Well-preserved Viking sword found in Norwegian mountains

spaminator
Well-preserved Viking sword found in Norwegian mountains
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 08:06 AM EDT | Updated: Thursday, September 14, 2017 08:16 AM EDT
COPENHAGEN — A Norwegian archaeologist says a well-preserved, if rusty, iron sword dating to the Viking era has been found in southern Norway.
Lars Holger Piloe says the nearly one-metre-long sword was found slid down between rocks with the blade sticking out, and may have been left by a person who got lost in a blizzard and died on the mountain from exposure.
Piloe said Thursday the sword, dating from about 850-950 A.D., was found in Lesja, some 275 kilometres north of Oslo.
Piloe said the sword’s preservation was likely due to the quality of the iron, as well as the cold, dry conditions. It was found in late August by two men who were on a reindeer hunt some 1,640 metres above sea level.
In this photo taken on Sept. 4, 2017, archeologists and the two hunters who found an ancient Viking sword, search the site where it was discovered north of Oslo. (Espen Finstad/ Oppland county council via AP)

[youtube]xwTwY6YHfv8[/youtube]
Hunter discovers 1,100-year-old Viking sword on remote mountain | Metro News
Well-preserved Viking sword found in Norwegian mountains | World | News | Toront

Blackleaf
I was in the Jorvik Viking Centre earlier here in York. All about Viking York.

The city was founded by the Romans in 71AD when the 5,000 men of the Ninth Legion marched from Lincoln and set up camp. They called the city Eboracum.

In the late 800s the city, like much of northern England, came under Viking rule. They called the city Jorvik.

At the museum, in the city's Coppergate area, there is a whole see-through floor over the excavated remains of a Viking house.

There are exhibits of Viking swords, spears, bowls, shoes, socks, pots, board games, dice, a pan, padlocks, keys, swords, knives, etc - all excavated in Coppergate.

Best of all was the ghost train-like ride which took me through a life-like Viking town, with moving Viking mannequins (with their faces based on real Vikings from their skulls) going about their daily business: sat in their homes, gutting fish, selling their wares on the market. We travelled down streets of mud, and past houses with pigs in their gardens, heard the sounds and languages (including Old Norse, Old English and Old Welsh) and even smelled the Viking world. It was brilliant. Commentary in the carriage told me everything about what I saw.

http://youtu.be/IJ976COvE3I

coldstream
I wonder if its a Ulfberht Sword, the most famous of the Norse weaponry. It was made of high carbon steel that wasn't matched in quality until the 18th Century. Apparently there was a trade in knockoffs, which used the brand, but produced inferior quality product. A bad thing to find out in a pitched battle i would think.