Treasure hunter unearths hoard of Anglo-Saxon coins worth £10,000

Blackleaf
A treasure hunter has unearthed a haul of ancient gold coins, thought to have been buried with an Anglo-Saxon king nearly 1,500 years ago.

Chris Kutler, 54, stumbled upon the coins after spending four days searching a 1,600 sq metre field in Chelmsford, Essex.

The hoard has now been sent to the British Museum for analysis and valuation, but it's thought they could be worth up to £10,000 ($13,000).

Talk about striking gold! Treasure hunter unearths a hoard of 1,500-year-old Anglo Saxon coins worth up to £10,000 in a field in Chelmsford

Chris Kutler, 54, stumbled upon the coins after searching a field for four days

The coins date back to the Dark Ages, around 620-640AD

They are classed as a hoard, which is linked to high status, or even Royal burials

The hoard has now been sent to the British Museum for analysis and valuation, but it's thought they could be worth up to £10,000

By Shivali Best For Mailonline
23 November 2017

A treasure hunter has unearthed a haul of ancient gold coins, thought to have been buried with an Anglo-Saxon king nearly 1,500 years ago.

Chris Kutler, 54, stumbled upon the coins after spending four days searching a 1,600 sq metre field in Chelmsford, Essex.

The hoard has now been sent to the British Museum for analysis and valuation, but it's thought they could be worth up to £10,000 ($13,000).

A treasure hunter has unearthed a haul of ancient gold coins, thought to have been buried with an Anglo-Saxon King nearly 1,500 year ago

Mr Kutler said: 'It is kind of the Holy Grail of metal detectoring. It was an incredible feeling to find the coins.

'When I found the first, I thought it was a wasp.

'I got a flash of yellow and threw it back but then I realised what it was.

'It was the best feeling in the world, especially after four days of hard work.'

Mr Kutler, who has been metal detectoring for more than 25 years, also found rare Anglo-Saxon coins at the same site 18 years ago, which are now housed at the British Museum.

He chose to go back after reading an article which suggested more coins would be still in the ground.

The coins are significantly smaller than those that we use today, and are from the Dark Ages, around 620-640AD

Mr Kutler said: 'I decided to rake the top soil off and get down to the compact soil [underneath], and scanned the area off in 100 square metres, and did every one individually.

'I thought I really need to do it because this is the last time I am going to do it. I needed to go back.

'I have already been back and searched the area thoroughly and nothing has come up.'

The coins are classed as a hoard, which is usually associated with high status, or even royal burials

Chris Kutler, 54, stumbled upon the coins after spending four days searching a 1,600 sq metre field in Chelmsford, Essex

The coins are from the Dark Ages, around 620-640AD, and are classed as a hoard, which is usually associated with high status, or even Royal burials.

Mr Kutler said: 'I started collected data about place names, I would locate the name of the place, and field names often indicate archaeological activity.

'If you find one coin there are probably many.'

Mr Kutler said: 'I started collected data about place names, I would locate the name of the place, and field names often indicate archaeological activity. If you find one coin there are probably many'

The coins, called Tremissis, that Mr Kutler found earlier this month and nearly twenty years ago were used by the Merovingians who ruled over what we know as France today, and also beyond towards Saxony

The coins, called Tremissis, that Mr Kutler found earlier this month and nearly twenty years ago were used by the Merovingians who ruled over what we know as France today, and also beyond towards Saxony.

According to law, treasure is 'two or more coins from the same find, at least 300 years old, and contain at least 10 per cent gold.'

It will take up to a year for the British Museum to complete their assessment of the coins.

Mr Kutler stumbled upon the coins after spending four days searching a 1,600 sq metre field in Chelmsford, Essex

ANGLO SAXON CEMETERY FOUND IN WILTSHIRE

Last year, archaeologists unearthed a cemetery of about 150 graves holding beautiful grave goods, including an intricate comb, jewellery, a 'sewing box' and intriguing shells in Bulford, Wiltshire in April.

There were also indications the site has been of spiritual significance for 5,000 years with collections of Neolithic goods suggesting it may also have been an important burial site for Stone Age man.

Last year, archaeologists unearthed a cemetery of about 150 graves holding beautiful grave goods, including an intricate comb, jewellery, a 'sewing box' and intriguing shells in Bulford, Wiltshire in April

Experts at Wessex Archaeology excavated the site, earmarked for 227 new Army family homes. It is around four miles from the famous Stonehenge circle.

Investigations revealed 150 graves from the mid-Anglo-Saxon period in England, with one grave dated to between AD 660 and 780.

This grave held the remains of an Anglo Saxon woman who died in her mid to late 20s and was laid to rest with two boxes and a cowrie shell.

Read more: Treasure hunter unearths 1,500-year-old Anglo Saxon coins | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Last edited by Blackleaf; Nov 25th, 2017 at 06:13 AM..

Curious Cdn
The German invaders brought the loot with them from France, eh?

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

The German invaders brought the loot with them from France, eh?

"Loot" implies that it was stolen.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

"Loot" implies that it was stolen.

It probably was. It was buried on stolen land.

Blackleaf

It probably was. It was buried on stolen land.

A Canadian banging on about people stealing other people's land is rather like Jean-Claude Juncker accusing Father Jack of being a foul-mouthed drunkard.

Murphy
Don't lash out. One of the reasons the British are being made over is their tendancy to steal that which does not belong to them. Nature doesn't like imbalances.

Curious Cdn

A Canadian banging on about people stealing other people's land is rather like Jean-Claude Juncker accusing Father Jack of being a foul-mouthed drunkard.

Canadians didn't steal other people's land. The British did and then ceded the land to a fledgeling Canada long after the crime.

When this hoard was thought to have been buried, the Saxon invaders had only been in England for about three generations. They would have seen themselves as "continental" still. England was more like a pirate base for them.

Blackleaf

Canadians didn't steal other people's land. The British did and then ceded the land to a fledgeling Canada long after the crime.

It was your ancestors, not ours.

Quote:

When this hoard was thought to have been buried, the Saxon invaders had only been in England for about three generations. They would have seen themselves as "continental" still. England was more like a pirate base for them.

What invaders? The Anglo-Saxons weren't invaders. The Romans and Normans and Celts were, but not the Anglo-Saxons.

Curious Cdn

It was your ancestors, not ours.

That's true. The smart and ambitious ones headed out into the unknown leaving the stupid and lazy behind them.

Well, we DID get Walter. Some numbers of riff-raff did manage to wash up on our shores along with the honest migrants.
Last edited by Curious Cdn; Nov 25th, 2017 at 10:25 AM..

Blackleaf

That's true. The smart and ambitious ones headed out into the unknown leaving the stupid and lazy behind them.

And they stole other people's land.

Curious Cdn

What invaders? The Anglo-Saxons weren't invaders. The Romans and Normans and Celts were, but not the Anglo-Saxons.

Their contract wasn't quite so "open ended".

It's interesting to see the genome maps of your island. If you look at the mitochondrail DNA that is passed from mother to daughter, there is a family continuous trail going right back into the native population of Britain. The Y-chromosonal line, passed from father to son is abruptly discontinuous and in England, comes from Continental Germans. So, the Anglo Saxons killed all of the native men and took their women.

How do YOU define "invader"?

And they stole other people's land.

The Redcoats stole other people's lives and and then parcelled it out to the settlers, quite systematically, in this country.

Blackleaf

Their contract wasn't quite so "open ended".

It's strange how you start banging on about "invaders" and "stealing other people's land" whenever there's an article on the Anglo-Saxons (who were invited over) but never whenever there's an article about those great invaders of Britain: the Celts, Romans, Normans and Danes.

Quote:

It's interesting to see the genome maps of your island. If you look at the mitochondrail DNA that is passed from mother to daughter, there is a family continuous trail going right back into the native population of Britain. The Y-chromosonal line, passed from father to son is abruptly discontinuous and in England, comes from Continental Germans. So, the Anglo Saxons killed all of the native men and took their women.

How do YOU define "invader"?

So the Anglo-Saxons somehow managed to kill every man living in England?
Quote:

The Redcoats stole other people's lives and and then parcelled it out to the settlers, quite systematically, in this country.

And what thanks do we get today? None, that's what. Your ingratitude is breathtaking.

Curious Cdn

So the Anglo-Saxons somehow managed to kill every man living in England?

The ones that didn't escape as refugees to Wales, Cornwall, Brittany and Ireland,... yes.

And what thanks do we get today? None, that's what. Your ingratitude is breathtaking.

Your thanks lies under 100,000+ white headstones in France, Belgium, Holland, Italy and Germany.

MHz
Is the gold worth more than the coin or should I get a 3D printer??

Murphy
There is no thanks to be given. The English were polluting other cultures. Because their genes had begun to spread, in stepped Mother Nature. She realized the inferiority, and took corrective action.

As a result, Britain's interference with other cultures was stopped. Nations broke away. The EU rejected you and has now isolated you.

These are all steps in your genetic makeover.

As you disappear, you will call out for help, but it will be rejected. Yours is a toxic existence.

And remember, it's not hate that's shutting you down. It's our natural world.

Blackleaf

The ones that didn't escape as refugees to Wales, Cornwall, Brittany and Ireland,... yes.

Oh, I forgot. You're a world-renowned expert on those super-muderous Anglo-Saxons.

Quote:

Your thanks lies under 100,000+ white headstones in France, Belgium, Holland, Italy and Germany.

There is no thanks: Just endless begrudgery that the British founded Canada whilst continuing to live there as a Canadian. You don't have to stay Canadian. Become something else if it bothers you so much. If not I would like you to start showing more appreciation to those wonderful, brave Britons who tossed the Red Indians off their land and gave it to you so that you can enjoy it.

Curious Cdn

Oh, I forgot. You're a world-renowned expert on those super-muderous Anglo-Saxons.

There is no thanks: Just endless begrudgery that the British founded Canada whilst continuing to live there as a Canadian. You don't have to stay Canadian. Become something else if it bothers you so much. If not I would like you to start showing more appreciation to those wonderful, brave Britons who tossed the Red Indians off their land and gave it to you so that you can enjoy it.

How pathetic.

Another spent empire trying to re-capture long lost glory...

Murphy
There is no thanks to be given. The English were polluting other cultures. Indigenous people were here before the British arrived and began spreading inferior DNA and diseases here. Because their negative influence had begun to spread, in stepped Mother Nature. She realized the inferiority, and took corrective action.

As a result, Britain's interference with other cultures was stopped. Nations broke away. The EU rejected, and has now isolated you.

As you disappear, you will call out for help, but it will be rejected. Yours is a toxic existence.

Blackleaf

How pathetic.

It's true.

Murphy
You're in denial now. That's normal. As you come you accept your destiny, calm will replace your anger.

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

There is no thanks to be given. The English were polluting other cultures. Because their genes had begun to spread, in stepped Mother Nature. She realized the inferiority, and took corrective action.

As a result, Britain's interference with other cultures was stopped. Nations broke away. The EU rejected you and has now isolated you.

Their tendency to whitewash the past is probably why they have been such pricks in their entire history. They are from EU Royals after all and all of them would be extinct if they had to wipe their own ass.
They can't even come clean on the opium wars where they did try to destabilize China through cheap heroin but the 6 tons that made it back to England was just for the royals and their closest (criminal) friends. (a pattern that still exists today)

The fur trade was the first war against the Indians in Canada. Farming was the last phase of the same war.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

Their tendency to whitewash the past is probably why they have been such pricks in their entire history.

Like ridding the world of Nazism, much Communism and Napoleonism; spreading democracy and freedom of speech; and founding Canada?

Quote:

They are from EU Royals after all and all of them would be extinct if they had to wipe their own ass.
They can't even come clean on the opium wars where they did try to destabilize China through cheap heroin but the 6 tons that made it back to England was just for the royals and their closest (criminal) friends. (a pattern that still exists today)

The Chinese were the wrong'uns in the Opium Wars, not the British. You've been reading too much of the anti-British, propagandised, fictional version of the Opium Wars that dominates today.

Curious Cdn

Like ridding the world of Nazism, much Communism and Napoleonism; spreading democracy and freedom of speech; and founding Canada?

The Chinese were the wrong'uns in the Opium Wars, not the British. You've been reading too much of the anti-British, propagandised, fictional version of the Opium Wars that dominates today.

Maybe the Fentanyl crisis is their answer to your opium.

Blackleaf

Maybe the Fentanyl crisis is their answer to your opium.

China didn't want to buy British opium that would have ended being used by its people - it was busy buying hundreds of tons of Indian opium for its people to use.

Curious Cdn

China didn't want to buy British opium that would have ended being used by its people - it was busy buying hundreds of tons of Indian opium for its people to use.

Don't try to convince me. Convince those 1.3 billion Chinese, poised to become the most powerful people on the planet, who hate your pommy asses.

Murphy

I wonder who's been writing your history? Obviously, no one with knowledge of it. Britain was almost consumed by all three. You were rescued. Like you always are. You are not capable of looking after yourselves and that is why your DNA blueprint is being overwritten. As a people, you're a wreck.

I know that you are in the denial phase of this. Lying will not change anyone's mind.

No, the British stuck their noses into something which was none of their concern. What were you doing so far from home? Stealing. Looting. Taking whatever you could lay your hands on. When things weren't going your way, you decided to throw a fit. How did that work out for you?

It's unbelievable what they taught you in your schools.

Your entire culture is built on lies.

MHz

You are not spreading freedom of speech for anybody but yourselves. That is what you do when carving out an empire that the sun never sets on. When you operate in the 20th century using 15th century methods the odds are very high it is now less than being the best method available.

When you say 'founding' that indicates where left the nest at some point. That isn't the case at all, when the UK says 'jump' we say 'how high?'. Making it appear like we have an an independent voice is a bit of a sham is it it not?? We have certain friends that we seem to be willing to defend not matter how immoral their behavior is.

I haven't been reading anything other than the way the UK publishes their headlines that are intended for public consumption and their is a high tendency to be less than fully honest with the public. That is not a trait that has recently been acquired so that means it has a history of being used to deceive the public as they would not support the 'King' going off on wars to help his friends get richer than they already are, material wealth is what the EU Royals are all about.
Let's be a bit clear about the past, the royals had access to all sorts of 'drugs' that were not available to the general public. The only version of the (original) opium wars is what the UK has published. How about some history of drug use in the 'elite' of not only the UK but the rest of Europe as well. I'm quite sure that is today's tactics were used back then there would be more 'False Flags' used as a scare tactic to get support from 'the surfs'. By stating there is no hidden history you are stating an opinion rather than a fact. The 2 page pdf points to the Royals using drugs, a bit more digging will show is was more common than not. About the same path that tobacco once it was introduced to the Royals back in the motherland.

I have no idea if there are documents to support my opinion or not.This too me about 3 seconds to find and to try and promote the EU weren't as party hungry as any Viking is bullshit. What they did do is put on a false front for the surfs and the Vikings never bothered with any deception.
http://www.larouchepub.com/eiw/publi..._did_use_d.pdf

10 seconds The last bit seem to be describing the Royals as acting like the same drug dealers from the UK that have an interest in the heroin in Afghanistan. If it was suppressed earlier and the RCC would have been punishing the flock rather than the leaders of the countries. This is a better history of opium use by the Royals in Europe. Long before China was getting boatloads of the stuff thanks to the UK. The same tactics are in use today when dealing with other nations based current trends. Perhaps your history books need a rewrite.

Drugs through time: Drugs and the laws that control them through history | TalkingDrugs
Drugs Through Time: 1500-1799

1500s
In the 16th century, the Mughal empire in India plays host to the world’s first recorded culture of recreational opium use- taking drugs for leisure and pleasure. Opium is exported to other Asian states, with production organised under a government monopoly.
The renaissance physician and alchemist Paracelsus reintroduces opium into Europe in the form of Laudanum, a tincture of opium in an alcohol solution. During the high Middle Ages, the Inquisition had apparently succeeded in suppressing the use of this drug, for it largely disappears from the cultural record. As a substance signified as 'oriental', opium was viewed by the Inquisition as bearing the taint of heresy. Perhaps its use was driven underground. In any event, with the advent of the renaissance it is reinstated into European medical literature, and is referred to in the works of Shakespeare and Spenser.
English trading ships chartered by Queen Elizabeth commence the importation of Indian Opium into the UK.
1625-1680
Thomas Sydenham, amongst the most celebrated of early English medical practitioners, receives the epithet 'opiophilos' or 'lover of opium' owing to his enthusiastic therapeutic deployment of the drug. 'Among the remedies which it has pleased the Almighty God to give to man to relieve his sufferings,' wrote Sydenham, 'none is so universal and efficacious as opium.' The use of his recipe for laudanum would persist into the 19th century.
The British East India Company (‘EIC’) is granted trading rights and opens its first ‘factory’ (an agency or trading station) at Canton on the south coast of China. It must be kept in mind that this was a company chartered by the British crown, and could (and did) command armies and warships to enforce its will.

https://www.opioids.com/timeline/
  • c.1300 B.C.
    In the capital city of Thebes, Egyptians begin cultivation of opium thebaicum, grown in their famous poppy fields. The opium trade flourishes during the reign of Thutmose IV, Akhenaton and King Tutankhamen. The trade route included the Phoenicians and Minoans who move the profitable item across the Mediterranean Sea into Greece, Carthage, and Europe.
  • c.1100 B.C.
    On the island of Cyprus, the "Peoples of the Sea" craft surgical-quality culling knives to harvest opium, which they would cultivate, trade and smoke before the fall of Troy.
  • c. 460 B.C.
    Hippocrates, "the father of medicine", dismisses the magical attributes of opium but acknowledges its usefulness as a narcotic and styptic in treating internal diseases, diseases of women and epidemics.
  • 330 B.C.
    Alexander the Great introduces opium to the people of Persia and India.
  • A.D. 400
    Opium thebaicum, from the Egyptian fields at Thebes, is first introduced to China by Arab traders.
    Avicenna of Persia teaches that opium is "the most powerful of stupefacients."
  • A.D. 1200
    Ancient Indian medical treatises The Shodal Gadanigrah and Sharangdhar Samahita describe the use of opium for diarrhoea and sexual debility. The Dhanvantri Nighantu also describes the medical properties of opium.
  • 1300s
    Opium disappears for two hundred years from European historical record. Opium had become a taboo subject for those in circles of learning during the Holy Inquisition. In the eyes of the Inquisition, anything from the East was linked to the Devil.

B00Mer
+1
#28  Top Rated Post
£10,000 and it made the news? Yawn.

Curious Cdn
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

£10,000 and it made the news? Yawn.

It was a hoard of Anglo-Saxon bus tokens.

Blackleaf

Don't try to convince me. Convince those 1.3 billion Chinese, poised to become the most powerful people on the planet, who hate your pommy asses.

I don't need to try and convince anyone. I, and proper historians, know what the true history is - that the Chinese were to blame for the Opium Wars - and that's all that matters.

Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

Long before China was getting boatloads of the stuff thanks to the UK.

The Chinese were getting boatloads of opium - of their own accord - from India. Contrary to popular belief, the Chinese weren't interested in stopping their people from getting hold of, and taking, opium. They were quite happy for their people to get high on the stuff - but they preferred to get their opium from India.

The 1840-42 Anglo-Chinese war (the so-called “Opium War”) is almost universally believed to have been triggered by British imperial rapacity and determination to sell more and more opium into China. That belief is mistaken. The British went to war because of Chinese military threats to defenseless British civilians, including women and children; because China refused to negotiate on terms of diplomatic equality and because China refused to open more ports than Canton to trade, not just with Britain but with everybody. The belief about British “guilt” came later, as part of China’s long catalogue of alleged Western “exploitation and aggression.”

Center for European Studies - Harvard University