Is Canada ready for the coming electric vehicle revolution?

spilledthebeer
Quote: Originally Posted by avro24 View Post

Who had a 10 billion dollar surplus?

Who had a $10 billion dollar surplus you ask? Here we have proof positive that some people- especially LIE-berals do NOT understand either economics or history!

During the time of peak operation of mainly Alberta oil fields- when oil was well over $100 per barrel our federal govt had-for a number of years- a series of $10- $14 billion dollar surpluses of course once fracking of natural gas came on line and once Iranian. Libyan and Iraqi oil began to flow- the oil market was glutted and the price dropped to its current level and killed off those dandy surpluses- the onse that LIE-berals wanted to spend on gravy for Hogs while Conservatives wanted to use to pay down debt!

You DO RECALL all that stuff right? With Harper govt being condemned by LIE-berals for not going WAY DEEPER into debt....and of course once Our idiot Boy was elected , he and his mutton headed LIE-beral pals whined that Harper had killed the federal surplus!!!!

LIE-beral logic is NO logic! Even a 4 year old could poke massive holes in it! HAHAHAHAHA! And now we have Our idiot Boy with his $50 billion in debt run up in 2 years telling us that a TEMPORARY Harper deficit of $1.5 billion is MUCH MORE EVIL than a series of LIE-beral deficits in the $20- $30 billion per year range- that may run till 2040 or longer is more fiscally responsible!

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by spilledthebeer View Post

Who had a $10 billion dollar surplus you ask? Here we have proof positive that some people- especially LIE-berals do NOT understand either economics or history!

During the time of peak operation of mainly Alberta oil fields- when oil was well over $100 per barrel our federal govt had-for a number of years- a series of $10- $14 billion dollar surpluses of course once fracking of natural gas came on line and once Iranian. Libyan and Iraqi oil began to flow- the oil market was glutted and the price dropped to its current level and killed off those dandy surpluses- the onse that LIE-berals wanted to spend on gravy for Hogs while Conservatives wanted to use to pay down debt!

Was that before or after the debt was paid down?

Hoid

The first Tesla hearse.

Will be useful for burying the internal combustion abortion.

spilledthebeer
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

The first Tesla hearse.

Will be useful for burying the internal combustion abortion.

Here is an old post to illustrate how much fake news LIE-berals spew related to their economy bending mad spending sprees:

The lie-beral version of the budget `truth` would do Joseph Goebels (Nazi propaganda minister) proud. The federal budget was `balanced` by simply gutting federal money transfers to the provinces…..Chretien and the not so brilliant finance minister Paul Martin simply cut transfer funding to the provinces-in Ontari-owe that meant that federal money went from being 57 percent of the total spent on health care down to 17 percent……Mike Harris was embarrassing Chretien and his lie-beral thieves so screw him and the ENTIRE province! And now we have lie-beral thief and `full of gas` plant lies premier McWynnty crying foul because Harper won`t cut her huge cheques……..McWynnty has driven Ontari-owe into `have not` province status and sees no why she shouldn’t ruin the federal finances as well……what a fool and a hypocrite!
By the way, now that the cops have proof that McWynnty LIED about gas plant facts, do you suppose she will show any class and apologize to Conservatives and withdraw her `slander` lawsuit ….or will she simply slink away like a (LIE-BERAL) thief in the night?
As for the free trade agreement……it`s the ONLY thing preventing Yankee Tea Party loons from slamming shut the border and locking out ALL Cdn business-they have been trying to ban imports of Cdn grain, lumber and farm products and auto parts for decades and are now trying to shut out Cdn oil by halting construction of Keystone pipeline. Why not sell the damned oil to the Chinese? After all THEY are willing to pay a ten dollar a barrel premium for a reliable supply!

Hoid
Jaguar I Pace all electric luxury SUV to arrive in North America by Zjune. Slower than the tesla it still packs 500 plus foot pounds of torque, will fast charge to 80 % capacity in less than an hour and gets slightly less range than the tesla.

A serious competitor arrives in probably the most important market segment.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Jaguar I Pace all electric luxury SUV to arrive in North America by Zjune. Slower than the tesla it still packs 500 plus foot pounds of torque, will fast charge to 80 % capacity in less than an hour and gets slightly less range than the tesla.

I bet the 1% of the population that can afford a Jaguar in the first place is salivating.

spilledthebeer
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

I bet the 1% of the population that can afford a Jaguar in the first place is salivating.

Here is a chunk of LIE-beral propaganda that tries and fails to persuade us that electric cars will be good for us! With some comments of my own in brackets):

Why Lorrie Goldstein is wrong about electric cars

Alan Hayes, Special to the Toronto Sun. First posted: Thursday, November 03, 2016 05:41 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, November 03, 2016 05:45 PM EDT

Trudeau Liberals set to join Wynne Liberals in helping rich people buy electric cars. Questions after Murray staffer takes post with Tesla

Re Lorrie Goldstein’s column “Trudeau Liberals set to join Wynne Liberals in helping rich people buy electric cars.”

I own and operate EcoLimo Niagara. This is a local Niagara company specializing in zero-emission transportation. I operate a Tesla Model S, providing the ultimate “Eco-Friendly” wine tours, airport transfers, sightseeing, etc.

(That`s nice- Tesla model S is the LUXURY vehicle sold to environmentally conscious MILLIONAIRES!)

I previously owned and operated EcoLimo York Region for 10 years, where I provided low-emission transportation with hybrid vehicles.

(Oh my- you had HYBRID vehicles? In an OPEN admission that an all electric car simply does not have the range NOR the swift refueling capacity and convenience of a gasoline car?)

I am a proponent of Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne’s Electric Vehicle (EV) incentive program as I see this is a great way to help get more electric vehicles into the taxi and airport transfer industry.

(Sadly- as other Toronto Sun writers have proved- the great majority of those who support electric cars do so FOR THE GOVT SUBSIDIES!)

We currently have thousands of gas-guzzling vehicles burning millions of gallons of gasoline and propane in vehicles that often carry just one passenger.

If the owners of these vehicles could use substantial incentives to purchase electric vehicles and/or plug-in hybrids, we could reduce our carbon footprint by a huge amount.

(Sadly, we cannot afford such subsidies! One has only to look at the latest tv commercials in this summer of 2017- in which the gas powered Nissan Qashqai is offered at $20,000.00 Cdn while the new Tesla model 3 is offered at $35,000.00 U.S! Which makes the model 3 about DOUBLE the cost of a gas powered Nissan! With the added bonus that the Model 3 is untested in real world conditions and has that pesky limited range and awkward refueling deal as well as the extra cost! With the further bonus that Nissan parts are available off the shelf at various retail outlets while Tesla parts are offered at.......some place......?)

(Sadly, Hayes IGNORES a quicker, cheaper and vastly easier method of cutting down on green house gas emissions! We COULD simply cut back on the gravy we pay to civil service union Hogs! An admittedly informal survey reveals that the majority of those lining up at any airport are Hogs! And why not? We pay them at least one third MORE than similar workers in the private sector- and that does NOT include their HUGE pension rip off! Ontari-owe LIE-berals have promised an extra fifty five Billion dollars in pension top ups to OSSTF/Ontari-owe high school teachers- with EIGHTEEN other unions promised hundreds of billions more! Cut gravy payments to Hogs and watch our air miraculously CLEAR!)

(Think of the THOUSANDS of ATV`s, riding lawn mowers, sea- doos and all those HUGE gas guzzling motor boats rumbling along waterways at gallons per mile and NOT miles per gallon! Think of the “bubble systems” those eldctrically powere air compressors that pump air into pipes laid on lake bottoms to keep water stirred up for 6 months each year so Hogs will not have ice damage on their precious cedar constructions!)

Lorrie wrote:

“The emission cuts are so low because few people buy electric cars, with good reason.

“Electric vehicles are more expensive than conventional ones and have limited range, which decreases in cold weather.

“Who buys them? Rich people.”

(Goldstein fails to mention that Lithium- the major component in any battery is at least as toxic as oil ans may be WORSE! Additionally, Lithium may be in SHORTER supply than oil. And Lithium is highly flammable if exposed to air- as my happen in a car crash where the battery case is damaged -which will produce a major fire that no Cnd fire dept is currently equipped to deal with!)

This doesn’t sound like someone who has- I quote from his reply to me: “Nothing against the owners of electric cars” and has “no problem with me or anyone else buying an electric car or taking advantage of an available public subsidy.”

(Lorrie said he was against the government giving out such a subsidy. Generally Motors has announced that it will LOSE $9,000.00 U.S. on every electric car it manages to sell in California- with the losses made up by higher prices on all other GM products! Sounds like a great way to encourage fraud and fakery when buying a car along the state lines!)

He mentioned a few, very highly priced electric vehicles like the Porsche 918 Spyder BMW I8, Fisker Karma & Tesla Roadster.

These are a fraction of the electric cars sold in Canada.

Strange he didn’t mention cars like the Nissan Leaf, Chevy Volt etc. that have far more substantive sales.

(AS other Sun reporters have noted- the ONLY people supporting electric cars are a few eccentric millionaires and a batch of others who are getting major subsidies at OUR cost!)

The point of using public money to encourage early adopters to move to cleaner technology, is that gas fuelled cars are polluting public air with health-compromising pollution and greenhouse gases leading to global warming.

Lorrie wrote: “The government has now limited subsidies to electric cars costing up to $150,000. An upper limit of $50,000 would at least be more reasonable”.

This does not show that the higher subsidies are capped at $75,000.

(Who cares about which upper limit is more reasonable? Most Cdns think the nine grand GM is offering is Bull-s++t! And comparing Nissan Qashqai to Tesla model 3 prices ain`t helping!)

Wouldn’t it have been better if he said that the government has capped the subsidies of electric cars costing $75,000 and that electric vehicles that cost between $75,000 and$150,000 now have a much lower subsidy of $3,000?

I am a member of a few local electric car clubs/groups and there are many Tesla owners who are not “rich people”.

(Its all a matter of perspective- after all- thousands of cdns on the Sunshine List do not define themselves as rich!)

Although I am sure there are some wealthy Tesla owners out there, many of them are just ordinary middle class people that understand the value of an electric car’s very low operating costs, not to mention the environmental benefits.

I invited Lorrie to attend a meeting or two of any of a number of electric vehicle car clubs/groups to meet the early adopters, as he would then have a better insight towards local electric vehicle owners, their cars and why they are the groundbreakers of the future!

I’m still working on Lorrie to go to one or two of these meetings!

(I aks: Why don’t you quit wasting time with Lorrie and put up a comprehensive list of who is getting what subsidies in exchange for their electric car support?)

- Hayes operates EcoLimoNiagara dot com

(And apparently he has a nice little sideline as an electric car booster- probably with suitable govt subsidies!)

Hoid
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...ers/397123002/

Uber begins driverless trucking across Arizona.

The revolution is upon us.

spilledthebeer
+1

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...ers/397123002/

Uber begins driverless trucking across Arizona.

The revolution is upon us.

Yeah- and the revolution will continue up till some Muslim hacks the software and uses the trucks as weapons! Or until Arizona cartage companies find out how reliable the batteries are in the cold- just as TTC did! OOPSIE!

Cannuck
Much better

Murphy
[youtube]KsPJt7X9r_8[/youtube]

spilledthebeer
Quote: Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

[youtube]KsPJt7X9r_8[/youtube]

Here is a reminder of the LIE-beral bribery and CORRUPTION behind the use of electric vehicles:

LIE-berals tell us their gross Green Energy mess is good for us and point to various corporations that have jumped on the mouldy green band wagon as proof that the LIE-beral Green Energy and Carbon crap and trade scam messes are working and are accepted by the public. This article presents the truth re LIE-beral energy and environmental failures. With some comments of my own in brackets):

Big business has bought into the green agenda for the subsidies

By Lorne Gunter , Edmonton Sun. First posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2017 05:12 PM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, June 13, 2017 05:23 PM EDT

Monday, Wood Mackenzie, a leading oil, gas, mining and renewable energy analysis firm, issued a report claiming “major oil and gas producers will put more of their capital into wind and solar developments as returns from renewables are poised to exceed some hydrocarbon projects.”

In short, a global consulting firm says major energy companies are going to put lots of money into “green” energy while scaling back on fossil fuels because there is now as much or more money to be made in renewables.

Every time similar news comes out – and it comes out about once a month these days – my Inbox is jammed with told-ya-so messages from “green” activists saying things like, “See, see, even corporate executives accept that climate change is real. They’re ready to do something about it. Why don’t you stop defending carbon.” (Expletives deleted.)

(LIE-berals and their Hog allies have NO intention of telling the truth about green energy. Not about how costly it is. Not about what a job killer it is. Not about the HUGE subsidies that govt throws at green jobs. Green supporters are willing to `modify` the news as necessary to make it LOOK like Green Energy is working well!)

It happened after U.S. President Donald Trump withdrew from the Paris accord and the next day an American headline trumpeted “Corporate America scolds Trump for dumping climate agreement.”

(In truth “Corporate America” is simply afraid that their VERY PROFITABLE green subsidies may be cut!)

It happened last month when London’s Financial Times printed a feature entitled “The Big Green Bang: how renewable energy became unstoppable.” And in March when financial news service Bloomberg carried a headline proclaiming “Big Oil replaces rigs with wind turbines.”

What’s missing in all of these stories is not the what, but the why?

Why, for instance, would executives from four oil and oilsands companies have stood at the podium in November 2015 when Alberta Premier Rachel Notley announced her carbon tax and Climate Leadership Plan?

After all, aren’t corporate execs all about maximizing profits (i.e. greed)? Aren’t they all climate change “deniers” who are against the “green” economy? If even they are worried enough about the future of our planet to go “green,” shouldn’t we all do the same?

Frankly, no.

First of all, there are lots of “wets” – intellectual liberals – among the corporate elites. Indeed, the wealthiest 10% in Western countries are now more likely to vote and donate to the left than to the right.

(A CEO knows to follow the money and right now the money is ALL held by govt! Why run a private business trying to lure in finicky consumers who are broke anyway when you can get a flood of money by sucking up to govt? So what if the govt is LIE-beral- their money has no party affiliation!)

A subconscious feeling of guilt over being prosperous, coupled with peer pressure, have created a need among today’s corporate class to be seen to be socially aware.

But the biggest single reason for this new “green” enlightenment among major energy companies? Subsidies.

(LIE-berals LOVE subsidies. They are paying 900 percent MORE for wind power in Ontari-owe than for other forms of electrical generation. Have signed contracts guaranteeing they will buy any and all green energy produced, regardless of our real needs- which is why they must so often SELL electricity to other provinces and states at a HUGE LOSS! Have re-jigged our electrical grid so we DON’T use as much low cost water power for generation as we once did- in order to MAKE ROOM for unreliable and COSTLY green energy on the grid and it all costs money. Add in the fact that most of the green energy projects are owned by LIE-beral friends and or by financial experts investing Hog pension money in wind farms and you have a HUGE array of LIE-beral pals making a LOT of money off green energy- and LIE-berals are GENEROUS to their supporters!)

There are literally hundreds of billions of dollars in taxpayers’ and electricity consumers’ dollars on offer from governments. And drilling for subsidies seems certain to produce a steadier income stream than drilling for hydrocarbons.

Just three reasonably minor examples from Canada illustrate the problem.

Current “green” energy plans by Ontario’s Liberal government are expected to add $170 billion to residential and industrial power bills by 2032. That’s government forcing consumers to subsidize “green” energy companies.

In Alberta, a carbon tax to subsidize renewable energy and energy-efficiency conversions in new and existing buildings will cost the average family $1,000 a year by 2018 and raise around $3 billion a year for the provincial NDP to toss around at all manner of save-the-planet schemes.

And calculations by Calgary author and policy analyst Mark Milke show that between 2000 and 2016, 80% of the billions in industrial subsidies given out by Natural Resources Canada went to renewable energy companies.

(Mouldy green LIE-beral policy ONLY cleans wallets and leaves the dirt in the air!)

Around the world it’s the same or worse. Governments are pouring slop pails full of taxpayer dollars at wind, solar, biomass and other alternate energies. It’s almost certain none of these energies would be profitable without massive subsidies.

With oil stubbornly below $50US/bbl., getting “green” politicians to squeeze taxpayers and consumers for huge subsidies and massive electricity rate increases is a great way for oil executives to make up sagging profits.

It’s Big “Green” and Big Oil versus taxpayers and consumers.

(The worst of it is that LIE-berals deliberately ignore the simple solutions to fossil fuel use. They refuse to cut back on Hog gravy. Take a drive up to the north east GTA -the side roads east and south of Newmarket and look at all the 3, 5, 10 acre estates out there- each one with a 3 or 4 car garage- with so many cars there is no need for public transit out that way! And in fact NONE exists- it is classic urban sprawl car culture- SPAWNED by Sunshine List Hogs! It is classic urban sprawl- the LIE-berals want US to forget about! But its FINE for LIE-beral pals to live in- and LIE-berals are launching their Carbon crap and trade scam so they will have MORE GRAVY for Hogs who already have the largest carbon foot print!)

(Then take your canoe up to the Muskoka Lakes and paddle around counting up the number of gas guzzling toys buzzing around you! And again- ask: how many Sunshine List Hogs are here? The true answer ought to be INFURIATING FOR YOU! Unless YOU are a Hog!)

(If govt simply cut back on gravy for Hogs, they would do as we peasants have done all along- they would SHRINK their gross carbon foot print down to more modest levels! They would drive smaller cars and drive less frequently. They would own smaller and easier to heat dwellings. They would think twice before pulling out the gas guzzling toys, and might look to less damaging forms of fun! With less gravy, Hogs would even cut back on airline travel and airplanes are the most dirty way to move anything! But LIE-beral lust for power at any price coupled with Hog greed means none of these environment saving options will ever be used! Cut back on Hog gravy and we could even save our economy!)

(LIE-berals will continue to buy both Hog votes and corporate support with OUR money while the environment burns, the economy wobbles under its debt loads and LIE-beral pals get rich! LIE-beral Dalton McGinty told us years ago that it “was time for govt to start picking economic winners and losers in Ontari-owe”. Just our luck that ALL the winners have been carbon spewing LIE-beral PALS!)

OpposingDigit
How Cars Came to Rule the Roads
There is little doubt that cars have played a major role in shaping North American cities. But a century ago, it was pedestrians that ruled the roads. According to Peter Norton, author of "Fighting Traffic: the Dawn of the Motor Age in the American City," they weren't quite as accepting of the dawn of the automobile age as some might believe. He joins Steve Paikin to discuss his research.
TVO - The Agenda
Host Steve Paikin interviews Peter D. Norton
March 06, 2018
(Flash Video)
https://tvo.org/video/programs/the-a...rule-the-roads

spilledthebeer
Quote: Originally Posted by OpposingDigit View Post

There is little doubt that cars have played a major role in shaping North American cities. But a century ago, it was pedestrians that ruled the roads. According to Peter Norton, author of "Fighting Traffic: the Dawn of the Motor Age in the American City," they weren't quite as accepting of the dawn of the automobile age as some might believe. He joins Steve Paikin to discuss his research.
TVO - The Agenda
March 06, 2018
(Flash Video)

Yeah, yeah......Paikin will do his level best to give all sides a chance to speak and in the end it will be left to voters to decide who makes the best points on the subject......

Too bad for LIE-berals that Cdn voters have ALREADY DECIDED!

WANT TO DO SOMETHING FOR THE ENVIRONMENT? Good! First thing we do is dispose of LIE-berals and their carbon fuel loving civil service union Hog allies!

Here is a reminder of why LIE-beral policy is FAILING on all fronts:

Here is some more on the Metrolinx outrage and the efforts of LIE-beral transport minister Del Duca to bury the problem-along with some comments of my own in brackets):

Metrolinx stumbles from crisis to crisis. First posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2016 10:39 PM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, August 02, 2016 10:49 PM EDT

Metrolinx's UP Express which carries passengers between Union Station and Pearson Airport. (Toronto Sun files)

The good news is, or rather was, that Ontario Transportation Minister Steven Del Duca was finally driven by repeated Metrolinx screw-ups to order a review of the province’s disaster-prone regional transportation agency.

The bad news is Metrolinx Chair Rob Prichard got in a snit about it and told the Metrolinx board he got Del Duca to substantially “soften” and limit “the breadth” of that review.

(Great-the Metrolinx HOGS are telling the guys that sign their pay cheques to mind their own business!)

That letter having gotten out courtesy of the Toronto Sun’s Shawn Jeffords, spokesmen for Del Duca and Prichard now say everything’s proceeding swimmingly with the review which is supposed to be out in the fall.

In other words, instead of kicking down doors and taking names, which is what is clearly needed to right the listing Metrolinx ship, it sounds like this review will be little more than a whitewash of this “arm’s length” government agency as it stumbles from disaster to disaster.

Metrolinx ignored seven — SEVEN! — of its own detailed reports telling it the $27.50 one-way fare it was planning to charge for the Union-to-Pearson Express was too high to attract riders.

Metrolinx charged it anyway and riders stayed away in droves, until it finally lowered the fare to $12.

Then there was Metrolinx’s bizarre, costly and unnecessary promotion of new uniforms for UP staff.

Plus its pointless cross-promotion deals with everything from the Toronto International Film Festival to a Toronto, Buffalo Bills football game, which always seemed to end with Metrolinx staff being showered with goodies.

(I say Del Duca won’t want to admit it but Metrolinx Hogs are simply behaving like LIE-berals! All Hogs think they are ENTITLED-just like little kids in a candy store whose parents have told them they can have anything they want!)

Ontario’s Liberal government created Metrolinx to take the heat off itself on major transit decisions — then overruled it anyway, when, for example, the Liberals decided they needed to back a Scarborough subway, instead of an LRT, to get a Liberal candidate elected in a Scarborough byelection..

(And now that a LIE-beral represents Scarborough, WILL there be a subway? Gosh NO! What is wrong with Hogs that they continue to BELIEVE LIE-berals-in SPITE of the roughly THREE HUNDRED BILLION DOLLARS in outstanding pension IOU`s that LIE-berals have offered up but cannot pay for!)

Then auditor general Jim McCarter blasted Metrolinx in 2012 for letting the budget for its “Presto” pass almost triple to $700 million.

(Hey-if EXCESS is good for ORNGE and E-health its certainly good enough for Metrolinx! Or is it?)

On Tuesday, Metrolinx awarded a $428 million contract to build double-decker Go Trains to Bombardier, even though the company is behind schedule on a $1 billion streetcar order with Toronto and a previous $770 million contract with Metrolinx for LRTs.

Maybe it’s time to put Metrolinx out of its — and our — misery.

(Oh-I would say its WAY PAST TIME! Metrolinx was created to get things done-and NOTHING is being done. The only thing being built is Eglinton LRT-and its being done because of former Toronto mayor Rob Ford-who recognized that the city had money for either Hog gravy OR they could have money for LRT-BUT NOT BOTH-so Ford cut the gravy!)

(Metrolinx was supposed to make transit choices-and they have been over ruled on Scarborough subway by LIE-berals. They were supposed to ensure transit jobs such as UP line were done on time and on budget-ANOTHER FAIL! And what of the MESS on Queens Quay? Over time and over budget-with a BADLY designed intersection that causes all manner of trouble for drivers! They HAVE provided a series of studies on Toronto transit options as requested-but since the city and province are BROKE-nothing will be built. And we don’t need more plans-we need cash money and shovels in the ground and Metrolinx ain’t needed for that! Kick those Hogs out of OUR trough! )

JLM
Not for another 100 years AT LEAST!

Hoid
Quote: Originally Posted by OpposingDigit View Post

TVO - The Agenda
March 06, 2018
(Flash Video)

The term playground was invented when cars first appeared because there were no rules beyond those for horses and kids in cities were getting run over left and right. So they put fences around fields and called them playgrounds.

OpposingDigit
Hi! Hoid

The SpilledTheBeer comment was just too deep for me.

I viewed the Paikin interview and enjoyed the "Trivia" only. Like Playground and J-Walking.

Hoid
I have him on ignore

spilledthebeer
+1

LIE-berals expose their poisoned thinking by calling Jaguar electric car "the most important market segment"! What it comes down ot is that Jaguar WILL become the most important market segment once LIE-berals have forced us off THEIR roads and the only car buyers left or Sunshine List civil service union Hogs!

Gilgamesh
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Is Canada ready for the coming electric vehicle revolution?

Two of the world's largest auto manufacturers — Ford and General Motors (GM) — made headlines this week by announcing a significant widening of their electric offerings in the near future, seen by many as emblematic as a broader industry move away from the gasoline engine.

But is B.C. ready for that change?

While electric vehicles are becoming increasingly popular in urban centres like Vancouver and Victoria, much of rural B.C. still has concerns.

Michelle Mungall, provincial energy minister and MLA for Nelson-Creston, says electric vehicles will be an important part of reducing B.C.'s carbon emissions. But she says her constituents have concerns about the adoption of new technology when their cars are such essential lifelines.

"I have one of the highest mountain passes that I have to cross over right in the middle of my riding," Mungall said, referring to Kootenay Pass between Salmo and Creston.

"My number one concern is, will an electric vehicle get me through a blizzard on that highest pass in Canada?"

Winter conditions can hamper the performance of electric cars because low temperatures affect battery capacity.

Dispelling myths

Andrew Weaver, leader of the B.C. Green party and owner of an electric vehicle himself, says these concerns represent the biggest hurdles facing the wider adoption of electric vehicles.

While [Weaver admits] it is true that an electric vehicle's range suffers in the winter, he said electric vehicles already have ranges comparable to gasoline-powered cars.

"A lot of what's out there is folklore that's not true and barriers that are artificial," Weaver said.

He also disputed the notion that electric vehicles take a long time to charge, saying he can charge his vehicle from 20 to 80 per cent in 15 minutes with a specialized DC fast charger.

Infrastructure lacking

But that belies another significant problem, which is the lack of infrastructure. It can be hard enough to find standard charging stations outside of major urban centres, let alone fast chargers.

Weaver said one of the main reasons charging infrastructure isn't more widespread is because of unnecessary regulatory barriers. He noted, for example, that a company must be registered as a utility before it can charge a customer for use of charging station.

While B.C. already has a number of incentives in place — including a $40 million commitment to increasing electric vehicle adoption in the NDP government's recent budget update — Weaver said it's still not enough.

"We are lagging behind many other jurisdictions [in this]," he said.

Major market shift

While the difference in transportation needs between urban and rural dwellers is significant, moves like those from GM and Ford may help with rural adoption of electric vehicle technology.

Matthew Klippenstein, a professional engineer and co-host of the podcast Cleantech Talk, says such a dramatic lineup overhaul from major manufacturers is a signal to consumers that electric vehicles are ready for prime time.

"I'm sure that we'll see dozens if not hundreds of new options in the coming, say, five years — not just from GM but every other auto maker, making sure that, if a customer wants something, they have a product to meet that desire," Klippenstein said.

There are about as many Ford F-150s — a top-selling truck — sold in a month as there are electric vehicles sold in a year in Canada, he noted, so the electric conversion of that one product line alone is a significant market shakeup.

Tomorrow comes today

But the auto industry moves at a glacial place when it comes to adopting new technology, Klippenstein said — largely due to the massive investment required in development.

For Weaver, the detrimental environmental effect of B.C.'s continued reliance on the internal combustion engine means it's too important to wait. He wants the province to reduce barriers and adopt a zero-emissions vehicle policy similar to Quebec's.

"We cannot afford to be not aggressive," Weaver said.

Is B.C. ready for the coming electric vehicle revolution? - British Columbia - CBC News

Absolute rubbish interlaced with bullpucky.

If electric cars are indeed as viable as he & others claim, then they do not need these humungous rebates to survive in the marketplace.

Electric cars are great for urban use; period.

The charging station he describes costs thousands.

But of course, our empty headed PM loves them, and in Ontario the corrupt and terminally incompetent Liberals likewise adores them.

JLM
It's about the stupidest f**king idea so far this century! We have a resource in the ground valued at $trillions and gasoline operated cars on the road valued at $billions................stuff the idea where the sun don't shine for another 100 years!

Hoid
It is normal for people to wonder about practicality, but the fact is the gas powered car is going to be phased out much sooner than people understand.

At this point the only thing preventing it is the oil and gas lobby - and lets face it they have run this country for many years.

If anyone had bothered to listen to the Trudeau/Bill Nye discussion the scientist mentioned studies that have shown Canada could convert to alternative energy right now.

This is no pipe dream, this is actual civil engineering.

Guess where the majority of the energy would come from?

The prairies and their endless supply of wind.

It will be a massive growth sector in the years to come, just as oil and gas are phased out.

DaSleeper
Who in this forum has an electric car??

Or are all the proponents damned hypocrites of the do as I say not as I do caliber?
Put your money where your mouth is!
Speak up don't be shy!...with proof, not bullshite!

Gilgamesh
+1
Bill Nye is not a scientist. His stance on global warming is as ridiculous as that other charlatan Suzuki.

Hoid
He is a mechanical engineer.

And his stance on global warming is the same as just about everyone else's

Gilgamesh
+1
Some day they will invent the ideal battery. Since the electric motor with its maximum torque @ 0 rpm is ideal for propelling vehicles it will replace the IC engine.

That time won't come for a while.

BTW electric cars are most certainly NOT zero emission cars. Battery production is a really dirty process
& electrical production ditto. Another BS lie from the enviro-liars corner.

Hoid
If you attempt to draw me into a climate change argument you will be twit listed.

Gilgamesh
+1
Re. Nye. Your post is a lie. His stand on global warming is shared by (mainly) three groups of people. Gullible neurotic fools,scientists eager for a piece of the multi million $ govt grants, & the usual politicians who never saw a tax they didnt like.

Happily, with the collapse of the utterly ineffectual Paris Accord and most govts abandoning the 'carbon tax', surveys show that support for this nonsense is collapsing.

BTW the reason EU & other govts have abandoned the'carbon tax' is twofold. First it didnt cut carbon emissions,and second it badly damaged the economy and employment.

Meanwhile the two biggest offenders, China & India prattled on about meeting targets on their own schedules while building coal plants as fast as possible.

Ironically,Ilove this one the USA which refused to sign onto thos BS has grown it economy AND kept its emissions steady. ROFL

Hoid
+1
twit

Gilgamesh
+1

twit

A wonderfully literate succinct reply on your part proving I am right.

The only unknown is which cohort you belong to.

As far as CAGW goes,there is nothing to debate.

CO2 has been way higher and lower during Ice Ages & periods where the earth was much warmer than it is today. In other words, pretty much historically proven to be irrelevant.

CO2 levels have continued to climb while for the last years temps have plateau'd.

Finally, the killer.

The IPCC which has been the bs alarmists gold standard & which spent decades scaring the planet with fairy stories about runaway Thermageddon recently admitted that earths climate is too complex for any accurate forecasts to be made. WOW!

Of course you probably still believe in the old bs slogan about "97% of scientists say".

You label me as a twit.

LOL take a look in the mirror.