Name your favorite Frenchperson in history

Said1
For me it's Talleyrand. I'm in awe of how he managed to keep his head.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/T/Talleyra.asp

Colpy
Alexis de Tocqueville, author of Democracy in America

Said1
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy

Alexis de Tocqueville, author of Democracy in America

Yep, good pick.

I've haven't read that book from beginning to end, Tocqueville babbles a bit too much for me - like Tolstoy.

#juan
How about;Louis Braille he invented "braille", a world wide system of embossed type used by blind and partially sighted people for reading and writing. It has been adapted to almost every known language, from Albanian to Zulu.

Said1
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan

How about;Louis Braille he invented "braille", a world wide system of embossed type used by blind and partially sighted people for reading and writing. It has been adapted to almost every known language, from Albanian to Zulu.

Good pick too, but no scandle or beheadings.

Daz_Hockey
William "La batard" the conqueror (real name Guilliam Hocke) supposed frenchman from normandy......or that would be what the french will tell you.

He's actually a norman (meaning norseman) and is german, and translated Guilliam Hocke means "Darren Hockey"!!!!

I think not
Joseph Guillotin, he showed them "blue blooded" bastards a thing or two.

Said1
Quote: Originally Posted by Daz_Hockey

William "La batard" the conqueror (real name Guilliam Hocke) supposed frenchman from normandy......or that would be what the french will tell you.

He's actually a norman (meaning norseman) and is german, and translated Guilliam Hocke means "Darren Hockey"!!!!

Why was he a bastard, didn't his father acknowledge him?

I think not
Said1 dressed up like her avatar suggests is my favorite, and I don't care if she is French or not. :P

Daz_Hockey
Quote: Originally Posted by Said1

Why was he a bastard, didn't his father acknowledge him?

supposedly, thats what the french at the time called him, just bad press if you ask me

cortezzz
louis pasteur

Finder
Maximilien François Marie Isidore de Robespierre
Jacobin leader during the French revolution and terror. He is a mark on any revolution gone wrong, a romantic figure with many flaws, one of his biggest, getting his head seperated from his neck.

Kreskin
Guy Lafleur

Said1
Quote: Originally Posted by Finder

Maximilien François Marie Isidore de Robespierre
Jacobin leader during the French revolution and terror. He is a mark on any revolution gone wrong, a romantic figure with many flaws, one of his biggest, getting his head seperated from his neck.

The public accusor, quite the nut.

Louis Pasteur, rabies vaccine, right?

Finder
Said1, well thank you... I wouldn't say nut though, I don't think he was crazy.. He was a dreamer, a radical, a Utopianist and someone dreaming for a better world for the "common good". In a nut shell, the most dangerous kind of person.

athabaska
Catherine Deneuve

Also a clown called 'Patof' who hosted a show called 'Patofville' I used to watch in Montreal as a university student. I learned French mostly by watching kids' shows.

Said1

Said1, well thank you... I wouldn't say nut though, I don't think he was crazy.. He was a dreamer, a radical, a Utopianist and someone dreaming for a better world for the "common good". In a nut shell, the most dangerous kind of person.

What? You do know what happened to the people he accussed during the "terror", right?

Honestly, I think he started out ok, although an elitest at heart, I think he went mad from paranoia in the end.

Here's another I like - Charlotte Corday - she killed Marat, probably would have wacked Robispierre if given the chance.

cortezzz
InventorsLouis Pasteur
By Mary Bellis

Louis Pasteur Dec. 27, 1822- Sept. 28, 1895

Louis Pasteur was born in Dole France, married to Marie Laurent and had five children. Three of his children died of typhoid fever, maybe leading to Pasteur's drive to save people from disease. He graduated in 1842 from Besancon College Royal de la Franche with honors in physics, mathematics, Latin, and drawing. Louis Pasteur later attended Ecole Normale to study physics and chemistry, specializing in crystals. In his early research Pasteur worked with the wine growers of France, helping with the fermentation process to develop a way to pasteurize and kill germs. Pasteur then worked within the textile industry finding a cure for a disease affecting silk worms. Louis Pasteur also found cures for chicken cholera, anthrax and rabies.

The Pasteur Institute was opened in 1888. During Louis Pasteur's lifetime it was not easy for him to convince others of his ideas, controversial in their time but considered absolutely correct today. Pasteur fought to convince surgeons that germs existed and carried diseases, and dirty instruments and hands spread germs and therefore disease. Pasteur's pasteurization process, kills germs and prevents the spread of disease.

Louis Pasteur's main contributions to microbiology and medicine were; instituting changes in hospital/medical practices to minimize the spread of disease by microbes or germs, discovering that weak forms of disease could be used as an immunization against stronger forms and that rabies was transmitted by viruses too small to be seen under the microscopes of the time, introducing the medical world to the concept of viruses.

"Did you ever observe to whom the accidents happen? Chance favors only the prepared mind" - Louis Pasteur

Louis Pasteur
Louis Pasteur's inventions were based on fermentation and improved brewing, Louis Pasteur invented pasteurization.

Louis Pasteur
His discovery that most infectious diseases are caused by germs, known as the "germ theory of disease," is one of the most important in medical history.

########################################
Louis Pasteur (1822-1895)
If one were to choose among the greatest benefactors of humanity, Louis Pasteur would certainly rank at the top. He solved the mysteries of rabies, anthrax, chicken cholera, and silkworm diseases, and contributed to the development of the first vaccines.
#######################################

Finder
Said1, of course I know what he did. He was as sane as the next person, though in insane times, I guess everyone was a little insane. But he was convinced of his doctine, that of rational thought. He was also convinced about the common good, he was not nuts, a murder yes in the sence the whole society had started to eat it's own, but he was far from nuts.

Hes my favorite because he shows the module of these Uptopian thinkers to come and what will happen as the belief in the "common good" becomes even stronger. All of our leaders in the world today have many of Robespierre's quilities in them, many of which are flaws.

Said1

Said1, of course I know what he did. He was as sane as the next person, though in insane times, I guess everyone was a little insane. But he was convinced of his doctine, that of rational thought. He was also convinced about the common good, he was not nuts, a murder yes in the sence the whole society had started to eat it's own, but he was far from nuts.

Hes my favorite because he shows the module of these Uptopian thinkers to come and what will happen as the belief in the "common good" becomes even stronger. All of our leaders in the world today have many of Robespierre's quilities in them, many of which are flaws.

We can agree to disagree.

Talleyrand is still my favorite. Not for what he did for France, he was obviously and opportunist, I'm just impressed with his survival skills, given the times and all.

Martin Le Acadien
Mon Votre Ca pour Louis Broussard.

Acadien Resistance Leader from whom I am descended, Vive Acadie. 1732-1765 Born Port Royal, died in St. Martinville, Louisiane.

Finder
Quote: Originally Posted by Martin Le Acadien

Mon Votre Ca pour Louis Broussard.

Acadien Resistance Leader from whom I am descended, Vive Acadie. 1732-1765 Born Port Royal, died in St. Martinville, Louisiane.

we are talking about the french and not the stinking Acadiens.... Just kidding.. thats kewl, never heard of him... did he do something?

Daz_Hockey
Joan of Arc!!!!

we had a nice BBQ in her Honour!!!!!

well......she did hear voices (shame they couldnt tell her that the english were gonna burn her alive!!!!)

actually, my favourite frenchman isnt a frenchman at all, but speaks french and has a french name (so thats gotta qualify him right?)

check out this link...the man was a genius, I'm not even mentioning the 51 out of 52 penalties......ladies and gentlemen, Madam et Monseir I give you....Matthew Le Tissier:

http://www.expat.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=40687

gopher
Being the soccer fanatic that I am, I have to say Michel Platini:

http://www.greatfootballplayers.com/michel-platini2.gif

Daz_Hockey
Michel Platini told Matt he was "the best player he's ever seen, a million times better than myself"

Toro
Inspector Clouseau.

I think not

missile
The real Cyrano de Bergerac and Annie Palliard.

Blackleaf

You mean, the guy who invaded your country, and the only Frenchman to ever defeat the English in a major battle?

Jay
I'm picking two...

Jacques Cartier

Samuel Champlain