Controversial Ad Campaign

SLM
Edmonton salon in hot water over controversial ad campaign

EDMONTON An Edmonton hair salon is getting a lot of attention for an ad campaign that's being accused of glorifying domestic violence.

The ad for Fluid Hair Inc. shows an attractive woman with a black eye. There's a man standing behind her, holding out a necklace.

The ad is one in a series in Fluid's "Look Good in All You Do" campaign. The year-old ad attracted attention after a U.S. blogger posted it in online earlier this week.

Social media users have been venting their displeasure about the ad on Fluid's Facebook page.

"There is NO excuse for what you did. Artistic freedom? NO. It's beyond the low of indecency," said Sarah Leeder.

"Whoever you hired to create this campaign should be ashamed, as well as whoever approved it from within your company. I hope the negative press will create a significant decrease in business," said Nicole Christin Brown.

Read more: Edmonton salon in hot water over controversial ad campaign

The press on this is starting to ramp up, after a year.

Is it edgy and provocative or just plain stupid?

Frankly as a woman, this ad does not entice me but neither does it necessarily offend. I have seen many far more provocative and objectionable depictions of women in the media. As the saying goes "No press is bad press".

I do have to wonder who their target audience really is though. Who is going to look at that ad and decide to go to that salon?

Apparently not these folks.

Vandals attack Edmonton salon over battered-woman ad

petros
Was she beaten by him or is he rewarding her for one helluva good game of ringette with a necklace?

TenPenny
+1
I think I missed the part of the ad where it shows that she got the black eye from domestic violence.

petros
Look at her hair. That's helmet head from ringette or hockey.

mentalfloss
Another case of 'just because you can, doesn't mean you should.'

petros
That's the whole point of the ad. It leaves you to assume all sorts of scenarios.

The hockey hair says oodles.

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Look at her hair. That's helmet head from ringette or hockey.

So the mistake here is leaving out the helment and the other sporting equipment, changing any scenery that would give you a clue about which sport, if any, she was playing, and putting in an unrelated guy with a necklace to add confusion. Obviously they have over-estimated the public's ability to fill in so many blanks in a row and not incorrectly draw the much shorter, although incorrect, conclusion of domestic violence.

petros
Bingo. It's designed to **** with your head.

Locutus
+1
Some hipster ad agency likely told the hipster salon that the pitched ad was hiptastic enough for their hip clients.

Butt, in the end, stoopid ad is stoopid.

mentalfloss
Well there is some good that could come from this. A whole bunch of white guys could stop beating their wives.

Colpy
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Well there is some good that could come from this. A whole bunch of white guys could stop beating their wives.

"White guys"????

LOL

Although I think whoever put together this ad has achieved new heights of stupidity..........what, they didn't think there would be an uproar?

And unlike ads with extreme sexual content that may be over the top, this one has nothing in it that is attractive. An uproar over sex in an ad just spreads it further, and our little heads take notice .....

This one is repulsive.

EPIC FAIL.

TenPenny
+2
#12  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

Although I think whoever put together this ad has achieved new heights of stupidity..........what, they didn't think there would be an uproar?

Actually, I would think that the knew there would be an uproar, that's the whole point.

And apparently, it's working.

taxslave
I can see where the men haters would invent their own spin on this add just to keep their name in the news.

mentalfloss

"White guys"????

LOL

And unlike ads with extreme sexual content that may be over the top, this one has nothing in it that is attractive. An uproar over sex in an ad just spreads it further, and our little heads take notice .....

This one is repulsive.

EPIC FAIL.

Are you saying you would fight to have this ad removed?

Colpy
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

Actually, I would think that the knew there would be an uproar, that's the whole point.

And apparently, it's working.

Yeah....they are getting an uproar......but the reaction is revulsion.....I mean this caused an uproar....

Dammit, I can't get the ad to copy over! This is what I'm talking about......

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,526491,00.html

But despite the protests..........on some basic level this is attractive to women, one would imagine....sex with three hunky guys???? How disgusting, how disturbing!!!!

Well.....maybe I need some Calvin Kleins.

How many women secretly, or on some subconscious level desire a black eye????

IdRatherBeSkiing

Because only white guys beat their wives?

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

Because only white guys beat their wives?

Do white guys only beat their wives?

No, they also beat squirrels and muslims.

Colpy
+1

Are you saying you would fight to have this ad removed?

Not at all. I believe in freedom of speech. If these idiots want to destroy their reputation and their business..........well, so be it.

TenPenny

How many women secretly, or on some subconscious level desire a black eye????

I don't know, but an awful lot of women are attracted to violent, abusive men. So you have to wonder.

Colpy

I don't know, but an awful lot of women are attracted to violent, abusive men. So you have to wonder.

Ain't that the truth!!!

But I think that is simply the old biological rules at work.....they want the DNA of the toughest buck with the biggest horns.......they don't expect to be the one that gets gored.

mentalfloss

Not at all. I believe in freedom of speech. If these idiots want to destroy their reputation and their business..........well, so be it.

Good Colpy.

For that, I give you an emphatic Levant thumbs up.

Last edited by mentalfloss; Sep 2nd, 2011 at 08:32 AM..

Locutus
A few (media and public) words (and apology) from the seemingly intelligent and compassionate owner:

Blog Fluid Hair

Colpy

Good Colpy.

For that, I give you an emphatic Levant thumbs up.

Yeah....I really like Ezra.

I realize he is occasionally over the top, he misses stuff, he can be rude and ignorant, but all in all.....

mentalfloss

I realize he is occasionally over the top, he misses stuff, he can be rude and ignorant, but all in all.....

Just sending a compliment of your logical consistency and free speechin. We can discuss his other issues in a SunTV thread or something..

Cliffy
+1

Love his tie. Kinda symbolizes his style of showmanship. His jacket is indicative of his content, his smirk: his smugness and arrogance.

lone wolf
Borderline Racist 1960's Jell-O Ad - YouTube

Advertising walks the edge. Controversy sells....

eh1eh
+1
Wooo Hooo!
That is one impressive list of experienced forum posters that done got trolled by a lousy ad agency.

SLM

Bingo!

[/QUOTE]And apparently, it's working.[/QUOTE]

Yes, and it only took a year and one New York blogger to do it.

If these ads have been out for a year, presumably someone locally would have seen it. Yet it took some blogger from New York to say something about it before some locals got so upset that they vandalized the store front. I assuming the vandals were local and didn't fly in from New York to deface the property with spraypaint. So I guess it wasn't offensive for the first 365 days of the advertising campaign, but it is now?

Personally, I find the ad incredibly stupid.

And I'm willing to bet some ad agency rep is looking at all the fuss and thinking "finally!".

petros
It's only offensive if you want it to be. You can draw hundreds of conclusions from an image.

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

It's only offensive if you want it to be. You can draw hundreds of conclusions from an image.

That's true of a great many things.