Stuffed Rabbits

Dingus
I reenact a Tudor commoner, and to add some "business" for visitors, I want to play a poacher and so am looking for some realistic dead rabbits. These can either be real stuffed specimens, or realistic fakes, but I am having trouble finding anyone who can supply. Is there anyone out there who can advise please?

petros
Try a taxidermist.

YukonJack
Taxidermy? Read the book by C.J. Box titled "In plain sight".

Sorry to have given up the plot!?

Dingus
Taxidermist specimens are either 1. Mounted or posed, or 2. Stiff as a board. I need something that is pliable and looks "just killed".

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by Dingus View Post

Taxidermist specimens are either 1. Mounted or posed, or 2. Stiff as a board. I need something that is pliable and looks "just killed".

If you are anywhere near the 401 in Ontario, you should be able to find quite a few. You should be able to find fresh road kill on any given day. Harvest as needed.

petros
+1
#6  Top Rated Post

Hmmmm. Did you try knitting little rabbit bonnets for cats?

YouTube - ‪?????????‬‎

Nuggler
I have a rubber chicken or two you're welcome to. Glue some ears on 'em.

petros
+1

karrie

A good taxidermist should be able to create what you need. It's just a matter of treatments and fillings being tweaked for the effect.

Zan
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

rofl!!!

Dingus
LOL. You rotten lot. I KNEW I'd get some weird answers, but you HAVE brightened up my evening (loved the pics). Cheers Karrie I will explore the taxidermy option further as I haven't resorted to knitting yet.

CDNBear

LOL. You rotten lot. I KNEW I'd get some weird answers...

You have no idea...

Hence why I refrained from posting about the purchase of duct tape and Vaseline.

petros
I'm sorry but I couldn't resist.

It might be pricey but try an animatronics outfit.

Dingus
The mind boggles!

Cliffy
Or staple a real set of rabbit ears to a cat.

Dingus
I have found a film and TV props compant that o exactly what I'm looking for but only for hire (15 per) not to buy which is what I'm looking for. Cheers!

Don't know where you are, but in the news a few days ago was a pet rabbit who had had its ears burned off by some ..... person.

karrie

LOL. You rotten lot. I KNEW I'd get some weird answers, but you HAVE brightened up my evening (loved the pics). Cheers Karrie I will explore the taxidermy option further as I haven't resorted to knitting yet.

It seems to me something you could fill the body of with lentils once complete would create the desired 'limp rabbit' effect.

Dingus
Not a bad idea thanks (its gotta be better than stapling bunny ears to a cat). I'll let you know how I get on. There are plenty of places I can get rabbit pelts from, but a whole skin is proving difficult.

karrie

Not a bad idea thanks (its gotta be better than stapling bunny ears to a cat). I'll let you know how I get on. There are plenty of places I can get rabbit pelts from, but a whole skin is proving difficult.

Check around local farming communities... someone usually always has a warren that's gotten out of hand.

Dingus
I have put the word out. My son helps with the culling of deer on various estates so he i also asking some of his contacts for some rabbits which can be skinned in their entirety. Fingers crossed. I reenat at a place called Kentwell Hall. Feel free to google Kentwell to see what we do.

CDNBear

I have put the word out. My son helps with the culling of deer on various estates so he i also asking some of his contacts for some rabbits which can be skinned in their entirety. Fingers crossed. I reenat at a place called Kentwell Hall. Feel free to google Kentwell to see what we do.

If you need tips on skinning and tanning hides, let me know, I do both.

Dingus
That's great, I may well take you up on that CDNBear. I have discovered that the Tudor way of tanning was to mash up the rabbits brain (lovely) and rub it into the skin. Is this something you have come across?

CDNBear

That's great, I may well take you up on that CDNBear. I have discovered that the Tudor way of tanning was to mash up the rabbits brain (lovely) and rub it into the skin. Is this something you have come across?

Ya, that's brain tanning.

Are you a strict re-enactor?

I have a couple friends here who do re-enacting, and such. Some won't do anything but time period processes, where others will cheat.

Equal parts rubbing alcohol and turpentine will cure a rabbit hide in no time, and leave the fur just fine. Although it take a while to get the smell out, lol. Sometimes brain will loosen the fur.

karrie

brain works well. A more conventional approach is crisco. Either way, it's rubbing fat into the skin.

Dingus
I try to be strict but its not a religion. If something works then why not?

Sorry - what is crisco?

karrie

I try to be strict but its not a religion. If something works then why not?

Sorry - what is crisco?

vegetable shortening.

Dingus
Ok thanks. Never heard of it. It is probably called something different here in Enland.

karrie
yeah, crisco's a brand name... I didn't even think.

Dingus
No probs. Its been good talking with you. Thanks again for your info.

Goober

No probs. Its been good talking with you. Thanks again for your info.

Try lard - another name for it.

Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

yeah, crisco's a brand name... I didn't even think.

Karrie - I think that after reading your post and mine we are and should be named as the co-discoverers of where the term Lard Ass comes from.

Teamwork - Thats what teamwork does.