Trudeau's government was nearly defeated on May 16


FiveParadox
Liberal
+1
#1
The government of the Right Honourable Justin Trudeau P.C., M.P., the Prime Minister, was nearly defeated yesterday, when the opposition parties coordinated with one another to catch the government off-guard. Despite the government's substantial majority in the House of Commons, a vote on bill C-10, An Act to amend the Air Canada Public Participation Act and to provide for certain other measures, came down to a tied vote, necessitating a tie-breaker by the Speaker.

The bill was being presented at report stage, and the government was expecting debate to continue for some time, as a member of the New Democratic Party caucus had proposed several amendments. Instead, though, the mover of the amendments hid outside the House when the bill was called, prompting the Assistant Deputy Speaker not to proceed with the amendments, and to go directly to the vote at report stage after sixty minutes of ringing the attendance bells.

Even after an hour of summoning members of Parliament from around the parliamentary precinct (and with many ministers away at economic meetings or at funerals), the votes came to 139 for the bill, and 139 against the bill. The Speaker was put into the rare position of having to use their casting vote — and following tradition, the Speaker voted in favour of the bill in the hopes that the House can come to its own decision by the time the bill approaches third reading.

If the vote had fallen by one for the government, the prime minister might have been in the rather embarrassing position of either turning the House upside-down in an attempt to maneuver an express vote re-committing the House's confidence in the government, or heading down to Rideau Hall to seek a dissolution of the legislature and a general election.
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
+1
#2
Quote: Originally Posted by FiveParadox View Post

The government of the Right Honourable Justin Trudeau P.C., M.P., the Prime Minister, was nearly defeated yesterday, when the opposition parties coordinated with one another to catch the government off-guard. Despite the government's substantial majority in the House of Commons, a vote on bill C-10, An Act to amend the Air Canada Public Participation Act and to provide for certain other measures, came down to a tied vote, necessitating a tie-breaker by the Speaker.


"Pride precedeth a fall"
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
#3  Top Rated Post
Glad to see so many Lieberal MPs taking their duties so seriously. Particularly after they now have that grueling 4 day work week.
 
relic
Free Thinker
#4
I notice you left out the part about the funeral,or somebody did. And it was the "Dippers"that took advantage of the shortage. the torys were asleep as usual
 
eh1eh
+1
#5
I'm sure it would have sparked an election.


NOT!

LOL.

Sweet post my Five friend.
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

Glad to see so many Lieberal MPs taking their duties so seriously. Particularly after they now have that grueling 4 day work week.


Yeah, but the days are long!
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1eh View Post

I'm sure it would have sparked an election.


NOT!

LOL.

Sweet post my Five friend.

That would be up to the GG I believe.
 
MHz
#8
Goes to show how sleazy the other side is. Good thing they didn't get into power as the sleze part would still be there.
 
MHz
#9
Would it have been a Canadian coup or one designed in international forces that would prefer the 'old ways' return. Here is a living example of how that works. The coup begins and then the facts start to come out. What is different this time is the Russia is willing to be a mediator of just flat out fund the disposed Government so the installed ones runs into unexpected problems, expensive problems so the coup is costing more that it is netting in funds. This might be part of a plan to grab all the oilfields when the price is at the bottom and once you have it there is nothing to control raising the prices 4 fold. The rich can still afford it and the loss in production only affects the lower class people. American coups are always run at shoestring budgets so resistance might not be futile.

Yep (in Case It Wasn't Obvious) US Was Behind Coup in Brazil

Latin American Countries Reject Coup Against Dilma Rousseff

Russia Offers a Hand to Latin American States Under US Attack