Catalonia wants independence from Spain’s basket-case economy. Its people voted for independence.

The Spanish government — with the support of the European Union — decided that vote was “illegal”. They arrested the leaders of the Catalan independence movement.

They have now sentenced nine of them to prison terms of between ten and 13 years. Simply for organising a referendum on their *country’s freedom.

But the Spanish, and the EU, cannot bear political freedom...

ROD LIDDLE Spain and the EU cannot bear political freedom and that proves voting for Brexit was the right choice

Comment
Rod Liddle
17 Oct 2019

FASCISM is back in Spain, more than 40 years after dictator General Franco mercifully popped his clogs.

There are riots on the streets of Barcelona and the police are arresting everyone they see.

Police are arresting everyone they see in the Barcelona riots Credit: AFP or licensors

Catalonia wants independence from Spain’s basket-case economy. Its people voted for independence.

The Spanish government — with the support of the European Union — decided that vote was “illegal”. They arrested the leaders of the Catalan independence movement.

They have now sentenced nine of them to prison terms of between ten and 13 years. Simply for organising a referendum on their country’s freedom.

But the Spanish, and the EU, cannot bear political freedom. The former Catalan leader Carles Puigdemont is holed up in Brussels.

He said: “This Europe dances to the sound of the Spanish state, which prevents the representatives of more than two million European citizens from sitting in the European Parliament.”

That’s why what is happening in Spain is of deadly importance to what is *happening to us in the UK.

LOATHING OF DEMOCRACY

When parts of the UK, such as Scotland, fancy a bit of independence, we don’t arrest Nicola Sturgeon and shove her in prison for 13 years.

We let them have a proper referendum and vow to respect the outcome.

Spain wouldn’t have been able to get away with its actions were it not for the EU. And the EU cannot abide democracy.

It has connived with the Spanish government all the way through this *dispute. It cheered when the Catalan leaders were arrested.

But that’s not all.

The EU does not respect democracy in any of its member states, unless it *happens to coincide with EU policy.

It has mercilessly bullied the governments of both Poland and Hungary because they enacted legislation of which the Brussels bureaucrats did not approve.

MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE

It warned Austria that if its people chose the wrong president, the country would be penalised by the EU. It bullied the left-wing Syriza government in Greece.

On my way to the polling station three years ago, I was in two minds as to what way I should vote.

It seemed to me that both the Remain and Leave sides had good arguments to commend them.

In the end I voted Leave because of a nagging worry. And that worry was about the increasing political power of the European Union and its evident loathing of democracy.

Thank the Lord, for once in my life I made the right choice.

Everything that has happened in the EU over the past three years has made it crystal clear that we are better off outside this cumbersome, meddlesome organisation.

Former Catalan leader Carles Puigdemont has been holed up in Brussels Credit: Alamy Live News

The UK wouldn't shove Nicola Sturgeon in prison for wanting Scottish independence Credit: Getty Images - Getty

From the way it reacted to our Brexit vote, via the dictatorial attitudes towards governments with which it disagrees, to the burning streets of Barcelona.

Brexit has become hideously boring.

None of us knows what the hell is going to happen two or three days from now. Most of us just want the whole thing over.

But if ever you have a doubt that Brexit was exactly the right decision — just take a long, hard look at the EU today. And know, beyond all doubt, that we made the right choice.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/101522...reedom-brexit/