Canada, U.S. and Mexico sign Green Energy NAFTA Deal

mentalfloss
'an emphasis on low carbon'

Clean-energy deal being signed today 1st step to green NAFTA

Emphasis of trilateral agreement will be on a 'low-carbon future' for North America

Canada, the United States and Mexico will sign a trilateral agreement Friday that could mark the start of discussions on the first North American accord on climate change and clean energy.

CBCNews.ca is carrying the event live starting at 10:30 a.m. ET.

Natural Resources Minister Jim Carr, U.S. Secretary of Energy Ernest Moniz and Mexico's secretary of energy, Pedro Joaquín Coldwell, will sign a memorandum of understanding on North American climate change and energy collaboration, CBC News has learned.

The energy ministers met Thursday in Winnipeg ahead of the official signing Friday morning.

Sources tell CBC News the emphasis will be on a "low-carbon future" for North America. This essentially kickstarts the detailed, behind the scenes work needed for a continent-wide agreement that will enable all three countries to work together on clean energy and options to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

Clean-energy deal being signed today 1st step to green NAFTA - Politics - CBC News

petros
So those EV/hybrid production lines are going buh bye?

mentalfloss
It will mean that Mexico will be the one producing them.

EagleSmack
+1
I wonder if this will be like Kyoto!

Has Canada got around to paying the billions owed yet?

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

So why is Wynne dumping money in them and recharging stations even with sales plummeting by 50%?

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

So why is Wynne dumping money in them and recharging stations even with sales plummeting by 50%?

Because there is still room for other players and Ontario has set itself up to lead in renewables.

petros
Room for other players on a product that lost 50% of its market share in one year?

mentalfloss
Yes.

petros
+2
Are you high? Only a complete and total moron would invest in a product that lost 50% of sales in just one year.

mentalfloss
That's less revenue than what has been lost from oil in the last quarter.

EagleSmack
+2

Are you high? Only a complete and total moron would invest in a product that lost 50% of sales in just one year.

Well let's put it this way Pete. Our former governor lost 600K+ of state taxpayer money in a solar company. The company took the cash, closed shop and moved whatever was left to China. After the debacle Gov. Patrick said it was a good investment and that he'd do it again if he had the chance.

That is what we are dealing with.

darkbeaver
Republican

Because there is still room for other players and Ontario has set itself up to lead in renewables.

Hydro Carbons are renewable, perpetual production as long as the sun shines.

petros
The environment never stopped making oil.

mentalfloss
Poor poor oil..

Clean energy groups predict today's agreement means the continent's industry is about to take off.

"It shows how seriously our countries will be starting to take clean energy." said Clare Demerse, senior policy adviser with Clean Energy Canada.

Demerse says it could create a bigger market for Canadian renewable energy.

For example, the U.S. Clean Power Plan allows coal-burning states to import clean Canadian energy that has come online since 2012 to reduce their emissions. Despite a recent court-imposed delay, most environmentalists believe that plan will eventually proceed with a big demand for Canadian hydro, solar and wind power.

There could also be a chance to develop a continent-wide infrastructure for electric cars.

"All three countries manufacture cars, all three are thinking about the next generation of cars," Demerse said.

"There is a lot they can do together to make sure, for example, you could drive an electric car anywhere on the continent and know you can charge it."

petros
+2

That's less revenue than what has been lost from oil in the last quarter.

Revenue? It's all about units. Oil production is only rising, EV/Hybrids? 50% less hitting the road and the market share going to gasoline cars.

Failure

mentalfloss
Don't be sad about oil.

Just enjoy the lower prices.

Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation

Poor poor oil..

"There is a lot they can do together to make sure, for example, you could drive an electric car anywhere on the continent and know you can charge it."

Oh fer sure man. I know when I'm travelling along the highway, nothing makes the trip more enjoyable than stopping every 30 miles to fuel up. Hell, even my old gas-guzzling '69 Super Bee with a 6 pack did better than 30 miles between fill ups..

petros
Quote:

, nothing makes the trip more enjoyable than stopping every 30 miles to fuel up.

for 5 hours

Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Oh fer sure man. I know when I'm travelling along the highway, nothing makes the trip more enjoyable than stopping every 30 miles to fuel up. Hell, even my old gas-guzzling '69 Super Bee with a 6 pack did better than 30 miles between fill ups..

I used to have a 69 Bee too. I took out the oil pan going over railway tracks during a high speed chase.

Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
+2

for 5 hours

Only 5 hours? Holy crap, now I definitely have to go buy me one.

petros
You can do a one hour quick charge and shave 70% of the battery life off.

Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
+4
#21  Top Rated Post

You can do a one hour quick charge and shave 70% of the battery life off.

Or I could be like the twits in Vancouver who left their electric car plugged in while they went on vacation. They came back to a burned down house. So much for them reducing their carbon footprint.

mentalfloss

Yes, I get that we will be investing more into infrastructure and energy efficiency.

petros
+3
I can't wait for electric trucks. I'd love to see the results of seawater on the batteries at boat launch.

Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation

Yes, I get that we will be investing more into infrastructure and energy efficiency.

ZOOOM! x2

taxslave
Free Thinker

Doing exactly what for our economy?

petros
Let Mexico take the EV/Hybrid layoffs...

taxslave
Free Thinker
+1

But think of the boom to the services. While your ride is feeding so will you. And then you will need a place to sleep and mindless entertainment while you wait.

Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

But think of the boom to the services. While your ride is feeding so will you. And then you will need a place to sleep and mindless entertainment while you wait.

Perfect, they could build electric recharging stations that have strip bars with an all you can eat buffet and rooms up top to sleep...or ya know.

coldstream
A construct built on the monstrous fraud of AGW.. ideologies of a feather (Global Free Market Capitalism and AGW) flock together.. vultures picking on the ruins of the West's economy.

* note - somewhat unfair to vultures who are noble scavengers who keep the hinterland clean... there's nothing clean or noble about GFMC or AGW.
Last edited by coldstream; Feb 12th, 2016 at 02:08 PM..

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Doing exactly what for our economy?

You are talking to me as if I think free trade is a good idea lol