Surely someone must know where Canadian money is printed?

turb0
I have been googling like crazy and I can't get a "authoritative" answer to this.

I know that the Bank of Canada is not really a Canadian bank, but it is a "corporate body" (corporation?)
Speaking of the above is there an actual "Canadian Bank" that has the power to print money?
The Mint makes coins.
Some outfit in Germany use to print our Canadian paper notes.
And I've determined that "maybe" an Australian company prints the plastic notes (or at least they invented it/them).

Anyone know this?

Thanks!

Sal
seems like...Ottawa

Printing Bills Will Stop At The End of 2012 for Canada

don't know if that is what you are looking for or not...at least you can start there

turb0
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Sal View Post

seems like...Ottawa

Printing Bills Will Stop At The End of 2012 for Canada

don't know if that is what you are looking for or not...at least you can start there

Hi, thanks for the reply. From what I've gathered the BoC distributes notes, but they don't make them. I seem to recall the 2012 thing was in reference to not making "paper" money, and the shift to "plastic/polymer" notes. So someone is making them, but who?

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by turb0 View Post

Hi, thanks for the reply. From what I've gathered the BoC distributes notes, but they don't make them. I seem to recall the 2012 thing was in reference to not making "paper" money, and the shift to "plastic/polymer" notes. So someone is making them, but who?

wow, you'd think we would all know...lol...oh well, thanks to your question, soon we will.

Goober
+1
As him if you dare...................

Angstrom
+1

It's contracted out to different private printing & minting company's.
Lowest bid wins.

Look up private mints.

Ron in Regina
+1

Canadian Bank Note Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by Angstrom View Post

Lowest bid wins.

Look up private mints.

CanadaInfo: Symbols, Facts, & Lists: Currency

petros
Germany

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Germany

I thought that Company stopped that last year?

turb0
Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

I thought that Company stopped that last year?

I agree, Giesecke and Devrient did print the paper money, but now with the switch to polymer, I don't know if they are doing it or not.

Goober

I agree, Giesecke and Devrient did print the paper money, but now with the switch to polymer, I don't know if they are doing it or not.

And good grade counterfeits are out now. Was looking at some the other day.Both sides of the bill are attached to a plastic insert- hard to tell.
Missing the braille bumps is one indicator.

turb0

Lowest bid wins.

Look up private mints.

It would appear that a "private mint" is not relevant (Plus a "mint" only makes coinage.)

"Perhaps the biggest single difference between the two is that a government mint has the ability to produce legal tender, while a private mint does not. However, a private mint has a great deal of flexibility in what they produce. While a government mint may be restricted to produce only certain series of coins, a private mint has the freedom to offer its clients unique custom designed coins and medallions of different sizes, weights, compositions, and quantities."

Angstrom
I read somewhere, can't remember exactly where, that the old company that printed the paper bill, had not the capacity to make the polymers.

So I think it's a whole diffrent company making them.
The article talked of layoffs at the paper money company.

Tecumsehsbones
Which is actually kinda ironic.

china
+1
Last edited by china; May 4th, 2013 at 09:19 PM..

turb0

I read somewhere, can't remember exactly where, that the old company that printed the paper bill, had not the capacity to make the polymers.

So I think it's a whole diffrent company making them.
The article talked of layoffs at the paper money company.

Yeah, the D & G out of Germany didn't have the tooling for the polymer "blanks" if you will. These I've been able to figure out got invented in Australia, but I still can't find out who "prints" them! haha

Quote: Originally Posted by china View Post

anyone know this ....hAAHAHAAHAAH

How Money is Made in Canada - YouTube

Hahaha! I watched this and it was funny as hell to see that no one knew! I liked the narrators comment about "Ok if you're going to run our money you to know where it comes from!" or something close to that, good movie BTW!!

china
Last edited by china; May 4th, 2013 at 09:41 PM..Reason: mistake

petros
The following is taken from the Bank of Canada web site:

It takes several years to design a series of bank notes. Once the designs have been approved, the Bank contracts the printing of the notes to two security printing companies,
Canadian Bank Note Company, Limited and BA International Inc. The bank notes are printed 45 to a sheet, cut, and delivered to the Bank

The two big banknote printers in Germany (both of which print Euros but not Canadian dollars) are Bundesdruckerei and Geiseck & Devrient

source(s):

http://bankofcanada.ca/en/banknotes/fact…

Are we all okay now?
Last edited by petros; May 5th, 2013 at 02:09 AM..

SLM

The following is taken from the Bank of Canada web site:

It takes several years to design a series of bank notes. Once the designs have been approved, the Bank contracts the printing of the notes to two security printing companies,
Canadian Bank Note Company, Limited and BA International Inc. The bank notes are printed 45 to a sheet, cut, and delivered to the Bank

The two big banknote printers in Germany (both of which print Euros but not Canadian dollars) are Bundesdruckerei and Geiseck & Devrient

source(s):

http://bankofcanada.ca/en/banknotes/factů

Are we all okay now?

Well I can go on with my life now. Thanks Petros!

Cameron777
+1
Mexico . The new polymer bills are made by Innovia Security. There is a lot of great information on their web site. The Canadian bills are most likely made in Mexico as they have a factory there. Where they are printed would be confidential information so you would not have the company or the Bank of Canada openly say where they are made. They do say they make the currency for Canada just not where.

Just to clarify as well the printing is all part of the manufacturing of the bill. You have the bi-axially oriented polypropylene (BOPP) layer which is the substrate of the bill and then you have four opacification print layers which are formed to the BOPP making it one single piece of material. The printing is not and cannot be done after. It is an integral part of the process and that is why it is near impossible to counterfeit.

Everyone should watch the documentary "Oh Canada" to understand how currency comes into existence. It will shock you. I was shocked about how my local media station CKCO TV censored the news and put a whole different spin on a news story related to the host of the documentary.

Machjo
None of that money is printed in my basement. Seriously. Honest to God, I swear I do not print any in my basement! I really hope you believe me.

JLM

I have been googling like crazy and I can't get a "authoritative" answer to this.

I know that the Bank of Canada is not really a Canadian bank, but it is a "corporate body" (corporation?)
Speaking of the above is there an actual "Canadian Bank" that has the power to print money?
The Mint makes coins.
And I've determined that "maybe" an Australian company prints the plastic notes (or at least they invented it/them).

Anyone know this?

Thanks!

I've heard there's an underground bunker on the D.N.D. grounds in Nanaimo and the activities there are apparently top secret, so you may start looking there, if you can get a key! -

L Gilbert

The Mint makes coins.

Anyone know this?

Thanks!

At a guess, China or Pakistan.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

I wonder if the powers that be may be under an illusion that the money is safer if no one knows where it's printed.

MHz
+1
Rothschild Dungeons?

Quote: Originally Posted by Machjo View Post

None of that money is printed in my basement. Seriously. Honest to God, I swear I do not print any in my basement! I really hope you believe me.

Sure we do, that knock on the door is not SWAT so it is safe to open it. Seriously ....

Are we all okay now?

You forgot to include the yearly bill for the last 60 years. Just sayin ......

Cameron777
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

Innovia does not have a factory there. The process for the polymer bill was invented in Australia so they have a factory there, but it would not make sense to have it made there when there is a factory in North America. Mexico makes total sense.

SLM
Quote:

Surely someone must know where Canadian money is printed?

My basement.

Shhhhhhhh.

mannsy05
Canadian notes are printed by a company called Innovia Security, in Melbourne Australia. The company prints noted for 24 different countries including Canada, Australia, United Kingdom, New Zealand and Mexico.

MHz
Follow the tanker with the ink.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbACCGf6q-c
Oh Canada Movie - Our Bought And Sold Out Land - Full

The 'Minister if Finance' explaining what money is is near the start and that really sums up the whole Canadian Political system in a 'nut-shell' as they are all fuking nuts.