U.K. PM candidate Boris Johnson brushes off questions after police called to home aft

Curious Cdn
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

'If a male PM weeps he's a patriot. If a woman does, they ask why': Brexit regrets, digs at Boris, and yes, mistakes. Theresa May's last No 10 interview reveals a leader whose decency was never in doubt

There is no escaping the fact that Theresa May's job was to deliver the wishes of the 52 per cent of people who voted Leave in the 2016 EU referendum and of those who voted Remain but realised that the result must be honoured. Certainly, the brutality of her eviction from No 10 has been very painful to watch. Forever etched on our memories will be the way she finally crumbled as she stood in the middle of Downing Street on May 24 and told the nation that she was standing down. Over the course of a conversation lasting nearly an hour, Mrs May insists that, despite failing on Brexit, she has a legacy to be proud of. Candidly, she talks about reasons for those times she woke up worried about big decisions in the middle of the night and of mistakes she made. Despite the best intentions, she also failed signally not to take a couple of well-aimed swipes at Boris Johnson and Chancellor Philip Hammond - who has been accused of trying to block Treasury cash for some of her legacy spending pledges, such as a £27billion school funding plan.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-ask-why.html

No, Trump sez she's GAHBIDGE!!...a LOOZAH!! 'cause she didn't do exactly what he sez ...

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

No, Trump sez she's GAHBIDGE!!...a LOOZAH!! 'cause she didn't do exactly what he sez ...

She didn't do what the people said and she didn't do what she herself said: "Brexit means Brexit" and all that.

She's been kicked out of office for failing to deliver Brexit. Remainers seem to forget there are dire consequences awaiting them for their traitorous undemocratic stance. May is just the first major Remainer to be put to the swords of the Brexiteers, but many more are awaiting their fate. It'll be a bloodbath and I can't wait.

Curious Cdn
Conservative
p.s. Trump doesn't like you guys one teeny bit.

Blackleaf
DAN HODGES: My advice to Boris? Don't let Remainers in your Cabinet!

By Dan Hodges For The Mail On Sunday
14 July 2019

A few days ago, a Tory MP recounted a conversation he'd had with Boris Johnson. 'I went in, sat down, and he said, 'Right, what job would you like in my Government?' So I gave him a few suggestions, he scribbled them down, then said, 'Right, leave it with me.' And that was it. I got up and left.'

This is how Boris is managing the fragile, if expansive, egos of his parliamentary colleagues. By offering everything and promising nothing.

Government talks: Amber Rudd says she is 'not someone who sways in the wind' but Hodges contests that and compares her to Mary Poppins

'It's incredible the number of people who think they're going to be in the Cabinet just because they've told Boris what job they want,' another MP tells me.

The Tory leadership election is not yet over, but jockeying for position in a Johnson administration has already begun. And no one has shown themselves to be in possession of sharper elbows than Amber Rudd.

Asked last week if she could serve under Boris, the Work and Pensions Secretary – who has been implacably opposed to him and his proposal of leaving with a No Deal Brexit on October 31 – responded: 'If I want to deliver on improving people's lives then I have got to get on and do that. If the party chooses Boris then I will try to make that work.'

She added: 'I am not someone who swings in the wind.'

Rudd has been swinging in the wind so much she's started to resemble Mary Poppins. But in doing so, she's highlighted the first major dilemma that will confront Prime Minister Johnson.

Is his best strategy for delivering Brexit to surround himself with senior Ministers who reflect a range of opinions? Or should he follow the advice of the ERG and erect a 'ring of steel' to protect his strategy from the Remainers?

THOUGH in reality, there is no dilemma at all. Boris's first major political decision upon entering No 10 is a straightforward one. He must appoint an unashamedly, unambiguously, unimpeachably pro-Brexit Cabinet.

Not least because, in doing so, he will save the Remainers from themselves. Amber Rudd is one of the most able and effective members of the Government. But her contortions over the past few days have made her look utterly ridiculous.

Friends claim her dramatic volte-face on Boris and Brexit is simply a pragmatic response to an alteration of circumstance. 'When the facts change, then your opinions have to change,' an ally says. 'The situation Amber was facing in March is very different to the situation she's facing now.'

Jockeying for position: Amber Rudd said if the party chooses Boris then 'I will try to make that work'

Perhaps. But it's no different to the situation on June 2, when she wrote: 'We need to start being honest. We are not leaving on October 31 with a deal – Parliament will block a No Deal Brexit and there isn't time to do a revised deal… a new Prime Minister should seize the opportunity to sit down with the new EU Commissioner on November 1 and negotiate a new deal for Britain.'

Rudd and her anti-No Deal colleagues can deliver as many impassioned soliloquies as they like about their obligation to engineer meaningful change from within government. But if they spend the next four months collaborating with the No Deal Brexit they've so vigorously opposed, they'll soon become as morally and politically bankrupt as their Labour counterparts who spent the week mouthing empty platitudes about anti-Semitism.

There is also a practical reason why Boris needs to entrust Brexit to his fellow Brexiteers.

If he doesn't, his administration will rapidly suffer the same backbiting and infighting that consumed Theresa May. As a No 10 aide observes: 'One of the most soul-destroying things was the way people got out of their bunkers just long enough to trigger Article 50, then jumped straight back and started blasting away at each other. Amber was a big part of that. If Boris tries the same approach, with another supposedly balanced team, the same thing will happen to him.'

There is one final, compelling reason why Boris must resist the urge to construct his own 'team of rivals'. October 31 must be the date when – for good or ill – the Brexiteers finally take ownership of Brexit.

The forever-war between those members of the Cabinet who wish to bulldoze their way out of the EU, and those who wish to tiptoe out, must finally end. Mrs May tried compromise and conciliation. It ended up destroying her, and almost destroying her Government.
Boris's election has to bring closure to the debate about how to deliver on the referendum result.

He ran – and will be elected – on a hard-Brexit platform.

Now he must govern on a hard-Brexit platform.

He must put Brexiteers in each of the key offices of State. He must stick with messianic vigour to his exit date. And he must ensure those charged with implementing Brexit policy do so because they believe in it, not because they are prepared to tolerate it as the price for a red box and a ministerial car.

There are signs he recognises this. 'There has been a refreshing outbreak of common sense,' a member of his team observed wryly when asked about Amber Rudd's Damascene conversion.

Allies say he remains wary of rewarding her with one of the major offices of State. And while there is talk of building a broad coalition across the party and country, they are unequivocal in stating 'a prerequisite for being a member of a Boris Cabinet is you must believe in his Brexit policy'.

That might sound harsh but it's how things have to be.

The time for compromise is over. October 31 must mark the final moment of decision. Even more importantly, it must be the moment of vindication. Someone has to win now. And someone has to lose.

Boris has said his hard-Brexit approach will deliver a deal. He has pledged to leave without one if it cannot be secured. We must see if he is right. And if he and the other hard-Brexiteers have been right, or wrong, all along.

Brexit is their crusade, not Amber Rudd's. And we have reached the point where they – and they alone – must deliver it.

Build that ring of steel, Boris. Build it strong and build it high.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...s-Cabinet.html

Tecumsehsbones
Silence or exclude all dissenting opinion.

Refuse to negotiate, or even talk.

Use militaristic imagery to pump up the masses.

It's the classic European formula.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Refuse to negotiate, or even talk.

We've been doing that for three years, and look what's happened - we're still in the EU, months after we should have left and three years after the British people voted to leave.

And Johnson should pack his Cabinet with Brexiteers, not Remainers. The British people should no longer stand for arrogant, out-of-touch, undemocratic Remainers trying to overturn democracy. Boris needs to get the job done.

Curious Cdn
Conservative

We've been doing that for three years, and look what's happened - we're still in the EU, months after we should have left and three years after the British people voted to leave.
And Johnson should pack his Cabinet with Brexiteers, not Remainers. The British people should no longer stand for arrogant, out-of-touch, undemocratic Remainers trying to overturn democracy. Boris needs to get the job done.

I know!

You Brits should form a couple of armies ... say, a Remainer army (Round Pegs) and a Brexiter army (Square Pegs) and settle this issue of British unity for once and for all time.

Blackleaf

I know!
You Brits should form a couple of armies ... say, a Remainer army (Round Pegs) and a Brexiter army (Square Pegs) and settle this issue of British unity for once and for all time.

It may one day happen. The last time Parliament fought for democracy. This time, in a new civil war, the British Parliament would, believe it or not, be fighting against it.

Curious Cdn
Conservative

It may one day happen. The last time Parliament fought for democracy. This time, in a new civil war, the British Parliament would, believe it or not, be fighting against it.

Nothing to it!!

Only a quarter million dead that last time that you did that.

There's too many of you anyway, jammed on to your cramped, little island.

Tecumsehsbones

It may one day happen.

Oh, I hope so! Dead Brits littering the landscape. Charming!

White_Unifier

Oh, I hope so! Dead Brits littering the landscape. Charming!

How else are they supposed to fertilize the soil?

Curious Cdn
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

How else are they supposed to fertilize the soil?

Works a treat in Belgium.

Blackleaf

Works a treat in Belgium.

Belgium: Britain, Germany and France's playground.

Blackleaf
Boris Johnson is expected to be confirmed as Britain's new Prime Minister at 11.45am today when he will tell his party to unite behind him - but he faces a MUTINY on arrival in No 10

Barring a last-minute shock, Mr Johnson (main image) is set to be named as the Conservative Party's new leader this morning following a six-week contest that has been dominated by Brexit. Sources in Mr Johnson's camp last night predicted he would secure more than 60 per cent of the vote, giving him a 'free hand' to sack his enemies and steer the Tories on a new course. He is expected to make an appeal for party unity following a fractious campaign which has seen Tory Remainers vow to bring down his government if he tries to pursue a No Deal exit. Alan Duncan (top right) tried to get Parliament to vote on a motion stopping Johnson from forming a government, and Rory Stewart (below right) is also believed to be on the verge of quitting. Johnson is expected to urge his party to unite behind him and turn their guns on Jeremy Corbyn (bottom left).
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-campaign.html

Tecumsehsbones
So, has he been confirmed as the new PM yet, or are y'all still playing with your dicks?

Blackleaf

So, has he been confirmed as the new PM yet, or are y'all still playing with your dicks?

No. The winner will we announced at 11:45am - 10.5 hours from now.

It could end up being Hunt, but Johnson is the odds-on favourite.

The winner won't actually become the 55th PM until Wednesday afternoon after May finishes her last Prime Minister's Questions in the Commons. After that, Johnson or Hunt will travel to Buckingham Palace to ask the Head of State for her permission to form a government.
Last edited by Blackleaf; 4 weeks ago at 07:20 PM..

Curious Cdn
Conservative

The Turf Accountants are even offering odds on Boy George.

Blackleaf

The Turf Accountants are even offering odds on Boy George.

Canada's got Trudeau as PM. He's very like Boy George: effeminate and likes dressing up in outrageously extravagant clothing.

pgs
Free Thinker

Canada's got Trudeau as PM. He's very like Boy George: effeminate and likes dressing up in outrageously extravagant clothing.

I like that Boy George .

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

I like that Boy George .

I like Boy George. Culture Club made some good pop music. Karma Chameleon (1983) is a classic.

https://youtu.be/WBGMRWs-S9E

Curious Cdn
Conservative

I like Boy George. Culture Club made some good pop music. Karma Chameleon (1984) is a classic.

Could be leading you into Brexit!

Blackleaf

Could be leading you into Brexit!

I want to be lead into Brexit. I'd have Baldrick running the country if it meant Brexit.

Curious Cdn
Conservative

I want to be lead into Brexit. I'd have Baldrick running the country if it meant Brexit.

He, like Boris has a cunning plan.

Blackleaf

He, like Boris has a cunning plan.

spaminator

Curious Cdn
Conservative
The stop watch is ticking. Will be make it to Halloween? Will be make it to Christmas? Will he take Trump's advise, stuff coke up his nose and stream his consciousness on Twitter at four in the morning so all can witness his madness?

DaSleeper
Trumpophobia!

spaminator

Tecumsehsbones

I want to be lead

Got some good news for you.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminator View Post

He's practising for when he takes on Barnier and Juncker.