my papers.... and of course it was registered to that name too....They had never bothered to cross reference the serial number.
I asked him to do that since it was already registered to at least two people and while I didn't know who he had sold it to, I knew it had been sold again.......But he just apologised for bothering me and hung up and I never heard anymore about that one....
I also ran into problems re-registering a Harrington & Richardson 28 gauge shotgun pistol that they figured might be a sawed-off.....but that's another story....I think I mentioned it before
 
cranky
+1 / -1
#1208
gun control advocates aren't anti gun, nope! because they are in favor of guns in the hands of police and military,

gun control advocates aren't pro-security, because they don't care about the citizen that has to protect himself or his neighbor

gun control advocates aren't pro-rights, because they only oppose the private ownership of guns by properly trained and properly screened officials.

In fact, what is left?......oh yeah.........gun control advocates are strictly anti-rights activists.
 
petros
#1209
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

And the bastards, having screwed us for handguns and semi-autos, are already moving on.....go to the site for the Coalition for Gun Control.....and they are talking about sniper rifles.

What is the difference between a USMC 7.62 Remington sniper rifle and my Remington deer rifle? NONE

You really need a Tikka or a Sako.
 
Unforgiven
+1
#1210
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

The handgun registration was ****ed before the new LGR system.....and NOT registering has not ****ed it up .....THINK, if so many fewer than 100% have been submitted for registration, and THAT is screwed......how screwed would it be if millions MORE were submitted? How about another couple of billion dollars??

GEEZUS Man, THINK. You are not even making sense.......

The government has slated hundreds of thousands of weapons for seizure..............all handguns with barrels of less than 105 mm, all .32 and .25 cal handguns, all military type semi-autos............ALREADY IN THE LAW......gone with the death of the owner. Dozens of firearms types have already been seized. Either you know these FACTS, and are being disingenuous........or you are proving (once again) that you don't know what you are talking about.

The Liberals promise continuing tough gun control. The NDP introduced a "compromise" bill (love the double-think) that is worse than the current Firearms Act. The Bloc want handguns and semi-automatics banned and seized...........which was the platform of both the NDP and the Liberals in the last election.

So tell me, how stupid do you have to be to think the government ISN'T coming to get your guns??????

No, let me tell you.....you have to be a complete drooling moron, or completely ignorant of the facts.

Which are you???????

The fact that you stick with an opinion so easily shown to be without merit speaks volumes about your intellect.....or lack thereof. Here's a bulletin for you......The registry has been in place for eight years........The murder rate has not dropped! Although you'd know that if you had the slightest clue what you were talking about. In fact the murder rate is slightly higher than it was in 2002.....and peaked in 2005, two years AFTER the completion of the registry.

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But, I know, you've made up your mind and I probably shouldn't confuse you with FACTS, of which you know (nor care) little.

AND FINALLY....it is my right to be armed, and you, the gov't, and anyone else can go fuc k themselves if they think otherwise.

Sure you can be armed but you have to abide the rules. If you can't or won't **** off and go without or rot your ass of in jail same dif to me.

You can't say that the gun registry has had no effect on a police call to a domestic disturbance in telling the police if there is or isn't guns in the home.

And for your edification the murder rate has been dropping.

In the end you can do as you please. But should you break the law, you're going to pay the price whether it's fines, confiscation due to irresponsibility, or capped by sharp shooters when you leave the farm. Choose your path but remember it's your choice.
 
ironsides
No Party Affiliation
#1211
Now is the time to demand the right to own firearms, the liberals are to weak and timid to stand up to you. Exert your Earth given power to own firearms and stop the illegal liberal stealing of expensive personal property upon death. Yes, I am saying complete your evolution to nation hood. Long live the revolution.
 
cranky
-1
#1212
Nice, unf gave my posts a thumbs down, but cowarded away from responding to them.

On your bike, unf!
 
Colpy
Conservative
#1213
Quote: Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post

Sure you can be armed but you have to abide the rules. If you can't or won't **** off and go without or rot your ass of in jail same dif to me.

You can't say that the gun registry has had no effect on a police call to a domestic disturbance in telling the police if there is or isn't guns in the home.

And for your edification the murder rate has been dropping.

In the end you can do as you please. But should you break the law, you're going to pay the price whether it's fines, confiscation due to irresponsibility, or capped by sharp shooters when you leave the farm. Choose your path but remember it's your choice.

Sure....and you obey the rules about dope smoking.

I can, and will say the registry has NO effect on a police call to a domestic disturbance.........any officer that approaches a domestic differently because the residence has no registered weapons is seeking a Darwin Award........AND statistically, the officer is actually LESS apt to be shot by a licensed, armed citizen than by a citizen taken at random.........

The murder rate is dropping from a peak in 2005, and is still higher than it was in 2002 and before. The registry was "complete" January 1 2003. The murder rate went UP at the completion of the registry.

And like I said, remember your ultimate respect for the law next time you spark one up....
 
cranky
-1
#1214
The murder rate of non firearm and firearm are trending the same. You would need to see a unique trend for the registry to be given any credit

Nice. I just got neg'd again by unf. He still hasn't posted any response.
 
TenPenny
+1
#1215
Quote: Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post

You can't say that the gun registry has had no effect on a police call to a domestic disturbance in telling the police if there is or isn't guns in the home.

The gun registry does not tell the police there aren't guns in a home, how could that be possible?
 
Unforgiven
#1216
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

Sure....and you obey the rules about dope smoking.

I don't smoke dope. I enjoy Cannabis.

Quote:

I can, and will say the registry has NO effect on a police call to a domestic disturbance.........any officer that approaches a domestic differently because the residence has no registered weapons is seeking a Darwin Award........AND statistically, the officer is actually LESS apt to be shot by a licensed, armed citizen than by a citizen taken at random.........

That is the attitude that has lead to the consensus among police that it's best to brutalize and use excessive force even if unwarranted just in case. Which in turn leads to criminals getting reduced sentences, cases being thrown out all together and the police being sued which costs us money in their defence.

If someone is known to have firearms in the home while a domestic call has been made then there is reason to use extra caution in relation to that knowledge. If there isn't a registered gun in the home then while the safety of everyone should be first and foremost, there isn't a need to go in guns blazing to take down everyone the hard way.
I don't expect you to understand that with the paranoid traits you exhibit here, but you should accept that most people aren't armed and crazy.

Quote:

The murder rate is dropping from a peak in 2005, and is still higher than it was in 2002 and before. The registry was "complete" January 1 2003. The murder rate went UP at the completion of the registry.

So it is working then. Why is it that you like a number of other gun nuts thought all crime was expected to cease the day the bill was given royal accent?

Quote:

And like I said, remember your ultimate respect for the law next time you spark one up....

If I "sparked on up" and you shot someone, which would be the worse offense?

Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

The gun registry does not tell the police there aren't guns in a home, how could that be possible?

It can't. I stand corrected. It can only tell them of a likelihood of firearms in the home.

Quote: Originally Posted by cranky View Post

The murder rate of non firearm and firearm are trending the same. You would need to see a unique trend for the registry to be given any credit

Nice. I just got neg'd again by unf. He still hasn't posted any response.

Quit cheer leading and the negative reps will end. Simple isn't it. Now if you don't mind, there are people actually raising points in this and other threads.
 
Colpy
Conservative
#1217
Quote: Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post


So it is working then. Why is it that you like a number of other gun nuts thought all crime was expected to cease the day the bill was given royal accent?

.

The facts:

Canada Murder Rates.......

2000 1.59
2001 1.67
2002 1.67
REGISTRATION COMPLETE
2003 1.74
2004 1.95
2005 2.05
2006 1.86
2007 1.80
2008 1.83
2009 1.81

Kinda proves my point: if you think the above figures support the contention that the registry prevents murder....I suggest you quit "enjoying cannabis"....permanently.

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW, we didn't expect an immediate decrease in murder........we expected either an increase or no change. And we got an increase.

The registry is obviously useless.
 
mentalfloss
#1218
Quote: Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post

If I "sparked on up" and you shot someone, which would be the worse offense?

Any sane person would choose the latter. This is why, even if you are pro-gun, on the priority sequence of civil liberties, you should be pro-drugs first. Naturally, we should want to give freedom to pacifist liberties before dangerous liberties.

I will give Colpy the benefit of the doubt in that a civil liberty shouldn't be taken away without a valid rationale.
 
petros
#1219
Quote:

If I "sparked on up" and you shot someone, which would be the worse offense?

That is an easy one to answer for Colpy. It depends who he shot.
 
Colpy
Conservative
#1220
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Any sane person would choose the latter. This is why, even if you are pro-gun, on the priority sequence of civil liberties, you should be pro-drugs first. Naturally, we should want to give freedom to pacifist liberties before dangerous liberties.

I will give Colpy the benefit of the doubt in that a civil liberty shouldn't be taken away without a valid rationale.

There is no right to smoke dope above and beyond your right to do what you wish.

The possession of arms is an ancient right, recognized as such for hundreds, if not thousands of years, and enshrined in the English Bill of Rights.

In the hierarchy of rights (if there is such a thing) my right to be armed is WAY above your right to get high.

You see, democracy and gunpowder are parallel developments. One would not have existed in the modern world without the other.
 
petros
#1221
Democacy is the worst possible political system for the people although it's wonderful for the corrupt. What that has to do with long gun registry is baffling.
 
mentalfloss
#1222
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

There is no right to smoke dope above and beyond your right to do what you wish.

The possession of arms is an ancient right, recognized as such for hundreds, if not thousands of years, and enshrined in the English Bill of Rights.

In the hierarchy of rights (if there is such a thing) my right to be armed is WAY above your right to get high.

Doesn't make sense, sorry.

An older right does not automatically make the right more credible. Your logic forces you to accept slavery as a higher priority than possession of arms since that right existed long before possession of arms did.

You can either admit that your logic is flawed, or that you're a hypocrite, or that you now support slavery.

It's your choice.
 
petros
#1223
I want slaves growing my dope at gun point!
 
Unforgiven
#1224
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

The facts:

Canada Murder Rates.......

2000 1.59
2001 1.67
2002 1.67
REGISTRATION COMPLETE
2003 1.74
2004 1.95
2005 2.05
2006 1.86
2007 1.80
2008 1.83
2009 1.81

Kinda proves my point: if you think the above figures support the contention that the registry prevents murder....I suggest you quit "enjoying cannabis"....permanently.

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW, we didn't expect an immediate decrease in murder........we expected either an increase or no change. And we got an increase.

The registry is obviously useless.

How many are by firearms? Do you even know? If stabbings go up and gsw go down does that still mean it's not working? It doesn't prove your point at all. Show me where murders, accidents and suicides by firearms is going up and then we can discuss.
 
mentalfloss
#1225
Quote: Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post

How many are by firearms? Do you even know? If stabbings go up and gsw go down does that still mean it's not working? It doesn't prove your point at all. Show me where murders, accidents and suicides by firearms is going up and then we can discuss.

I've always heard that there is a pro-gun stats argument. I would be more inclined to be on board if I could see a direct correlation between the increase of freedom and less deaths caused by gun abuse. This would also have to be a pretty universal stat and not just something that relates to Canada - because it otherwise could just be a huge fluke.
 
petros
#1226
Who is more likely to lose a finger? Someone who uses power tools or someone who doesn't?
 
DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
#1227
If gun crime is going down due to the registry, isn't it about time that we strip front line cops of their firearms? Far is fair, that's how it's done in Britain and they don't seem to be having cops slaughtered.
 
Unforgiven
#1228
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Any sane person would choose the latter. This is why, even if you are pro-gun, on the priority sequence of civil liberties, you should be pro-drugs first. Naturally, we should want to give freedom to pacifist liberties before dangerous liberties.

I will give Colpy the benefit of the doubt in that a civil liberty shouldn't be taken away without a valid rationale.

No one is saying they should be taken away. Only regulated so that only the trained responsible people can access guns.

No one has a huge problem with the government requiring cars to be registered. Drivers to be licensed, vehicles inspected. But if it's a gun then all the arguments start. When did the government come a take away all the cars?
 
petros
#1229
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post

If gun crime is going down due to the registry, isn't it about time that we strip front line cops of their firearms? Far is fair, that's how it's done in Britain and they don't seem to be having cops slaughtered.

Use of smuggled firearms in the UK has skyrocketed.
 
Unforgiven
#1230
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

I've always heard that there is a pro-gun stats argument. I would be more inclined to be on board if I could see a direct correlation between the increase of freedom and less deaths caused by gun abuse. This would also have to be a pretty universal stat and not just something that relates to Canada - because it otherwise could just be a huge fluke.

Since 1995 violent crime involving long guns has dropped by half. Accidents and suicides also reduced.
Stats can be messaged to give a preferred appearance by for example saying "murders" instead of violent crime involving long guns. But when you dig for the truth and present that, some people get pissy about it.

Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post

If gun crime is going down due to the registry, isn't it about time that we strip front line cops of their firearms? Far is fair, that's how it's done in Britain and they don't seem to be having cops slaughtered.

Handguns are a different story. Preferred weapon of choice in Toronto is the 9mm, 40mm, 45mm, and then shot gun.
All freely available just south of the border.