Africentric school draws fewer than 15 students

Praxius

CTV Toronto- Africentric school draws fewer than 15 students - CTV News, Shows and Sports -- Canadian Television

Quote:

Fewer than 15 people have signed up for Toronto's first Africentric school, according to the school board chair.

The Toronto District School Board has held three enrolment sessions, all of which were well advertised, said John Campbell. The sessions were meant for parents who had questions about the school and who wanted the opportunity to sign up their children for the specialized education.

The idea of an Africentric school came out of a report tabled in January 2008. The report suggested that a school curriculum focusing on black culture be implemented in three schools in the city's north-west end.

The notion sparked heated discussions among school trustees and parents. Those who oppose the plan say children should learn together and not be segregated according to their race.

Supporters of the plan say the curriculum -- which would be open to all students - could help reduce the high drop-out rate among black students in the city.

Campbell told CTV Toronto Wednesday night that while trustees eventually voted to support the alternative school, the plan can't work without public interest.

"Ultimately, at the end of the process, if there is not enough interest from the public to populate the school, the school board will not go forward," he said.

The Africentric school was expected to open in September 2009. The board has said it will only open the school if it has at least 40 students enrolled in the program.

Well it's a good thing that they didn't get 40 enrolled, because this would just open up a big can of worms.

Nuggler
McLiar has said we (the province - the great unwashed), won't pay for this/these schools, but we (the province - tgu), WILL make up any shortfall at the end of the year for the BORED WITH EDUCATION..............

Think about that one, folks. I thought that only Lowell Green was full of it.

DurkaDurka
When this was all in the planning/consultation stage I actually thought the black community wanted this, apparently not. I never understood why anyone would want to go back to the segregation days anyways.

Praxius
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post

When this was all in the planning/consultation stage I actually thought the black community wanted this, apparently not. I never understood why anyone would want to go back to the segregation days anyways.

Nor did I.

If people really want to focus more on their race's history, rather then focusing on the main branches of history that made up our societies and countries like everybody else, then do it in your own spare time or when you head to university.

I don't see any schools specializing in the history of the Irish with vending machines that are loaded with Guinness.

If people are becoming bored with their education....... TOO BAD!

Seriously, when the hell was education ever exciting when you were growing up? I sure don't remember jumping for joy and all up in a sugar high when I was being taught about the founding of Canada as a kid....

School is boring, plain and simple.... most people hate it. You can change it up to focus more on a paticular race or culture, but it's still going to be boring as hell..... that's school.

If your kids are that bored with school that they're planning on dropping out, maybe as a parent you should give them a good hard kick in the ass and tell them to get TF back to class and do their work or expect to be sent off to Military School.... I'm sure regular school wouldn't seem so bad then.

Risus
Can you imagine how the blacks would yell foul if there were schools focussing only on white history?

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by Risus View Post

Can you imagine how the blacks would yell foul if there were schools focussing only on white history?

Well, when I was in high school, that's what history was more or less in a Canadian context.

I can see why blacks want to study their own histories more but doing it in a segregated school isn't the way to do it.

Praxius

Well, when I was in high school, that's what history was more or less in a Canadian context.

I can see why blacks want to study their own histories more but doing it in a segregated school isn't the way to do it.

Agreed.

But one problem with our history, both in the US and in Canada, is that unfortunatly, most black people didn't make up much of the history until around Martin Luther King Jr..... before that, they were shut out of most things in our history, and before that, they were slaves being oppressed by white people.

There are a lot of stories of certain people who escaped that sort of life, who helped others escape, or stood up to the way of life inflicted apon them all...... but most of the wars, the governments, the way our countries formed over the centuries..... was basically white people.

Not that I'm trying to give more credit to one race, it's just how it is..... you can't just replace a few people in history with a couple of black guys just to balance things out and please those who hate the fact that most of the past history revolves around one paticular race..... that's how it was unfortunatly.

Through time, however, more and more history will be written and more history will replace the common things we learn each day today as the older details become less relevant..... and with that, more history of not just those from african decent will start making the main pages, but so will many other races.

Unforgiven
Quote: Originally Posted by Praxius View Post

I don't see any schools specializing in the history of the Irish with vending machines that are loaded with Guinness.

The minute you see this you come running to tell me understand?
Then I can enjoy getting educated all over again! The girls field hockey team would have some balls this year I tell ya! Probably even Nuggler would return to school for happy hour at least!

Zzarchov
In world history class there is certainly alot of room for the history of Africa, less on the battle of marathon and more battle of Kirina.

Just a thought.

Colpy
This just shows that the people of Toronto, no matter what their skin colour, have a lot more sense than the PC idiots on the school board.

karrie
Who was pushing this idea through? How on earth did it even get off the ground with fewer than 15 families backing it?

karrie
And why on earth are they calling it 'fewer than 15'? Why not give an actual number? Is it that once we get past 10 the numbers are so big we have to round? Or did the numbers come in so incredibly low that 'fewer than 15' makes it sound like they had more support than they did?

mabudon
HA I wondered the exact same thing, but I went away from my computer for less than 13 minutes and came back to find you'd pointed that out karrie

Stretch
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

Who was pushing this idea through? How on earth did it even get off the ground with fewer than 15 families backing it?

haven't you heard Karrie, minority groups wield a lot of power....so much for integration and multiculturalism eh?

Cliffy
In our little town, the natives that used to live here were declared extinct back in '56. But I discovered, through a friend, that they still existed and in '89 we found some that were willing to come home. I did research and came up with some interesting info and my friend did a presentation to the high school students earlier this year. A bunch kids came up to her afterward and asked her where they could get more information as they "self identified" themselves as having native heritage.

Since then 76 students have come forward to say they are native but their parents would not tell them anything about their heritage. So we have been working with the schools to establish a native studies curriculum. One of the main stipulations is that theses studies be given to all students as part of their regular schooling - no segregation.

Parents feared that if their kids were segregated for native studies, they would have experienced the persecution and racism they endured growing up in our enlightened society. I think the Toronto School Board could use this bit of info and just teach African American history as part of social studies so that white kids would understand their fellow students more and perhaps encourage them to stay in school.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by Stretch View Post

haven't you heard Karrie, minority groups wield a lot of power....so much for integration and multiculturalism eh?

What do you mean stretch? If the minority group was the one pushing it through, then the school would be full of their kids. I suspect overcompensating, apologetic for the past, white people in this debacle. Clearly integration and multiculturalism mean plenty to minorities.

Nuggler
Quote: Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post

Then I can enjoy getting educated all over again! The girls field hockey team would have some balls this year I tell ya! Probably even Nuggler would return to school for happy hour at least!

Ain't no goddam way, mon. Dey kick me out, I stays kicked out.

Dat gals hockeys teem be hitten some balls for sure, eh.

(for this, I'm in deep doo doo)

Praxius
Quote: Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post

Fair enough, these forums would probably be the first to know. As soon as I know something, usually it's thrown in here.

Quote:

......... The girl's field hockey team would have some balls this year?

.... um..... planning on joining the team perhaps, or are you hoping for a couple of he/shes' to show up?

Praxius

And why on earth are they calling it 'fewer than 15'? Why not give an actual number? Is it that once we get past 10 the numbers are so big we have to round? Or did the numbers come in so incredibly low that 'fewer than 15' makes it sound like they had more support than they did?

Could be that there were 15 marked down, but some were not completely confirmed perhaps, therefore could be fewer?

I dunno.... them people in Toronto have always been a little odd..... of course my brother lives there, go figure.

EagleSmack

......... The girl's field hockey team would have some balls this year?

.... um..... planning on joining the team perhaps, or are you hoping for a couple of he/shes' to show up?

Somehow I don't think Field Hockey is Afrocentric.

hernanday

Nor did I.

If people really want to focus more on their race's history, rather then focusing on the main branches of history that made up our societies and countries like everybody else, then do it in your own spare time or when you head to university.

If people are becoming bored with their education....... TOO BAD!

Seriously, when the hell was education ever exciting when you were growing up? I sure don't remember jumping for joy and all up in a sugar high when I was being taught about the founding of Canada as a kid....

School is boring, plain and simple.... most people hate it. You can change it up to focus more on a paticular race or culture, but it's still going to be boring as hell..... that's school.

If your kids are that bored with school that they're planning on dropping out, maybe as a parent you should give them a good hard kick in the *** and tell them to get TF back to class and do their work or expect to be sent off to Military School.... I'm sure regular school wouldn't seem so bad then.

The problem is in Toronto we already have a hodge podge of schools about minorities. I believe there is a clause that permits if there is enough support locally you get a school that is "Centric" at whatever you are. The italians, ukranians, gays, brits, irish, frencg, catholics etc all already have them, I think the portuguese and aboriginals have them too, all in toronto. You may think its too bad and demand african and carrib students learn your british history, but they feel just as strongly, your history means nothing to them and doesn't apply to them in this modern world.

It isn't just the lack of content, there are ALOT of problems in anti-black racism from teachers, other students, princiapls and systematic racism embedded in the curriculum through anti-black books like mark twain and to kill a mockingbird etc. Throw on there absence from all the textbooks and about 4 decades of blacks fighting through the court systems to try to get white british school system to change, most are now fed up and just want their kid to go to a decent school that addresses their needs free of white/non-black racism. The black community has reached a turning point where they don't want to waste their precious time convincing whites how racist other whites are. They'd rather put that energy into educating their kids without the interference of white/ anti-black racism. This cannot be achieved in the regular system. You can add in a course here or there but its not practical.

Agreed.

But one problem with our history, both in the US and in Canada, is that unfortunatly, most black people didn't make up much of the history until around Martin Luther King Jr..... before that, they were shut out of most things in our history, and before that, they were slaves being oppressed by white people.

There are a lot of stories of certain people who escaped that sort of life, who helped others escape, or stood up to the way of life inflicted apon them all...... but most of the wars, the governments, the way our countries formed over the centuries..... was basically white people.

Not that I'm trying to give more credit to one race, it's just how it is..... you can't just replace a few people in history with a couple of black guys just to balance things out and please those who hate the fact that most of the past history revolves around one paticular race..... that's how it was unfortunatly.

Through time, however, more and more history will be written and more history will replace the common things we learn each day today as the older details become less relevant..... and with that, more history of not just those from african decent will start making the main pages, but so will many other races.

It is attitudes and views like yours which are prevalent which is precisely why the africentric schools are needed. You may not be a flag waving racist per se, this is how you were raised, and likely do not know better there is no point for me to beat you up for holding a view like this, this is what the British school system has taught you. After all it wasn't until maybe 1980 did the majority of white scholars finally admit that africa had a history that was more than just "the heart of Darkness". It is a school system which denies black students their own history which is an extension of colonialism and the enslavement practices used to oppress blacks to rob them of their language, culture, history, religion and the very name their mother gave them. White people never thought this was racist back then, and they certainly won't wake up afer 600 years of this type of behaviour and think its suddenly racist for the most part.

It has over 86 students and a waiting list.

What do you mean stretch? If the minority group was the one pushing it through, then the school would be full of their kids. I suspect overcompensating, apologetic for the past, white people in this debacle. Clearly integration and multiculturalism mean plenty to minorities.

It is. Toronto isn't like that. People don't integrate here, we stick to our own kind, it is the canadian mosaic, different groups stick to their own kind, chinese in the GTA live mostly in the north and east side they go to schools where the instructors are all chinese in places like markham and they have their own asian malls and they graduate from high school and go to an almost all asian university called waterloo where almost all the students are asian as most instructors and many of the students are and some classes are given in mandarin or cantonese. We find the same thing with indians. Whites do the same thing here too. Everyone is divided. Frankly the black community was the last major community who made any effort to integrate in the city. Up until the time of the africentric school it was the only community to not have a school.

DaSleeper

Walter
Gubmints is so smart.