Death threats posted against crusading B.C. senior

B00Mer
Police in B.C. are investigating death threats against a man who has complained about hate speech on Craigslist’s Vancouver website, CBC News has learned

Cran Campbell, of Delta, B.C., says he regularly monitors the Rants and Raves section of the popular website and flags postings he believes are racist, hateful or threatening.

Campbell said he also reports some of the more vicious comments to police.

Delta police are now investigating death threats against the 63-year-old retiree that have been made in comments brazenly posted on Craigslist.

"Just like a pesky mosquito he should be swatted ... and silenced forever," one posting about Campbell said.

"Keep looking over your shoulder," said another.

Someone has also posted Campbell's picture and his home address.

“I get a bit concerned when they tell me they're coming to my address,” Campbell said Friday. “But you know what? Nothing in this world is going to stop me from doing what I'm doing right now.”

Postings advocate killing
He said he's found many postings that openly talk of killing as many people from a particular race as possible.

“I cannot stand racism and hatred,” said Campbell. “It's not in my blood to do that. It's not in any of my family that accepts that.”

B.C.’s Hate Crimes Team is looking closely at the racist postings.

“If you are promoting or inciting hatred against an identifiable group, then that potentially could be a criminal offence, but it's a long process that we have to look at,” said the head of the team, Det. Const. Terry Wilson.

One anti-racism activist told CBC News he sympathizes with Campbell.

“It's a serious situation. We can't take it lightly,” said Alan Dutton, of the Canadian Anti-Racism Education and Research Society. “There needs to be protection for these individuals that do make complaints. And I would hope that people who do have the courage to come forward do take precautions.”

Campbell said he is adamant and will not back down, and will continue to flag racists on Craigslist.

Death threats posted against crusading B.C. senior - British Columbia - CBC News

================================================== =====

I'm personally tired of the way the country is going, less Torrance towards different cultures, color, religion..

This guy is trying to fight the ignorance growing in Canada; sorta like athletes foot. it itches, just can't always see it.

Personally, I have lived 50% of my life (childhood) in Canada, and 50% (adulthood) in Texas, so I'm a big advocate of guns.. Smith & Wesson .40, the death penalty.. but I don't advocate racism.

So if any of those cowards that want to threaten an old man want to try me on for size, and you can figure out if I still carry. It's a 50/50 chance. (I'm also strong on civil liberties).

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Police in B.C. are investigating death threats against a man who has complained about hate speech on Craigslist’s Vancouver website, CBC News has learned

Cran Campbell, of Delta, B.C., says he regularly monitors the Rants and Raves section of the popular website and flags postings he believes are racist, hateful or threatening.

Campbell said he also reports some of the more vicious comments to police.

Delta police are now investigating death threats against the 63-year-old retiree that have been made in comments brazenly posted on Craigslist.

"Just like a pesky mosquito he should be swatted ... and silenced forever," one posting about Campbell said.

"Keep looking over your shoulder," said another.

Someone has also posted Campbell's picture and his home address.

“I get a bit concerned when they tell me they're coming to my address,” Campbell said Friday. “But you know what? Nothing in this world is going to stop me from doing what I'm doing right now.”

Postings advocate killing
He said he's found many postings that openly talk of killing as many people from a particular race as possible.

“I cannot stand racism and hatred,” said Campbell. “It's not in my blood to do that. It's not in any of my family that accepts that.”

B.C.’s Hate Crimes Team is looking closely at the racist postings.

“If you are promoting or inciting hatred against an identifiable group, then that potentially could be a criminal offence, but it's a long process that we have to look at,” said the head of the team, Det. Const. Terry Wilson.

One anti-racism activist told CBC News he sympathizes with Campbell.

“It's a serious situation. We can't take it lightly,” said Alan Dutton, of the Canadian Anti-Racism Education and Research Society. “There needs to be protection for these individuals that do make complaints. And I would hope that people who do have the courage to come forward do take precautions.”

Campbell said he is adamant and will not back down, and will continue to flag racists on Craigslist.

Death threats posted against crusading B.C. senior - British Columbia - CBC News

I'm personally tired of the way the country is going, less Torrance towards different cultures, color, religion..

This guy is trying to fight the ignorance growing in Canada; sorta like athletes foot. it itches, just can't always see it.

Personally, I have lived 50% of my life (childhood) in Canada, and 50% (adulthood) in Texas, so I'm a big advocate of guns.. Smith & Wesson .40, the death penalty.. but I don't advocate racism.

So if any of those cowards that want to threaten an old man want to try me on for size, and you can figure out if I still carry. It's a 50/50 chance. (I'm also strong on civil liberties).

From what I've heard about Craig's List, I think there is a possibility 99% of the problem would go away if everyone refrained from going anywhere near that site...........................sort of like the nuns that got raped on their way to the movies and then returned home the same way!

taxslave
I didn't even know that Craigs list had more than junk for sale. Guess I better take time off from life and start exploring what basement dwellers do.

DaSleeper
The guy sounds like Don Quixote to me