Who shouldn't have the right to strike?

CBC News
More...

karrie
I like the defining factor of 'those not paid by public funds'.

FUBAR
Nobody shouldn't have the right to strike. I'm pretty sure most companies and managers would love the right to strike to be taken away from anyone. It removes the one response a worker has that managers pay attention to. Denial of your work is a basic right, the alternative is indentured serfdom........or corporate slavery......

eh1eh
I think everyone should have the right to strike anytime for any reason. It would solve all our problems.

If you don't make enough, strike.

If you are paying your employees too much, strike.

So let's summarize, Strike, by anyone, at anytime for any reason.

It's the only truly democratic solution.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1eh View Post

If you are paying your employees too much, strike.

I've seen that happen. A meat packing plant here in Edmonton actually. The workers were in negotiations, demanding more pay and threatening a strike. The plants said 'we can't, if you strike, we have to close.' The workers went on strike, the plant closed, and people still complain that it was an unjust, unfair, unwarranted response from the plant. Seemed like they got exactly what they were warned about.

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

I've seen that happen. A meat packing plant here in Edmonton actually. The workers were in negotiations, demanding more pay and threatening a strike. The plants said 'we can't, if you strike, we have to close.' The workers went on strike, the plant closed, and people still complain that it was an unjust, unfair, unwarranted response from the plant. Seemed like they got exactly what they were warned about.

Gainers.

Scott Free
If you must work, that is, if you have to work under the threat of violence (fines, jail time) then you are a slave. As such you should respond in the manner as someone has the right to do under such circumstances as being made a slave. It is no time for half measures when your freedom, liberty and life are on the line. We, here in Canada, don't recognize the seriousness of this situation only because we are wealthy. The bus drivers have every right to storm government and hang politicians and, in fact, not doing so now means it will only have to be done later. Eventually, like all parasites, the political elite and monied elite will demand too much. It is at their peril that they would remove the pressure valve that job action necessarily represents; this is always the coarse, however, that people in ivory towers inevitably take.
Last edited by Scott Free; Apr 29th, 2008 at 03:25 PM..

karrie

Gainers.

That would be the one, thanks.

Nuggler
Thought it was Maple Leaf Foods...............?

anyway: What Scott Free said. He just forgot to add there should be a no scab law where scabs could be castrated and burned alive.......Jeebus, thats a bit harsh, Nugg!!......nope.

The right to strike was bargained, fought, bled, and died for. Tis the only weapon the working man has on his side, and some would argue it has caused the offshoreing of many jobs.

But, we all know that employers are honest and upright. Just look at Walmart for example. Why, companies would never offshore if workers threw out the unions, accepted scraps thrown from the table, sucked up, kissed ass, and licked boots.

No, never, not ****ing much!

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by Scott Free View Post

If you must work, that is, if you have to work under the threat of violence (fines, jail time) then you are a slave. As such you should respond in the manner as someone has the right to do under such circumstances as being made a slave. It is no time for half measures when your freedom, liberty and life are on the line. We, here in Canada, don't recognize the seriousness of this situation only because we are wealthy. The bus drivers have every right to storm government and hang politicians and, in fact, not doing so now means it will only have to be done later. Eventually, like all parasites, the political elite and monied elite will demand too much. It is at their peril that they would remove the pressure valve that job action necessarily represents; this is always the coarse, however, that people in ivory towers inevitably take.

That isn't even the reason they went on strike, thanks. That is the excuse they used for giving the city 1 hours notice of strike.

Have you ever taken the TTC? I take it everday, Monday to Friday and I can tell you that I have never seen a driver threatened with violence. You have taken a small tidbit of info you read somewhere and wrapped your looney tune agenda around it, nice going.

Scott Free
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post

That isn't even the reason they went on strike, thanks. That is the excuse they used for giving the city 1 hours notice of strike.

Have you ever taken the TTC? I take it everday, Monday to Friday and I can tell you that I have never seen a driver threatened with violence. You have taken a small tidbit of info you read somewhere and wrapped your looney tune agenda around it, nice going.

1- I didn't give a reason for the strike, dumb dumb.

2- "That is the excuse they used for giving the city 1 hours notice of strike." - And this is relevant to what I said how?

3- It isn't the public that is threatening the strikers it is the government.

You didn't understand one damn word I wrote - talk about warping something to a "looney [sic] tune" agenda

Walter
The workers in any business or service which has a monopoly should not have the right to strike.

DurkaDurka

You didn't understand one damn word I wrote - talk about warping something to a "looney [sic] tune" agenda

You think too highly of your self, moron.

Scott Free
Quote: Originally Posted by Nuggler View Post

anyway: What Scott Free said. He just forgot to add there should be a no scab law where scabs could be castrated and burned alive.......Jeebus, thats a bit harsh, Nugg!!......nope.

The right to strike was bargained, fought, bled, and died for. Tis the only weapon the working man has on his side, and some would argue it has caused the offshoreing of many jobs.

But, we all know that employers are honest and upright. Just look at Walmart for example. Why, companies would never offshore if workers threw out the unions, accepted scraps thrown from the table, sucked up, kissed ass, and licked boots.

No, never, not ****ing much!

I 100% agree.

Scott Free
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post

You think too highly of your self, moron.

The key word here is "think" you should try it sometime.

Scott Free
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

The workers in any business or service which has a monopoly should not have the right to strike.

Really? And so what do you recommend for the workers as punishment? Whippings? Beatings? Public humiliation? Financial ruin? Jail time?

If someone must work, that is, can not strike, then they are a slave and should resort to any and all means in securing their freedom.

eh1eh
Your daughter had to walk home from the movies and got raped. Too bad for you! Thanks union selfish *****s. The UNION cause was served, **** ANYONE that gets in their way. UNION supersedes all other concerns that don't support UNION. HEIL UNION.

Colpy

Sorry Walter.....slavery went out of style in this country in 1832.

eh1eh
I would like to state that the censorship in my above post contained no "bad" words. There is a problem here. I would also lie to say it is unjust crap.

Colpy

Your daughter had to walk home from the movies and got raped. Too bad for you! Thanks union selfish *****s. The UNION cause was served, **** ANYONE that gets in their way. UNION supersedes all other concerns that don't support UNION. HEIL UNION.

So, do you enjoy the 40 hour work week?...........How about pensions? Paid holidays? Vacations? Workmen's Compensation?

If you do, say "Thanks" to your unions.

I've been a union man all my life...........

eh1eh

Look I am upset. There are NO 'BAD' words in this post. What the fcuk is going on??????????????????????????????????

Why are there stars.

Andem????

Walter

Really? And so what do you recommend for the workers as punishment? Whippings? Beatings? Public humiliation? Financial ruin? Jail time?

If someone must work, that is, can not strike, then they are a slave and should resort to any and all means in securing their freedom.

Too bad. If the situation is known before the job is taken it is not slavery.

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

Sorry Walter.....slavery went out of style in this country in 1832.

It is your choice to work for a monopoly. Slavery was never an uncoerced choice.

Scott Free

Unfortunately it does look that way but the reality is different. The non-union sectors of the labour market have benefited significantly from the union sectors struggles. It is because of unions that we enjoy so many luxuries in this country like pensions and minimum wage. Unfortunately too, there are efforts to do away with these benefits because people don't understand where they came from. Most 20 somethings think corporations have their best interests in mind and think they could compete in an open labour market without any protections at all. A brief study of history will demonstrate the falseness of that.

Before the labour movement management suck-ups were treated very badly too. So even middle-management and upper-management has benefited significantly from the labour struggle. I see all the time people thinking that if they suck-hole enough to the corporate tit that they don't need the benefit of organized labour. This is in great error but, again, a look at history would be needed to demonstrate this.

Scott Free

It is your choice to work for a monopoly. Slavery was never an uncoerced choice.

There is no choice when it comes to providing for your family! The neocon ideal of "well then role over and die" isn't practical. There is no choice unless you are wealthy.

Monopoly or not, if management thinks they have you over a barrel then they will leverage that advantage.

Walter

Monopoly or not, if management thinks they have you over a barrel then they will leverage that advantage.

Bloody management.

shadowshiv

So, do you enjoy the 40 hour work week?...........How about pensions? Paid holidays? Vacations? Workmen's Compensation?

If you do, say "Thanks" to your unions.

I've been a union man all my life...........

And I've seen it from both sides. The union at the plant I am a guard at has way too much power. I have seen this first hand. I cannot say what these incidents are(as I would get in a lot of trouble), but I have seen some childish actions.

I am thankful that I have a union, as the company I work for(not the factory that I have as a home site) is very bad, and they try to screw us over any chance they get. But like I said before, a union with too much power is not necessarily a good thing either.

That being said, I do NOT agree with scabs being sent in. That is wrong. It causes more grief than is necessary, and people can end up getting hurt.

Colpy
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshiv View Post

And I've seen it from both sides. The union at the plant I am a guard at has way too much power. I have seen this first hand. I cannot say what these incidents are(as I would get in a lot of trouble), but I have seen some childish actions.

I am thankful that I have a union, as the company I work for(not the factory that I have as a home site) is very bad, and they try to screw us over any chance they get. But like I said before, a union with too much power is not necessarily a good thing either.

That being said, I do NOT agree with scabs being sent in. That is wrong. It causes more grief than is necessary, and people can end up getting hurt.

security companies are the absolute worst. I just lost my job with Brinks after 11 years.....they just came in one morning and told us they were closing the Branch.....go home now.

They pay very little, ignore minimum standards laws and safety regulations, and treat their employees like garbage. I've worked for three different security companies, and they are all the same.

Labour is a commodity, to be given no more consideration than the diesel they put in the trucks/

Thank God for unions.

Not that I'm bitter....

shadowshiv

security companies are the absolute worst. I just lost my job with Brinks after 11 years.....they just came in one morning and told us they were closing the Branch.....go home now.

They pay very little, ignore minimum standards laws and safety regulations, and treat their employees like garbage. I've worked for three different security companies, and they are all the same.

Labour is a commodity, to be given no more consideration than the diesel they put in the trucks/

Thank God for unions.

Not that I'm bitter....

Like I said, I have seen it from both sides. I can just imagine how bad it would be if we did not have the union(even though it is far from the best). The guards in the company have the right to strike, but if that happens it places the guards at the site I work at in a quandary. We are contracted out to work at the site, so we therefore make considerably more than what the guards in the company normally get. If we were to go on strike, the site itself may put a lot of pressure on the guards to remain working otherwise they would be banned from site and hire a different company.

However, as I also stated before, I do not like the practice of using scabs so if it were ever voted to go on strike, I would. I will not cross the picket line(even though there would not be a picket line per se at the plant as we are just contracted there).

And Colpy...you are soooo right with your comments about security companies.

Lester
Don't ask anybody from Alberta about strikes - they just legislate us back to work and appoint some ringer to negotiate a settlment