BLOC: 11.0

Green: 4.8

SES Research January 17

Liberal: 32

Conservative: 37

NDP: 18

BLOC: 10

Green: 4

Now these polls are just getting plan stupid. First you had the Stategic Council with an 18-point COnservative lead. And now this. However, I am beginning to trust the other ones and not the Strategic Council one. I think something extremely fishy is going on.

Toro
That Strategic Council poll is a rogue poll.

You'll notice that the Tories are around that 36-39% range in the last several polls while the Liberals have been in the 27-30% area. That's where the vote is going to wind up. There has been very little movement.

I think not
It most likely has to do with the methodology being used Jersay. Besides, the only poll that will count for you guys is the one taken on the 23rd.

Jersay
Then something is wrong with the Strategic Council because there last five polls have been 40+

Now what I see happening at most is that the Conservatives are around 35-38 and the Liberals are 26-29, and the NDP is inching towards 20.

FiveParadox
Liberal
I have found, in my opinion, that the most accurate and/or reliable poll is, in fact, that done with the co-operation of CPAC and SES Research.

Jersay
Agreed, however Ekos seems to be okay.

#juan
No Party Affiliation
Latest CPAC/SES poll

Canada Decided Voters (Tracking ended January 17, 2006)

CP 36.9% (+

LIB 31.5% (-5)

NDP 17.6% (+3)

BQ 10.0% (-4)

GP 4.0(-1)

*15.9% of Canadians were undecided (NC)

Jersay
16% of Canadians undecided is still a big number. Hopefully, no one has forgotten that it is still anyone's game.

Dexter Sinister
No Party Affiliation
Hardly anybody mentions the undecided voters, which gives a false sense of what the polls are really saying. It's more revealing to look at the numbers for all voters:

CP 31.0%
Lib 26.5%
NDP 14.8%
BQ 8.4%
GP 3.4%
Und 15.9%

Trumpeting only the figures for decided voters, as most of the media do, is equivalent to distributing the undecided voters over the parties in the same percentages as the decided voters, which ain't necessarily so. There are enough undecided voters to give a thumping big majority to the Conservatives if they all vote that way, at least a solid majority to the Liberals if they all vote that way, and even a shot at official opposition status to the NDP if they all go left. Highly improbable outcomes, I know, but if the undecided voters don't split approximately the same way the decided voters do, and there's no reason to assume they will, all those pollsters can end up looking pretty silly. And of course we all know the BQ numbers apply only in Quebec. As Jersay observed, it's still up for grabs.

It's still too close to call because of that big undecided vote. Also, if this is the standard "plus or minus 3 percentage points 19 times out of 20" sample, that means the pollsters are 95% sure the actual Conservative vote is somewhere between 28 and 34%, the Liberal vote is between 23.5 and 29.5%, and so forth. And the undecided vote might be as high as 18.9%. Plus there's a 5% chance the numbers are what a former high school teacher of mine would have called concentrated essence of hogwash, so don't bet the farm on anything yet.

Jersay
Yeah, with 16% of Canadians still undecided, I don't think anyone should celebrate just yet.

Triple_R
Oh, please. Even the mainstream news networks are admitting that it's just a question of whether it's a Conservative minority, or a Conservative majority.

Even Jack Layton, leader of the NDP, is essentially conceding that the CPCs have won (i.e. "The Liberals will not be able to stop the Conservatives this time!" he said to soft NDP voters).

My view is that you have three polls telling three different stories. Given that fact, it's probably safest to go with the one inbetween the other two - namely, the Ekos poll. The Ekos poll has the Conservatives 10 pts ahead of the Liberals. With 5 days left, that's it. It's over. Particularly with the Liberals continuing to be gaffe campaign central (thank you, Buzz Hargrove! ).

I'm almost going to miss this election campaign once it's over. The Liberals have been an excellent source of comedy with their unbelievably bad/gaffe-filled campaign.

FiveParadox
Liberal
It would be funny to see the Liberal Party of Canada pull off another minority. Many users of this forum would be "stunned," to say the least.

Toro
Including the Liberals.

I think not
As opposed to hard core NDP'ers thinking the sky will fall on their head?

FiveParadox
Liberal
Yes, I would be surprised to see the Liberals win this (even as a Liberal). lol

Triple_R
FiveParadox - It wouldn't be funny; it would be disastrous. Another Liberal government would all but ensure a rise of seperatist support in Quebec - Quebec is obviously rejecting the Liberal party, as virtually all the polls indicate. It would also create seperatist sentiment in Alberta.

In sharp contrast, a Conservative government (which would almost certainly include MPs from every signal province in Canada - something that the Liberals may very well not be able to claim after this election) would as such serve as a national unifier (particularly if they can get 5 or more MPs elected out of Quebec - quite possible given recent poll numbers).

I wouldn't be stunned by a Liberal turnabout. I would be appalled, to be frank. How anybody can vote for such an obviously incompetent party (Martin accusing Layton of being "against a woman's right to choose", Martin approving the military ad, Martin and his party failing to even keep their story straight on the military ad, new Liberal supporter Buzz Hargrove having the unmitigated delusion and gall to call Stephen Harper a seperatist, etc..., etc... ad naseum, ad infitium) is, with all due respect, beyond me.

I think not
I still think FiveParadox is right on the issue of the Liberals getting the first shot at forming a government.

Triple_R
I think not - A moot point given Layton's on the record comments, and Duceppe's mutual animousity with Martin.

I think not
That's sounds good to me, it's none of my business but I think any party that has governed for 12 years, is 4 years too much. Time for change.

I think not
EKOS January 21st Poll

Conservative Party of Canada 37.1
Liberal Party of Canada 26.9
NDP 19.5
Bloc Québécois 11.5
Green Party 4.6
Other 0.5
Undecided/declined 16.0
Would not vote 2.4

Link to PDF Report

MMMike
Quote: Originally Posted by I think not

I still think FiveParadox is right on the issue of the Liberals getting the first shot at forming a government.

If the Liberals tried to form the government having less seats than the Conservatives there would be a revolt. After the electorate sending a clear message that it's time for a change? No way.

Jersay
If it is the parlimentary system, tough beans.

Reform the parlimentary system. You can't fault someone if it is plainly evident that they could form a government with less seats. If the option is open they should take it.

Besides if they were able to govern, with a minority of seats, they would actually be the majority because they would have to cooperate with other parties to govern. So they would make up a majority.

MMMike
This afternoon around the corner of my house I saw the best election sign ever. Amongst the blue, red, green and orange election signs someone had put in a plain white sign that said:

Vote for Pedro

Maybe they're onto something??

Jersay

Cool.

Colpy
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by Jersay

If it is the parlimentary system, tough beans.

Reform the parlimentary system. You can't fault someone if it is plainly evident that they could form a government with less seats. If the option is open they should take it.

Besides if they were able to govern, with a minority of seats, they would actually be the majority because they would have to cooperate with other parties to govern. So they would make up a majority.

So let the GG ask Martin to form a government. One of two things happen:

1. He succeeds in ruling with NDP support for a year or two, completely pissing off Canadians, who consequently vote in a majority Conservative gov't.

2. He fails immediately, which throws the ball back to the GG, who should then ask Harper if he could form a gov't. Or we go to another election, where the people give Harper a majority.

Let's avoid all this BS, and give Harper a majority Monday!

Jersay
Quote:

So let the GG ask Martin to form a government. One of two things happen:

1. He succeeds in ruling with NDP support for a year or two, completely pissing off Canadians, who consequently vote in a majority Conservative gov't.

2. He fails immediately, which throws the ball back to the GG, who should then ask Harper if he could form a gov't. Or we go to another election, where the people give Harper a majority.

Let's avoid all this BS, and give Harper a majority Monday!

I will go you one better, and

let's elect a Jack Layton majority on Monday, the 23rd, everybody. It is just easy.

#juan
No Party Affiliation
SES/CPAC

Canada Decided Voters (Tracking ended January 20, 2006, N=1,057 decided voters)

CP 36.2% (+7)

LIB 29.4% (-

NDP 17.3% (+2)

BQ 11.0% (-3)

GP 6.1 (+1)

*12.0% of Canadians were undecided (-4)

The way things are going, the Liberals and the CPC will be about even by election day. Who knows where the undecided vote will go. Nobody is going have a majority. Gee, we might as well have waited for the Liberals to call the election.

Jersay
I have seen polls all day that have the NDP nearly at 20%.

However, 12% undecided could go to anyone.

I think not
Harper Headed For 24 Sussex Drive

Conservatives (38%, +1 Point) Hold 12-Point Lead Over Liberals (26%, -3 Points), While NDP (19%, +1 Point) And Green Party (5%, Unchanged) Remain Static
In Quebec: Bloc Quebecois (46%, +3 Points), Conservatives (27%, +6 Points) And Liberals (14%, -10 Points)
Seat Projection Model: Conservatives 143-147, Liberals 59-63, NDP 39-43, And Bloc Quebecois 59-63

I think not
Quote: Originally Posted by MMMike

Quote: Originally Posted by I think not

If the Liberals tried to form the government having less seats than the Conservatives there would be a revolt. After the electorate sending a clear message that it's time for a change? No way.

All I'm saying is that's my understanding of your election laws. The incumbent party gets a first shot at forming a government if there isn't a majority government after the elections.