I'd rather die than abandon due process.

Machjo
If we want to introduce the death penalty for terrorists or attach CCTV cameras at every intersection to film all public spaces, by all means. If we want to legalize concealed or open carry of weapons, I'm for that too.

But we should never sacrifice a person's right to be presumed innocent until proved guilty at a public hearing and have access to the necessary resources for his defence. The day we sacrifice that is the day we become the very terrorists we are fighting.
Last edited by Machjo; Nov 15th, 2015 at 11:53 AM..

lone wolf
Free Thinker
...or partaking in an internet forum

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

...or partaking in an internet forum

Would you mind elaborating please?

Oh yes, and protection from arbitrary arrest and detention is included in this too.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
Prove it to yourself.... Say something not totally praising Harper or Israel and watch the one-brain-cellers point fingers and cast slurs

davesmom
Quote: Originally Posted by Machjo View Post

If we want to introduce the death penalty for terrorists or attach CCTV cameras at every intersection to film all public spaces, by all means. If we want to legalize concealed or open carry of weapons, I'm for that too.

But we should never sacrifice a person's right to be presumed innocent until proved guilty at a public hearing and have access to the necessary resources for his defence. The day we sacrifice that is the day we become the very terrorists we are fighting.

If a person is known to have participated in terrorist activities at any level at any time that should be probable cause for detaining him. Terrorism is not your run-of-the-mill crime and needs to be paid closer attention than the suspicion of any other activity.
Presumption of innocence has to be meted out with common sense in today's dangerous world. When an estranged wife obtains a restraining order against a husband whom she is threatened by, he is not 'presumed innocent'; he is presumed guilty. And in cases like that it should be so. Better to err on the side of caution when human lives are endangered.

Ludlow
No Party Affiliation
If I lost a family member It would be very difficult for me to sit back and wait on due process. OJ Simpson got "due process". We are human and emotions are a part of all of us.

Mowich
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by Machjo View Post

Never saw a problem with cameras on every street corner...........of course today one is just as liable to be caught by someone's phone and the vid loaded on you tube or something. As far as re-introducing the death penalty for terrorists, first I've heard that mentioned, it won't happen in Canada - no matter the government in power.