Shameless U.S. liberalism/progressivism thread


Icarus27k
+1
#1
The Occupy Wall Street movement has higher favorability ratings among Americans than the Republican Party, the Tea Party movement, and 2012 Republican candidates Mitt Romney, Herman Cain, Rick Perry, and Ron Paul, according to a Nov. 2-5, 2011 NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll.

"Now I'm going to read you the names of several public figures, and groups and I'd like you to rate your feelings toward each one as very positive, somewhat positive, neutral, somewhat negative, or very negative. If you don't know the name, please just say so."

The combined "very positive" and "somewhat positive" for each:

Occupy Wall Street Movement: 32%
Republican Party: 30%
Tea Party Movement: 27%
Mitt Romney: 26%
Herman Cain: 23%
Rick Perry: 16%
Ron Paul: 19%


For further perspective (and so that I don't be accused of conveniently leaving out the ratings for other liberal/progressive people and organizations), here's the same ratings for others:

Barack Obama: 45%
Democratic Party: 40%
Hillary Clinton: 55%
Michelle Obama: 51%

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/MSNBC/Se...ember_Poll.pdf
 
Icarus27k
#2
*cough*
 
gopher
No Party Affiliation
+2
#3  Top Rated Post
We've had a myriad of anti-Obama threads on this forum since the day after he won the election and before he was inaugurated. Up to this time many of his critics here have posted surveys which showed he had no chance of winning a reelection. But now his Republican rivals have just been killing each other in their debates. And the primaries haven't even started yet! One week Palin was ahead, then Bachmann, then Perry, then Cain. Now look at what happened to him - he has dropped badly virtually over night. As a consequence, Obama's chances of reelection are looking rather good.

Now as for OWS, just imagine if they had not been smeared by the right wing media or harassed by police agents. They would have gotten even better ratings on those charts. However, this does not mean I am giving them my full endorsement. Please note that I would rather see them spend time canvassing for new voters. They could get the message of being '' 99 percenters '' and the need for reform by carrying buttons and writing LTTE or by buying air time on radio/tv. The rest of their time could be better spent soliciting newly registered voters and by informing both parties that they better shape up and represent the needs of the people rather than those of the elites. This is far more constructive in my book.
 
gopher
No Party Affiliation
+1
#4
I'm surprised by the lack of postings on this thread. There had been so much criticism of OWS on other threads. Yet, the movement according to those stats above show that it is viewed more favorably than the Republican party. So why is there so much criticism of the movement but not of the Republican party?

On another thread someone denied that this is a right wing forum. Perhaps they would like to reconsider their view.
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

So why is there so much criticism of the movement but not of the Republican party?

Maybe you should turn off Faux News (I know you're a closet fan). I hear lots of criticism of the Republican Party.
 
gopher
No Party Affiliation
+1
#6
You got a point there 'Nuck (and I'm glad you remember that, yes, I do watch Faux on occasion). The Republicans have been criticized by each other for their virulent attacks upon one another during those political debates. Just look at the mess Cain is in now thanks to those self inflicted attacks. Still, my question was regarding all the negative attention on this forum towards OWS when the majority view it favorably. Why don't people here have something positive to say when so many others do??
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
+1
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

Why don't people here have something positive to say when so many others do??

Probably because it's a non issue. I, for one, don't really care how popular or unpopular a particular group is. Britney Spears and Justin Beiber are popular. That doesn't mean they have anything of real value to offer me.
 
Cliffy
Free Thinker
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

Probably because it's a non issue. I, for one, don't really care how popular or unpopular a particular group is. Britney Spears and Justin Beiber are popular. That doesn't mean they have anything of real value to offer me.

What? Sacrilege! You mock pubescent boys and girls everywhere!

Bailiff! Whack his pee pee!
 
Icarus27k
+1
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

Probably because it's a non issue. I, for one, don't really care how popular or unpopular a particular group is. Britney Spears and Justin Beiber are popular. That doesn't mean they have anything of real value to offer me.

Except popularity in the sense I'm talking about in this thread is kind of the basis for democracy. Elections, for example, are just popularity contests when you think about it. The most popular candidate wins. So asking feelings toward politicians and political movements can't reasonably be dismissed.
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
+2
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by Icarus27k View Post

Except popularity in the sense I'm talking about in this thread is kind of the basis for democracy. Elections, for example, are just popularity contests when you think about it. The most popular candidate wins. So asking feelings toward politicians and political movements can't reasonably be dismissed.

Sure they can because they are oversimplifications. "Everybody hates wall street because they screwed up" is easy. Coming up with real solutions instead of shouting slogans isn't. That, incidentally, is why so many people have lost interest in politics. Our political parties are following the lead of special interest groups by simply attacking others ideas and not coming up with anything fresh themselves. Those on the left think the right is destroying this country. Those on the right think that the left is destroying this country. The reality is that special interest groups do more harm than anybody.
 
gopher
No Party Affiliation
+1
#11
Quote:

Probably because it's a non issue.

Well, it's issue enough for the majority in the USA, Canada, and the world. This is why they have so much support everywhere except this forum. While everyone is certainly free to hold any opinion they wish, the fact that the world's majority supports OWS while the majority on this forum continues to criticize it shows that the people here are out of touch with the world's majority. But to each his/her own.
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

Well, it's issue enough for the majority in the USA, Canada, and the world. This is why they have so much support everywhere except this forum.

Really? I don't personally know anybody outside of this forum that supports them.

Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

While everyone is certainly free to hold any opinion they wish, the fact that the world's majority supports OWS while the majority on this forum continues to criticize it shows that the people here are out of touch with the world's majority. But to each his/her own.

I have no doubt that the majority on this forum are out of touch. It is one of the reasons I like to come to this site. I guess the difference between us is that I don't really care what the out of touch crowd thinks. Why do you?
 
gopher
No Party Affiliation
+1
#13
Quote:

Why do you?

For the simple reason that I like to exchange ideas. Why so many feel one way and another group feels another way is something I always like to explore. I'm not criticizing anyone for harboring whatever thoughts they have. Just wondering why their feelings do not square with the majority.
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

For the simple reason that I like to exchange ideas. Why so many feel one way and another group feels another way is something I always like to explore. I'm not criticizing anyone for harboring whatever thoughts they have . Just wondering why their feelings do not square with the majority.


LOL...you do that all the time. I wish I had a dollar for every time you have called somebody that disagrees with you, a right-wing nutter or some similar tag. That doesn't sound like somebody that likes to "exchange ideas".
 
gopher
No Party Affiliation
+1
#15
Cannuck - you're not saying you never criticized or attacked anyone here, are you? And you certainly didn't see me criticize you or anyone else on this issue.

Why don't you try to answer the question instead? Just try.
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

Cannuck - you're not saying you never criticized or attacked anyone here, are you?

Of course not. I've made it quite clear that I like to make fun of radicals and fringe dwellers because I think our society is becoming too polarized.

Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

And you certainly didn't see me criticize you or anyone else on this issue.

Not directly but you have made your position regarding the right side of the spectrum quite clear. As for why people aren't posting, as I said, perhaps it just isn't that important to most people or perhaps they are turned off by the thread title. Maybe they just know what they are getting with the likes of you and Icarus27k and would rather pick their spots a bit. I really have no idea.
 
gopher
No Party Affiliation
+2
#17
Quote:

I like to make fun of radicals and fringe dwellers because I think our society is becoming too polarized.

So do I.
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

So do I.


You are one. I realize you don't see it but nonetheless, you are. I have noticed that 99%+ of your political disagreements are with people that are to your right. That should tell you something.

I, on the other hand, have just as many on the far left upset with me as the far right.
 
gopher
No Party Affiliation
+2
#19
You failed to see that I criticized the Dem party, Obama, Hillary Clinton (she more than any other Dem in history), have taken a pro life stance, and even affirmed the legal rights allowed under the Second Amendment. This is far more disagreement with libs than you think which shows that you obviously have not read all of my posts. I don't often read your posts so I cannot comment on all of them.
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
+2
#20
I don't see abortion as a right/left issue.
 
damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
+1 / -1
#21
The Republicans have committed political suicide, They joined the throng of political
crazies in embracing the Tea Party that turned out not to be a grass roots party they
are a special interest group without anything else except, we shouldn't have to pay
taxes and most important we should destroy Obama at all costs regardless of what
happens to ordinary Americans or the economy.
They have done themselves in and people are waking up and it won't be pretty for
them either.
 
Walter
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpy View Post

The Republicans have committed political suicide, They joined the throng of political
crazies in embracing the Tea Party that turned out not to be a grass roots party they
are a special interest group without anything else except, we shouldn't have to pay
taxes and most important we should destroy Obama at all costs regardless of what
happens to ordinary Americans or the economy.
They have done themselves in and people are waking up and it won't be pretty for
them either.

The 2010 midterm election invalidates your post.
 
mentalfloss
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

The 2010 midterm election invalidates your post.

Repubs made much less ground than they should have. If anything, the midterm validates his post.
 
gopher
No Party Affiliation
+1
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

I don't see abortion as a right/left issue.

Liberal Democrats have given me hell for being a pro lifer on democraticunderground.
 
Cliffy
Free Thinker
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

Liberal Democrats have given me hell for being a pro lifer on democraticunderground.

Abort Pro Lifers!
 
gopher
No Party Affiliation
+1
#26
^ that's pretty much what they say !
 
Walter
#27
Another Liberal-Created Failure
https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb...reated-failure
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by Icarus27k View Post

The Occupy Wall Street movement has higher favorability ratings among Americans than the Republican Party, the Tea Party movement, and 2012 Republican candidates Mitt Romney, Herman Cain, Rick Perry, and Ron Paul, according to a Nov. 2-5, 2011 NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll.

"Now I'm going to read you the names of several public figures, and groups and I'd like you to rate your feelings toward each one as very positive, somewhat positive, neutral, somewhat negative, or very negative. If you don't know the name, please just say so."

The combined "very positive" and "somewhat positive" for each:

Occupy Wall Street Movement: 32%
Republican Party: 30%
Tea Party Movement: 27%
Mitt Romney: 26%
Herman Cain: 23%
Rick Perry: 16%
Ron Paul: 19%


For further perspective (and so that I don't be accused of conveniently leaving out the ratings for other liberal/progressive people and organizations), here's the same ratings for others:

Barack Obama: 45%
Democratic Party: 40%
Hillary Clinton: 55%
Michelle Obama: 51%

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/MSNBC/Se...ember_Poll.pdf

Its fun to see stuff posted years ago and find out how wrong people were.
LOL at OccupyWallSteet movement. Where is it now? First bout of cold weather and it was gone.
LOL at ratings of Hillary Clinton.
 
pgs
Free Thinker
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

Its fun to see stuff posted years ago and find out how wrong people were.
LOL at OccupyWallSteet movement. Where is it now? First bout of cold weather and it was gone.
LOL at ratings of Hillary Clinton.

I wonder how Icarus likes Trump ?
 
Danbones
Free Thinker
#30
The polls said he would have.
 

Similar Threads

8
Taxation?Liberalism?Conservatism?Capitalism?
by sombraa110 | Apr 24th, 2010
298
The definition of Liberalism
by Socrates the Greek | Mar 29th, 2010
0
Liberalism Versus Fundamentalism
by akbar | Apr 12th, 2007
34
Michael Ignatieff's version of Liberalism
by Socrates the Greek | May 29th, 2006